• Published 2nd Apr 2021
  • 1,542 Views, 4 Comments

Affection - RainstormRiddles



Fluttershy invites the CMCs to stay at her house for the night on account of Applejack and Rarity being on another date. When Rainbow Dash show's up, Apple Bloom may learn that Scootaloo's sister is not as immune to love as they'd thought.

  • ...
0
 4
 1,542

Affection

Affection

Again?” Apple Bloom groaned. Of course he sister would be leaving her home alone once more. Well, okay fine, not alone, alone, Big Macintosh and Granny Smith would still be home. But it was her older sister Applejack that she’d always looked up to, and she missed spending the evenings with her.

But of course, Applejack and her friends were the superheroes of Canterlot city now, always off chasing down rouge magic. Apple Bloom loved that her sister was a real live superhero, she really did. And she loved spending time with all of her sister’s friends as well, but…

“I know, sugercube,” Applejack tried to console as she traded out textbooks in her locker. “I’ve not been around home as often as I should be, an’ I know that isn’t fair to you. But I promised Rarity at least one night together this week.” Applejack rolled her eyes and made air quotes, “you know the “romantic” kind of evening.” She shook her head as she closed the locker, but Apple Bloom saw the goofy smile tugging at the corners of her sister’s mouth.

That was the other thing that seemed to occupy a lot of Applejack’s time these days. Ever since she and Rarity had made their relationship official, they’d been trying to make time for each other separate from the rest of their friends.

Apple Bloom was thrilled that her sister was in a relationship, and with Rarity of all people. If it continued on for some years, that meant she and Sweetie Bell would become legal sisters! The two did often offer to let Apple Bloom, Sweetie Bell, and even Scootaloo to come with them at whichever house they decided to meet up at, but they always refused. While Apple Bloom knew their dates didn’t really go beyond an occasional dinner out and evenings working on collaborative projects, she wasn’t really interested in witnessing any of the lovey dovey stuff that came with those dates.

And Apple Bloom knew her sister wasn’t entirely immune to the love bug’s bite, despite what Applejack would have people believe.

“Okay, fine,” Apple Bloom sighed. “But we still get to spend Saturday and Sunday practicing for the rodeo, right?” It was still a couple weeks off, but this was the first year she’d be able to compete in some of the events.

“Of course, Apple Bloom,” Applejack promised. “We’ll have the rest of the weekend for sure, I promise.”

Apple Bloom smiled and relaxed. When Applejack promised something, she never went back on it.

~*~

“Uuuug” Sweety Bell slouched down into seat next in between Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. She tossed her phone carelessly onto the table. “Rarity’s kicking me out of the house again.”

“She’s what?” Applebloom looked up from her textbook in surprise. It was study hour, and as per usual they’d gathered in the school’s library. For once she was actually doing her homework in the hour so that she wouldn’t have to do it this weekend.

“Well, not really,” Sweetie Belle admitted. “But she does want me to see if I can spend the night with one of you guys so she can have her date with Applejack without me in the way.”

“Come on, its no that bad, is it?” Scootaloo shrugged. “I thought you guys were happy your sisters were dating each other.”

“No, no, we are,” Sweetie Belle pulled her phone back over to her absently. “It’s just that Rarity’s been pretty distant lately, even more than usual. I can’t remember the last time we had any sister bonding.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that,” a new but familiar voice joined their conversation. Fluttershy sat down adjacent to the trio with her own notepad and textbook. “Do you girls really feel that left out?”

“Well…” Sweetie Belle spun her phone around with a finger.

“It’s fine,” Apple Bloom quickly cut in. “I mean, we knew this was bound to happen when they said they were together now.”

“Still,” Fluttershy frowned, “we did make a promise to include you girls more often.”

Apple Bloom knew that Fluttershy was thinking back to the whole Anon-a-miss fiasco last year, and she felt her face gain a little heat.

“S’alright,” she shrugged off. “It’s just for tonight.”

Fluttershy tilted her head and tapped her pencil thoughtfully. “Well, if you girls would like, you could come to my house for the night. I can’t promise anything too exciting, but I’m sure we could find something fun to do.”

“Really?” Sweetie Belle certainly sounded excited by the offer.

Apple Bloom liked that idea. She didn’t really spend that much time with Applejack’s friends when her sister wasn’t also around, so this could be a fun way to shake things up.

Fluttershy smiled. “Oh yes, my parents are taking my brother, Zephyr, to a special seminar about writing resumes this weekend. It’s out of town, so I’m on my own anyway.”

“I’m in!” Sweetie Belle declared.

“Yeah, it could be fun,” Scootaloo agreed.

“Sure, why not,” Apple Bloom nodded. “I’ll let Granny know.

“Great, I’ll just drive you there after school if that’s all right? So long as none of you are allergic to cats?”

“Nope, I think it’s just Opal,” Sweety deadpanned.

~*~

It was true what Fluttershy said about not having anything particularly exciting to do, but she was still a lot of fun. When they got to her house, she soon revealed the reason she’d asked about cat allergies.

Fluttershy had in her room four tiny kittens that she’d brought home from the shelter. They were too young to be adopted, and being orphaned meant they needed near constant care. So, that meant she’d be bottle feeding them until they were old enough to eat solid cat food, at which time they’d be given permanent homes.

Sweetie Belle almost died when she saw them, begging to be first to feed one. Apple Bloom was no stranger to caring for baby animals, but kittens were a lot cuter than piglets.

“Can’t we play with them?” Scootaloo asked when Fluttershy took the final baby and put it back in the incubator.

“I’m afraid they’re too young for that just yet,” Fluttershy explained. “Right now, they mostly just eat and sleep. But you girls would be welcome to come back after a couple weeks when they have more energy.”

