• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 4,314 Views, 144 Comments

The Sixth Race - Firefinder



An Earth ship comes upon a ship crewed by interesting beings. Stargate meets MLP

  • ...
17
 144
 4,314

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Are we there yet?” Warrant Officer Eric Migzaiz asked with a yawn while looking at the blue ring form of hyperspace.

“At our current speed and course, about two more hours until we arrive at the Theta Site, Eric,” Max said.

“So that would be a no.”

“Affirmative.”

“Then why didn’t you say so?”

“Where is the fun in that?”

“You know even for an A.I. you have a weird sense of humor,” Eric said as he turned away from the view port thinking to himself how the hell he went from a lowly Specialist in the U.S. Army to a commander of a mobile Ancient defense platform. Oh, yeah, it is because I have an ATA gene about as strong as Colonel Sheppard’s, I so got sent to the Atlantis Expedition and had the BRIGHT idea to sit in the control chair of said the defense platform that my team found, thinking that the post was out of power. Which just so happened to be home to a clingy A.I. that hates the Wraith, which, as soon as that happened, decided to show up and attacks. When my team, who had left to get Rodney to shut off the force field that was keeping my rear in the chair, got back though the spacegate, the only thing they found was a bunch of debris that was what remained of the two Wraith Hives and four cruisers. They thought that I was dead, which to be fair I was thinking the same thing. But the Firestorm had jumped into hyperspace as per her last command, which I am glad that I was able to overrule.

Eric sighed and thought about all he had learned about the vessel he was once trapped on. It turned out that the platform’s name, when translated, was the Firestorm. It was semi-controlled by the onboard A.I. he called Max. She was built in the wearing days of the Ancient/Wraith war as the ultimate weapon against the Wraith. At three thousand meters long, she was built around the same particle weapon the Lagrangian Point satellites had, but it was far more powerful. She also had several smaller particle beam weapons with settings for both anti-ship and anti-fighter operations, with two drone weapon launchers to round out her armaments. She had the ability to build new drones to replace the ones used in battle, along with the ability to repair herself. In appearance, she looked like a more streamline version of Destiny, with wings added to the bow. They had just left the Sigma Site shipyards a few hours ago, which installed eight Asgard beam weapons, and Asgard beaming technologies technology. Even with three ZPMs and solar energy collected by diving into stars, she was still severely underpowered, so they also put in four naquadria enhanced Neutrino-ion generators to help with the power issues. For mobility she had a Stardrive similar to the type found on the Ancient city ships such as Atlantis. Also on board were special booths that looked like the transport booths on Atlantis, but really were synthesizers for food, clothing, and air; for more complicated things, there was a molecular construction device that was hooked up to the control chair on the bridge. While for defense purposes she had a shield similar to one on the Ancient city ships that took up most of the power.

Of the control systems, she was controlled by a control chair. Max had some control, but her programing limited her to self-defense and repair. When someone with the ATA gene was in the chair she could have complete control, but could be overruled by the user which she imprinted on, allowing only that person to gain control. She could overrule it to allow other people to use to chair, which is why he could be, and why he was in, command. Though she did say that she would allow Colonel Sheppard or General O’Neill to use the chair, but only in emergencies, because she trusted Eric not to lose his cool when she does, which sealed the deal in choosing a commander for the Firestorm, earning him a promotion to Warrant Officer from Sergeant, he was promoted at Atlantis shortly after he arrived.

That was very true fact about the soldier known as Eric Migzaiz. He had an extremely long fuse developed over time, caused by his speech impairment, his small size, five-six and one hundred and thirty pounds, and he was picked on mercilessly when he was younger. Add in the fact that he was in foster care since he was three and was adopted at ten; all this did not do him any favors in the social department. He had both brown hair and eyes, and he was the type of guy to disappear in large crowds only to show up when you least expected it. He joined the Army right out of high school as an artillery firefinding radar operator but was transfered to the Stargate program when his ATA gene was shown to be so strong. He was sent to Atlantis as a sensor operator and as a backup control chair operator. He occasionally went out on missions because staying on Atlantis with nothing to do got boring real fast. It was one of these missions that got him in the situation he found himself in.

He sighed again as he thought about the current situation on Earth. The entire planet was in a middle of a reformation caused by the Stargate being made public in the worst way possible, an attack on Earth itself. The Lucian Alliance decided that the best possible way to stop the Tau’ri from interfering with their plans was to attack at the heart of the matter, which was Earth. So with a fleet of twenty Ha’tak motherships and an Ori Mothership that they somehow got their hands on, they attacked. Which was a bad idea on their part for two reasons; very good reasons. The first reason was that the Firestorm had just made into the system after finally getting enough power to cross the galactic divide, and was able to help the newly repaired and upgraded Prometheus to defend Earth. The Prometheus was heavily damaged by the Ori weapon over the planet Tegalus and barely made it back to Earth. Her repairs were delayed by the urgent need for the more powerful Daedalus-class battlecruisers, but was fast tracked when the Wraith super Hive showed up in Earth orbit. She was upgraded with new beaming tech, new engines, two Asgard beam weapons on her wings, and the newly developed nuclear rail gun that shot a nuclear warhead at Mach two that replaced the missiles, though she still had several setup for anti-fighter operations. The NRG, as it was called, was developed in response to the ineffectiveness of the missile launcher systems caused by the missiles being shot out of the sky. The NRG also increased the number of nukes that the Prometheus could hold from twelve, to about a hundred. It proved to be very effect, for she destroyed four Goa’uld motherships with it alone out of the eight that she destroyed. After the show the Prometheus put on, more of her class was ordered with the upgrades. The Firestorm destroyed the Ori Mothership with her primary weapon and took out another eight Ha’taks before Atlantis got involved and destroyed the last four, but the battle was not without casualties.

