• Published 26th Feb 2021
  • 787 Views, 188 Comments

Tidalverse: The Fearsome Foursome - Alden MacManx



Four life-long friends go fishing one fine late spring morning. The Event happens. Now what?

  • ...
4
 188
 787

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Down in Louisiana, where the black trees grow....

The five zombies, two unicorns, two earth ponies and one pegasus, moved onto the pier under Major Cargill’s mental direction, her control gem shining in the afternoon sunlight. Captain Hardegan moved back off the pier onto the shore, his own control gem glowing bright. “Captain Frick, are you going to surrender your ship, or will I have to take it by force?” Major Cargill called up.

“You can try, Major. I doubt your capability to succeed!” Frick called down as the starboard side rifle fired once, sending the bullet between and over Cargill’s ears and grazing her tail before embedding in the wood of the pier. At the same time, Frieda cut the three ropes keeping the raft held fast to the port side of Deliverance.

Cargill’s ears twitched, as did her wings. “Did you just dare shoot at me?” she shrieked.

“Are you daring to take my ship?” Frick called down. “If so, to tell the truth, no, I didn’t fire at you.” He paused a few seconds as the rifle adjusted its aim. “My first mate did. He’s operating the guns, I’m running the boat.”

“Well, time for your little putt-putt to run into some trouble!” Cargill snarled as her gem flared again. The water at the stern of the boat roiled some as two hippogriff zombies tried to climb the ladder, but were quickly pulled back under. “What the fuck?”

“Major, y’all have gone just a little too far now,” Captain Hardegan said in a firm voice. “The only way you are taking possession of that there boat is over my dead body!”

Cargill spun on her hooves to face Hardegan, her face showing her rage. “Consider it done, Captain!” she spat. The two unicorns on the pier turned to face Hardegan, their horns lighting up.

The forward hatch of the Deliverance flipped open as Fran stood up, shotgun at the ready. She fired two stun bags at the unicorns, hitting each near their left ears, causing them to lose concentration, their horns going out. They shook their heads and looked back at Hardegan. Their horn glows this time were not as bright, and they flickered some. Fran kept her aim up.

“I would call off your troops, Major,” Frick calmly said from the bridge. “Unless you want to lose them. The first rounds are stunning shots. Want to wager the next ones are not?”

“You wouldn’t dare injure any of my ponies! Queen Marie would not stand for such a thing!” the Major yelled. “She’ll kill you, if you’re lucky!”

“Ah wouldn’t be so shuah of that, Major,” Captain Hardegan said quietly. “Ah suggest y’all check your mail. Someone’s tryin’ to get through to you.”

“Oh? Who would dare do such a thing? I’m in command here, and I’m taking that ship!” the Major shouted, clearly losing her composure. These foreign ponies were not playing the game right! They were not submitting like they should!

A loud BOOM came from in front of the house. A cloud of black smoke rose, getting everypony’s attention. When the smoke cleared, two ponies stood there, one a forest-green pegasus stallion wearing a black sash with four white stripes and a large white diamond on a silver chain, and a black unicorn mare with white hooves, horn, mane and tail, the latter two of which were neatly plaited into an ornate braid, who did not wear a gem. She didn’t need one. Her cutie mark was of a white rag doll, easily seen against her black fur, with three pins neatly skewering it. Also, she did NOT look happy. Quite the opposite, really. Rage lurked just beneath the surface. The aura of menace, of power, of ‘somebody woke the sleeping dragon and it’s after YOUR ass’, radiated off of her like dark sunlight, causing all the visiting ponies who had NOT met her before to shiver some at the sight and wish they were somewhere else, like Timbuktu under a false name.

“Major, just what do you think you are doing?” the black unicorn said in a voice that was at the same time gentle, yet backed by enough power to squish ponies like bugs.

Major Cargill froze in position, her wings slightly flared. “My Queen! What brings you here? I am trying to bring a great prize for you!” she managed to say, panic lurking below the surface of her words, panic itching to be let free, like take off and fly away, very, very FAST.

