• Published 25th Feb 2021
  • 2,063 Views, 237 Comments

Sunny Starscout and The Mystery of Magic - OneLonelyPickle



Sunny Starscout wants to unite the pony races of Equestria. With her new friends, she just might - and she may even discover the mystery of where all the magic went along the way! (Updates every Thursday!)

  • ...
18
 237
 2,063

8 - A Big Meathead Named Hitch Trailblazer

“We’re doomed! DOOMED!”

The stallion prisoner shouted and wept. All of the prisoners in the prison wagon whined and groaned. Izzy laid down and stared at nothing on the floor, sniffling in defeat. But Sunny alone remained stalwart. Her brow curved downward, she snorted and addressed the other prisoners.

“Now hold on! Just becau—”

A particularly whiny stallion hollered directly into her ear.

“DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEDDDD!” he whined, high-pitched and nasally. Sunny winced and waved him away.

“Q-quiet, I’m saying just wai—”

“DOOOOMED DOOOOOMED DOOOOOMED!”

Sunny looked out around the wagon. The soldiers were looking up at their prisoners and chuckling. Sunny caught the smug eye of Sir Bastion. Sunny’s rage scrunched her face towards its center into a snarl.

She turned back around toward the whiny stallion, who was still crying.

“DON’T YOU GET THAT WE’RE DOO—”

“ENOUGH!” Sunny roared. All the prisoners stopped crying and looked up at Sunny, knocked out of their stupor. Izzy stood up and stared at Sunny with amazement. Sunny continued.

“So this Bastion fellow can take a few swings from a Diamond Dog. So we can’t escape. So what!” She glanced around at the prisoners, who were all ears and wide-eyed. “I’m telling you, I’ll make this all right! You DON’T have to be afraid.”

The prisoners stopped sniffling and sobbing. The elderly stallion from earlier lightly smiled at Sunny.

“Bless ya, lass. Thas the kinda talk we need righ now.”

His young companion nodded. The other prisoners put on their strongest expressions and sat back down, no longer crying. Izzy tapped Sunny’s shoulder.

“Wow! That was pretty amazing! I don’t even feel all that scared anymore!”

Sunny blinked.

“Yeah uhhh I guess I have a way with words after all, or something.” Sunny cocked her head. “Honestly didn’t realize that would work so well. I just got so mad seeing that stupid Bastion’s face.”

Izzy and Sunny sat on their haunches near the front of the wagon. Izzy smiled, her smile bright and white despite the shadow cast by her sunhat.

“Sometimes, all a Uni—PONY needs is something to snap them out of their fear! Rye Rye’s always really good at that with me.”

The wagon came to a stop and a few of the soldiers appeared at the back of the wagon and opened its back door, which became a ramp down to the ground once lowered.

“You!” said one female soldier, pointing at Sunny. The soldier wore bronze armor, like Sir Bastion’s, although without the intricate patterns etched in. Sunny glared back at her. The soldier continued. “Come with me! Sir Bastion wants you walking alongside him in the front!”

Sunny growled back.

“Why?! And with these chains on? No way!” she shook the tight iron contraptions in front of her as if it weren’t already obvious. The guard stepped onto the wagon and waved her spear, which was skillfully balanced with one hoof over her shoulder.

“Come willingly or we’ll force you!”

Sunny gritted her teeth and then turned to Izzy, who had a pouty lip.

“Y-you better go… don’t worry about me…”

Some of the prisoners stood up and glared at the soldier.

“Why does she have to go?” one prisoner demanded. Another standing across from him repeated the same sentiment.

“Yeah! We can barely move with these things on! That’s torture!”

“QUIET!” screamed a male soldier. He spun around his spear and jabbed one of the prisoners with the blunt end, eliciting a grunt of pain. Sunny motioned the prisoners to stop and left the wagon.

“Don’t worry, everypony! I bet he just wants to talk!”

* * *

Sunny grunted wildly. She could feel the saliva pooling behind the ball gag that Sir Bastion had ordered placed into her mouth (but not without a lot of struggle, and Sunny was proud of that). Her legs were on fire from the friction of her hoof chains. Sir Bastion found it hilarious.

“Now then! No more of that big mouth of yours flapping away!” he smugly shouted. “The worse type of traitor is one that incites rebellion! Ohhhh, I hope the Protector chooses one of the fun punishments for you!”

