• Published 21st Dec 2011
  • 8,871 Views, 1,087 Comments

Filly Fantasy VI - The Return of Magic - The Wyld Stallynz

  • ...
26
 1,087
 8,871

PreviousChapters Next
Wherein The World Changes Part 3

“This is madness!” King Sombra yelled up at the summoned monstrosity towering over him. “Return from whence you came at once!”

The Ultima Weapon gave what could only be described as an amused look. You know that is not how it works, king of the espers, came its voice. Its mouth did not move as it spoke, instead projecting its thoughts with a force of will. I was created to perform a single function; to destroy. Stop me if you can. It roared and lunged for Sombra, reaching for the esper with one of its six claws.

A giant hand formed of rocks burst from the ground and caught the claw, keeping the Ultima Weapon at bay. “KING SOMBRA, WE WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS THING!” Golem shouted as he readied his magic once again. His stone hand crumbled against the formidable force of the Ultima Weapon, the beast quickly bearing down on the espers.

“Fool, you have no idea what we are up against,” King Sombra said. “Do not hold back. Hit it with everything you have!”

Next to him, Bahamut grinned and spread his wings. “With pleasure.” The dragon lord flew up into the air and began raining down blue fireballs as Golem created more stone hands to keep the Ultima Weapon busy. Blast after blast impacted against the monster’s muscled hide, leaving behind small burns.

The Ultima Weapon, displaying more speed than its size would indicate, spun around and lashed out with its long tail. The appendage crashed against Bahamut’s side, forcing the esper to break off his next attack. Far from out of the fight, Bahamut rose higher and prepared more spells to unleash.

Sombra was not idle. His horn lit up and soon a dark crystal rose from the ground. A quick application of magic transformed the crystal into a black scythe. Lifting his new weapon, Sombra charged in and began hacking away at the underside of the Ultima Weapon.

A fair distance away from the fight, Blueblood and Gilda watched as creatures of unspeakable power clashed. “The hell is that thing?” Gilda asked, the feathers on her back bristling.

“A being created during the War of the Magi,” Blueblood answered, his face beaming. “It’s unknown which side made it. Regardless, it will keep anyone from interfering while I work on these statues.” Giving one last smirk towards the battle, Blueblood returned his attention back to the three constructs of magic and concentrated.

.o.O.o.

With a primal roar, the Ultima Weapon slammed a glowing claw against the ground, creating a tremor that rocked outwards for several hoof lengths. The jarring impact of tremendous strength and magical output staggered Golem, forcing the earth esper to lose control of his multiple stone hands. The opening was all the Ultima Weapon needed. It ignored the ongoing attacks from Bahamut and Sombra and lunged, catching Golem with a swipe from a sharp claw. The single attack tore through the esper like he was a toy, crumbling to pieces on the ground. Moments later, the pieces flashed, leaving behind a shard of magicite.

Sombra and Bahamut didn’t have time to mourn as the Ultima Weapon immediately swerved and launched a massive amount of magic into the area. The air reacted, winds suddenly picking up and forming a tornado. All Sombra and Bahamut could do was take cover as the twister tore through the landscape.

“This is intolerable!” Sombra shouted over the raging winds. A boulder half his size nearly crashed into him, but a quick arc of his scythe knocked it away. “We’re not going to last long at this rate.”

As the battle raged, a group of ponies crested a hill and beheld the ongoing carnage.

“I am so not getting involved in that,” Trixie said.

“Hey, look!” Spotter pointed at a hill beyond the fight. “There’s a pony and griffon up there.”

Trixie followed Spotter’s hoof and quickly picked out Blueblood and Gilda next to a trio of glowing figures. “That’s them. Kid, can you find us a path to get there without that thing down there seeing us?”

“What are you talking about?” Applejack said, entering Trixie’s field of view. “Are you seriously going to let those guys take on that… thing all by themselves?”

Trixie eyed Applejack as though she’d grown a second head. “Are you seriously saying we help them? Look!” Trixie thrust a hoof towards where the Ultima Weapon tore through a series of fireballs from Bahamut with its bare claws as though they were tissue paper. “How do you expect to help against that? Stopping Blueblood is what matters.”

Applejack shook her head and turned towards the battle. “What matters is that we keep as many ponies and espers alive so that we can get this mixed up world back on track. I don’t expect a coward like you to understand. And that’s the honest truth.” Without a look back, Applejack charged down the slope and into the fray.

