• Published 19th Apr 2021
  • 1,459 Views, 93 Comments

Dark Aura - NavelColt



Something has petrified the Everfree and all its creatures, giving an opportunistic centaur the means to reclaim his lost power. Faced with the extinction of life and magic, Equestria's heroes rally once again.

  • ...
8
 93
 1,459

2. The Things Impressions Tell Us

"Bon Bon?"

The pony in question nodded. She mouthed something but gave up halfway through.

"You're a part of Celestia's response team?"

"Yes," muttered Bon Bon. "It's nice to see you again, too, Princess Twilight."

Twilight grimaced. "I'm sorry, that was rude of me. It's good to see you again, too! I'm just surprised to see you here. I always thought you were a—"

She paused, and that mistake derailed her train of thought entirely. Come to think of it, what did she always assume Bon Bon did for a living? Was she a gardener? She was always buying vegetables. No, a decorations expert, like at Cranky's wedding? A relationship counselor? A bench tester? A pie-eating competition champion?

Twilight bit her lip. Her pupils shrank. Oh, Celestia, did she know anything about Bon Bon at all? Were they even friends?

"Anyway," interrupted Starlight, resetting her mentor with a light jab to the flank. "What was it you were saying, Bon Bon?"

Bon Bon cleared her throat. Her vacant look snapped back to something more serious. "Right. I've been conducting interviews with Ponyville residents who saw the creature, first-hoof. Usually, public testimony can vary wildly, but this has been pretty consistent. I think I can give you a loose-fitting description."

"That's fantastic news," Starlight said with a chuckle. She garnished nods from her company. "I was afraid we'd be looking for a needle in the haystack with this one."

"What did your testimonials sound like?" Twilight followed up. Her existential friendship crisis would need rescheduling. There was science to be conducted here.

"From what I gathered, we're dealing with something large and avian," Bon Bon explained, looking towards the Everfree. Gone was the portal sparking and hissing far overhead, thanks to Discord's magic, but the sporadic creaks and cracks of petrified wood still had her on edge. "All eye-witness accounts thus far have described a large flying creature with rake-like wings, piercing blue eyes, and coloring that is entirely black and red."

"Rake-like wings," Starswirl mumbled. His hoof methodically ran through his beard.

"That sounds utterly terrifying," Starlight said flatly. She offered a brow to Twilight. "Are we certain the dimension that Discord visited for Fluttershy is the same one this portal linked to?"

"Discord said the energy signatures were identical," Twilight replied. Her horn blinked with magenta magic. A scroll and quill attended to her. "As Princess Celestia mentioned, he can detect changes in power. If he felt no difference, they must be the same."

Starlight surveyed the forest. It was her turn to grimace. "It's hard to believe something this nightmarish could come from the same place as Fluttershy's friends. I guess I can't pretend to know what other dimensions are like, though, seeing as I've only traveled through time."

Twilight snorted.

"My last eye-witness reported feeling a sense of dread when she looked at its eyes," Bon Bon went on. "She said it was as if its eyes were all she could see."

Starswirl glanced up from his pondering. "A magical display of intimidation, perhaps." He took a few steps closer to the forest, just close enough to examine the streaks of ashen grass fleeing from it. "If we are to assume it is a creature born of nature, then it must have some sense of self-preservation. Even in a hypothetical dimension far detached from the laws of our own, survival is a reality for all life that would one day perish."

"Do you think it could be sentient?"

Starswirl acknowledged Twilight with a nod as she knelt to his side.

"I do not know yet, but my instincts tell me no. If none have seen the creature since its appearance, and the forest remains the only area affected by its powers, then within the forest is likely where it resides. Perhaps it lashed out in this strange, new environment before retreating somewhere safe and unseen."

"A distressed animal sounds a lot less frightening than evil incarnate," Starlight said. "But then again, a frightened animal that can petrify living things and break down plant life to a molecular level sounds bad regardless."

"All too right you are, Starlight," Starswirl sighed, getting to his hooves. "A cornered beast is at its most dangerous because it has nothing to lose. Regardless our strategy, we would be fools to enter that forest without extreme caution."

"Starswirl, I'm impressed," Twilight praised. The alicorn sought his gaze. "And trust me, for somepony who has researched all of your accomplishments, studies, and publishings in chronological order numerous times, that's saying something. I had no idea you were so knowledgeable about fauna."

Starswirl dismissively huffed in reply but shadowed a smile all the same.

"Thank you, Twilight, but in my day, not knowing how to read the beasts of the land was to forfeit one's life preemptively. In times that saw brittle, scattered villages and a minimal understanding of the greater world, survival instincts were a pony's greatest asset. Even greater than magic."

Without another word, Starswirl advanced further towards the forest. Twilight ogled after him, little more than a filly biting her lip in adoration of her favorite teacher.

"Miss Bon Bon," the sorcerer spoke again, sweeping a display of light along the dead grass. "How quickly did this decay fester after eye-witness reports? Was that witnessed, as well?"