Marie approached the Major, her horn flickering white and black. “Go on, Cargill. Continue speaking. You planned on taking the boat for yourself, heading back to Baton Rouge and dispose of the Colonel, right?” she said calmly, just looking at the pegasus as she tried to maintain her composure.

Deliverance, stand down, but retain vigilance. This isn’t over yet,” Frick said quietly. Fran set her shotgun down on the deck, putting it between two of the grain bins so it would not slide. Fred moved the starboard rifle up, so Marie would not be in the line of fire. Freida went to the aft gun locker, removed her hunting rifle, checked its loads, and made ready, waiting behind the saloon corner, watching. Frack circled high overhead, making sure his shadow did NOT overfly the scene below, but his cell phone was in his hooves and he was filming what was going on below him. The raft with the barrels of grains drifted, but the severed lines were taken up by hippogriffs and was moved to shore, Lieutenant Parker leading two Z’s in securing the grain.

“Come on, Cargill. Tell me the truth behind your actions!” Marie snapped out, a white beam coming from her horn and surrounding Cargill’s head. “Speak!”

Cargill literally pissed herself as she stood, fighting the command to speak, shaking. “To move up, step on those below, stab the ones above to take their position for yourself,” she muttered. “Perfect opportunity to supplant Forest and take Northern District command for myself.”

“What are my orders concerning strangers coming downriver?”

“Thorough questioning to determine motives. Evaluate their chances of making it downstream. Take reports and ensure said reports get to headquarters without distortion or interpretation. Advise of river course change and make travelers aware that conditions southwest of here are unknown,” Cargill said slowly.

“Where are the instructions allowing you to take the boat for your own use in a supplanting of your superior?” Marie asked sternly, maintaining the glow over Cargill’s head.

“There are none. That was all on my own, to move up in rank, power and privilege,” Cargill said, as urine dripped down her tail and hind legs.

The white glow shut off, and the gem and chain lifted off Cargill’s neck. A red glow came from Marie’s horn and spread to cover Cargill, who shivered and squeaked as she felt her ego, her will, be forced into a tiny corner of her mind, there to rant and rave uselessly. “Report to your new controller, Z one-five-eight. For even considering killing one of my senior officers, your sentence is to serve as a zombie. For taking actions against ponies who are trying to assist me, through their own free will, your sentence is for the rest of your natural life. Report to the patrol boat and remain until ordered,” Marie declared. Without a word, the pony once known as Cargill turned to walk up the gangplank to the river patrol boat she had arrived on. “Clean yourself off first!”

Marie then turned her attention to the Deliverance. “Captain Frick, request permission for my aide and I to come aboard?” she called up in a much more pleasant voice than before, her horn’s glow going out.

“Permission is granted, Your Majesty. Please allow me to moor before you do so,” Frick called down before activating the ship’s speakers. “All hands, stand down from action stations. Prepare to moor. Weapons tight.”

He then picked up the bullhorn. Aiming up, he called, “Come on down, little bro! Secure from red alert!” Frack did a wing-waggle and started his descent, making sure he put his phone away FIRST.

Frick brought the boat alongside the pier, extending the starboard side line winches. Freida soon had the lines cinched to the cleats, Frick activated the self-tensioning systems, put the engines to idle, shifted control to Fred and hurried down the stairs to welcome Marie aboard.

Frick ran into a small issue as he came down the stairs, that being the two barrels of grain on the after deck and two more in the saloon. Looking to where the raft had been beached, Frick took the two barrels on the aft deck in his purple glow and moved the two barrels to shore, followed by the two in the saloon after opening the door. Once the way was clear, Frick went to the access hatch and bowed. “Your Highness, I offer you the hospitality of the Deliverance. May we do business for mutual gain.”

Marie acknowledged Frick’s presence with a regal nod. “I agree with your sentiments, Captain Frick. My aide and Northern Area commander, Colonel Forest,” she said, indicating the pegasus. “Is that fresh-brewed coffee I smell?”

“Yes, it is, Your Highness. Would you like a mug, and if so, how?” Frick asked, backing into the saloon.