“You're insane!” Trixie called after her. Movement next to her caught her attention, but it was too late as she saw both Derpy and Scootaloo rush after the earth pony. “Have you all lost your minds?!”

A frightened whine next to her brought into focus the last pony to stay behind. Whipping her head between the battle and Spotter, Trixie let out a high pitched cry before picking the young colt up in her magic and shoving him into a veiny mess that may have once been bushes. “All right, bucco. I need you to be a big boy now and stay put. Don’t come out until one of us gets you, okay?”

“Y-you’re going to leave me h-here?” Spotter said, his whole body shaking.

“Kid, do you really think I wanna go and get myself killed? Now stay here before I come to my senses.” Quickly using her magic to pile the veins over Spotter, Trixie whirled around, drew Blizzard, and ran off.

She had only taken a few steps when a bright flash and the sensation of dense magic assaulted her senses. Acting on pure instinct, Trixie raised her sword and activated her runic magic. A surge of power washed into her, filling the unicorn with more magic than she could ever remember feeling. So much so, she feared exploding from the shear intensity. Screaming at the top of her lungs, Trixie pushed back against the power, ejecting it from her body with utmost haste. A pillar of super condensed ice erupted from her horn, plowing through anything in its way.

Whether it was fate or just dumb luck, the Ultima Weapon took the attack full on.

The beast roared as an unrelenting stream of bitter cold crashed into its side. The force of Trixie’s magic toppled it end over end until it impacted against a boulder, crushing it into powder. The ice flow lasted a few more seconds before finally petering out, leaving behind a blackened spot against the Ultima Weapon’s hide.

With the power gone, Trixie wobbled on her hooves. A pair of arms wrapped around her, keeping her from falling over. Trixie leaned into the support, uncaring if it looked undignified.

“Boy, howdy, I take back everything I just said!”

Trixie groaned. Of course it would be Applejack. “Wasn’t so tough…”

“Wow, you saved my feathers back there!” came Derpy’s voice. “That thing was about to blast me but you showed him who’s boss.”

Your celebrations are premature.

The ponies gaped as the Ultima Weapon picked itself up, flakes of ice and rock cascading off its body, and began advancing on them as though nothing had happened. I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form. Feeble creatures of flesh, your time is nigh!

“Horseapples,” Applejack muttered.

A battered but unbroken pair of espers stepped up next to them, flanking them on either side. “Ponies, we will join you,” Sombra said, raising his scythe. “Should our end be this day, it will a day worth dying.”

“And the day isn’t over yet!” Derpy chirped.

“Indeed.”

United, the group rushed the approaching beast of magic.

.o.O.o.

Spotter’s body trembled, shook, and winced with every crack, every shout, and every rumble that came from the battle happening only a few short hooves away. He kept his eyes firmly shut as the mere sight of the Ultima Weapon put all his senses on edge. No other monster had ever made him feel this way.

“Daddy…” he whimpered. “Make it go away.”

Above the sound of fighting, he heard rustling from some brush nearby. His eyes popped open and he squirmed himself further into his hiding place. Movement and a flash of white crossed his vision, causing him to yelp in fright. The figure that had moved past stopped and turned, facing his direction. Now in a full panic, Spotter covered his muzzle and cried.

He felt the sensation of being lifted up by magic then being pressed and held against something warm and fuzzy.

“Son!”

Spotter didn’t have to open his eyes to know he was in the safety of his father’s hooves. He simply buried his head in Shining Armor’s chest and continued to cry.

“I hate to break up the touching reunion, but there’s a big nasty that our friends need help with,” came Rarity’s voice.

“Wait!” Spotter pried himself out of Shining Armor’s grip enough to cry out and hold out a hoof. “That-that thing is too strong! I’ve never felt anything like it.”

A roar that shook the very island came from the Ultima Weapon, followed by an intense magical discharge. Seconds later, a large black shape fell from the sky and crashed heavily against the ground. A flash and the sound of a crystal hitting the ground marked the end of another esper.

“Blast it all,” Shining Armor said, levitating Spotter behind him. The young colt caught sight of Apple Bloom helping Big Macintosh put on some type of metal backpack and gas mask. Apple Bloom stood up on her hind legs and poured a green liquid into a tank built into the backpack. Giving a nod, the two siblings headed off towards the conflict.