After that she took them down to the kitchen to make cookies. It was nothing fancy like what Pinkie Pie tended to make, just simple sugar cookies, but Fluttershy was good at walking them through the process.

She showed them how to craft their own custom cookie cutters out of tinfoil, something the girls had never thought to do before. And they decided to really fly with the idea.

“Ooh, ooh! What if we added some stars and hearts up here!” Sweety Bell pointed towards the top of their creation.

“I’m not so sure that's going to turn out the way you…”

“Nah, we should do a pair of wings instead!” Scootaloo began twisting her chunk of foil.”

“The dough probably won’t support…”

“I feel like it needs lasers,” Apple Bloom said thoughtfully.

“Oh, dear, I think we may have missed the concept.” Fluttershy took a long look at the calamity of tinfoil that made up the girls one giant cookie cutter. “It’s pretty creative,” she said as the girls finally turned to pay attention, “but, um, I don’t think it’s going to make an effective cookie.

Apple Bloom cocked her head. “Why not?” Sure, their creation didn’t look like an ordinary cookie cutter, but she didn’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.

Then Fluttershy pulled out one of the baking sheets, and she saw the problem. “Oh, I guess it’s a might too big…” Apple Bloom didn’t have to hold it up to know that their cutter would have pieces hanging over the edge.

“It’s alright,” Fluttershy said. She pulled out another swath of tinfoil. “Tinfoil is pretty cheap. You girls can keep that one as a piece of art, and we can make some smaller ones for the cookies. Just try to keep it no bigger than your hand this time, alright?” She passed them all a new sheet.

“Yes, Fluttershy!” Sweetie Belle nodded.

“I think I’ll make a rocket,” Scootaloo said as she started folding.

Just then, a loud knocking at the door interrupted them.

Apple Bloom exchanged a confused glance with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, then they all looked to Fluttershy expectantly. Only, she seemed just as confused by a visitor as they were.

“I’ll go see who it is.” Fluttershy shed her apron and made her way to the front door. As opposed to opening it right away, she looked through the peephole uncertainly. As soon as she did, Fluttershy relaxed and visibly brightened as she quickly unlatched the door, something Applebloom took as a good sign.

“Rainbow!” Apple Bloom couldn’t see her, but she saw Fluttershy move to hug who was behind the door.

“Hey, Fluttershy, I was wondering if-“

“Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo exclaimed. She dropped her craft and rushed off to greet her surrogate sister.

With a shrug, Apple Bloom set hers down as well and went to go see, and Sweetie Belle quickly followed.

“Oh, hey squirt!” Rainbow returned Scootaloo’s waist high hug with one arm. She peered inside to see the other two. “You didn’t tell me you were having the CMC’s over tonight.”

“It was a little last minute,” Fluttershy said. “They’re here to have fun while Rarity and Applejack are on their date.”

“Oh yeah, I remember they said they’d be going out tonight.” Rainbow ran a hand through her ponytail. “Well, if you’ve already got company, then I’ll just-“

Scootaloo gasped, “Can you stay?” She gave Fluttershy the puppy eyes while practically latching herself onto Rainbow Dash.

“Of course she’s welcome to stay. That is, if you want to?” She directed the question at Rainbow Dash in an almost hopeful manner.

“Sure I can,” Dash grinned. “I don’t have anything going on tonight anyway, which was why I was stopping by.”

Fluttershy tilted her head and gave a grin. “Were you lonely,” she cooed in a rather teasing fashion, something Apple Bloom had never seen her do before. It was sort of amusing to see it come from her.

“What, me? No,” Rainbow bluffed off. “Nah, I just wanted to see if you wanted to work on any of the songs we need to finish.”

“We can do that later tonight, after the girls are in bed,” Fluttershy promised. She grabbed Rainbow’s hand and pulled her inside so she could shut the door.

Oh yeah, Applejack once mentioned that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were the Rainbooms’ primary songwriters. She knew Applejack wrote one song, and has at least helped with another. She wondered if these two got together often to work on them.

“Oh, can we help with a song?” Sweetie Belle asked eagerly. Apple Bloom could only guess how much her friend would love to co-write a song for a popular band. And the Rainbooms were a popular band, at least locally.

“Yeah, we can totally write songs!” Scootaloo agreed. “Remember that one we wrote for the talent show?”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy both cringed.

“Well, um, we’ll see,” Fluttershy rubbed the back of her hand. “For now, how about we just finish making those cookies?”

“Ooh, there’s cookies!” Rainbow detached herself from Scootaloo so she could race off to the kitchen.

“No, Rainbow, wait!” Fluttershy ran in after her. “They haven’t been baked yet!”

Apple Bloom grinned as she and her friends climbed back onto their stools at the counter.

“That’s cool, I like cookie dough.” Rainbow Dash made to snatch a pinch, but Fluttershy batted her hand away.

“If you want some, then you have to help.” She handed her a strip of folded foil.

“Uggg, fiiiiine.” Rainbow melodramatically dragged out another stool and seated herself, and Fluttershy shot her a look that Apple Bloom could only describe as something between amused and exasperated.

“So, uh, what am I supposed to do with this?”

“We’re making cookie cutters.” Sweetie Belle held up the music note she was forming.

“Oh, yeah sure, I can do that…” Rainbow Dash frowned down at her strip, “…I think…”

“Here, I already showed the girls,” Fluttershy leaned over and brushed shoulders with Dash as she described how it worked.

Not caring to hear the instructions again, Apple Bloom tried to think of what she wanted her cookie cutter to be. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were already half way done.

After a bit of thought, she decided on a potion vial. It might not be all that elaborate of a cookie cutter, but Fluttershy had promised that she had some fun frostings and sprinkles they could decorate with, which meant she’d get to have a lot of creativity once they were baked.

