• Published 22nd Mar 2021
  • 810 Views, 14 Comments

A Passing Through Kamen Rider II: Ride the Wind - thunderclap



A year has passed since Dai-Shocker's invasion. Now, the tables have turned. Wyatt and his friends are preparing to take the fight right to them.

  • ...
5
 14
 810

The Liberation of Griffonstone Pt. 1

Thunder rumbled in the distance, a darkening overcast hanging over the Falcon coast. If one strained their eyes, they might just make out the large silhouettes in the brewing storm. As luck would have it, the citizens of Griffonstone were too arrogant to do so.

Wyatt sat by a small fire, a pair of binoculars pressed to his eyes. With their help he saw the outskirts of Griffonstone. The reconstructed walls were heavily guarded by armored griffons. He'd found no signs of the scouts that had been sent out earlier in the day. If they didn't send a signal soon, he'd have to get word to Twilight and the strategy team.

Pulling the binoculars away, he shook his head. Perhaps he could do his own scouting? It wouldn’t take much to zoom in and check things out. Then again, the bigger problem would be if the previous scouts had been caught, it could give away their entire plan. Summoning his belt, he continued to debate his next move.

Kicking dirt onto his fire, he decided to stretch his legs and get a closer look at the city. With a quick use of a few cards, Wyatt was in his armor, on his way and unseen by the rest of the world.

The world around him slowed to a crawl, barely moving as he dashed over the city's wall. The streets at the outskirts were barren, no signs of life save for the guards patrolling the walls. That changed once he was closer to the central square. There were soldiers frozen in various states of faux combat. Wyatt took note of their armor as he passed. It was impressive, more than it had any right to be given how poor Griffonstone was supposed to be.

Griffonstone showed no signs of its trademark poverty. Buildings had been rebuilt, streets repaved, and the walls reinforced. All of this, under an insane doctor. It almost felt bad to be mounting an attack against the town. Almost being the key word. If Gilda was to be believed then this was all in the service of invading Equestria.

Wyatt didn’t have time to admire the architecture, there was still the matter of finding the scouting team and getting a gauge of the town’s fortifications. Slowing himself, he slipped into the closest alley. Pressing himself against the wall, he did his best to recall the city’s layout. He scanned his surroundings, finding landmarks he could use to better keep track of everything. Oddly enough, the information seemed to be sinking in, but he barely paid any mind to that as he kept at his task.

He came out of the alley to a row of houses, the street empty of people. Opening one of the doors, he examined the closest home for signs of life. With no one in sight, he relaxed just a little. Going inside, he closed the door behind him. Scanning the room, everything seemed normal. Going room by room, he confirmed that no one was in the house. Was everyone out and about? The only signs of life had been military related. That didn't bode well.

Checking his mental timer, Wyatt cancelled his transformation. Looking out the nearest window, he figured he could hide out in the home for a bit while he waited to use the Clock Up card again. He returned to the kitchen and pulled out a human friendly looking snack as he took a seat.

"No one around save for the military in the square, what do you make of things, Ninjor?" He inquired, putting his sword on the table. “Can’t be anything good. Not with a guy like Shadow running the place.”

The air wavered for a moment, Ninjor taking shape in the chair across from Wyatt. He crossed his arms over his chest, nodding in thought. “I’d say that every able-bodied griffon must be assisting with this war effort in some way. Can’t imagine what they’ve done with the sick if the other homes are like this one.”

“You don’t think...?” Wyatt let the thought linger, though it was clear on his face what he was considering.

“We can only hope,” Ninjor said, a somber tinge to his voice. “Was there anything else you learned from your trek? I still cannot see anything when you do that.”

Wyatt shook his head, glancing back towards the door. “Just that the guards were heavily armed. Doesn’t look all that dangerous, but who knows what they have up their sleeves.”

“Seems that Shadow has been busy this year as well,” Ninjor commented, nodding along. “And you said only the square had griffons there?”

Nodding his head, laying out a rather shoddy map. “Here’s hoping they didn’t rearrange the streets with the reconstruction.”

“Can you gauge where we might be?” Ninjor asked, leaning over the table to examine the map in full. “How far are we from the square?”

