• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 2,737 Views, 46 Comments

Flutterdash: Never Leave Me - Silver Moon



A Flutterdash story with a really sad ending. Enjoy!

  • ...
3
 46
 2,737

Chapter 1: A Moonlit Flight

It was a warm evening, a few weeks after Shining Armor and Princess Cadence’s wedding, and Fluttershy had just finished putting Angel to bed when she let out a startled squeak. “Who would be knocking on the door at this hour?!” She exclaimed quietly. “Who could that be?” Fluttershy started to trot down the stairs but was stopped short by a voice from outside.

“Fluttershy? Are you awake?”

Fluttershy let out a small whimper. She took a step back as memories flooded her mind…

A young Pegasus, crying alone on a cloud with her pink mane half-covering soft, yellow her face.

Another filly with a light cerulean pelt and multi-coloured mane joins her on the cloud. “Hey Fluttershy, don’t cry. Those ponies are just big meanies. Don’t listen to them.”

The same fillies, older now, at a race. Once more, the light blue pony was fighting for the yellow one.

The yellow filly, the same but for a trio of butterflies on her flank, surrounded by other fillies, all chanting the same cruel song; “Fluttershy, Fluttershy, Fluttershy can barely fly!”

The two ponies, older still, going on adventures with four other fillies. The two of them fighting and arguing, but always getting along in the end.

The two of them, singing a song together, just the two of them.

Training hard to lift water for rain, the yellow pony getting teased and running off. The rainbow-coloured mane of her friend rushing after her.

All these memories flashed by in a matter of seconds, but there was one more to go.

A few weeks ago. In the middle of a battle against the Changelings. Up against too many to fight, the pink mane of the shy Pegasus was all you could see of her face. But once more her colourful friend helped her out. Then they were leaning in close. Closer. Their lips brushed, ever so gently, for ever such a short moment. Then the moment was gone.
Another knock on the door brought Fluttershy back to reality with a jolt.

“Fluttershy? Are you in there?”

The shy Pegasus shook her head wildly, as if the pony knocking on the door could see her. Stumbling backwards, she knocked over a chair with a loud crash.

“Fluttershy! I can hear you! I know you’re in there, open up!!” The voice outside grew louder, the knocking more urgent.

With a sigh, Fluttershy walked over to the door and opened it. “Oh, hello,” She whispered. “Hi, Rainbow Dash.”

“Mind if I come in?” asked the colourful Pegasus. Fluttershy shook her head and backed up to allow her friend to come in.

Hovering a little bit above the ground, Rainbow Dash looked at her friend. “Fluttershy,” She began, ignoring the other Pegasus as she let out a small squeak. “Fluttershy, we need to talk. Why are you avoiding me?”

“I haven’t been…” Fluttershy trailed off. It was true; she had been avoiding Rainbow. Ever since they got back from Canterlot, Fluttershy had been doing everything she could to stay away from the other Pegasus.

“Yes, Fluttershy, you have. And I want to know why!” Rainbow looked right at Fluttershy, right into her eyes. Her beautiful, almost magical eyes. Rainbow Dash shook her head, trying to stay focused. “You’ve hardly spoken to me since the wedding. Come to think of it, we haven’t really talked since we kis… I mean kicked those Changeling’s behinds.” Rainbow laughed uneasily at her lame finish. “So, what’s up? Why won’t you talk to me?”

Fluttershy just shook her head sadly, unsure of what to say. Taking her silence as permission to keep talking, Rainbow Dash continued.

“I can’t stand it, Flutters! I miss talking to you, flying with you. I miss you, girl! Talk to me!”

Once more, all Fluttershy did was shake her head.

”Fine then!” Rainbow said. “If you won’t talk, at least come with me for a nighttime flight. Please?” she added, almost begged.

Fluttershy just turned her head away. Rainbow Dash, however, has never given up that easily. Settling down on the floor, she grabbed the yellow Pegasus by her hoof and pulled her out the door. Fluttershy allowed herself to be pulled out of her home and into the night.

“Now we fly.” Flapping her wings hard, Rainbow dash lifted herself into the air, still pulling Fluttershy along. Fluttershy flapped her wings weakly, using just enough force to keep herself in the air, but still allowing the other pony to lead.

The two of them flew in silence for a few minutes. Soon, however, Fluttershy noticed where Dash was leading her, and let out a gasp.

“But, Rainbow Dash!” she whispered, “We’re heading to the Everfree Forest!”

“I know,” Replied Rainbow Dash.

“But… But…”

“Fluttershy, do you trust me?”

“Well, yes, but…”

Rainbow Dash stopped flying. Spinning around to look straight into Fluttershy’s eyes, she spoke. “If you truly trusted me, there would be no ‘but,’” Her eyes were full of hurt as she asked the question again. “Do you trust me?”

“… Yes.” Fluttershy’s voice was almost swallowed by the evening breeze, so she repeated it, louder. “Yes. I do, Rainbow Dash. I trust you.”

With a smile and a nod, Dash gripped the other pony’s hoof once more, and started to lead her friend over the trees of the forest.