The cities Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Chicago, London, New York, Moscow, D.C., Paris, and Berlin, to name a few, were heavily damage. Over ten million people were killed during the attack. A Ha’tak crashed into a small town thirty minutes east of St. Louis, which was Eric’s home town; his entire family was killed in the explosion. It took an entire day for Homeworld Command to get back in contact with him. After he stated who he was, he learned of what had happened. Every ship and all SG teams were ordered to return to Earth.

Earth’s allies also sent ships render aid and support. The Free Jaffa Nation sent six of their new redesigned Ha’taks with healers; the Travelers sent one of their Aurora class ships that they have recently found. Even the Wraith, at least those who been cured of their hunger by Todd, sent one of their hive ships to help. Thankfully for them they arrived last, about a week after it happened which gave Stargate Command enough time to explain that these Wraith were allies and not to be shot at. With that in mind though, they still kept a few ships between both the Firestorm and the Hive, just in case.

It was crazy down on the surface for weeks as the public panicked, but they soon realized that their governments had been doing this behind their backs for close to a decade and a half, and that this was the first in a long series of attempts to attack Earth that succeeded. After everything was said and done, the public wanted blood. Which lead to the Alliance’s second mistake, they united Earth. Originally it was a couple thousand Tau’ri fighting them. Now, now it was close to nine billion whom all wanted their heads on a gold with silver inlay platter. Once this happened and Earth’s allies realized that the Tau’ri had been fighting with a small fraction of their total strength, they went to a “safer” orbit… around Jupiter.

The first thing that happened was the creation of the Tau’ri Council, as it was called. It dealt with everything about the Stargate, the defense of Earth, dealing with their allies, basically anything to do with dealing with other planets. It was stationed on Atlantis which was moved with the gate from Cheyenne Mountain, to the Antarctica Ancient outpost which turned out to be a drone weapon factory power by geothermal energy. All the world's militaries retrained themselves to fight off world threats and several defense satellites were put in orbit, while shipyards were built in several countries to speed up production. The Lucian Alliance was about to figure out why the Tau’ri were named the Fifth Race by the Asgard.

During this time the Firestorm was moved to the Sigma Site to receive her upgrades. While that was happening, Eric was debriefed on what happened to him and what had happened while he was away. He was given his promotion to Warrant Officer so he was able to command the Firestorm without going to officer school for six months, but it was stretching the regulations a lot.

Now he was on his way to the Theta Site to pick up his new crew. He just knew that the majority of the crew would be scientists to study the Firestorm because what was the use of a crew on a ship that practically ran itself. That and the personnel files told him all he needed to know. So he had Max take the long way to the Site to delay the storm of questions that he barely survived the first time around, and was not looking forward to a second time. He knew most of them were going to be about the level of the telepathic link to Max enhance by a watch like device which was made to suit his unique brainwave pattern and to communicate on an instinctual level with him.

He then felt the deck give a small shudder as they dropped out of hyperspace. “Max, it’s been barely fifteen minutes since I asked how long it was to the Theta Site, let alone two hours. What’s up?” he asked as he made his way to the control chair just in case it was needed.

“Look outside,” was Max’s answer. He did and his jaw dropped.

“What is it?” he asked as the chair reclined to give him a better view of the hologram of the object that popped up. As he studied it, it reminded him of the Mass Effect Relays from the game Mass Effect. It was sitting in near orbit of a star.

“I don’t know.”

“Doing a deep scan of it should clear up some questions.”

“The rings in the middle have an amount of naquadah consistent with the Stargates,” Max said.

“Get closer and contact the Council, they’ll want to know about this,” Eric said as he tried to decipher what it was from the sensor readings.

As they got to within a few hundred meters of the device he noticed that it was roughly about a thousand meters long and a hundred meters tall and it was of Ancient make. Then he noticed something that shocked him. It was powering up, and fast.

“Max back us up. Whatever this thing is, it’s powering up and I don’t feel like being on the wrong end of an Ancient super weapon,” Eric ordered while he raised the shields, just in case.

As the Firestorm reversed course, the rings lit up and activated the same way as a standard Stargate. As soon as they did, a ripple in space appeared and started to pull the Firestorm to it at blinding speeds. Before he knew what happened, he blacked out.