Recalling his journey, Wyatt traced his path on the map. “If everything’s the same, then we should be about here. I think,” he stated, tapping at a spot. “Where were the scouts supposed to be meeting?”

Thinking for a moment, Ninjor pointed at the southeastern corner of the city. “There, where Gilda had said the mountain pass forms a natural blindspot in the guard rotations and the updrafts make flying difficult.”

Wyatt traced the spot Ninjor indicated back to what he believed was their current position. “Ok, so basically the opposite end of the city. We’ll hole up here until their meet up time and then see if we can find them there.”

“I suggest you steel yourself then.” Ninjor motioned to the chair across from him. “Let us have a bit of meditation. A clear mind is key to winning an engagement.”

“Good thing my head's usually empty anyway,” Wyatt joked, steadying his breathing to begin his meditation. “Otherwise, I’d probably have gotten my ass kicked even more.”

Closing his eyes, Wyatt allowed himself to relax. Before his training with Ninjor, the closest thing to spiritual experiences he'd had was the rituals he was able to witness on the reservations. Now though, it had become as normal to him as everything else in the magical world he called home. The dim awareness of his surroundings grounded him as he turned inward.

Wyatt began his meditation by picturing the forms that Ninjor had taught him. If the ninja master was to be believed then the clearer the image one held, the easier it was to put into practice. He started with simple things like stances, trying to put as much detail as possible into his imaginings. Once he was satisfied with that, he moved onto the katas that Ninjor had taught him.

“So, as much as I love meditation,” Wyatt started, continuing his mental exercise. “When are we gonna try those ninpo you were talking about?”

“When you can complete your meditation without speaking, then I will consider it,” came Ninjor’s sharp reply.

“Taskmaster,” Wyatt muttered, continuing his task. He continued the session without another word.

His eyes shot open, a soft vibration emanating from his wrist. A brief look told him it was almost time to rendezvous. "Okay, looks like we've gotta move," he said, grabbing his sword off the table. Transforming again, he ran out the door while the world around him ground to a standstill.

Weaving through the rest of town, his boots transitioning from stone to dirt. The terrain meant nothing, unable to slow his stride. Ejecting the card, he crept his way up the rise to the meeting spot. When the last of his armor faded, he found a spot against a rock to take a seat. He examined his surroundings, making sure he was out of direct sight of the city.

A casual glance showed no signs of the scouts, nor any signs of a scuffle. Crouching down, Wyatt put himself on high alert and scanned his immediate surroundings. Sucking in a deep breath, he moved slowly and carefully. After a few minutes, he was able to spot a lone griffon patrolling the crags. The cat-bird was grumbling, obviously uncomfortable with the winds that buffeted the area.

Snatching up a rock, he bounced it off a boulder on a longer path. Reaching a hand back, he slipped one of his knives out of its holster. Tensing his legs, he urged the griffon towards the sound. The griffon took the bait, a spear at the ready as he inched toward the disturbance.

Wyatt grinned to himself, poising himself to strike. He’d only get one shot at taking the griffon by surprise and the last thing he needed was for an alarm to be raised. Springing out, Wyatt leapt upon his opponent. Bringing his weapon up, he jabbed it between the griffon’s wings. The griffon convulsed, an electric shock travelling along his spine. He made a weak attempt to throw Wyatt off, his limbs moving like he was made of lead.

“Yeah, not sorry about this,” Wyatt said, easing the griffon to the ground. He held the shock a few beats longer, ceasing it only when the body went limp. With a grunt of effort, he dragged the griffon behind some boulders. Securing the prisoner with some well placed zip ties, Wyatt stepped out into view.

“If you guys are around, I took care of the bird,” he called out into the crags. “I need a sitrep, asap.”

Responding to his call, a few of the rocks in the area revealed themselves to be changelings. They flittered over to him, grim looks on their faces. “I searched my area, no sign of Shadow.”

“I couldn’t find anything,” another spoke up, flittering their wings.

“I have locations of troops, but I have no idea where General Shadow might be,” a third added, crossing their arms over their chest. “Maybe Shadow isn’t on the surface?”

