• Published 15th Mar 2021
  • 849 Views, 66 Comments

The Spy Who Hugged Me - GaPJaxie



A collection of short stories, based on ten prompts given to me by FiMFiction.

  • ...
6
 66
 849

Truth and Reconcilation

A request by Reese:

"Sunny Starscout and her friends have done it! In the years since they reunited the tribes and rekindled the light of Harmony, magic… Who's this "Star Power", and why does she look so much like Twilight Sparkle?

Or, in other words: the hypothesis that G4 is a TV show within G5's world is, for this world, true -- but they don't know that.

“You’re sure…” Sunny Starscout said, slowly, calmly, “that it was a TV show?”

“We’re sure,” said Whisk Brush, the reedy little pegasus archeologist standing before her, his tail and wings shaking alike. “We’ve found… artifacts. Collectable toys. Promotional material. Pieces of the sets.”

“Well,” Sunny said, after a pause. “That doesn’t prove anything. Maybe the ancient people’s made a television show about the historical life of the actual Twilight Sparkle. Just because the mare we revere as Twilight Sparkle was actually…” It hurt her to say the word. “Star Power, doesn’t mean there wasn’t a real Twilight Sparkle who did all those things.”

“I’m sorry, Ms. Starscout,” Whisk Brush said. “But we’ve also discovered… fanfiction.”

“Oh.”

“Shipping fiction.”

“Yes, I get it.”

“Lurid shipping-”

“Yes!” She raised her voice. “Yes, I get it. You’re saying that Harmony, the creed and the faith around which our new society is based, through which we reunited the tribes, is in fact based on… a children’s TV show, from some long-lost civilization.”

“I’m afraid so, ma’am,” Whisk said, holding his hoof to his chest. “I’m sorry.”

Sunny turned to look out the palace window, at the colorful banners hanging from every building. She could hear the music from Mandatory Singing Practice, as musical numbers were sacred, and smell the smoke from all the friendship letters ponies wrote and burned, as was described in the holiest of texts.

She could also hear the screaming from all the ponies she crucified, because they just insisted on being jerks for more than thirty minutes, and every pious pony knew that friendship problems got resolved within half an hour.

“You know,” she said, “that really puts the last two or three crusades in a different context. I’m not feeling as great about them as I was this morning.”

“Indeed,” Whisk agreed. “A real bummer.”

Then, Izzy Moonbow ran in. “Sunny! Sunny!” she shouted. “The tennis ball thing happened again. Look, it’s on my horn!”

“Izzy,” Sunny sighed, putting her face in her hooves. “Not now.”

Comments ( 12 )

She could also hear the screaming from all the ponies she crucified, because they just insisted on being jerks for more than thirty minutes, and every pious pony knew that friendship problems got resolved within half an hour.

:twilightoops:

10723691
One of my favorite Bond themes. That and For Your Eyes Only.

Well... I'm not sure how to feel about this.

So you did your Crusade and got back and things weren't that great. So what? Relax. Take a little trip with those travelling players in their caravan. Play some chess with that old guy dressed up like Palpatine. Pretty soon you'll be dancing across the hills!

Then, Izzy Moonbow ran in. “Sunny! Sunny!” she shouted. “The tennis ball thing happened again. Look, it’s on my horn!”

The true magic of G5 Equestria. Just look at her, she’s adorable.

derpicdn.net/img/2021/3/5/2565071/large.jpg

10723807

Friendship is a very important thing, and if you think that's a problem, Sunny has a quick solution.

This feels like the plot of a Star Trek episode. I'm pretty sure it is the plot of a Star Trek episode, minus the crucifixions.

Delightful stuff throughout the anthology. Thank you for it all. :twilightsmile:

Chapter 1:
"a moment she added. “No news"
"a moment she added, “No news"?

Chapter 2:
"The word remains bares emphasis"
"The word remains bears emphasis"?

"It’s making the cartoon character kiss"
"It’s making the cartoon characters kiss"?

Chapter 5:
"let me tell you: air tour’s are just"
"let me tell you: air tours are just"?

Chapter 7:
"a sort of small-town incestuiousness"
"a sort of small-town incestuousness"?

"so Rainbow Dash’s endeavor to be "
Missing word(s)? Rainbow Dash's what? Siblings, based on the prompt?

"some skelletal pegasai, some"
"some skeletal pegasai, some"?
(I'm assuming the variant plural was deliberate.)

"“Think about it,” Cloud Chaser pointed"
"“Think about it.” Cloud Chaser pointed"?
(Though I could see "pointed" being deliberately used as a speech verb in this context; I think it does or at least could work. I thought I'd point it out just in case, though.)

Chapter 8:
"cup with a simile face on"
"cup with a smily face on"?
...Though I kind of wonder what a simile face looks like. And how it differs from a metaphor face. :D

"smoothie she had drank in her"
"smoothie she had drunk in her"?

"and whose flavored intermingled so"
"and whose flavors intermingled so"?

"one of the human’s technological"
"one of the humans' technological"?

"pay multiple pony’s salaries"
"pay multiple ponies' salaries"?

Chapter 9:
"established to monitor SCP-4747 and appraise"
"established to monitor SCP-4757 and appraise"?

"intended transmit random characters"
"intended to transmit random characters"?

"to normal reality, it’s destruction falls"
"to normal reality, its destruction falls"?

Chapter 10:
...Yeah, my prompt was a bit, uh, long, wasn't it? :D
(Also, I think the italics tags failed to properly invert at the end of the prompt quote there.)

"Maybe the ancient people’s made a television"
"Maybe the ancient peoples made a television"?

"It hurt her to say the word."
"It hurt her to say the words."?
(Assuming that's referring to Star Power's name.)

re the anthology:
Well, that was all fun. :D
I mean, you know. Bit dark at times. But it is your work we're talking about, so. As expected. :D

(And I'm glad my prompt was able to give you some inspiration. :))

10 nicely contained stories, quirky, yet tinged with that ".. oh, what a minute, that's pretty dark" where the idea is followed to it's logical conclusion.

10724986
There's the Nazi planet (Federation member tries to uplift a race quickly, bizarrely thinks Nazi Germanys quick turn around from Weimar republic to Fascist state is a good model to emulate*) and the Mobster planet.


*I suspect this was based on the meme that Nazi Germany was quite well off, when infact it was economically on a knifes edge and REQUIRED a war of conquest and loot to survive financially.

This is a nice callback to the ActressVerse.

10724986
11368505

Well, all I know is that, again minus the crucifixions, crusades, etc..., it was the plot of one of the greatest Star Trek movies ever made... that, of course, being Galaxy Quest.

Login or register to comment