The sun was well past the middle of the sky, but it wasn’t much less scorching hot than at noon. Sunny desperately wanted room to open her mouth and pant like a dog, but her tongue was firmly trapped behind the ball gag. She looked at the dirt below to avoid watching the haze that covered the top of the road. She hadn’t noticed the heat when it was the wagon moving her forward and not her own, tired hooves.

While Sunny slowed down and struggled to keep up, Sir Bastion and the other soldiers moved along at their usual pace. Eventually Sunny looked up and saw the Knight of the Realm speaking to his page, and he beckoned him back to where Sunny was trudging.

“Go make sure she does not talk to anyearthpony. Especially that friend of hers.”

Sunny and Sir Bastion looked at one another at a distance, and the Knight’s smile grew wider and smugger.

“Of course, there is the gag — but I do not like to take chances with prisoners like her!”

And so, Nate the page did as ordered. Sunny took notice of him properly for the first time – he seemed timid, and the coat underneath his set of bronze armor was an unusual light pink (most soldiers had more earth-toned coats). His mane was hidden underneath a spotless bronze helmet and cut short, or at least Sunny couldn’t see a single strand of hair. As he approached Sunny, they met eyes. Nate turned his hazelnut eyes away as soon as it happened.

“Y-you heard Sir Bastion!” Nate said, mustering all his courage. There was a little blaze behind his eyes, Sunny thought. But nothing more than a tiny flame that quickly extinguished when she glared back at him. Nate gulped.

“A-anyway…” he stuttered, trailing off. Sunny looked up to the side of the wagon. Izzy, like a sad puppy, was staring down with a pouty lip. Sunny attempted what she thought would at least resemble a smile. Izzy grimaced. Nate noticed and gasped.

“A-are you going to be sick or…?” he asked Sunny. Sunny deadpanned and sighed. It sounded like a grumbly moan. She looked over to her right, back toward the coast that was still not far off.

Sunny imagined lying on a rock on the sandy beach of Maretime Bay, letting the smell of the sea carry her worries away with the tide. Even laying on the dirt would ease the fire in her legs.

“Hey, uh.”

Sunny’s left ear twitched. A quiet voice had escaped from the page beside her. He cleared his throat and half-turned so that he was staring past her as they trotted.

“Don’t think I’m p-praising you, but… it’s crazy what you have been saying to Sir Bastion,” Nate stared wide-eyed at his master, who was joking around with his subordinates at the front of the wagon. Nate continued shakily, “Earth Ponies… Earth Ponies who talk that way — Earth P-Ponies don’t ever talk that way to him. I couldn’t even imagine it…”

Nate fully turned and looked Sunny in her eyes, and she saw looking back at her a yearning desire.

“Aren’t you a-afraid of him? Of what he can do to you if you make him mad — not that I’ve ever seen him get mad or anything.”

Sunny mumbled and pointed at her ball gag, then flicked her eyebrows up as if to signal Nate. The corner of his lips screwed upward and he hummed.

“Right, you can’t reply. Well…”

Nate cleared his throat.

“Y-you might think you’re some kind of hero, or whatever, but you don’t know what’s going on. There’s no way. If you did, you’d be scared just like all the rest. And I’ve seen hundreds of them already in the last year since I became Sir Bastion’s page.”

Nate looked up at the wagon. Izzy lowered her head when she saw the page turn. Sunny followed the page’s gaze and saw the prisoners’ looks, mixtures of apprehension and fear in their eyes. While Sunny had given them a second wind of sorts earlier, it only went so far. Still, they were clearly tough stallions. Strong ponies who were probably fisherponies or laborers. Merchants’ assistants, perhaps.

Nate shook his head.

“And you say you want to talk sense into the Protector of the Realm?!”

Nate closed his eyes.

“You’re crazier than Sir Bastion! You don’t know anything, Sunny Starscout! She’d never in a million years be friends with a hornhead or a featherfreak!”

Sunny noticed the tops of some buildings further ahead on the road while Nate continued in a huff.

“The Protector of the Realm comes from an old family, one of the first families of the Stone Table! They shared First Bread with Rockhoof and Meadowbrook. They’re Earth Pony heroes —real heroes!”

Sunny rolled her eyes and nudged into Nate. He shook his head and snapped out of his tirade. Sunny motioned towards the buildings. Nate blinked rapidly.

“O-oh. That’s, uhh, Halfway.”