“Are we going to Zecora’s?” Fluttershy asked.

“No, she lives over there,” Rainbow Dash said, gesturing vaguely to the right. “We are going straight.”

The two Pegasus ponies flew along together. They were traveling slower than Rainbow normally flew, but for once she was OK with it. Anything to spend more time with Fluttershy. Every once in a while, Fluttershy would let out a small squeak as something moved or made a sudden sound beneath them. Dash always reassured her, telling the yellow pony that nothing could get them up in the sky. Regardless of the slow speed at which they were flying, is was not long before R.D. started to descend. Fluttershy whimpered uneasy at the sudden drop in altitude, but answered Rainbow’s unasked question with three words.

“I trust you.”

As the two grew lower to the ground, a clearing seemed to materialize. The two mares landed in the middle of the small clearing. Some unknown creature could be heard growling, and Fluttershy pushed herself against Rainbow Dash fearfully. Dash just smiled.

“No pony can get here,” she said calmly. “The only way to this clearing is to fly; I made sure of that myself when I first found this place. Don’t worry. I’ll never let anything hurt you.”

At the soothing words, Fluttershy straightened up a little. Looking around, she saw that this was deeper into the Forest than she had ever gone. The trees here grew thicker and closer together than at the edge near her home. However, as she looked around, Fluttershy noticed what looked like a path in the trees. It looked like a path to the clearing. But Dash had told her nothing could find them here, and Fluttershy trusted her friend. Pushing the clearing out of her mind, she sat down and looked at the night sky. Rainbow Dash lay down beside her and looked at the moon.

“Luna did an excellent job raising the moon tonight, don’t you think?” she asked conversationally, but Fluttershy felt the moon was the last thing on her friends mind. However, she decided to play along.

Lying down, she spoke softly. “Yes, she did. The stars look nice too.” She turned her head sideways, her heart skipping a beat as she realized Rainbow’s face was centimeters from her own. Hastily looking back up, she continued. “But I have a feeling you did not bring me here just for the nice view.”

“No. No, I did not.” Rainbow shifted slightly, seeming unsure of what to say. After a few moments of silence, she blurted out “I wanted to talk about the kiss. About what it meant. I wanted to talk about us, if there is an ‘us,’ if there could ever be an ‘us!’ I need to know if you feel the same way I do!” She stood up and turned away. “It’s OK if you don’t,” she said, although her voice was laced with pain. “I’d understand.” Silence fell between them as Rainbow Dash waited for a reply. Seconds turned to minutes as the silence stretched out. Still standing with her back to Fluttershy, the blue Pegasus started to flap her wings, getting ready to fly away. Just as she lifted off the ground, Fluttershy spoke.

“I do.”

Turning around, Dash saw the yellow pony’s face was wet with tears of joy.

“Yes. I do feel the same way,” Fluttershy’s voice had gotten even quieter, if that was possible. A soft thud echoed the clearing as Dash landed, drowning out Fluttershy’s next words.

“What did you say?” Dash asked, sitting down.

“I do. I really feel the same way. I have for a long time, but I was too afraid to tell you. Afraid you would laugh. Afraid you would not feel like I do. But then… then you kissed me. I was so confused! Was it just a friend kiss? Or did you really feel that way? I was so afraid, so uncertain, I thought it would be easier to just try and forget it. So I started to avoid you, but I could not forget it! I just couldn't!” At this point, the shy Pegasus burst into ever more tears. “I’m sorry!” she cried. “I was just so afraid!”

Rainbow moved forwards and held her friend. “It’s OK,” she murmured. “ I've got you. You never have to be afraid of anything, ever, as long as I’m here. You’re safe. I will always keep you safe. I promise.”

The two mares sat together for a while, until Fluttershy had cried herself out. Once she had calmed down, Dash lent towards her and kissed her. The kissed for a few moments, then Fluttershy broke off, looking afraid.

“What will we tell our friends?” she asked, sounding terrified.

“Whatever you want.”

“I don’t want to tell them yet. I’m afraid to tell them. I don’t know what they might say. I don’t want them to stop being my friends; they are the only friends I have ever really had, other than you.” She paused, looking at Rainbow Dash. “But whatever you want is fine,” Fluttershy finished sheepishly.

“What I want is to tell the world about us. I want the world to know how much I love you. I want every pony to know,” Rainbow paused, seeing Fluttershy’s eyes widen in fear. “But what I want more than anything ever, is to make you feel happy and safe. So if you want to wait to tell the others, then I can wait. I will wait.”

“Thank you.”

The two of them sat in silence for a little longer, but a comfortable silence this time. Then, by some unspoken agreement, the two of them lay back down and spent the rest of the night looking at the stars and talking. By the time Princess Celestia raised the sun the next morning, both mares had fallen asleep. Fluttershy woke first. She started to worry; it was far past time to feed all of her animals. She gently woke Rainbow Dash and the two of them flew back to Flutter’s cottage together. Just as Fluttershy was about to enter her home, Rainbow spoke.

“Fluttershy? Will you meet me there again, tomorrow? Please?”

Fluttershy nodded. “I promise,” she said, and disappeared into her house.