“Black with one sugar, and consider protocol to have been met and recognized, Captain. You are not my subject, but your manners are noted with pleasure,” Marie said with dignity.

“Thank you, Your Majesty. Now, before coffee, let us have a place to put the coffee!” Frick used his glow to raise and unfold the saloon table before going to the galley and pouring a mug of coffee the way Marie liked. “Would you like some, Colonel?”

“Plain black, please,” the green pegasus said in a thick Southern accent.

“Coming up!” As Frick poured, he called out, “Fran, please relieve the First Officer so he can be here for discussions. Secure engines and start the generator.”

“Yes, Captain!” came from below as Fran came up the steps and out, going to the pilothouse. Fred heard everything, of course, so he was ready. Once Frick served the coffee, Freida moved to the galley position while Frick sat down across from Marie.

“Welcome, Your Highness and Colonel. If I may ask, how much do you already know about our situation regarding whom we are acting on behalf of?” Frick asked.

The Colonel spoke first. “Ah have Captain Hardegan’s full report, which ah have submitted verbatim to Her Majesty upon receipt last night. She is fully aware of all that was included, suh.”

“May I ask for Captain Hardegan’s presence here? He was present when I first told the story, and he can spot any changes,” Frick asked as Fred came in and sat on the settee at Frick’s left hoof.

“You may ask, and I agree. You are trying to display your sincerity, and to dispel any doubts I may have about your intent. I will summon him,” Marie said in far less regal tones than she had used before. She shut her eyes as her horn flickered briefly. “He will be in as soon as he has the outside situation stable. Should only be a short time.”

“What’s unstable, if I may ask?” Fred spoke.

“Captain Hardegan is making sure the crew of the patrol boat knows to take orders from him, myself, or Colonel Forest, take no actions until ordered to, and remain aboard until told to come out,” Marie said. “Hardegan knows what is best.”

“I understand now,” Fred said as Frack came in the aft saloon door, saw the conference setting, then turned around, shut the door, and went to the pilothouse, where he gave his phone to Fran, asking her to download the video for saving. Fran did that as Hardegan entered the cabin, taking the seat to Frick’s right.

For an hour, the five ponies discussed what all parties involved desired as an optimal outcome. Marie outlined her desires, Frick spoke of his desires for the ship as well as relating what the WSU wanted for access upriver. As the skies darkened, Marie rose from her seat.

“Tomorrow, I will return with detailed charts as to what I claim for my own territory, so your WSU folk would not inadvertently trespass. Access is granted to use the Atchafalaya River to head upstream, with one provision. That is no one may land, anchor or set hoof on the eastern bank of the river until passing North Point. West bank is open for use by any who wish to, though I cannot say what is there.

“Colonel Forest, you are to remain here until tomorrow morning, when you will command the patrol boat back to base in Baton Rouge. Until I return, my blessings on you and yours, Captain Frick, First Officer Fred, and the crew of Deliverance.

“Oh, I will have a scribe write everything down. Tomorrow, you read it and either agree, or submit changes. Notify your WSU people of my decisions tonight and see if there are any points that have been overlooked. Good evening to all,” she concluded before her horn flashed and she vanished with a faint pop of displaced air.

Everyone remained quiet for a moment after Her Majesty left, until Freida spoke up. “She’s not half as bad as she’s made out to be,” she observed. “Anyone for a quick supper?”

“What’s available, Maw?” Fred asked.

“Porridge and cornbread, with molasses. I can do that up right quick,” Freida confirmed.

At a nod from Frick, Fred told his wife, “Go ahead and get started. Colonel, how many non-zombie crew are aboard the patrol boat?”

Colonel Forest thought for a moment, his gem flickering. “Three, the lieutenant in charge and two sergeants. Eight, no, nine zombies. Are you offering dinner, First Officer?”

“Yes, we are. Captain Hardegan, your crew is invited as well. Can some tables be set out on the pier, because there won’t be enough room in here for all. Oh, does anyone want some leftover fried fish?” Fred asked.

“How long left over?” Forest asked.