Of course the general wouldn’t be out in the open. No contact from Somber must have sent him scurrying into a hole like a mouse. “Any evidence of underground tunnels? Entrances we could storm, ventilation shafts?”

"Nothing concrete, but I managed to get into one of the military buildings," the third changeling admitted with a shoulder shrug. "A pair of guards were preventing entry into a random room. No signs of weapons or an officer's office so that caught my eye."

Certainly something to look into. “Do you remember which building it was?”

The changeling pulled out a map from his pocket, studying it for a moment. Looking up to Wyatt, he pointed at a building near the central square where the drills had taken place. “You should be able to get in through the roof entrance.”

The changelings exchanged a look. "I passed the intel to Pharynx; he wants you to return to the camp for now.” His blue exoskeleton deepened to a purple. “I’m Plex, by the way. These are my brothers, Carpol and Tend.”

"Nice to meet you guys," Wyatt said, giving the trio fist bumps. "I'd give you my name, but I'm guessing you know it already."

Tend, a bright yellow changeling possessing an uncommon amount of muscle, thumped a hand against his chest. “Of course we do! You helped Equestria accept us. Everyone knows who you are.”

Wyatt chuckled, almost blushing. "Come on, I didn't do all that much. Besides, I'm an outsider to Equestria too, it wouldn't be right not to put in a word for you."

Slapping Wyatt’s back, the scrawny dull grey changeling known as Carpol beamed ear to ear. “Oh come on, don’t be so bashful. You did us a bigger favor than we can ever return.”

Wyatt chuckled again, shaking his head. "You guys are doing more than enough. If you're doing the right thing, you never worry about repayment. Well, that's what my grandpa always said anyway."

Carpol let out a deep laugh, jostling Wyatt’s shoulder. “Yup, that’s a pony enough saying alright.”

Chittering in amusement, Plex inclined his head to the city. “Tend and I will head back into the city and continue our mission.” Shifting his head, he looked at Carpol. “You go with Wyatt back to his camp. We’ll update you on the hour.”

"Good luck you guys," Wyatt said, sheathing his stun knife. He'd have to let the Guardian techs know the thing worked like a dream. "Have fun in there." Turning towards his camp, Wyatt started to walk along the craggy path. Carpol was right behind him, the scout clearly in high spirits. “So, what’s the craziest form you’ve ever taken?” he asked, glancing over his shoulder.

Carpol sniffed, a bit of lightning reflecting off his eyes. “That really a question you wanna ask right now?”

Wyatt shrugged, hopping over a small gap. “I figured we’ve got some time to kill, why not strike up a conversation?”

Flying over the gap, Carpol found he couldn’t really argue. “Good enough reason for me. After the queen...” his words faltered for a moment, but he continued with new ones. Ones that didn’t hurt. “After Pharynx reorganized our forces, he had a few of us infiltrators help in testing the G-3 project. I had to turn into that hydra-cat thing.”

“Ugh, Mr. Meowgi,” Wyatt grumbled, phantom aches breaking out all over his body. “He hit me with a bank vault door you know. Dozens of times.”

That got a soft snicker out of Carpol. “Oh yeah, Spearhead told us all about it.” A flicker of flame washed over his throat. “Mrow! Remember me, Wyatt? When I hit with that vault, over and over again? I talked. Just. Like. This~”

A groan escaped Wyatt’s lips and he shook his head. “Okay, who showed you Roger Rabbit?”
“Can’t give away my sources,” Carpol responded, falling back to his natural voice. “So uh, was that cat thing really made out of magic clay?”

Wyatt nodded, keeping an eye on the city walls as their path led them closer to it. There was no guard patrolling that part for now, putting him at ease for the moment. “Yeah, and baked in a magic kiln.”

Pausing, Carpol swiveled his ears to the side, tracking some sound. Seconds dragged on, almost a full minute passing before he was satisfied it hadn’t been anything. “I heard some of the science people talking about it. Any luck making more?”

“I’m guessing not since Twi hasn’t excitedly told me about it. This is alternate reality witchcraft, so the principles are fundamentally different from the spell matrices of your typical unicorn,” Wyatt recited, having heard that from his girlfriend dozens of times. “Plus, we only have what we got from the cat.”