Shining Armor grimaced. “Spotter, you’re going to have to stay—”

“No!” Spotter yelled, waving his arms. “I don’t want to be alone again!”

“I can’t protect you while I fight.”

“Yes you can! Put one of your shields over me. Please!”

Rarity walked over and placed a hoof over Shining Armor’s back. “It might be for the best, darling. There are a lot of ponies already down there. We can attack from further away.”

“But—”

“It’s either that or we leave him here all alone and scared, with plenty of other monsters prowling around.”

Shining Armor gave Rarity a vicious glare. However, the costumed pony did not back down. Giving one last grunt of disgust, Shining Armor pointed his horn at Spotter, magic coiling around the colt. Soon, a translucent pink shield surrounded him, its see-through surface glittering in the sun. “I’m keeping you right beside me, understand?”

Spotter nodded his head rapidly.

“Good, let’s go.” Taking the lead, Shining Armor unsheathed his sword and charged, Rarity right behind him. It didn’t take long to reach the battle. Ponies surrounded the Ultima Weapon, chucking magic and weapons at the beast whenever they had an opening. The Ultima Weapon itself did not sit idle, lashing and clawing at anypony in range, its long reach making it difficult for the combatants to stay at a distance.

Sombra kept close to the monster like a lamprey, slashing at the tough hide of the Ultima Weapon. Large gashes crisscrossed the underside of the beast’s body, but no blood poured forth. Seemingly having enough of the constant nuisance, the Ultima Weapon flopped down onto the ground. Sombra managed to roll away but the immense weight impacting the ground caused him to stumble. Taking advantage, the Ultima Weapon reached forward, claws extended to run the esper king through.

A pink shield materialized in front of Sombra, taking the hit.

The Ultima Weapon hesitated at this new development. It proved to be a costly act.

Running up to the distracted monster, Big Macintosh, decked out in his new gear, shoved a metal nozzle into the Ultima Weapon’s mouth. Before the beast could react, Big Macintosh bit down on pressure lever attached to his helmet, letting loose a noxious green gas. The Ultima Weapon let out a noise between a shriek and a gasp and stumbled back into a coughing fit.

“What witchcraft is this?” Sombra asked as he stood back up.

“Somethin’ my little sis cooked up,” Big Macintosh said. “I wouldn’t breathe it in if I were you.”

“Indeed, but we’re not making much progress. If a few of you could get to the statues while the rest hold this thing off, we could end this quickly.”

No sooner had the words left his mouth than the Ultima Weapon gave a guttural roar that expelled a cloud of green toxin. Quickly following up, its claws glowed with magic before discharging into the ground. Seconds later, the island shook from the force of a massive Quake spell. Anypony without wings toppled over and large fissures began to form all around them. Once it was over, the landscape had changed, including the collapse of the path leading up to where the statues lay.

Sombra sneered and once again regained his footing. “This is intolerable.”

The Ultima Weapon itself surveyed the carnage, snorting out a puff of green mist from its nostrils. The ponies around it were recovering, but slowly. Your pathetic attempts to stop me are worthless. Were I designed to feel emotions, I would be… amused.

“You stupid automaton!” Sombra shouted up at the creature. “Are you not aware that this very world is in danger and could end at any moment?”

If that is how fate decrees it, then it shall be so. Until that time, I have a role to fulfill. The horns on its head glowed, kicking up a wind that pulled in the poisonous vapor left over from Big Macintosh’s device. It swept its head, creating another wind that spread the noxious gas across the battlefield. Immediately, the Returners began to hack and cough, many falling to the ground entirely. Such fragile beings. Is this all that it takes to defeat you?

A wave of purple washed over the fallen ponies. Within seconds, the retching and sickly green faces cleared. Another ripple of magic passed through them, this time green, and the numerous wounds from the fight closed up. The Returners, given a second wind, regrouped and readied themselves for the next round.

A single pegasus descended from above, a scowl on her face. “That wasn’t very nice,” Fluttershy said.

The Ultima Weapon snorted, one of its claws idly crushing a rock into powder. You only delay the inevitable, my little pony. It raised its head and roared, following up by charging at the ponies.

.o.O.o.