While they worked on the finishing touches of their cutters, Fluttershy started to roll out the dough in-between them. When she went to go turn the oven on, Rainbow quickly took the opportunity to try to sneak a little corner.

Snap

“Ow,” Rainbow nearly fell off her stool, and Fluttershy innocently folded up a dish towel.

The other girls snickered lightly, as Rainbow gave a pout.

Apple Bloom leaned over and whispered to Scootaloo, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen Rainbow Dash this… I don’t know, playful?” The truth was that Applejack was normally also around whenever Apple Bloom saw Rainbow Dash, and they had a well known competitive streak. This was something entirely new from her perspective.

Scootaloo just shrugged though. “Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have known each other a really long time. Rainbow’s a prankster and likes to mess with people, so this is how she does it here.”

Apple Bloom took Scootaloo’s word for it. She and Rainbow might not be actual sisters, but they did spend a lot of time together. Almost more than she and Applejack did these Days.

“Alright girls, once you’re done go ahead and start cutting the dough so we can get these in the oven,” Fluttershy said.

“Um, I think I did something wrong…” Rainbow Dash held up her wrinkled piece of foil. It had the general shape of a lightning bolt, but was lopsided and floppy instead of straight edged and stiff. “Do I still get a cookie for trying?”

“Hmm, I don’t know… what do you girls think?”

“Sure,” Apple Bloom laughed. It wasn’t like they’d be eating them all anyway.

“We could make her do the dishes,” Sweetie Belle suggested.

“What?”

“Ooh, that’s a good idea!” Scootaloo agreed.

“Scootaloo, don’t betray me!”

“All in favor?” Apple Bloom raised her hand, and everyone else save for Rainbow Dash raised their hands as well.

“Oh come on, that’s not fair, is it?” She gave Fluttershy a pleading look.

“Sorry Dashie, what’s that saying you like to use? The crowd has spoken?”

“Fine, fine” Rainbow raised her hands in defeat.

“Come on,” Fluttershy guided her to the sink mirthfully, “there really isn’t all that much.”

Apple Bloom started to press her cookie cutter into the dough. It wasn’t a perfect construction, but it was really satisfying to see the dough be cut out in her design instead of just the generic stars and hearts. At least you could definitely tell that hers was a bottle. Scootaloo’s Rocket was hard to identify and Sweetie Belle’s music note kind of looked like a legless flamingo.

They fit as many cutouts on their sheet of dough as they could, the cutters getting flimsier and a little more misshapen with each cut.

“Awe man,” Scootaloo held up her rocket, which was now more of an egg with spikes. “I was hoping I’d be able to use this with my aunts.”

“Sorry,” Fluttershy gave her a sympathetic look as she started to move the cookies onto a sheet. “I should have told you that the tinfoil won't hold it’s shape for more than a batch. But the good news is that they’re easy to make, so you can always make more at home.”

She put the cookies in the oven just as Rainbow Dash drained the sink and flicked the last soap suds off her hands. “How long till they come out?”

“These ones only take about fifteen minutes, but I want to make us some dinner to have before we eat.”

“Awe, you’re going to make us eat real food? I’m sure there’s enough cookies to make a full dinner.”

“Not with you in the house.” Fluttershy started to usher Rainbow Dash and the CMC’s out of her kitchen. “Go take the girls outside and I’ll get you when it’s ready.”

“Yes mom.”

Fluttershy reached for her dish towel again.

“We’re going, we’re going!” Rainbow hurried them all to the back of the house and outside.

There was still a good bit of daylight out with probably a half hour before the sun kissed the horizon. A community cat was lazing about in the lush grass, unconcerned about the intruders. A few birds flew between the almost-empty feeders hanging from the roof and some stands. Apple Bloom counted at least seven on a first glance.

Fluttershy’s family lived on the edge of a forest, so instead of a fence to mark the end of the yard there was a tree line.

“So what do you guy’s want to do?” Rainbow Dash asked them. She lifted the lid off a wood barrel next the door and pulled out a scooper full of seed. She messed around with the seeds a bit, then unhooked a feeder from the roof and started to fill it. She raised an eyebrow at the girls, waiting for an answer.

“We could go exploring in the forest!” Scootaloo suggested.

“Nah, I don’t want to make Shy look for us,” Rainbow said as she pulled down another feeder. “Plus, I think there’s a couple of bears in there.”

“Awe, but it would be so much fun,” Sweetie Belle pleaded.

“Couldn’t you just run us all back super-fast if there’s any trouble?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah, come on, Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo said, “you’ve got superpowers, so it’s not like anything bad is going to happen.”

“That’s true.,” Dash grinned, “but nah, I don’t want to make Fluttershy upset. Maybe later if she lets us.”

“But then, what are we going to do?” Scootaloo wined. “There’s nothing to do out here.”

“Sure there is, there’s…” Rainbow hesitated as she looked around. “Oh! I’m pretty sure I left a soccer ball here once. Wait, no, I think I kicked it into the woods last time…” She thought for a moment. “You could play with the chickens?” Maybe see if you can get some eggs?” she shrugged.

Apple Bloom frowned as she watched Rainbow sprout her winds and ears so that she could reach the high up feeders. “That’s a chore I always do on the farm.”

“Oh, I know!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Dash, can you give us a ride? Please?”

Rainbow Dash looked confused briefly before her eyes widened and she glanced at her wings with a grin. “Sure thing kid!”

She swooped down in a spectral blur, and suddenly Scootaloo was no longer standing next Apple Bloom. She watched as her friend was tossed high in the air and then caught again and guided into a flip. It looked almost as terrifying as it did fun, but based on Scootaloo’s cries of delight she was having a lot of fun.

