• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 554 Views, 3 Comments

Left 2 Die - ZombificationIsMagic

  • ...
 3
 554

Chapter 1

2 WEEKS AFTER FIRST INFECTION

“We have pills over here!” Silver said to her teammates as they walked through the alleyway of the former town of Manehattan. The 2 ponies walking through the destroyed alley slowly and carefully crept through the silent darkness.

“Hey Silver, when do you think this will all blow over?” Dex asked, taking a break from aiming down the sight of his AK.

The white coated mare let out a sigh before setting her bloody katana down and sitting against the dirty wall. “I’m not sure Dex...” She said with a mix of tiredness and sadness “I don’t know. I mean... look around, if Manehattan is this bad... who knows how Canterlot is. I mean, remember back in Ponyville? In just one day everything was in ruins!” She said to the red leather vest wearing pegasus stallion.

“Yeah, I remember,” Dex looked down with grief in his eyes, “Do you think anypony made it? I mean there has to be a safe zone that some unicorns must have made, all I really want to see is my band members again... they went to los pegasus while I stayed behind.”

“I know... we all hope someone we care for made it out.” Silver said, putting her hands in her red jacket’s pockets and resting her head on the wall, look up at the ash and smoke filled sky.

“Who knows...maybe there are some other ponies that are immune like us. I mean... we have both had those bastards take a bite or two on us?” Silver said playfully, trying to keep their spirits up.

“We can’t sit in one place too long, or else we’re going to get swarmed.” Dex said, offering his hand to her.

“I know I know... but I get first rest when we get to the next safe room. I got two hunters and a jockey while you got nothing but commons.” She said, taking the hand Dex offered.

Silver picked up her katana and placed it on her back, pulling out her hunting rifle and making sure it was loaded. A loud roar filled the silence as the three sat in the alley.

“Come on Dexy! Ass moving now!” Silver shouted to the stallion as she started moving forward through the alley.

“Go, go, go.” Dex shouted, pointing in the direction of a safe house. As they ran, he turned and fired a few rounds of AK ammo into the oncoming horde, Silver was leading the trio with her katana cutting through the swarming infected in the front of them.

“Smoker!” Silver shouted as the smoker wrapped her in it’s tongue and started to pull her in, “HELP!”

Dex aimed his weapon at the smoker’s head and fired, killing it instantly. He helped Silver up, “Happy Hearth's Warming Silver, now lets get moving.” He said as they both ran to the safe room.

As Silver cleared the path to the bright red door, she turned around to let her comrade file in. Before going in herself, she pulled out her pipe bomb and tossed it back down the alleyway with a few audible beeps.

“Fire in the hole!” She yelled before slamming the door shut and ducking for cover. Two seconds later, the alleyway lit up with the explosion as dead chunks of zombies went flying, some through the gated window of the safe house door.

Dex put his back against a wall and slid down to a sitting position, “That was bad timing,” He said, wiping the sweat from his brow, “I sure hope the elements made it through, they’re most likely our only hope.”

“Ummm... sorry to say Dex but...” Silver said taking a seat next to the red stallion, “I doubt friendship can even save us this time. I mean... sure it may have beat Discord. But this is nothing compared to that! This is just... I don’t know, madness!”

“Who knows, this could be another thing that requires a little friendship to overcome.” He said between breaths.

“And what if the elements didn’t make it Dex? I mean... you and I both saw how quickly things went to hell.”

“To be honest, I think Celestia knew what was coming so she flew to a safe zone and established a base of operations, she is there with the elements and zecora trying to find a cure for this or they are planning on using the elements at some point.” He said resting his head against the wall.

Silver didn’t say anything to that. She honestly didn’t know whether to believe it or not. When Ponyville was hit, she wouldn’t have made it out if it weren’t for Dex. She was one of the town’s few music experts, and she was at her home listening to her music when a cart crashed through her home.

Preferring not to remember the carnage, she decided to try her best to keep their spirits up. “Dont get too comfy Dexy, you’re on first watch tonight while I find us something to eat.” She said, getting up from her seat and going over to the multiple boxes scattered around the warehouse safe room.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know,” He said, standing up and walking to the table covered in supplies left by other survivors. Dex picked up a pump-action shotgun, “Aaalright, this will blast a hole through those undead freaks,” he felt bad for calling his former friends freaks, but they weren’t friends of his anymore.

Silver looked through the boxes for supplies as Dex kept watch. Most of the stuff was just empty cardboard boxes filled with rolled up bubble wrap, but there were a few that had some crackers, med-packs, and pain pills inside. For some reason a few boxes were just holding smaller boxes inside, and even stranger, one box had a weird lawn gnome inside with a help me sign.

After looking through all the boxes, she had a box of crackers, a can of beans, and some food in her pack from earlier scavenging trips.

“What would you like tonight Dex? Any request from your favorite chef?” She said sarcastically.

Dex chuckled, “Funny. Now that you mention it, I could go for a thing of hay fries, and a daisy sandwich,” He said laughing, “Nah, just hand me a packet of crackers and I’m good, I’m just glad we have some canteens filled with water ready to hose them down though.”

Silver now had a sly grin on her face at the mention of drinks. One that didn’t go unnoticed by Dex.

“What’s up Silver you look like you got something planned.” He said walking over to her, “What’s going on in that pretty little head of yours Silver?”