“Kinda figured,” Carpol relented, his wings buzzing for a moment. “Still, the lab guys are really impressive. You should see what they put into the prime G-3 suit. Said it was based on something called a cyber elf.”

Arriving at the campsite, Wyatt knelt by the firepit. “I should know, I live with that elf.” Tossing a few sticks in, he brought a small fire to life. “It shouldn’t surprise you that they’re already drafting up G-4.”

Carpol’s eyes glittered in the light of the fire, a grin on his face. “Oh really? I might have to put in an application. I’ve been eyeing those suits for a while.”

“That sort of thing includes being on the front lines,” Wyatt said, giving him an appraising look. “I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.”

“Many ‘lings have already sacrificed so much for this cause, Wyatt,” Carpol said, staring into the fire. “And even though the princesses have given us their seal of approval, there are plenty of ponies that don’t trust us. So maybe if a changeling could become a Rider, it could sway some hearts.”

Wyatt nodded, knowing the feeling all too well. While travelling for his job, he’d run into more than his fair share of prejudiced ponies. “Just as long as you know what you’re getting into.”

A howl grew on the winds, the darkening sky threatening rain. It was funny, Wyatt thought. So paranoid had the griffon’s become and yet they weren’t watching the sky. It was a flaw Equestria had latched onto like a tick.

The jovial atmosphere between them was quietly subsumed by a rising tension. Gazing at the sky, Wyatt imagined he could make out the silhouettes of the air fleet in the clouds. For the first time since its founding, Equestria was poised to strike at another nation, and he was at the forefront.

Summoning his Driver, Wyatt took a brief moment to collect himself and reflect. He couldn't say he ever expected to siege a city when he became a Rider. Putting the belt on, he waited for his signal.


The Invincible hovered over the center of Griffonstone, camouflaged by a sea of writhing clouds. Several other ships loitered over the city, ready to deploy their troops into the city. All waiting on the orders of one pony: the recently crowned Princess Twilight.

Admiral Celaeno stood at the helm, keeping her eye on the Invincible’s crew. In one talon was a message crystal with a direct line to the Princess. Twilight had just been given the word that the fleet was in position and standing by. The old bird wouldn’t admit it out loud, but she did have to wonder if the scholarly pony was up to the task of being a commander.

“We’re waiting on your orders, Princess,” Celaeno reminded, having decided she had given Twilight enough time to get her ducks in a row.

“Sorry Admiral,” Twilight replied, her voice distorted by the crystal. “Pharynx just gave me a last minute report from his scouts. Tell your ground troops to focus on the eastern bunkhouse; there’s an underground facility where Shadow is likely holed up. Give the order to proceed the moment I’m done speaking to the troops.”

The former pirate gave a quick affirmative, putting the crystal away. “Alright, relay to the drop jockeys where we’re focusing on. It’s time we earn our paychecks, ladies!”

On each vessel of the fleet, a changeling took Twilight’s form. Standing before the gathered troops, they spoke with her words. “There are no words to describe the pain I feel asking this of you. Equestria was not built on conquest but understanding. We stand here not as conquerors, but as liberators. Remember your training and do your best to keep yourself and your friends alive. Now, let’s cut out a bit of cancer from our world.”

A war chant broke out among the crew, followed by a rhythmic stomping of hooves. The fanfare slowly died out as the troops began their drop. Celeano took up the helm, directing the fleet to do their part.

Twilight revved the throttle of her motorcycle. Wyatt had been very specific with the lab techs about the design. A slim, silver bike with gold flourishes on the sides. The front of the bike was red and styled after her Flame Style helmet. With the screech of tires, she rode off The Invincible's bow and began a freefall into Griffonstone. A moment later and a platoon of G-3 Milds followed suit.

Allowing herself to plummet for a moment, she enjoyed the brief moment of weightlessness. "Dragorise! Please~" Her driver chirped, compelling a circle of magic into existence. With a mighty roar, a silver dragon emerged from the circle, its red eyes gleaming with pride. Flapping its mighty wings, the drake put itself beneath the falling alicorn. Pushing a button, Twilight's bike unfolded, becoming a saddle on the dragon that fanned out across its wings.