After a minute, Rainbow dropped Scootaloo onto the roof. Panting, she looked down at the other two. “Who’s next?”

“Me next!” Sweetie raised her hand excitedly. “I’ve never gone flying before.”

Rainbow grabbed Sweetie Belle’s raised hand and pulled her into the air. Apple Bloom noticed that she was a little more careful when giving Sweetie Belle a ride as opposed to the crazy stunts she’d done with Scootaloo.

All too soon, Sweetie Belle’s turn had ended and Apple Bloom realized that meant she was up next. She felt exhilarated and anxious, and was honestly glad that Rainbow Dash didn’t give her the chance to back out.

One moment Rainbow was in the sky, then blue feathers filled the edge of her vision and she felt sure hands grip her at the sides.

And then she was flying.

Apple Bloom whooped as she was tossed upward. This was just like riding a fancy roller coaster! The world around was made a blur of color and she focused on the rush feeling of going up and down, speeding up and then finally slowing to a glide.

Why couldn’t Applejack get wings?

Apple Bloom barely registered the sound of a gasp, then Rainbow flipped her around so that she landed on her back. They were hovering in the air, and Apple Bloom looked down to see Fluttershy looking up at them.

Whoa, they were higher than she realized. She found herself laughing as her insides settled.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing?” Fluttershy’s own wings flashed out of her back so she could fly up to meet them, and her ears were pressed against her head.

“Hey Fluttershy, just having some fun with the girls!”

“But that’s not safe, Rainbow! What if you dropped them?” She’d caught up to their height and was glancing nervously between the girls on the roof below and Rainbow.

“What, you mean like this?”

Rainbow Dash suddenly rolled out from beneath Apple Bloom, and she felt herself falling again. Fluttershy yelped, but just as quickly Rainbow was back underneath Apple Bloom, and with a few powerful wing strokes she’d returned to Fluttershy’s height.

“See? Nothing to worry about.”

“I’ll have to disagree,” Fluttershy gave Apple Bloom a worried look, so she smiled to try and show that she was perfectly fine.

“What if they were to fall off the roof?” Fluttershy looked back down at Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, who waved up at them. Apple Bloom waved back.

“I can get to the hospital pretty fast.”

“Rainbow!”

“Kidding!” Rainbow Dash got close enough to put her hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “Fluttershy, you know I’d catch them if they fell. I’ve been paying attention, I promise.” They locked gazes for a while before Fluttershy finally relaxed.

“As long as no one gets hurt, I suppose it’s alright,” she sighed.

“Great! So let’s take them for a glide and show them how great a sunset is from up high.” She started to bank toward the roof.

Apple Bloom realized that Rainbow Dash was right, the blue was already tinged with pink and the few clouds that were scattered about were edged with color.

“Can we?” She asked excitedly.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Fluttershy wrung her hands together as she landed on the roof. “I’ve never tried to carry anyone before.”

“It’s not hard,” Rainbow assured her. “Just let Sweetie Belle climb on your back, and then fly like normal. I can carry Scoot’s and Apple Bloom.”

“Please,” Sweetie Belle asked. “Flying is so much fun!”

She hesitated, but then nodded. “Just a little while, okay?”

“You got it!” Rainbow gave her a salute then Apple Bloom held on as she swooped to pick Scootaloo up in her arms.

Fluttershy knelt down to allow Sweetie Belle to climb on, then followed them up into the sky.

Rainbow Dash took the lead and steadily climbed higher up.

Now that they weren’t spinning around, Apple Bloom could get a real appreciation for the view. Sure, she’d flown in airplanes once or twice, but being able to actually feel the wind and clearly see what she was looking at made this way better. She kinda hoped they’d go all the way up to the clouds, but Rainbow Dash leveled off just a little ways above the trees.

“Awe man,” Apple Bloom heard Scootaloo complain from below. “Can’t we go fast again, Rainbow Dash?”

“Sorry, squirt, but carrying two of ya is enough of a challenge for now. ‘Sides, we don’t want to leave our friends behind.” Rainbow Dash arced in the sky so that she was flying above then beside Fluttershy and Sweetie Belle.

Fluttershy gave them a smile, then took the lead. She guided them over the forest to a small lake. The waster was amber in the fading light, almost glowing between the trees.

“Oh yeah, this is a good spot,” Rainbow agreed when Fluttershy stopped to hover.

“Thanks.” Fluttershy was panting a little, and Apple Bloom realized that Rainbow’s breathing was also a little labored.

“How long can you guys fly for?” she leaned over to ask.

“Eh, it’s like any other muscles, really. The more you use them, the easier it gets, but you’ll still get tired eventually. Don’t worry about it kid, I’ve flown around for way longer than this before.” She looked back over to the other two.

They stayed for a few moments to admire the sky’s colorful display, then Apple Bloom was surprised when it was Rainbow Dash who initiated the return flight.

“Come on,” she said, “we ought to get back before it gets much darker.”

“Just a few more minutes?” Sweetie Belle asked. “It’s so pretty up here!”

“Sorry, Sweetie,” Fluttershy said, “but flying’s not so fun when you can’t see what you might fly into.”

When they landed back in the yard, the sun had almost completely vanished. Apple Bloom was glad to climb off of Rainbow Dash and stretch her legs out; she wasn’t the most comfortable thing to ride.

Both of the older teens seemed pretty beat from the impromptu workout, but in a good way. Rainbow pulled Fluttershy into a side hug as they led the way into the house.

“You did good with that flight, Flutters,” Apple Bloom heard her say. Huh, she hadn’t heard anyone use that nickname before. Of course, she was only around her sister’s friends so often.