“From lunch,” Frieda said. “It’s in the fridge. I can heat it up and those of us who want some can add it in their porridge. Should I break out spare coffee pots?”

Colonel Forest chuckled some. “That would be a good idea, Miz Frieda!”


The next day, about nine, Queen Marie returned with a package of official papers, one additional pony, a rather ornate saddlebag, and no thunderflash and black cloud of teleportation smoke. She requested to hold court on the pier rather than aboard Deliverance, which was swiftly granted. A table was set up, all the non-zombies gathered, and she began her presentation.

“First off, I want to commend the North Point staff for subtly countering Cargill’s moves yesterday. Second, Patrol Boat Three’s staff for not getting involved. From the Colonel’s reports, none of the patrol boat’s crew had any awareness of Cargill’s plans until she put them in effect. Third, I compliment Captain Frick and the crew of Deliverance for NOT escalating matters when they had every reason to do so, to preserve their lives. They easily could have killed Cargill and two zombies, but they chose not to. I can use more ponies like them, but they have a mission of their own, which I will let them pursue,” she started off.

Marie then put a hoof on the saddlebag she had brought. Using her white glow, the bag opened, and an official-looking folder was removed and given to Frick. “In there are what we discussed last night, along with maps of what territory I claim exclusivity on. Outside of the borders, I do not watch. If the WSU wishes to set up a trading outpost nearby, I will not object. I had planned to start contact with outside, but not for another few years yet. To that end, I want to send an emissary out to the WSU, someone honorable, someone worthy. Captain Hardegan, do step forward.”

Startled, Hardegan stood and stepped up to the table. Marie, using her glow, removed Hardegan’s red gem medallion and replaced it with a larger green one. “As of now, you are Ambassador Hardegan, assigned to see how the WSU and my kingdom here can successfully integrate, if at all. It is requested of the Deliverance crew to bring the Ambassador to contact with the WSU, but it is only a request. If you cannot do so, Captain Frick, please say so and we can arrange other ways.

“Lieutenant Parker, Sergeant Kramer, do step forward,” she said. When the two hippogriffs did so, Marie replaced their medallions with those of the next rank up. “Captain Parker, Lieutenant Kramer, you now command North Point. You know the instructions already. Sergeant Smith will be added to your crew to maintain proper staff balance. You have one of the strongest concentrations of zombies here, in case of unpleasantness coming from the north. May it never be necessary,” she said to all as a rather dingy-looking brown unicorn with white socks and blaze, and a nearly incandescent green mane stepped up next to Sergeant Longbaugh.

“Colonel Forest, your new orders are to go to the granary that the Deliverance went to yesterday and load up as much as you can safely take, to bring back to Baton Rouge. Construct a larger raft and make sure the grain makes it to the Depot. Will ease the budget quite a bit.”

Marie took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “This audience is at an end. Captain Parker, get with Colonel Forest on design and construction of a larger raft. Ambassador Hardegan, please join me with the Deliverance crew to review the documents. Back to work, ponies!”


Aboard Deliverance, Frick, Fred, Hardegan and Queen Marie sat at the saloon table, papers spread out around them. “If I’m understanding this correctly, Your Majesty, your territorial claim is from here, east along the former Louisiana/Mississippi border, along that line of latitude further east to the Alabama state line, and all points south. On the west side, the east bank of the Atchafalaya River is considered your territory, but the west bank is fair game. Inside those boundaries, you hold sway and desire no trespass unless invited, correct?” Fred outlined.

“Correct, First Officer Halvorsen. I may set up a contact station in Biloxi, should there be enough interest. I do not think there is any true hurry on that, is there?”

“May I ask a question, Your Majesty?” Frick asked. “Why? Why this territory? What’s going on that demands this?”

Marie thought some on the question. “I’m not sure I can answer that in a way that you would understand, Captain. What do you know about voodoo?” she asked.

“Basically, nothing that hasn’t come out of Hollywood,” was Frick’s reply.

“Perhaps I can answer that, Your Majesty,” Fred spoke up. At her nod, he went on. “You answer to a deity or group of deities or spirits that brought you here. They want you to do something for them that involves this territory. Now, we don’t need to know just what it is. You are under an oath to do something, so, you are taking steps to get it done.”