“If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t believe it,” Doctor Whooves said, his vision tracking every movement of the massive beast the Returners fought against. “The Ultima Weapon. It actually exists. Incredible.” He inclined his head to glance sideways up at Ifrit. “You say I’m mad for my creations, but what do you have to say about… that.”

He trailed off as he discovered that his reluctant companion of the past hour was gone.

Movement from above caught his eye, pulling his attention away from the missing esper. A prismatic flash of color allowed him to quickly deduce who had entered the fight.

.o.O.o.

“You are one ugly motherbucker!” Rainbow Dash cried out as she flew past the Ultima Weapon, lashing with Thunder Blade as she went. The Ultima Weapon took a swipe at her, but she darted out of the way and landed next to Applejack. “What’s the plan?”

“I wish I knew, Dash,” Applejack said, keeping her eyes on the enemy the whole time. “No matter what we throw at it, this varmint just won’t go down. I’ve pummeled it enough times to level my whole orchard—”

Without warning, the Ultima Weapon twisted around, reared, and lunged for Sombra. Full Power! The full weight and power of the beast came down on the esper king before he could react. A pink shield from Shining Armor flashed into existence seconds before it connected.

The shield shattered like glass.

The island shook as the attack landed, the Ultima Weapon’s claw creating a deep crater from the impact. A burst of light flared from underneath its claw, then everything went silent. The Ultima Weapon stepped away, revealing a cracked magicite crystal.

The sight left the Returners staring in awe and horror. Nopony dared move even as the Ultima Weapon turned towards the latest arrivals, Twilight, Spike, and Zecora. It advanced, its form glowing in preparation for another attack.

“You… you monster!” Rarity shrieked. Casting all sense of decorum aside, she charged the beast, glowing needles at the ready. The act served to break the Returners out of their shocked state, galvanizing them to raise their weapons and fight as one. The Ultima Weapon met them head on and the battle resumed.

Zecora carefully placed Twilight down on the ground, drew her sword and joined the fray. Spike drew his spear and stood over Twilight protectively, ready to lash out at anything that came their way.

“Spike…” came Twilight’s soft voice. “Spike, help me get over there.”

Without taking his eyes off the action, he replied, “You’re not in any shape to be fighting that thing.”

“No, Spike. I mean over there.” Spike glanced back to see Twilight pointing a hoof towards the crater the Ultima Weapon left. “I… I need to get there. Please.”

Spike let out an exasperated sigh. “You’re the most difficult and frustrating student I’ve ever had.”

Twilight’s lips quirked into a smile. “I’m the only student you’ve ever had.”

“Exactly!” Giving another sigh, Spike blew out a gentle wind that surrounded Twilight’s body. Ever so carefully, the wind picked her up off the ground. Spike placed a claw against her side and gave a little push, Twilight drifting away like a balloon. The little dragon continued to guide her towards the impact crater, mindful of the fight close by. They reached the indent without incident and Spike led the two down the cragged slope. When they made it to the bottom, Spike slowly sucked in the wind holding up Twilight, allowing the unicorn to descend without hurting her further.

Gingerly, Twilight stretched out a hoof and touched the magicite that had once been the esper king. Red and green mist leaked out of the deep cracks covering the crystal, the steady stream getting lighter and lighter as the seconds passed. Twilight twitched as a small pulse of magic entered her hoof.

Twilight… Sparkle… the weak voice of Sombra said within her head. I… don’t have much time. We espers thought… if we hid ourselves… we could avoid another… War of the Magi. It’s not too late. You, who are… half pony, half… esper… can accomplish what I… could not. Please, make it so… that ponies and espers… can live together without fear… or envy. Please…

A final wisp of mist sputtered out of the magicite. The crystal quickly faded from a bright green rock with a red core into a dull grey stone.

Twilight sniffed and wiped at her damp eyes. Cradling the empty husk of magicite to her chest, she wept silent tears.

.o.O.o.

You insects do not know when to die, the Ultima Weapon projected.

Scootaloo buzzed her wings, sending a bolt of lightning into the creature’s side. “Same to you, creep!”

From somewhere on the Ultima Weapon’s body, a grinding sound, like gears turning, could be heard. This ends now. The grinding became faster and louder, transcending into a constant whirring. The Ultima Weapon remained still, the entire beast pulsing with a yellow glow.

Only a few hooves away, Spotter’s eyes nearly popped out of his sockets. He shut his eyes tight and grabbed his horn, moaning.