Sunny rose a single eyebrow. Nate continued.

“Yeah, it’s a tiny village called Halfway. We restock there with supplies whenever we have to come out this way – and that’s not often, trust me. The bulls need to eat, too.”

Sunny hoped beyond hopes that she’d get a chance to sit on her tired rump, even for a minute, and alleviate some pain in her hooves where the chains were attached. The wooden buildings on the horizon slowly became larger and taller as the entourage got closer, and each step Sunny felt the laughter and smug voice of Sir Bastion become more distant and distant as she fixated on the thought of getting to rest.

* * *

Sunny stood shaking with rage, ball gag still in her sore mouth. A rope, tied around her neck at one end and tied around a worn, wooden hitching post, at the other, kept her from moving too far. Sir Bastion, on the other side of the road, entered a building as he laugh-shouted back at Sunny.

“Now don’t sit on those tired legs of yours, Sunny Starscout — that would be admitting defeat. You’re far too stubborn a little Earth Pony for that, my dear!”

Sunny attempted to shoot a slew of explicit statements at Sir Bastion but all that came out was “GBURGAPLURGABLAHHAJHAJAH!” Nate reared his head back to avoid the spit and the end of his mouth rose up in disgust.

“C-can you not?” he pleaded, “Just let me watch you and I’ll explain where we’re going, okay?” Sunny grumbled and half-closed her eyelids in anger. Nate slightly smiled. “You know Ms. Starscout, it’s kind of nice to talk to someone who can’t talk back. Usually, the other soldiers don’t let me talk for very long…”

Sunny’s eyelids rose up and her eyes became huge, remembering Nate’s rant earlier. She tried to shout, “NO KIDDING!” at Nate, but what came out was nothing close. Nate chuckled.

“Yeah, tell me about it!” he said, hearing something completely different. Sunny’s eyes wandered over to the parked prison wagon sitting in the middle of the village.

The bulls had been let off their harnesses and were drinking and eating somewhere else. In the wagon itself, Sunny spotted a sad Izzy laying her head against the railing. Izzy’s big, pouty lip continued to quiver as Sunny provided her with an inspiring facial expression.

Well, that was the hope. Izzy grimaced, thinking Sunny was going insane with the odd way she continued trying to contort her face.

“You okay?” Izzy asked from a distance.

Sunny shrieked in frustration at nopony in particular. She closed her eyes and stomped around. Nate reached toward her with a hoof.

“H-hey, relax! That will just make the chafing worse! If you just be quiet and calm down, maybe Sir Bastion will—”

But Nate dared not continue. The sheer hatred emanating from Sunny’s glare nearly burned a hole right through his forehead. He took a step back and half-covered his face with a hoof.

“O-ok, have it your way!”

A stallion’s animal-like roar erupted and bounced around inside the single street of Halfway. Sunny turned toward the source of the sound and saw nothing but a blur as something or somepony cut the rope securing her to the hitching post and lifted her into the air.

Swinging through the air, Sunny turned to the right and up to see the thing holding her.

He was a stallion, clearly around her age. His bright turquoise mane went up like a wave and fell to one side of his face, just above one of two brown eyes. The stallion’s eyes seemed to sparkle to Sunny. The rest of the stallion’s face was, quite honestly, handsome. Chiselled features and, most importantly, a bright, wide smile.

Sunny became hot in the face. The stallion leaned down, gripped the ball gag with his teeth, and tore it off Sunny’s mouth. She didn’t feel the pain of the action, instead more focused on the relief of being able to move her jaw and talk.

“Ummm…” was all she could manage as she beheld the heroic visage of her savior. His light amber furred face seemed to glow, as did his gleaming grin. Sunny looked around and realized that the stallion was gripping a rope with one hoof and Sunny with the other. The other end of the rope was attached to the jutting roof of one of the nearby buildings. Once the two reached the apex of the rope’s trajectory, the stallion let go and the two tumbled toward the ground below.

“AHHHH!” Sunny screamed, hanging onto the stallion tighter. Seemingly effortlessly, the stallion held her firmly with one hoof and then landed them both with only a mild tumble.

Sunny admired the stallion with awe. He didn’t break much of a sweat on the dismount. He retrieved the length of rope and quickly rolled it up. Sunny then noticed a shovel tied to the stallion’s side, secured to a thin leather belt that wrapped around his midsection.