“Well, remember that old house with the fridge we found back a few blocks?” she said pulling her pack onto her lap.

“Ah yes, the one that had some pop in it how could I forget.” He said smiling at the memory of the taste.

“Well, after that little bit of soda that was left there, I may have snuck off into a small store while you were setting up a perimeter and grabbed us some drinks for the go!” She said pulling out two bottled sodas. “Which flavor would you like, I got cherry coke, vanilla coke, root beer and orange soda?” She said, imitating an old fashioned vender.

“One root beer please.” He said giving her a smile, “ And maybe a receipt with your digits on it.” He said chuckling.

“In your dreams Dexy, you know we both play on the same team. And besides, if I was that way you’d be like that annoying brother I always have to get out of trouble!” She said tossing him the root beer.

He laughed, “Well shit Silver, I thought I had a chance there.” He opened the root beer, “Well let’s celebrate another long day of surviving the infection.”

“Here’s to surviving with family right?” She said, lifting her bottle of cherry coke to him before taking a big gulp.

“So Dex, what’s our plan in the morning? Any idea on where we should head?” She asked.

“Hmmmm...” Dex pulled out a foldable map of Equestria from his vest pocket, “Well, lets see, the closest city from here is Cloudsdale, but its floating luckily we are both pegasi so we can get there and hopefully the infection couldn’t hit it like it did Ponyville.”

“And what if we find it brought down? How far would Baltimare be from here?”

Dex studied the map, “Baltimare would be about a two hour trot from Cloudsdale, and if Cloudsdale was brought down then we are screwed big time. It would take years to get the weather systems back up and running.”

“Well... from how it’s been so far? I’d say the weather teams are either on vacation or-”

He cut her off, “Don’t say dead, I don’t want to hear it. I know it would be better to assume that, but let me keep some of my fantasy of bringing this world back alive.”

Silver didn’t say anything for a bit, knowing she struck a nerve. Like Dex had done with her when she was first getting used to this new life of a survivor. She had wanted to keep looking for her family and friends, Dex made a comment just like she had just made.

“I-I’m sorry Dex. I know I shouldn't have said that...” Silver apologized.

“It’s alright Silver, I just want to believe we could get things back to the way it was, we have to stick together now, we’re basically a family now,” He stood from the chair he had sat in to study the map, “Thats why I’m apologizing now for any attempts to hit on you through the rest of the time we are out here, no matter what game you play.”

Feeling a chuckle come on, she couldn't help but let it out. Dex was right, they were a family now. She was the little sister and he was the big step brother... who always tried to hit on his little step sister.

“Do you think there’s any others like us? You know, immune?” She asked.

“Of course,” Dex pointed to the covered body on the floor, “You can’t possibly tell me you didn’t notice that, and judging by the blood on the sheet, it’s fresh.”

“Yeah, I was beginning to wonder what smelled like a boomer jizzed on a tank. Guess its not you
after all.” she said teasingly.

“Ha ha funny, this body has only been sitting here for about a day or so,” He began to lift the sheet, “lets see if we knew you at all buddy.” All at once the sheet was removed revealing an unfamiliar face, “Well then, it’s nopony I know.”

Not sure whether to be relieved or not, Silver just let out a sigh and turned away from the gruesome body. “You’d think we would find a safe room with other living survivors once in awhile... and less gnomes.” She said with a bit of a shiver. She may have been an official zombie killer by now, but gnomes were still on her list of creepy fears.

“This is how it’s going to be from now on, finding a few dead survivors here and there,” He stood up and placed a hand on the wall, “and a few writings from family members and friends to those who were separated.”

“Don’t forget the crazy, funny theories some of them have on all this.” She said still trying to keep things as light as she can.

“Heh, you mean like Celestia doesn’t care she’s just planning on blowing the entire area up and restarting with changelings.” He said chuckling, “That’s ridiculous.”

“Or the one that said it’s from Shining Armor banging the changeling Queen and releasing their children to infect us all?” She said laughing as some soda squirted out of her nose.

He laughed, “That one too,” He stood up and looked out the window and watched the sun slowly rise, “Well, there’s your proof that Celestia is still alive as well as her sister.”

“Yeah... I know they are still out there. I just worry about them I guess...” She said, watching the sun rise from the barred window. It wasn’t as peaceful and beautiful as a sun rise used to be... but it still brought her that sense of hope even with the light showing the destruction all around.

A zombie ran into view and slammed into the barred door, Dex lifted his shotgun and blew its head off, “Honey, looks like the neighbors are drunk again.” He said chuckling.

“I hear ya, guess its time to move again ain’t it Dexy?” She said packing away the sodas and supplies in her pack. She went over to the weapons table to grab her gear for the next while; her katana from last night and a silenced SMG.

“Got everything Dex?” she asked, loading a clip into her gun.


“Of course,” He replaced the ammo he had shot, “You ready? Because the first thing we are going to encounter is the sorority next door.” He said keeping a few feet away from the door.

“Aww, hope it wasn’t a women’s fraternity. I’d hate to have to shoot some cute, barely clothed cuties.” She said kicking the door down before Dex could get the pleasure.

“Aww, you’re no fun,” He said aiming down the sight

As she entered the light, the first infected she saw was instantly taken down by her katana.

Just another day of surviving.