“Foods going to be a bit cold,” Fluttershy said once she made it to the kitchen, “so give me a minute to microwave it.” She started spooning something out of a pot and onto microwaveable plates. “You girls can go find a spot at the table, I’ll be right there. Rainbow, give me a hand please?”

From her seat in the dining room, Apple Bloom saw Rainbow Dash peek over Fluttershy’s shoulder and grin at what she saw. “Is that your homemade macaroni and cheese?” She sounded genuinely excited. “And here I thought you were going to make me eat healthy.”

With a smirk, Fluttershy pressed a large bowl of salad into Rainbow’s hands.

“Must be really good,” Apple Bloom said to the other crusaders, who nodded their approval.

Rainbow Dash soon jogged over with the salad bowl and one of the heated plates, handing it over Sweetie Belle.

The sight of the cheese covered curly noodles made her mouth water. Thankfully, Fluttershy soon followed with two more plates. “Go ahead, you don’t have to wait,” she said when she noticed the girl’s hesitation.

Gratefully, Apple Bloom dug her fork into the hot noodles and took a bite. Whoa, this was way better than the store-bought stuff! Very different, it’s texture wasn’t as creamy and smooth, but the flavor was powerful. She normally ate homemade stuff, but more along the baked range instead of pastas like this.

The older girls soon joined them with their own plates. Rainbow’s serving was noticeably at least twice as large as anyone else’s, the pasta nearly filling the whole plate. With a roll of her eyes, Fluttershy grabbed the salad tongs and put a pinch of greens next to the mountain of cheese.

“Be sure to have some salad as well, girls,” she advised the crusaders.

Not wanting to be disrespectful, Apple Bloom took the tongs and served herself a sizable helping. She rather liked salads anyway.

“We get to finish those cookies after dinner, right?” Scootaloo asked between large mouthfuls.

“Oh right, I can go ahead and get the frostings ready,” she started to get back up to go to the kitchen, but Rainbow Dash grabbed her shirt and pulled her back down.

“They can wait a minute for you to actually eat.”

With a light blush Fluttershy started to pick at her own food.

~*~

When dinner was done and the dishes returned to the sink, the cookie decorating began. Fluttershy mixed a simple frosting and let the girls use food coloring to create the colors they wanted. She only had some basic star shaped and glitter sprinkles, but they were good enough.

Apple Bloom collected all her potion bottle cookies and set to work. She took her time to outline the boarders in white, then fill in the empty space with the colors. She designed them so that they’d look like they contained various liquids, using the sprinkles for ‘magic’ effects.

It took nearly an hour before she was done, and she was satisfied with the results. Scootaloo had tried to accurately paint her first few rockets, but by the fourth she’d given up and decided to just go with abstract art like Sweetie Belle, mixing colors and sprinkles on a whim.

Having not taken as much time and care with their culinary art, they’d already finished and moved to the living room with their cookies on platters. Apple Bloom gathered the last of hers onto her own plate and joined them, setting them on the coffee table in front of the couch.

There were already several cookies missing from her friends’ stashes, crumbs lingering where they had been. She was very tempted to eat one of her own, but after all that work she’d put into making them look nice… Apple Bloom wasn’t sure she wanted to ruin any of them yet.

“Those turned out really well,” Fluttershy complimented her as she walked back into the kitchen to get something.

“Nice work kid,” Rainbow agreed with a nod. “I think Twilight would be proud, though I hope you’re not growing into an egghead.” She gave Apple Bloom a playful wink.

Scootaloo took a closer look at the cookies and frowned. “Did you have to make ours look so bad?”

“If you’d just slow down an’ take your time every once in a while, it might turn out better,” Apple Bloom retorted.

Scootaloo wrinkled her nose. “But that takes forever.”

“No it doesn’t.”

“Girls, let’s not argue please,” Fluttershy said, having returned to the living room with two steaming cups. “Try some of this vanilla chi, it goes really nicely with cookies.” She gave one of the mugs to Apple Bloom.

“Ooh, is that the tea that I actually like?” Rainbow Dash sat up.

“Yes Rainbow, it’s the one with lots of cream and sugar.” Fluttershy gave the second one to Scootaloo.

“Sweet! You kids should definitely try it, it’s like the Fluttershy version of hot cocoa.”

Fluttershy blushed at that and quickly started to retreat to the kitchen.

“Here, Shy,” Rainbow Dash got up and followed, “lemme help carry those.”

Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow as she watched them leave. “Hey, uh, Scootaloo?”

“Hmph?” Scootaloo acknowledged from behind her mug.

“Have you, uh, ever seen what Rainbow Dash is like when she’s got a crush on someone?”

Scootaloo lowered her mug and gave Apple Bloom a very perplexed expression. “Uh, not really no?” She shrugged. “Rainbow’s too cool for any of that mushy stuff, she doesn’t need it. I know a few guys’ve asked her out before, but she’s always turned them down. I mean what kind of guy could impress Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo returned to her drink with another shrug, apparently having nothing more to say on the subject.

Apple Bloom scrunched her eyebrows in thought. Scootaloo knew Rainbow Dash better than either she or Sweetie Belle. She had a point in that no one would likely be able to impress and woo her, but what if it were the other way around…?

Apple Bloom looked over to Sweetie Belle, and her smile stated clearly that she’d picked up on what Apple Bloom was wondering about. She didn’t have the chance to ask for her opinion.

Rainbow Dash was back, and she gave Sweetie Belle one of her two mugs before sitting back down on the couch. Fluttershy soon followed with her own drink.

Then again, Scootaloo had said that these two were old friends and had always been close. That really could be all it was. Being around Applejack and her new girlfriend was probably skewing her perspective.

They enjoyed their drinks around idle chatter until an alarm on Fluttershy’s phone went off.