“In essence, without being specific, you are very close to the truth. How did you come to that conclusion?” Marie asked.

“It’s what I am doing for a deity myself, Your Majesty,” Fred replied. At both Marie’s and Hardegan’s startled blinks, he explained about how he is in contact with Raven, and is acting as his agent here on this plane of existence, helping others find the deity that would best serve that individual’s needs. “I have some fringe benefits, like healing by touch and being able to speak the language of whom I am near. For instance, in your presence, I can speak fluent French. Frick has studied that language, but you are more of a ‘native speaker’, and I can read that easily.”

“Interesting. I had no idea such would be happening to others. That could explain why I find you and yours agreeable.” Marie then looked at the papers and maps spread on the table. “Are you in agreement with the terms so outlined here, Captain?”

“Yes, Your Majesty. I spoke with Captain Prateek this morning, and he agrees to your terms for now, and awaits the chance to speak with Ambassador Hardegan about setting up trade relations, both with you and yours and the rest of the world. I know you know of Havana, and there is more involved than just there. I am authorized to sign these papers on behalf of the WSU, and agree to bring your Ambassador to the WSU for more detailed talks. Honor should always be met with honor, not treachery,” Frick said before stopping.

“I have noticed that tendency in you and yours, Captain. Don’t ever lose the tendency,” Marie said before sipping some coffee.

Fran spoke up from the pilothouse. “Pardon me, Your Majesty, but how many ponies dwell in your domain? How many are zombies?”

“Very good questions, Technical Officer. Overall, in my domain, I have a little short of two thousand five hundred living beings of various types, and only one hundred fifty-eight zombies. Zombies are of use, but they require care, supervision and proper handling. Not many of my ponies are capable of being good zombie operators,” Marie replied.

“How about technology? Do you have power? Communications? Anything of the sort anywhere?” Fran asked. “If so, communications will be easier. There is some of the Internet remaining. You could call the WSU and talk directly!” Fran exclaimed.

Marie shook her head, looking at the table. “There is, but only in limited areas of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. We have a plenitude of refined and unrefined fuel which we could offer for trade, along with some other products. I don’t have a complete inventory yet, but it’s being worked on.

“I have found that if I try to operate technology more sophisticated than a light switch, the technology goes dead quickly, usually with smoke. I use the enchanted gems to communicate. Where one of my operators are, I can go to, by using the gem as an indicator. In my territory, I can go anywhere I wish instantly. I have not tried to go far beyond what I claim. That’s what my subjects are for.

“Ponies and others, thank you for your assistance. Time to get back to my business. Ambassador Hardegan, you know what I desire. Do your job well.” Marie then paused to look at everypony in the cabin. “Remember, it can be lonely at the top. Looking fearsome is but one way to deter enemies, just be ready when the bluff is called. Until we meet again.” She then vanished with the faint noise of her teleport.

Silence reigned in the cabin for a good moment or so before Frack spoke. “You know, I can respect her. Some of what she does is smoke and mirrors, but it keeps her focused on her goals. One would think she rules over a land of zombies, but that’s not really the case.”

“Brother, I wonder why they call you dumb. You just proved you’re not,” Frick said quietly, finishing the dregs of his coffee.

“I know that, bro. If they think I’m dumb, they won’t try hard to outwit me, so I can outwit them. Been working for how long now?” Frack replied with a smile.

Author's Note:

I had this chapter done and dusted, except for some last-minute reviews, by last Saturday. How I managed that, I don't know. Had to wait till today to post.

Looks like Marie Laveau is just as mean and deadly as she has been reported to be. But, like all bits of myth and legendry, what one hears may not be actual facts. Never forget that.

Also, smart of Frick, Fred and Fran for not being trigger-happy fools. Could have plugged Cargill and the zombies, but they held back. Now, had Marie NOT shown up, it could have been different.

After this, the Gulf of Mexico and some blue-water sailing. Time to see if they learned anything heading down river...

PreviousChapters Next