"No," the beige mare admitted. "If it was, I couldn't find anypony who could give me a clear answer. But it must have been quick. Half the ponies in town heard the thing screech, even if they didn't see it. When I heard it, I was over here within minutes, and by then, the forest already looked like this."

Starswirl stood tall in the afternoon sun. His white magic dissipated.

"Twilight, Starlight, I have a hypothesis. But it must first be tested. We must find out more, and for that, we must brave the forest."

"Are we ready for this?" Starlight put out, trotting to his side. "You don't think we should check the forest's perimeter, first? What if somepony else outside Ponyville saw something?"

"What I must learn now cannot be gleaned from investigations outside the forest," Starswirl replied. His hooves began to move, but to his companion's surprise, not in the direction of the forest. "That said, we currently face the Everfree Forest from the north. The creature has seen the inhabitants here and thus may be expecting entry from this side. I believe it may be safer to begin our exploration from another angle."

"Fair enough," Starlight said uncertainly. She noted Twilight's fangirlish grin from her peripheral. "Shouldn't we save time and teleport, then?"

Joined by the mares in stride once more, Starswirl loosed his first smile since arriving.

"And rob you of your thoughtful suggestion? I'd never dream of it."

"But, you said—"

"That what I must learn cannot be gleaned from outside the forest," Starswirl finished. "But seeing as we must enter from elsewhere anyway, I see no reason why we cannot exercise your suggestion. You are, after all, correct, Starlight. We just may learn something on the way. I've long since learned my lesson on not heeding your advice."

Starlight beamed, and for once, outdid even Twilight in doing so.

"Thank you for your help, Bon Bon!" Twilight called, waving to the beige mare now shrinking into the distance.

"Of course. Stay safe in there, please!" Bon Bon called back. "We just finished evacuation procedures, so don't worry about collateral if it gets to that."

"What?"

"Nothing!" she called louder. She wore her smile until the trio fell out of sight. Only then did Agent Sweetie Drops sigh and plant a hoof over her eyes. The sound of fluttering pegasus wings swiftly joined her from all sides.

"Agent, we've finished assuring the safe relocation of Ponyville's civilians."

Bon Bon's stone face rose over the curve of her hoof.

"Good," she said. She eyed her troops with apparent exhaustion. "Let's do one more sweep to ensure we didn’t miss anypony, then report to the princess in Canterlot. I've had about all I can take of this today, and I haven't even seen this thing. Almost starting to feel sorry for it now, though."

"Why is that?"

Together the group departed down a winding dirt path that framed the outermost crop of townhouses and gardens. Bon Bon chuckled.

"Because they didn't just send a princess to deal with it, they sent the entire armada. This thing has Equestria's most powerful magic users—save the draconequus—coming for its otherworldly hide. We better get out of here before the fireworks start."


"Aha, the noble Valkyries themselves have arrived to aid us! How are you lasses doin'?"

Rockhoof's voice, as strong as his muscles, echoed even where there were no walls. He was the first to break rank from his companions, greeting five colorful mares as they peaked the hilltop’s crown.

"Doin' just fine there, Rockhoof," Applejack replied, kindly bowing her hat. "We caught up with y'all sooner than I expected we would. We haven't even reached the Hayseed Swamps yet."

"Pardon our intrusion," came Rarity, placing a hoof to her chest. "Princess Celestia has tasked us with helping you all track down our villain of the day, as it were."

Again Rockhoof's voice thundered through the clearing, this time as an overly-exuberant "I knew it!" Meadowbrook was the second to break rank, meeting her tall compatriot and tapping a hoof to his side, as if signaling him to take a deep breath.

"It's wonderful to see all of you again so soon," Meadowbrook expressed. Her smile was solemn. "Though I hate to admit it, we sure could use the assistance right about now."

"What's wrong?" asked Fluttershy, joining her counterpart in a few short steps. There, she held the mage's other hoof. "Have you not found Tirek yet?"

"Aye, the villain escaped us from right under our noses," Rockhoof snorted.

"We came to these swamps early this morning, hoping to catch the enemy off-guard," Somnambula explained, effortlessly garnishing ten pairs of eyes. "We planned to ambush him before he awoke and left the area, but it seems he was one step ahead of us and traveled during the night."

"Does this guy not sleep?" Dash retorted with rhetoric.

"If he doesn't, it just means we must be that much more vigilant." Flash Magnus winked, and Dash nodded at once, her complaining abandoned. "With all of us working together, I dare any creature to try and evade capture."

"I expected to find Princess Twilight among you," said Mistmane, curiously beseeching Rarity. "The dear hasn't been held up by something, has she?"

"In a way," Rarity replied, rocking her head. "Princess Celestia has sent Twilight, Starlight, and Starswirl on a mission of their own."

"Something awful has happened to the Everfree Forest," Fluttershy continued, adopting her counterpart's earlier gloom. "Discord found these adorable little creatures for my birthday, but he opened a portal to another world to find them. More portals are popping up because of that, and now somecreature has come through and petrified the entire forest."

A collective gasp came as expected.