“Time to feed the kittens,” she explained. “You girls wait here and I’ll bring them down.”

Soon the short, high cries of tiny cats were filling the space, each of the four furballs eager to be first. Having already shown them what to do earlier, Fluttershy handed each of the crusaders a baby and a bottle with warm milk. She took the last one in her lap and offered it the nipple of the bottle, to which he quickly latched onto.

“What are they saying?” Scootaloo thought to ask. She peered at her kitten as if trying to decipher it’s mewls.

Fluttershy giggled. “They don’t really say much yet. What you’re hearing is pretty much just ‘milk, milk, milk’ over and over again.”

Apple Bloom positioned her kitten onto her belly and held the bottle close to her face. She was a tiny calico, with dark little eyes that apparently had just opened two day ago. When the kitten found her bottle, she started to purr and knead Apple Bloom’s leg. She didn’t need Fluttershy to translate that.

Rainbow Dash leaned over Fluttershy’s shoulder to take a look. “Do their ears always do that?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Isn’t it the cutest? It’s because they pull on these mussels when sucking, making their little ears wiggle.”

Apple Bloom took a closer look at her own kitten and quickly noticed the aforementioned ear wiggle.

“Awe, can I keep one?” Sweetie Belle asked. She held her kitten up to her cheek for a hug.

“If you’re parents are okay with it, then sure,” Fluttershy said. “And do let me know if you meet anyone looking for a pet cat; they’ll need someone to take them home in about six weeks.”

“I could ask around the team,” Rainbow Dash offered, “see if anyone’s interested.”

“That’d be wonderful, Rainbow.” Fluttershy leaned into her affectionately.

Once the kittens were satisfied, Fluttershy gathered them all up in their basket and took them back upstairs.

Rainbow Dash pulled herself off the couch as well. “I’m gonna mill around and see if I can find anything fun to do. Be right back!” She was gone in a flash of rainbow color, and then she was bask two seconds later.

“I’ve always wanted to try messing around with this stuff, but I don’t have a brother, and I try to avoid my parents’ room.” She shook a black canister and sprayed some white foam onto her hand. As they watched, it expanded to twice its size, looking like a liquid marshmallow.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle both seemed enthralled by this, but Apple Bloom recognized what it was. “Is that shaving cream?”

“Yeah, and it feels weird,” she worked it in her hand. “I’ve used girls shaving for my legs and stuff, but this feels way different, like it’s lighter or something. Here,” she reached out and sprayed a generous amount on Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s hands. She offered it to Apple Bloom, but Apple Bloom hesitated.

“Should we really be using that? It’s not exactly ours.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and turned the can to display the one-dollar sticker on it. “I think I can pay them back if I need to. Actually, I think we’re doing Zephyr a favor, stuff this cheap is probably crap.”

Not wanting to put a damper on the fun, Apple Bloom accepted some of the cream. Whoa, that felt really satisfying. She played around with it in her hands for a bit, just enjoying the smoothness of it.

“Hey Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo said.

“Yeah, squirt?”

In response, Scootaloo flung a glob of the cream at her.

Rainbow reeled bask with surprise and brushed the cream out of her eyes. “Oh it’s on!”

She sprayed a very large handful into her palm, then darted forward after Scootaloo. Scootaloo tried to duck around the coffer table and out of reach, but even without using her superspeed Rainbow Dash was too quick for her. She hooked her free arm around Scootaloo’s stomach and pulled her over so she could plant her cream-filled hand right on top of her head. It splattered down over her face and eyes, and Rainbow rubbed it into her short hair for good measure before releasing her.

Rainbow Dash refilled on shaving cream, then gave Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom a sinister look. “You kids better run.”

With a squeal, Sweetie Belle made a break for it. Apple Bloom ran too, but only so that she could stay out of range. She still had her own fistful of creamy ammunition, and she intended to use it.

Scootaloo hand the same idea, improvising by pulling as much cream out of her hair as she could. It inadvertently gave her a foamy mohawk.

Distracted in her chase after Sweetie Belle, Dash didn’t notice until Scootaloo pounced and smeared her hands on her back. Rainbow whirled and caught Scootaloo before she could escape and returned the favor.

Seeing her opening, Apple Bloom aimed and catapulted her shaving cream, catching Rainbow Dash on the neck and shoulder.

“Hey!” Seeing her, Rainbow was quick to refill and abandon Scootaloo. Knowing she was the next target, Apple Bloom tried to find an escape but it was to no avail. Rainbow caught her and smeared shaving cream between her shoulder blades.

They continued the game, the three crusaders teaming up against Rainbow Dash while Rainbow had an infinite supply of cream. The CMC’s made do with pulling it out of the carpet and off of themselves.

In under five minutes, the stuff had gotten everywhere, clinging to whatever surface it touched.

“What are you girls- oh my.” Fluttershy put her hands to her mouth as she saw the mess.

“Um…” Rainbow indiscreetly tucked the canister behind her back.

“Is that my brother’s shaving cream?”

“… Maybe?”

Fluttershy descended the rest of the way down the stairs and carefully picked her way through the fluffy minefield. She held her hand out to Dash, who sheepishly handed the shaving cream over. She didn’t hesitate to fill her own hand and shove it in Rainbow Dash’s face.

While Rainbow spluttered and tried to plow cream out of her nose, Fluttershy addressed the girls. “While Rainbow Dash gets things tidied up in here, let’s get you girls cleaned up for the night. Grab your overnight things and I’ll show you to my parent’s bathroom. They’ve got a pretty big tub.”

“That’s fair,” Rainbow Dash agreed. She’d managed to wipe it out of her eyes and off her mouth, but her face was still very white. “If you don’t mind, I’m gonna run home and change out first.” She held up her cream-coated hands helplessly. “I might be working backwards otherwise.”