“Long time no see, Sunny Starscout,” the stallion said in a charming voice. Sunny blushed again and looked up to the dashing hero. His smile twinkled in the midday sun.

“Hiiiii,” Sunny said in a trance, “Do I know youuuuu?”

The stallion opened his mouth to speak but something caught his eye. Sunny followed the stare and realized it was a somepony. Specifically, a mare. Sunny’s heart caught in her throat.

“My, my,” the stallion cooed, offering a hoof to the other mare. He wore a goofy, stupid expression. Sunny didn’t even bother to look at the mare. The stallion continued, “Don’t step in that mud puddle, miss. You’ll get those perfect hooves all dirty.”

Sunny stewed and grit her teeth. The stupid stallion was giving the mare the same smile he has just given Sunny. The mare took the stallion’s hoof and accepted the help with a thank you. As she walked away, the stallion smiled after her.

“Just doin’ a sheriff’s job, ma’am. You look a peach today, by the by,” he called after. Sunny rose onto her hindhooves with a wicked grunt and pounded the stallion with one of her hooves. The stallion tumbled into the dirt, a dusty cloud rising up in response. Sunny heaved with frustration.

“YOU DUMMY! I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR AND YOU’RE JUST SOME IDIOT!”

The stallion was tongue tied as he staggered to his hooves.

“Bh — that’s not true! That’s no way to talk to an old chum!”

Sunny snorted.

“Old chum? Have you lost your mind?!”

The stallion brought a hoof to his chest and pleaded.

“It’s me: Hitch Trailblazer! We come from the same town! Maretime Bay! Sunny, how could you forget me!”

The so-called Hitch looked around Sunny as if missing something that he failed to see on her before.

“How could you forget about ol’ Hitch! We were in the same class for a few years! Sunny, I was practically the only Earth Pony who never made fun of you for being weird!”

Ignoring the fact that Hitch implied Sunny was weird, the Earth Pony mare shot back in a quick response.

“Yeah? Well, I definitely don’t remember you ever standing up for me, Mister Knight! That’s the only thing I’d bother to remember!” Sunny shouted, ending in a mocking tone. Hitch was at a loss for words. He looked to the dirt.

“Y-yeah but…”

A darkish blur slammed into Hitch and launched him far down the road back toward where the prison wagon had come from. Sunny couldn’t even react before that same blur threw a noose around her neck and pulled her back toward the prison wagon. When the blur had slowed to a trot, Sunny saw that it was Sir Bastion.

“There are far, FAR too many Earth Ponies I now have to punish,” the Knight began, somehow able to rant with his usual unphased smile present. “First, there is that no-good page of mine, Nate Chivaltarry. He will get latrine duty for a week! And that even-worse sheriff, Hetch Trackblaster… I’ll have him whipped at Castletown so all those mares he loves can see!”

Sir Bastion looked back at Sunny with a more sinister smile than usual (Sunny was becoming accustomed to the various smiles of Sir Bastion).

“But you, Sunny Starscout! For this insubordination, this rebellious nature of yours…”

Sir Bastion chuckle-snorted as if at that very moment thirty different punishment ideas danced about in his mind.

“Oh, it will be something for the books! You know, we keep books for this sort of thing: the written annals of the best way to punish traitors!”

Try as she might, Sunny couldn’t hope to slow down Sir Bastion’s advance. She felt like a little filly being pony-handled by a parent. It was like being a little rambunctious brat all over again, from back when her mom and dad were around.

“Let – me – go. I’ll – walk – back….” Sunny managed to utter as she struggled fruitlessly against Sir Bastion. His response was a single smug laugh.

“You are lucky to be walking at all right now. Quiet.”

Sir Bastion all but dragged Sunny back to the prison wagon before wandering off to the front of the transport. Izzy, just as exasperated from all the excitement as Sunny, peered over the side of the wagon.

“S-Sunny! Are you alright?!” she cried. Sunny caught her breath and shot Izzy a warm smile.

“Yep! Don’t worry about it, that was just uhhh…” Sunny looked back towards where Hitch had been sent flying. She saw the faint shape of a stallion in the distance running towards the village and waving. She sighed. “I guess a failed rescue. Maybe?”

Sir Bastion returned with a fresh smile and a fresh ballgag. Sunny saw it and became instantly hostile towards the Knight.