A proud grin split across Twilight's face, glad she could pull off the maneuver with minimal effort. Her fall now a dive, the alicorn aimed for the central square. The dragon spread its wings, buffeting the ground with a blast of air. Landing with as much grace as a several hundred pound dragon could, it came face to face with a regimen of griffons. Spinning around, the dragon's tail lashed into the lake of bodies.

Hear me, lost creatures! Lay down your arms, or have them wrenched from your talons!

"Lost creatures, really Bahamut?" Twilight whispered to her mount, drawing her gun from a portal. With a well aimed shot, the head of a spear belonging to a charging griffon shattered before they could reach the drake.

Perhaps I should have said wayward?” he questioned mockingly. Pushing himself into a run, he trampled through the griffon forces. “Speeches are for those whose actions can’t speak for them.

Rolling her eyes, Twilight opened fire on the griffons that Bahamut couldn't reach. "You do realize I just gave a speech before this battle, right?"

Bahamut snorted, batting a swooping griffon out of the sky. “You are young and irritatingly ponish. You will learn.

Sighing, Twilight continued to pick off griffons that charged at Bahamut's blindspots. Her draconic pride surged, almost making her believe that the G-3 platoon was unnecessary. That confidence came into question when enemy shots started ringing out.

Darting in and out of cover, griffon reinforcements encroached on the square. Wielding an odd gun, which resembled an insectoid stinger, the advancing soldiers laid down covering fire. Recovering their senses, the scattered griffons fell back to their new battleline.

Shields flickered to life across the Equestrian line, the less armored unicorns collecting along the back. With a signal from Twilight, another unit of unicorns cast a spell that enshrouded the battlefield in a dense fog. The idea was simple, eagles were sight oriented hunters, and griffons just happened to share that quality with their resembled top half. Equipped with thermal sensors, the fog had a negligible effect on the armored suits.

The sound of flapping wings signaled the Equestrian squads that the griffons were trying to get above the fog. Once the thermal sensors revealed that the griffons had left their cover, the G-3s opened fire. Pained shrieks filled the air, scores of griffons falling under the hail of bullets.

A cry rose up among the unicorns, barely audible over the shattering of shields. Air rushed at Twilight, her head rocking to the side. Her world throbbed, disoriented. With a quick flash of her horn, she cleared out the fog so she could get a look at what was going on. Once the last of the vapor cleared, she was greeted by a hulking behemoth of a griffon.

A minotaur bodybuilder would be quick to ask this being for tips on a pec workout. The griffon had no arms, clean stumps levelling out his chest. Spectral arms floated around him, many closed into fists. Spinning around, Twilight hopped off of Bahamut’s back.

“Bahamut, help the advance continue, I’ll take care of this guy,” she said, slipping her Copy ring onto her finger. With a quick flip of her belt, she suddenly had four of herself running to surround the bizarre griffon.

Meeting her with a hard gaze, the griffon flared his wings. “I would not be so hasty,” he said, interposing a clustering of hands between himself and the four Twilight’s. “You might just find you need the dragon’s strength.”

Two of the Twilights switched her swords to its gun form and hung in the back while the other two went in to charge the griffon from his left and right.

“I am Wulfgar, the Hecatoncheire.” Dozens of hands shimmered into existence, striking out at the pair. “Third of the Griffonstone Goreknights”

The left Twilight spun around the oncoming spectral hands while the right Twi blocked the attacks with her sword. Meanwhile, the remaining two Twilights strafed around Wulfgar and fired curving shots at the brute.

“Kamen Rider Wizard,” Twilight replied, the blocking clone sliding along the ground from the blows. “Guardian of Harmony.”

“I know who you are.” Several arms intercepted the projectiles. “And I look forward to displaying your corpse above my door.”

“Just because you’ve got a fancy little power, doesn’t mean you’re ready for a fight with me,” Twilight warned, her draconic pride bristling at the challenge.

Wulfgar smirked, one of his hands gut punching a Twilight clone. “I think you're counting your chickens before they hatch, pony.”

The punched Twilight reeled from the blow. Wulfgar hit with the force of a Rider, that was for sure. He might’ve been cocky, but it was clear there was some skill to back it up. The other three Twilights put on a new ring, flipping their belts once more.