Fluttershy nodded her agreement. “I’m going to take a shower too, so just get started when you get back and I’ll help once I’m out. Come on girls,” she gestured.

They obediently did as they were asked, not wanting to cause any more fuss than they already had. As Fluttershy said, her parents’ tub was a big one, but it was still pretty crowded with the three of them. They made it work.

After about thirty minutes, they were all clean, brushed, and in their pajamas. As much as she hated to admit it, Apple Bloom was starting to feel the fatigue of the day.

They stepped out onto the loft and heard that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were already downstairs. Apple Bloom looked over the railing to see what was going on.

Rainbow was in shorts and a T-shirt now and was keeling on the floor trying to scrub the shaving cream out of the carpet. Piles of other waded up paper towels and spears of white across the floor told how well that was going for her.

Fluttershy was at the bottom of the stairs in her fluffy white robe, apparently having only come down recently. “You know we have a carpet shampooer, right Rainbow?” she said.

“A what?”

“It’s like a vacuum that uses soap and water. It’d make this way easier.”

“Oh,” Rainbow scratches at the back of her head. She shrugged, and did a quick zip around to dispose of all the paper towels she’d used. “So where is this thing?”

Fluttershy grabbed her hand and pulled her into the hall where the girls could no longer see them.

“Awe,” Sweetie Belle whisper wined, “I was hoping we’d see them do something romantic.”

“Say what now?” Scootaloo gave her a very confused look.

“I don’t know,” Apple Bloom said, “they might not be. I mean, they’ve been acting little funny, but not by all that much.”

“Wait, do you guys think that-“

“I know, but wouldn’t they be so cute together? I can’t believe we’ve never noticed it before.”

“Guys!” Scootaloo snapped, and they both hushed her. She rolled her eyes, then said, “Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are not together, okay? They’re just good friends, like they’ve always been. I’m pretty sure Rainbow would have told me if she’d started dating somebody.”

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom exchanged uncertain looks.

“What are you kids whispering about?”

They all yelped at the voice behind them, and turned to discover that Rainbow had snuck up behind them. If superspeed counted as sneaking.

“Nothing,” Scootaloo squeaked. She gave the other two a meaningful look.

“Yeah, was nothin’ important,” Apple Bloom agreed more smoothly, and Sweetie Belle settled for nodding.

“Alright, are you girls all ready for bed?” She asked, thankfully oblivious to the conversation they’d just had.

Fluttershy was climbing up the stairs to join them.

“We don’t have to go to bed yet do we?” Scootaloo pleaded.

“You don’t have to sleep just yet,” Fluttershy said, “but it is time for you to settle into bed. You’re welcome to talk and read for another hour, but then it’s lights off at nine thirty.”

She took them into her parents room, which had a queen sized bed. They all climbed into it and got comfortable. Fluttershy turned on a bedside lamp for them.

“Rainbow and I are going to be in my room just down the hall if you need anything,” Fluttershy said from the door.

Sweetie Belle perked up at this.

“Yeah, we still need to go over those songs,” Rainbow Dash said.

Sweetie belled looked mildly disappointed by this.

Fluttershy switched off the light and the older girls left.

“See?” Scootaloo said. “There isn’t anything weird going on with them.”

~*~

It was past nine thirty, and they’d just recently turned off the lamp. Apple Bloom, was nearing the edge of sleep when shuffling on the bed jogged her from it.

“What are you doing?” Scootaloo grumbled as Sweetie Belle climbed out of the middle of the bed.

“I’m getting some water,” she whispered. Sweetie Belle crept out of the room as quietly as she could.

Apple Bloom readjusted herself on her pillow and had just started to close her eyes when-

“Eeeeeeeeee!” Sweetie Belle squealed as quietly as she could on her way back into the room and pounced on the bed. She shook Scootaloo and Apple Bloom back to full wakefulness. “Come look, come look!”

She didn’t give them much time before darting back to the door. She gestured for them to hurry up.

Curiosity overriding the need for sleep, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo quickly joined her. Sweetie Belle put a finger to her lips with a big grin, then silently led the way. They crept along like ninjas to make sure their presence would remain unknown.

Sweetie Belle stopped at the one door that still had some light coming out of it. It was open, but just enough so that a small animal could get in and out without being obscured. Applejack often did that for Winona as well.

Holing a hand to her mouth as if to subdue her grin, Sweetie Belle pointed inside.

Apple Bloom peaked in first, seeing that it was Fluttershy’s room. The walls were green and there was animal stuff everywhere, neatly arranged and set up.

But what caught her attention and caused her to grin nearly as hard as Sweetie Belle was how Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were cuddled up on her bed.

Rainbow was reading one of her Daring Do books, with her upper back and head propped up by the pillows. Fluttershy was curled at her side with her head tucked beside Rainbow’s neck and her arm draped over her stomach. Rainbow held the book in her right hand for both of them to see while her left was wrapped around Fluttershy, keeping her close and occasionally tracing her spine. As she watched, Apple Bloom saw Fluttershy reach over and turn the page of the book.

They both seemed so content and happy.

Apple Bloom pulled away from the door with her hands covering her mouth. Her heart pounded with excitement over the discovery and the thrill of spying on something like this. She really hoped they wouldn’t get caught, if nothing else because she knew how much it’d embarrass the older teens.

She watched as Scootaloo looked next. Apple Bloom had to contain a giggle as she watched her expression contort from confused to surprised to disbelieving. She looked back at Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom with an open mouth, and they nodded. She looked back inside, clearly trying to mull over this new development with her sister.

Finally, Apple Bloom had to tug her away and back to their room, lest they get caught. Once their door was shut she said, “I knew it! They totally are together!”

