• Published 26th Mar 2021
  • 6,154 Views, 278 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - Six Friends One Heart - Babroniedad



There is hope, there is love, and there is a reason to live. You are NOT alone. And Friendship REALLY is Magic!

  • ...
21
 278
 6,154

PreviousChapters Next
53 - Beginning of the End - Sunset's Nightmares

Sunset’s Nightmares

That night, Sunset’s nightmares began.

She was trapped in the vision again. But this time, while she watched, she felt every terror, every blow, every break. She woke several times, crying and shaking, not calling out, but returning to sleep. And each time she slept, she returned to the nightmare, right back at where she left off.


That morning, she rolled into the kitchen, bags under her eyes, hair disheveled, looking weary and worn. She rolled up to the coffee maker, placed her mug in, and punched the Espresso button. Celestia looked up from her papers at the table. “Sunset, sweet harmony! Whatever happened to you?”

“Ugh… rough night,” groaned Sunset, pulling her coffee from the machine and taking a long draught. “I had nightmares all night about the attack. It was horrid. And every time I would wake up, I would fall right back asleep and right back into the nightmare. I don’t think I’ve had that wretched a night’s sleep since the fall formal.” She rolled over to the table, picking up a slice of tofu bacon to nibble.

“You don’t think you were having a reaction to the therapy do you?” asked Celestia.

“Maybe? No? I don’t think so. I don’t know,” groaned Sunset. Face in her hands, she rubbed her eyes, then looked over to Celestia. “I felt such peace after the session. I felt anything but peace last night. I can’t imagine the two were related. But maybe? I just don’t know.” She shook her head. Taking another sip of the expresso, she mused. “I do know that was tartarus! I never want to feel that again. That was pure tartarus.”

Celestia stood and wrapped Sunset in a tender hug. “Sunset, if that happens again, call out, please. I’ll come get you. You don’t need to suffer that alone.”

Sunset hugged Celestia tightly. “I will, I promise. Thank you!”


That night, the nightmares returned. This time, when she awoke shaking and crying, she remembered what Celestia had promised the day before and called out for her.

Celestia rushed into her room. “Sunset, is it the dreams again?” Sunset nodded, tears flowing. “Scoot over sweetie. I’m not leaving.” Celestia laid next to her, enfolding Sunset in her loving embrace. Sunset snuggled up against her and fell back asleep.

The next morning, they awoke, Sunset still snuggled tightly in Celetia’s arms. She was sleeping soundly, but still had the occasional shake or whimper. “Sunset,” called Celestia, caressing her head gently. “Sunset, it’s okay. I’m here.”

Sunset slowly opened her eyes, and seeing Celestia hugged her tightly. “More nightmares Sunset?” asked Celestia. Sunset nodded, face buried in her shoulder. Celestia gently turned her face to her, and kissed her forehead. “No more nightmares now, dear. Time to rise and greet the day. Come on, I’ll make us pancakes.” She kissed her forehead once more, then rose and went down the stairs to get started. Sunset stretched, prepared for the day, then followed.


That night, Luna declared she would stay with Sunset, rather than either of them waiting for her to call out. Holding her dear foster daughter close, the two fell to sleep quickly. Luna’s dreams were troubled, peppered with scenes of her sister under the car once again, blood everywhere. Sunset was once again forced to relive the horridly wicked attack, but this time with the added trauma of watching and reliving every wretched act she had performed against her fellow students and friends, reminding her of why she deserved nothing but their scorn and hate. She felt she deserved every wretched unkindness she had suffered. She never woke once during the night, convinced instead she ought to suffer each and every torment to atone for the evil she had caused.

That morning, both Sunset and Luna awoke completely drained from their night of ‘rest’.

“Sunset,” stated Luna, holding tightly to her tearful foster daughter, “Were I of the superstitious mindset, I would swear your room possessed by some foul evil.”

She helped Sunset get ready for the day. They ate breakfast together with several cups of the blackest coffee.

After breakfast, Luna received a call from Celestia. “Lulu, I need you to head to district administration offices. Director Neighsay has called an emergency meeting to review our funding. Apparently there are allegations we misappropriated funds while reconstructing the school after the fall formal. He claims to have some sort of proof that it wasn’t an explosion to the gas main. Can you please head over and try to head that off? For Sunset’s sake, that’s not a road we want anyone treading.”

Luna wholeheartedly agreed, and prepared to leave.

“Sunset, I have to attend an emergency meeting. I’ll be back as soon as it’s over. Celestia will be here right after school as well. Please stay safe.” She hugged Sunset, grabbed her purse and keys, and went out the door.

Sunset tried to distract herself, but refused to go back in her room, feeling almost haunted every time she went near it. Watching videos on her phone, there was a knock at the door.

Answering the door, she was surprised to find Lightning Dust standing at her doorstep.

“Hi Sunset! How’s it going? Sorry to stop by unannounced. I had the day off, and thought I’d stop over and say hi. How’re you doing?”

“Hi Dust, one sec.” Sunset answered. Rolling back, she replied. “Come on it. Can I get you anything?”

“Uh sure? Want to join me in a drink?” she replied stepping into the entryway.

“You’ve no idea... this way,” said Sunset, shutting the door behind her. Together they went into the kitchen and pulled out sodas, then sat at the dining room table.

“Sunset, sorry, I know it’s not my place to say but, you kind of look like crap. You okay?” asked Dust.

Opening her soda, she shook her head. “I started therapy. And I’ve been having wretched nightmares every night. I’m back in the gym each time, reliving the attack.”

“Oh Sweet Harmony! Sunset I’m so sorry! I shouldn’t have asked.” Dust reached out to give Sunset a hug and accidentally knocked her phone to the floor. “Oh shoot! Let me get that!” she said.

“No, I got this… I drop it all the time anyway, don’t worry about it.” As Sunset leaned over in her chair to pick it up, Dust leaned over across the table. When Sunset leaned back, phone retrieved, Dust was back in her seat.

“Sunset, I am so sorry. Look, maybe I came at a bad time. I just wanted to say hi and check in on you. But maybe it would be better if I left and let you get a little rest,” stated Dust.

“No! No thanks! No rest! Every time I rest, it’s back to that damnable nightmare. No rest.” Sunset shook her head.

“Okay. Well, if you want, we can just hang here and talk. I’m free the entire evening.”

“That works for me. Tell me, what have you been up to?” said Sunset, sipping her soda.

PreviousChapters Next