Big! Please!” a chorus of Drivers called out, three large arms holding swords extending out of magic circles aiming to stab Wulfgar.

Merging his many hands together, Wulfgar bat away the outermost blades. Rushing forward, the original Twilight cancelled her spell and kicked Wulfgar in the beak while he was preoccupied.

Were Wulfgar’s abilities natural? Had he submitted himself to Shadow’s experiments to regain lost limbs? Given them up for power? Whatever happened, Wulfgar was in her way.

Spitting out a glob of blood, Wulfgar managed to stay on his feet. He managed a grim chuckle and shot a glare at Twilight. "Full of tricks, just like he said you'd be. But you're holding back." Striking out in a blind volley, Wulfgar stepped closer. “We won’t.”

Snorting, Twilight bobbed and weaved through the oncoming phantom arms. Pulling off her Flame Style ring, she replaced it with a yellow one. Flipping her belt, she tapped the new ring onto it.

"Land Dragon!" A magic circle appeared behind Twilight, a yellow dragon flying out of it to merge with the kirincorn. Her armor changed, resembling the Flame Dragon form save for its yellow coloration.

Cacophonous sound collided with Twilight’s back, blotting out the sense completely. Her armor faltered, flickering in and out of existence. Dropping her sword, Twilight pumped as much magic as she could into maintaining her suit. Another shriek of a guitar echoed out along the city, colliding with her side this time. Skidding along the ground, Twilight felt the bitter rain strike her fur as the last of her armor faded from existence.

Another form swooped down to join Wulfgar. A lanky griffon, sporting a poncho and bearing a guitar, hovered besides him. His head bore a crest one might find on a cockatiel. “What’s the matter, princess? Too loud for ya?”

Grimacing, Twilight forced herself into a defensive stance as she observed the newcomer. Using her horn was clearly out. If this newcomer’s technique could take out the concentrated magic of her armor, then letting spells fly would only end poorly.

The new griffon cackled, strumming his talons across his guitar. “Name’s Elminster, the Spelljammer. Heard you was a spellslinger, so I thought I’d make your day a bit more interestin’.”

“I’m part dragon and part alicorn, all my days are interesting,” Twilight countered, sucking in a deep breath through her nose. She may not be able to fight Elminster with magic, but she had other tools at her disposal.

Elminster’s talon began to move, opening another solo. An impact to her right showered Twilight in dirt and stone. Diving to the side, she lost only an inch of air as the next attack came. Her draconic pride surged, demanding she stand and fight. The rest of her had other plans. Glancing down, she launched a ball of fire at the ground and kicked up a burst of loam and dust to obstruct her enemies’ view.

“Bah! Wulfgar, get rid of this dust!” Elminster commanded, covering his eyes.

Wulfgar conjured a score of arms, waving them wildly to clear away the kicked up cloud. When the dust settled, Twilight was nowhere to be seen. “She scampered off. Take away a pony’s toys and they’re just scared chicks.”

“Heh, guess she knew I was the worst match up for her,” Elminster snickered, casually patting his guitar. “Come on, we can find our fun elsewhere.”

Wulfgar nodded, moving to where he’d last seen the Equestrian forces marching. Elminster hung back, keeping an eye on his fellow Goreknight in case the little princess had any funny ideas. He didn’t make it far as something small struck the back of his head. Whipping around, he found a griffon hen casually tossing up a handful of pebbles and smirking at the desperado.

“Elmer? Is that you?” The hen asked, dropping the pebbles and adjusting her jacket. “What’s with the getup? You lose a bet?”

Elminster squawked, crest standing on end. “You’re one to talk! What’s a matter, Gilda? Your precious ponies kick you out on your ass? Maybe if you kiss my paws I’ll put in the good word for you.”

“Au contraire, Elmer. They didn’t kick me out; they gave me something special.” Bringing up her wrist, she displayed a bracelet of some kind with an odd trinket, little wings pointing downwards on its side. Pulling off the trinket, Gilda did a quick flourish, raising the device above her head. “Sonic Speed, Green Ranger power!” Pressing a button on the side, the little wings flipped up to take the shape of a ‘V’. A green projection of a V flew out of the trinket colliding with Gilda and wrapping around her form.