This did not go unnoticed by Shining Armor. “Buddy, what’s wrong? What’s happening?”

“It… it’s too powerful,” Spotter said through gritted teeth. “I can’t… stand it.” Without warning, Spotter’s eyelids flew open, revealing solid white eyes. “It’s coming! Flare Star! It’s going to destroy us all!”

Indeed, the Ultima Weapon said telepathically. The outcome was never in doubt. Die.

Nearby, Trixie stepped away, her ears folded back. “I… I can feel it too. I can’t runic something that big.”

“Hit it with everything you got!” Rainbow Dash called out, rushing in and putting action to words. Anypony still standing did the same, hacking away with their weapons.

Rarity summoned a trio of magic needles and charged with everypony else. She didn’t make it far before the large form of Big Macintosh blocked her way. “Miss Rarity, how good is your aim?”

“What?” Rarity shook her head and made to go around the stallion but Big Macintosh stepped in her path once again. “Move, you big oaf! We don’t have time to dawdle!”

“I know, that’s why I need your help to stop it.”

Behind Big Macintosh, the Ultima Weapon took on a constant glow that grew brighter by the second. The high pitch whine was only drowned out by the cacophony of machinery coming from somewhere on the beast. The Ultima Weapon ignored the Returners attacking it, remaining still as it continued to charge its attack.

“What do you have in mind?” Rarity said quickly, her eyes darting between Big Macintosh and the Ultima Weapon.

“You can hear it, can’t you? There’s something mechanical moving on that thing. I haven’t heard anything like it since we started fighting it. It may be the key to stopping it.”

“All right, but what do you want me to do? I know nothing about machines.”

In response, Big Macintosh put down a metal disk the width of a pony. “Step on this,” he said, pointing a hoof at the device. “It’ll launch you into the air. I think what we are looking for is in that armor on its back. Find an opening and use your magic to take it out.”

Rarity eyed the disk dubiously. “You think that will work?”

The mechanic shrugged. “Worth a shot.”

“Well, then I guess we better get to it.” Taking a breath, Rarity placed all four hooves onto the disk. “Um, didn’t you say this would lauuuuunnnnnch!”

Suddenly finding herself way up into the air thanks to the spring loaded platform, Rarity could see the entire battlefield laid out before her. The Returners piled on the attacks against a stoic, but steadily growing brighter, Ultima Weapon. With only moments to spare before she descended, the masked vigilante forced herself to calm and focus. Setting her sight squarely on the golden plating attached to the beast’s back, she could just make out a series of gears whirring together near the base of the Ultima Weapon’s tail. Ignoring the grotesque fusion of flesh and machine, Rarity summoned three blue needles next to her head. She reached the apex of her launch and began to fall back to earth.

She fired off one of the needles. It ricocheted off the golden armor, an inch away from her target.

Rarity waited for her fall to bring her closer. She let loose a second needle. It passed through the small opening and Rarity felt her heart soar.

Only to despair when the needle clipped against one of the gears and was sent flying away.

With one needle left and no time to magic up more, Rarity let out a breath. From the corner of her eye, she could just make out Sweetie Belle and her friends flinging magic with the rest in a desperate attempt to stop the Ultima Weapon from finishing its spell. The thought of missing, of failing with this final gambit, her sister and everypony else dying as a result, flashed through her mind.

She shot off the final needle.

Rarity couldn’t tell if she hit her mark or not. She passed by the Ultima Weapon, closed her eyes, and waited for the ground to claim her.

Several things happened at once. An explosion went off somewhere above her, the temperature spiking to unbearable degrees. She felt an impact and the sensation of fast movement, followed by the rush of air. Finally, a roar that could only be described as unearthly rocked her very core.

“Whoa, hang tight!” came a voice next to her ear.

Rarity popped her eyes open just in time to see a tangle of vines fill her vision seconds before she crashed into them.

Truthfully, it didn’t hurt as much as she feared.

Minutes passed as Rarity collected her bearings. She was still alive. Hopelessly tangled within veiny vines, but alive. Groaning, she fought to free herself but couldn’t get any leverage to move upright. Then, she heard annoyed mewling and stopped struggling. “Oh, Opal darling, could you be a dear and get me out?”

