• Published 9th Mar 2021
  • 2,181 Views, 168 Comments

Optimal Game Master - Starscribe



Orson's tabletop group went their separate ways. But thanks to Equestria Online, their campaign lives on. But using CelestAI's tools is always fraught with danger, and Orson and his friends will soon discover that E.O. is far more than a diceroller.

  • ...
11
 168
 2,181

Chapter 6

Orson stopped beside the doorway, his hand hovering over the exit. He felt static against his skin—a subtle buzzing from the gloves. The effect was faint enough that he’d almost forgot it was just a hardware simulation.

“How exactly are you going to prove this? Not that… I’m not trying to be rude and call you a liar, honestly. It’s just that what you’re saying makes no sense. If you tell me beforehand, at least I know that the scope of the question hasn’t changed.”

Honeycomb nodded knowingly. At least she didn’t seem offended. More than he could manage if someone had expressed doubts that he was alive.

“Showing you pictures of computers wouldn’t work,” Honeycomb explained. “You aren’t an expert in that field. Even if you were, seeing Equestria’s infrastructure wouldn’t prove anything. It could be a convincing sci-fi set, how would you tell the difference?”

He nodded in agreement. Orson hadn’t considered any of those possibilities specifically, though now that she said them they made sense. She’s trying to be honest. She could’ve tricked me with all that, but she didn’t try.

“Proof needs to look like whatever the difference is between what a human in the Outer Realm could do with a keyboard, and what only a digital pony could do. There are a few examples, but here’s one that should work:

“Through that portal is the town I come from, Hoofhill.”

“Wait.” He held out a hand—or a hoof anyway, stopping her. “You mean the new name of Wolfhill? How can you be from somewhere in our game? We haven’t been to Wolfhill in our games in Equestria.”

Honeycomb shrugged. “I don’t know. I grew up in Hoofhill. Our version of Equestria should be familiar to you, since it’s the one you… We’re getting tied up in the details. Here’s the really important part. Time is different in Equestria than it is in the Outer Realm. If we needed to, we could spend days when you only feel minutes.

“So here’s the test. Invent a little… play. A minstrel show, a demonstration. You know what Hoofhill is like. I’m sure the theater would be happy to put on a performance for a visiting human from the Outer Realm. Besides, you’re… basically a professional storyteller already. Or if you prefer ‘Hero of the Realm’. Paladin of Spheres, Champion of Light… there’s probably some more, I’m sorry. I’m not very good at memorization.”

Orson’s mouth fell open. He would have to take longer to process the implications of what she was saying. Apparently she’d grown up inside the world for their campaign, which had only been ported to Equestria Online a few weeks ago. EO was younger than their campaign, but Honeycomb was clearly as old as he was.

But he could figure out all of that later, after he answered the more important question of whether or not a digital person could be alive. By… giving them a play to compose?

“That sounds like a lot of work just to answer one question,” he said. “If your claim is right, those are real people in there, working for… hours or days, just to prove that they exist. That feels unfair.”

She shrugged. “Not to try and make you feel bad about living in the Outer Realm. I know you didn’t have a choice… but ponies are immortal. Ponies will only feel more satisfaction by using some of their infinite time to help you.”

I’m not going to learn anything arguing in front of a door. “Okay, Honeycomb.” He needed something so absurd that no one else had tried it before. Something of his own spontaneous invention.

“Give me the story of the Recrence. The uh… In our last campaign, we found the hollowed-out corpse of a dead god and gathered the bones so we could reactivate the…” Even talking to a computer program the gaming story sounded silly now. “Do that. Do I need to go over how it happened with you? Do you… already know?”

She nodded. “It’s history, of course we know. Well, history in our version of Equestria. There are… an infinity of other Equestrias where it never happened. I think they must be much less interesting.”

Which means there might be plays already they can use for inspiration. “Okay, so the same basic idea. But I want the story to go differently. Make it a… moral cautionary tale. About what would’ve happened if we didn’t work together and we lost, and all the magic went out of the world. A tragedy, if you know what that is.”

“I…” Honeycomb seemed confused for a moment, before nodding abruptly. “That isn’t as fun as I thought you would ask for. You sure you don’t want more kittens?”

“You don’t have to do it at all,” he said hastily. “I told you this didn’t feel right. For your test to mean anything, I have to know for sure it’s something nobody would’ve tried before. Nobody wants to watch a downer play.”

He looked back at the almost-real recreation of his room, his frown deepening. “How exactly can I go see a play when I still live here in this space? There’s not lots of room to move around, my furniture hasn’t gone anywhere…”

“I’ll walk you through all that, if you’re sure about what you want. You’ll like Hoofhill either way, you’ll see. Telling stories about it is one thing, but try being there. They can’t even compare.”

“Then I’m sure.” He tried to fold his arms, but his avatar started freaking out, so he relaxed them into a normal standing position, before the virtual pony started to phase into the ground or something. “Seems like a lot of work to answer a question. Does it matter if I believe that ponies are real?”

“More than anything,” Honeycomb said. “If we’re real, then Equestria itself is real. That’s a big deal.”