Sound blasted from Elminster’s guitar, crashing into Gilda. “Where’s your pride, Gilda? They give you table scraps and you’re jumping to their beck and call.”

"Where's yours?" She replied, her suit solidifying. Green spandex-like material covered her. A white and gold V went down her chest with a silver triangle at her breasts. White boots and gloves cuffed with gold protected her talons and paws. Her green helmet's eye area was made up of a series of triangles at the center flanked by diamonds that came together to form a larger triangle. "You're being used as pawns by a madman."

I’m protecting my home from armed invaders,” Elminster retorted. His poncho fell away, talons picking up speed. Metal covered his body, highlighted by vacuum tubes and thick cabling. A hum built as the pace of his playing increased. The tubes lining his armor began to light up. “Let’s see if that fancy little toy can handle stratospheric decibels!”

Gilda recoiled, taking in the device her fellow griffon was wearing. Her self preservation kicked in at the raising whir and she took off to avoid whatever he was planning. "Goddess Elmer, what'd they do to you?"

“They gave me the means to protect what’s mine!” Strumming violently, magic lashed out from Elminster’s guitar. “Did those other traitors come back with you? Taking that runt with you really broke ol’ Gruff’s heart.”

"Gallus and Gabby are safe, not that you care," Gilda replied, pumping her wings to avoid the sonic blasts. "Shadow had you all banging the drums of invading Equestria. This was never about defense. If it was, why'd we get armed before being fed and rebuilt?"

Elminster’s armor crackled, sharing its power with his guitar. “A good offense is the best defense.”

"And what did he offer to prove Equestria was going to invade?" Gilda questioned, drawing a thin white and black blaster off her hip. Spinning in the air, she opened fire on the guitar. "Ponies are pansies unless you threaten them."

Picking at his strings, Elminster met Gilda’s attack with a wall of sound. “I’m not here to debate with you. Me and the rest of the Gorefeathers are going to rip those tin cans apart.”

Clicking her tongue, Gilda wracked her brain for an answer to his odd powers. Roaring in frustration, she summoned her weapon. It didn't look like much, a hammer that she was easily able to hold in one hand with an almost drum-like head to it. Running along either side of it were golden V's and triangles matching the lens of her helmet. Diving down, she swung at the guitar.

His playing began to intensify, his sonic assault blasting apart the weaker buildings. “I’ll liquify you, traitor.” The hum of his suit increased, pouring electricity into the sound. “Maybe I can sell what’s left to Greta. You were sweet with her, right?”

Gilda was blown back by the sound waves, crashing through a nearby wall. She idly noted that it was the old library if the restored statue of the king was in the same place. Coughing, she tried to get the ringing in her ears to stop. "I was sweet with your dad too," she croaked, trying to hide the pain in her voice.

“You think I care what that asshole does? If that was supposed to be an insult, you're the butt of the joke.”

Pushing herself to her feet, Gilda shook her head. "Yeesh, and I thought daddy issues was a hen thing." Gilda watched her opponent closer, looking for an opening. She knew she couldn’t hesitate, the longer she was out of close range the more at risk she was for another blast. A light bulb went off over her head and a wicked grin split her beak. Moving subtly, she put herself in front of a support beam.

“Come on, Elmer. You really think this is doing anyone any good?”

Strumming his guitar, Elminster sent out another sonic blast. "Do you ever shut up!?"

“Do you ever think?” Propelling herself to the left, Gilda allowed the blast to accelerate her. Careening out a window, she soared into the air. Behind her, the great library collapsed, burying Elminster under its weight.

The rubble settled, no movement to be seen while the dust cloud scattered on the storm winds. Just when Gilda thought the battle was won, several stones started to shudder. Elminster dragged himself against a bookshelf, a wing hanging limp.

“Y-you bitch...” he wheezed, grabbing at a piece of wood lodged in his chest plate.

Angling her wings, Gilda dove down at the dazed musician. Pulling up at the last moment, Gilda swung her hammer to have it collide with Elminster's face. Flapping once, she gracefully landed. "That's bad bitch, and don't you forget it."