Opalescence crawled out of her space from behind Rarity’s cape and clambered up next to her owner’s head. The white cat sat on Rarity’s shoulder and licked her paw.

“I promise I’ll get you the finest tuna for dinner tonight.”

That seemed to be enough as Opalescence began clawing and gnawing her way through the vines.

Now that her means of escape was secured, Rarity glanced around and spotted a multicolored tail wiggling and whipping about as its owner tried to free herself from her own viney confines.

“Tuna for the rest of the week to help Rainbow Dash as well. She did save us, after all.”

.o.O.o.

Impossible!

That was all the Ultima Weapon managed to get out before its back exploded in a titanic blue fireball. Chunks of flesh and metal parts burst out of the gaping wound. Its tail severed completely off, flopping to the ground and twitching as though still connected to the rest of its body. Its balance now hopelessly off, the Ultima Weapon crashed against an outcropping of rocks and laid there as huge gouts of blue, magical flame erupted from its hindquarters.

The ponies, ragged and exhausted, watched in morbid fascination as the deadly creature bled its life force away.

The joy of a quick end to this nightmare ended as the Ultima Weapon propped itself up on its four front legs and glared with pure malice at the Returners. You think you have won. If I go down, I’m taking you with me. Calling up the last remaining dregs of magic within it, the Ultima Weapon cast its final spell.

A dark sphere surrounded by a red corona formed next to the Ultima Weapon. Lances of searing hot energy lashed out from it, striking the caster itself and heading straight for the ponies. Anypony able to bring up a shield frantically began casting, but the dark power of Flare Star reached them before they could finish.

Or it would have had a sword made of ice not been thrust up, redirecting all the terrible power to just one source. Trixie mouthed a curse as she took in all of the spell from her sword and into her horn, her body already feeling ready to burst. Her final thought was at least she would go out in a blaze of glory.

Too overwhelmed to even mutter a scream, Trixie’s form became obscured by a bright flash of white light.

.o.O.o.

“Ew, does everything on this island have to be so gross?” Rarity said, eyeing the numerous stains covering her Mare Do Well costume. Washing them out was going to be a nightmare. She idly wondered if Twilight or Trixie new a spell to get out stubborn dirt.

Rainbow Dash walked beside her, her own coat and bandanna smothered in the same dirt and grime. She hocked and spit out something she didn’t want to contemplate knowing what it was. “You know, I normally don’t mind getting messy. Comes with the job. But I’m with you on this one. I’m gonna dunk myself in the ocean if that’s what it takes to get cleaned off from this stuff.”

“Be sure to catch some tuna while you’re in there.”

“Har har.”

The two continued on for only a few more minutes until they came upon the battle site. They blinked as they found no sign of the Ultima Weapon, but did find all of their companions milling about and getting healed by magic. Rainbow Dash ran down towards Applejack, the farmer being attended to by Sweetie Belle, blurting out, “What happened?”

“Oh, good, you’re okay,” Applejack said, her shoulders slumping in relief. “When you tore off like that I wasn’t sure how the landing was going to be.”

“It was no biggie. So where’s that big monster?”

“Gone, as far as any of us can tell. Big Mac told us what him and Rarity did, and by golly it worked. Blew up half of it and then the other half got torn to shreds by its own attack.”

“Sweet!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, pumping a hoof into the air. “Too bad I didn’t get to see it. Anypony hurt?”

“Well…” Applejack trailed off, turning her head towards where Twilight was hovering over a pony on its side.

Rainbow Dash zipped over before Applejack could finish, nudging aside Twilight to get a better look. She swallowed, taking in the sight of Trixie laid out on a pile of gathered leaves. No sign of her signature white cape could be found, but bits and pieces of Blizzard could be seen scattered across the area. As for Trixie herself, no outward signs of injury were present, but she lay perfectly still.

“Is… is she…”

Twilight placed a hoof across Rainbow Dash’s back and pulled her in for a hug. “Dash, she’s fine.”

The pegasus blinked. “Huh?”

Her mouth quirking up into a smirk, Twilight said, “She’s just tired. I didn’t see it, but I know what happened. Call it a unicorn sense. That monster used up the last of its magic to throw one big spell at us but Trixie stopped it. It must have been only a fraction of the power it could have been thanks to Rarity, because when Trixie used her runic powers she didn’t explode. But, it was still a lot for her to take. Luckily, Shiva’s magicite activated and fully bonded with her. It must have done something to save Trixie because she’s still with us.”