“It was soooo cute!” Sweetie Belle squeed.

“Rainbow’s in a relationship?” Scootaloo was still trying to process this fact.

“Well, that’s certainly what it looked like,” Apple Bloom reasoned. “Unless that there is something ‘good friends’ do.”

“I mean, I guess-“ she scratched at her neck, “I’ve seen them act like that before but I always just assumed- How did I not know about this? I hang out with Rainbow Dash a lot, I should’ve realized something. Or she could have at least told me about it.” Scootaloo plopped down onto the bed.

“Hey, I’m sure she wasn’t meaning to leave you out or anythin’,” Apple Bloom reassured her. “We don’t know how long this has been going on, or even if they are for sure together.”

“Besides, look at the bright side,” Sweetie Belle jumped on the bed next to her. “Your sister’s got a girlfriend!”

“Probably,” Apple Bloom amended.

Scootaloo grinned at that. “Never thought I’d hear those words,” she laughed. “And I never would have guessed Fluttershy. I mean, Rainbow’s all into sports and cool stull and Fluttershy’s… not.”

“Mean’s the almighty Rainbow Dash has a soft spot,” Apple Bloom poked at Scootaloo’s side.

“We’ll have see about that one,” Scootaloo defended, “but let’s make sure that they’re actually a thing before we make anymore assumptions.”

“Yeah, alright,” Sweetie Belle sighed.

“We can ask ‘em about it in the morning,” Apple Bloom decided.

~*~

After breakfast, Fluttershy went and started her rounds around the house, filling water and food trays for all the animals who lived there. And the one ones who often visited from the woods. Plus some others who just hung out in the neighborhood. And a few of the neighbors’ pets liked to say good morning as well.

Rainbow Dash was busy fixing herself a glass of juice in the kitchen, giving the girls an optimal window of opportunity.

“Alright, y’all,” Apple Bloom whispered to the others, “I estimate we’ve got about ten minutes to be safe before Fluttershy might come back.”

“Let me go in first,” Scootaloo said. “I know Rainbow best, so it won’t be too intrusive if it’s coming from me.”

“Just remember to be tactful!” Sweetie Belle added.

Scootaloo entered the kitchen and walked up to were Rainbow Dash was looking out the window above the sink, idly swirling the juice in her cup. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom watched from around the corner.

“So have you two kissed yet?”

Rainbows eye’s shrank and she choked on her drink really badly, having to spit it out and take a minute to cough up the rest. By the end her of her wheezing her face had gotten pretty red.

What?”

“I asked if you and-“

“No, no, I heard what you said,” Rainbow Dash put a hand up to stop Scootaloo from saying anything else. “But where did that come from?”

“We, uh, kinda say you two cuddling last night,” Scootaloo offered her and apologetic smile.

Rainbow Dash seemed at a loss as to how to react, battling between embarrassment and playing it off.

“Soo?”

She took a deep breath. “No, we have not kissed,” Rainbow Dash said. “Shy and I aren’t even technically in a relationship.”

“What’s that supposed to mean? Sweetie Belle asked. She joined them in the kitchen, and Apple Bloom followed.

Rainbow Dash sighed, “It mean’s that we’ve been hanging out together a lot, more than usual, but we haven’t actually been on any dates.”

“But you do like her, right?” Scootaloo teased.

Rainbow clenched her jaw and wrestled with herself a moment before relenting with another sigh. “Yeah, squirt, I really do like her.”

“Ha! I knew it!” Apple Bloom proclaimed. “I had a hunch from the start.”

“Knew what?” Fluttershy had returned.

Apple Bloom covered her moth, unsure of what to say or reveal.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hand, just shrugged, “They know about us.”

Fluttershy visibly blushed. “O-oh… um… It’s really not all that big of a deal, we’ve just been… We’re still kind of figuring it out.” She tugged on her hair a bit.

“But why not just start dating?” Sweetie Belle asked. “I mean, it’s obvious you two like each other.”

“Uh…” Rainbow looked a little flustered by this.

“We’re just taking it slow,” Fluttershy said. “There’s no need to rush things. Besides, your sisters have gotten together only recently, we don’t need to throw in another romance at the group just yet.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash agreed. “I’ve enjoyed having this be something that’s just between us.” She gave Fluttershy a meaningful smile. “So if you guys don’t mind, please don’t tell anybody about us. We’ll let you know if and when we become official, but if word get’s out that’ll be the end of me.”

Fluttershy shuddered, “I don’t think I want that kind of attention. Everyone likes to gossip about the couples at school.”

“Not a word!”

“My lips are sealed!”

“We promise!”

“Great!” Rainbow Dash clasped her hands together. “Now lets pretend this conversation never happened.” She was still surprisingly red from her coughing fit earlier.

Author's Note:

This... is actually the first time I've written something in the romance genre. I've been writing for a lot of years, but generally it's just not my thing. Well, let me know if I did alright!

Comments ( 4 )

I loved getting to read this as you wrote it, and it's just as good the second time around. The use of Apple Bloom as the viewpoint character was quite the inspired one, letting us catch glimpses and bits of Rainbow and Fluttershy's growing relationship without burdening us with their every thought. Like Apple Bloom we end up as observers, eager to see what they get up to.

Plus I mean, who doesn't like making cookies and having shaving cream fights?

I absolutely adored reading this, haven’t read something so sweet that made me giddy reading it for a long while! Thank you for writing this it will forever be in my favourites❤️

I really enjoyed Scootaloo's tactful confrontation at the end. :rainbowlaugh:

Overall I think you could have done more to establish reasons for the CMC suspecting a relationship between Fluttershy and Rainbow, but I was entertained throughout nonetheless.

Hey, I think you forgot to mark this as 'complete'.

Login or register to comment