"So that's why Starswirl was summoned away," Rockhoof pondered. "Has he had any luck yet? Do they need our assistance as well?"

"Afraid we've been operatin' on faith so far," Applejack replied. "Not to say we don't have barrels of it already, though. If those three aren't up for a magical challenge, nopony is."

"For the time being, I agree with the princess. We can offer the most help here, helping you all track down this villain." Rarity closed the gap to her counterpart, offering Mistmane a light cross of her horn. "Let us deal with him, and let Twilight and the others handle the Everfree Forest. We're no strangers to the concept of divide and conquer."

"Excellently put," Flash Magnus lauded, pounding his front hooves together. "Then it is our turn to fill you all in. Did Princess Celestia or Starswirl relay any information to you about our foe?"

"Starswirl filled us in the best he could, but we had to split off pretty quickly. He told us that Tirek is a centaur and that a long time ago he came to Equestria with his brother to try and steal magic," Fluttershy recited. "He was put in Tartarus for his crimes but somehow escaped when Cerberus left his post."

Flash nodded. "That's right. There is something else to mention when discussing Tirek's ability to steal magic, though. He's—"

"Hey, you guys, I found some holes in the wet grass over here! They're perfectly cupcake-sized—what's up with that? I sure hope nopony lost their cupcakes. Confectionery treats could get lost out here all by themselves!"

The group exchanged blinks as they tuned in to the nonsensical outburst some few dozen yards to their left. It was only then that Applejack smacked a hoof to her face and suffered a sudden realization.

Pinkie hadn't been with them this entire time.

The groups converged and followed the sound of babbling and bouncing. Upon spotting Pinkie, they found the stars of her outlandish tale—perfectly circular imprints in the grass, bordered with mud. They trailed off into the tall grass of the surrounding forest.

"Hoofprints," whispered Meadowbrook.

"And only one suspect who could have left them," Flash added. “Far too large for a typical pony.”

"Looks like y'all weren't quite so far behind Tirek, after all," Applejack offered. "At this rate, you'd have found those hoofprints in no time if we hadn't come along and distracted ya'."

"You jest, lass, but I say you're good luck," Rockhoof deflected. He turned to Pinkie. Somehow, she'd produced a dozen cupcakes from the depths of her mane and now gleefully offered them among the group. Rockhoof accepted one and bit into it as he pointed towards the horizon with his shovel’s tip.

"Lesh mack hashte, ladsh and laddish!" he exclaimed, crumbs soaring with conviction from his beard. "The beast heads northwest. We'll cut him off before he reaches Rambling Rock Ridge!"

Off like a shot did the group take off, piercing the forest's edge and continuing their pursuit through a maze of checkered light and brush. Leading the pack, Flash and Dash were signaled by their charge down below.

"Flash, you were about to say something about Tirek's magic, weren't you?"

Flash nodded. He spun about midair and flew along backwards, dodging tree branches with mindful glances.

"Right you are, Fluttershy. Before we catch up with our foe, you must be made aware of the extent of his powers. Although Starswirl and the royal sisters are the only ones to have met him face to face, we've all done our fair share of research. We did so in case he should ever escape and again become a threat. It looks like we were right to do so."

The shady canopies gave way to a babbling brook, bisecting two sprawling valleys. Just northwest were the rocky faces of Rambling Rock Ridge, along with the southernmost expanse of its infamous neighbor, the Everfree Forest.

"Tirek has the uncanny ability to steal magic from all living things," Flash went on. "Each time he absorbs magic, he grows stronger, both physically and magically. He can steal magical abilities from unicorns or the passive magic of pegasi or earth ponies. But his skill extends even beyond that."

"Beyond that?" Fluttershy repeated. Flash turned to her, and his stare was cold.


Tirek can even steal the very magic that makes magical creatures what they are.

A hushed, hellish sound echoed through the forest. A single stream of teal magic freely leaped from the stone bodies of a chicken and snake, adorned on the forest floor as macabre ornaments. As it soared, the magic grew pale and dark, shading to orange before descending into an awaiting, elongated jaw.

Tirek chortled to himself, wiping a forearm across his mouth. He smirked.

"I wish I could tell you it's worth it, that your generous contribution will see me to greatness, but you're barely a snack." The centaur circled the statues a moment, then kicked over the chicken. "Not to worry though, there are many more of you in this forest. By the time I'm finished, I should be just strong enough to take back all the delicious magic those proud, pompous ponies flaunt so wastefully. But then, your kind never really saw eye to eye with ponies anyway, did you?"

He laughed a cold, self-serving laugh.

"And let's not forget about our mysterious host," he continued, casting an eye around the motionless trees. "I'll have to thank them for providing me with such an abundance of snacks. Such service is so hard to find these days."

More silence. This time, the frivolity did not recover. Tirek scowled. He drank in the faint aromas all around him once more, letting them tug his attention in every direction. One scent in particular pulled the hardest, and was awfully close by. It was the scent of a manticore, and it was fully grown.

The centaur rubbed his hands together feverishly.

"So much power, so little time."