Rainbow Dash heaved a sigh and sat down, noticing for the first time that Trixie wasn’t as perfectly still as she first thought. Her chest rose and fell from steady breathing and one of her ears twitched. Reaching forward, Rainbow Dash gently nudged Trixie, finding her body warm to the touch.

The nudge was enough to rouse the general from her slumber. Groaning and rubbing at her eyelids, Trixie peaked out from under her arm. Her pupil swiveled between the two ponies hovering over her, prompting her to scramble to her hooves. “Wha-what are you two doing standing over the Great and Powerful Trixie?!”

Rather than reply, Rainbow Dash lightly punched Trixie in the shoulder. “Nice going, buddy. Always knew you’d come through.”

“D-don’t be preposterous! Trixie was saving her all-important self. It was just a bonus that you were all saved at the same time.”

“Sure, sure,” Rainbow Dash said, waving her off. Cocking an eyebrow, she nodded towards Trixie’s flank. “Nice tush.”

Trixie reached for her non-existing cape, squawked upon realizing it wasn’t there, then sat facing them, hiding her flanks from sight. “Perv!”

“No, Trixie, look,” Twilight said, pointing at the other unicorn’s backside. “Your cutie mark.”

Narrowing her eyes, Trixie took a quick glance then twisted back to make sure the two ponies hadn’t moved. She blinked, then turned back at a much slower pace, staring at her cutie mark. Where before a wand superimposed over a stream of pixie dust had been on display, now there sported a wand with a large, white snowflake as the tip. A cloud of snow replaced the pixie dust. “How… but I…”

A pat on her back interrupted her musings. “Nice going, Trix!” Rainbow Dash said. “Looks like Shiva finally found you worthy.

“Too bad you lost your sword, though. Us three had a neat theme going on.”

Trixie peeled her gaze from her flank to the remains of Blizzard all around her. Closing her eyes tightly, she said, “It… was just a sword. I’ll get another.”

“Hey, it saved your life and everypony else’s. Can’t think of a more radical way for it to go than that!”

Heaving a sigh, Trixie nodded. “Sure. Let’s go with that.”

“Hey, guys!”

The trio of ponies looked up, seeing Spike coming their way. In his claws he held the most peculiar object. He stopped and held it up for all to see. “You won’t believe this! I found it where that monster died.”

What “it” was, was a sword. The blade was a deep blue that seemed to have no end to its depth. The handle was golden in color, with an intricately designed metal pommel. However, the most distinct feature was that the blade was extremely short, barely longer than the hilt.

“You think that monster left it?” Spike said.

“It… does feel similar to that thing,” Twilight replied. She reached out to it with her magic, but a different aura beat her to it. “Hey!”

Trixie blew a raspberry. “Dibs.” She held the sword in front of her, inspecting every angle, focusing on the blade end. The blade did not show her reflection. In fact, on closer inspection, it didn’t appear to be a blade at all but some type of energy beam. Raising it to the sky, Trixie channeled some magic through it, holding it there for several seconds. Finally, she brought it back down, scowled, and tossed it at Twilight. “On second thought, keep it.”

Twilight yelped and fumbled to catch the weapon before it pierced her. “Wait, what? But why? You need a sword.”

“Yes, but that one doesn’t react to my runic power. Like, at all. Whatever it is, it's worthless to me.”

“Oh.” Now it was Twilight’s turn to hold the sword aloft, twisting it in her magical grip. “Well, I already have the Flame Sabre dad gave me. I do feel power from this but it’s very weak. And short.”

“I’ll take it!” Before Twilight could react, Rainbow Dash snatched the sword out of the air.

“But you got one, too,” Twilight protested.

“So? This came from the remains of the most powerful monster we’ve ever fought. Think of the fortune I could make off of it!”

“Figures,” Twilight and Trixie said as one.

“Hey, you guys ready?” the group heard Applejack call from across the field.

The three ponies and one dragon turned to where Applejack and the rest of the Returners had gathered. The ragtag group of freedom fighters had seen better days, but the will to fight still remained strong. Applejack pointed up to the top of the hill where Blueblood and Gilda had been last seen. A low humming could be heard coming from that direction. “I think it’s time we ended this war, once and for all.”

PreviousChapters Next