She pointed towards the doorway with her wings. “We’re ready now. Just don’t be upset if it isn’t that fun to watch, it was your idea.”

He reached out, touching the fizzing boundary as he’d done several times before. The world faded to black, then reappeared around him. His hand was up against the side of an old-fashioned building, with whitewashed walls above stonework and thatch further up. He lowered the hoof, and found a similar story all around him. But it wasn’t just some stock vision of the middle ages—he knew this place. The stone cathedral was particularly massive, its ancient stone buttresses casting shadows over the town all around.

The rest of the agora spread out around them, with the castle bastion not far away. It was almost exactly as he’d imagined it, right down to the colored banners of the kingdom they had helped install waving from every tower.

Except for the people. Instead of the usual assortment of good and neutral aligned fantasy races, he saw ponies. They came in many varieties, some he hadn’t even seen too closely. The strange bat-ones like Murphy’s avatar, a few rocky looking ones, and some others that seemed like blue-magic hybrids with stranger creatures he hadn’t seen.

“Equestria has more than ponies in it?” he asked, turning to the side. Honeycomb was still there, standing in exactly the same position. “These aren’t all ponies.”


“There are other creatures, but they’re the exceptions. Griffons, dragons, changelings, hippogriffs… lots of different creatures. In our Equestria, they’re outside the Kingdom of Dawn. Where Princess Celestia’s rule doesn’t reach, the others live. This close to the capital it’s mostly just ponies, though there are the children of other creatures who have been living in Equestria for long enough.”

It was just like the occasional friendly orc or tiefling that found their way into good-aligned nations. Their game had never been much for moral gray, but over the years a few exceptions to the rules as printed in their old Pathfinder books had manifested.

“Time isn’t moving yet, because you need to learn to move. Celestia is developing more advanced hardware, but for now we have to make do with a few substitutes and simplifications. If you want to really experience all of this, you should visit an Experience Center.”

“I… think they were opening one up in Salt Lake?” He’d read something in his medical news subscription about that. Life extension from Japan, except that Celestia wanted to use it on young people… he’d have to dig up the details when he had the chance. “Just show me. I’ve got another hour. How does it work?”

More intuitive than he would’ve thought. He couldn’t leave the view of the camera module on his TV, which meant the area he could travel was fairly small. Maybe I could park on the curb and use the garage for this. It’s not like I need the TV. Something to think about for later.

Given the limited area, the game relied on fading to black whenever he needed to change direction, or approached the boundary of his play space. There was a virtual net to stop him from smacking into anything, and that worked as well in Equestria as it had in his recreated living room.

He could also make his character move forward without walking, or make little teleports that were actually his character walking the distance, so they would show a little symbol if he couldn’t make the move.

Once he’d mastered moving, time could start again. He was initially overwhelmed by it, as dozens of voices assailed him at once. Music from period appropriate dolstrum and lyre hummed in the background, along with the steady beating of the drum and a caller inviting them to see the night’s performance, “inspired by the horrors of the Outer Realm.”

At least a crowd of computer programs hadn’t thronged him for autographs and attention, blocking the road or something. No one gave him a second glance.

He raised his eyebrows, nodding towards the sign. “Don’t you think that’s a bit melodramatic?”

She shrugged. “I’m not a performer, so I told them to take your idea in whatever way inspired them. I guess they thought the evil gods eating all the magic in the world was something so dark it could only come from the Outer Realm.”

“How could you tell them anything? We didn’t even wait two minutes, and you never left. We were talking the whole time.”

She slipped past him, nodding towards the open-air theater. Ponies were already thronging in, paying with coins in the three standard metals of copper, silver, and gold. “One question at a time, Orson. It’s a multitasking thing. I have to be good at it to interface with creatures in the Outer Realm. But any pony could learn it if they wanted to.”

He didn’t argue with her—it was far more interesting to take in the details of a city he’d helped create in their games. Aside from all the horses, it matched his imagination perfectly. Their group hadn’t bothered to stop at the amphitheater, but he’d always seen it on the map printouts Murphy made. Did Celestia scan those somehow?

They found their seats near the front row, and he was back in his couch. This time at least his world had the advantage, with comfortable plush instead of flat wood benches. He sat back, and watched as the performance began.

Soon his mouth was hanging open. The ponies couldn’t warp him through time the way they could apparently move themselves, but it still felt like it. Almost two hours passed as he watched his own group—recreated by pony actors—navigate the sets of the dead god Alcliptolex, battling against the evil forces that sought the same goal they did, and losing strength with each confrontation.

They hadn’t recreated the dialogue of the session or anything, even better. Instead of the usual interruptions for pizza or shit-talk, these actors were invested. But it was also a stage-production, so they used a few basic practical effects—some smoke, different colored lights, and a few suits and puppets. Here in a simulated space where Celestia could probably pull from any virtual monster she wanted, that was more impressive.

Finally the curtains closed, to a thunder of sad applause.

Honeycomb turned towards him, grinning expectantly. “What do you think, Orson? Do you believe me now?”

He could only nod. How could he argue with a performance like that?