“Are we going to do this again?” Sunny asked with a threatening bark. She bit in Sir Bastion’s direction, fire alive in her eyes. “I’ll bite anypony that gets near me!”

A few of the soldiers gathered around. Sir Bastion motioned with a light jerk of his head and movement of his eyeballs, and the four soldiers moved toward Sunny. Sunny lowered her head and spread her hooves out like a dog on the defensive, glancing 360 degrees around her while the soldiers advanced. Sir Bastion could not have been happier.

“W-wait…!”

Everypony besides Sunny took notice of the voice in the distance that was getting closer. Sir Bastion chuckled. Hitch Trailblazer caught up to the group and hung his head down low, holding up a hoof momentarily and then bringing it to his heaving chest.

“J-just… just wait… a sec…” he managed to let out, sweat matting his mane down against his head. Sunny turned off defensive move and noticed that Hitch suddenly looked dirty, and smaller than before, and not even close to heroic after being treated like a foal by Sir Bastion.

She deadpanned.

Yep. This guy is no Knight, that’s for sure.

Sir Bastion slammed his hoof against the dirt.

“What could it possibly be, sheriff?” the last word was said in a mocking tone, and the soldiers around Sunny laughed. Hitch caught his breath and brought his head up once more.

“Do not ballgag the prisoner! I wish to question her, as sheriff of Maretime Bay!”

The soldiers continued to laugh and looked at one another, before turning to Sir Bastion, who, while smiling as he always did, was clearly annoyed. A single vein stood up on his neck.

“The sheriff of Maretime Bay who spends all his time galivanting about the Realm searching for a ghost!? The sheriff who has been banished from Castle Rockhoof for an outburst against the Protector!? The sheriff who is a giant disgrace to every other sheriff in the Realm!? Is that the sheriff that wants to question my prisoner!?”

The soldiers stifled their laughs before turning to Hitch to beat him down with their serious stares. Hitch seemed to shrink as Sunny watched him flash an uneasy smile.

“Ummm… yes?” he replied, unsure.

Sir Bastion spoke.

“I am willing to forgive what you did with my prisoner. I know you are an idiot and that you never would have let her go, since you love that pretty face of yours so much. That does not mean I want you to have her ear in private. You come from the same traitorous town, after all.”

Hitch frowned and looked at Sunny.

“Traitorous?” he asked quietly. Sunny’s fire returned to her eyes, and she turned her head away in a huff. Hitch shook his head and turned back to Sir Bastion.

“L-listen, it’s like this…”

Hitch looked around for a second then walked close to Sir Bastion.

Mid-trot, a mare caught Hitch’s eye and he stopped to wink and smile. Sunny rolled her eyes.

Sir Bastion took a step back when Hitch snapped out of it and leaned in, not quite understanding the reason for the invasion of personal space. Hitch whispered something, but Sunny was not able to make out what. Sir Bastion’s smile widened ever so slightly, Hitch leaned back, and the two exchanged a nod.

“It’s like that, is it?” the Knight mocked, looking at Sunny. She turned to Hitch and motioned with a hoof that she was confused. Hitch smiled uneasily back at her.

“Very well,” Sir Bastion said with a loud chuckle. He motioned toward his soldiers, they saluted, and followed him back to the front of the wagon. Hitch and Sunny heard Sir Bastion shout commands.

“Get those beasts strapped to the wagon so we can make it to the Barge before sunset!”

Sunny looked uneasy at Hitch.

“What did you tell that jerk?!”

Hitch flashed Sunny a big smile.

“I said we used to go out together so I could get you to tell me anything if I laid on the Hitch Charm!”

Sunny groaned and facehoofed. Hitch protested.

“Hey! It’s not that farfetched! Y’know, I’ve seen the way you look at me…”

Sunny held up a confused hoof, eyes wide.

“I didn’t even remember who you WERE until like five minutes ago!” She continued, brows flexed downward, “Where the hay did you even disappear to? How are you sheriff when you’re NEVER in town?”

Hitch looked around nervously and twiddled his hooves.

“Well, uhh, you SEE…”

Somepony cleared their throat nearby. It was Nate.

“W-we are leaving now. Sir Bastion will be upset if you tarry, so let’s get a move on.”

And so, the entourage continued once more, its beasts of burden full on wheat and oats, and so too were the soldiers guarding it. The prisoners had been given a mere pittance in comparison. Sunny chatted with Izzy as the village of Halfway became a distant speck behind the entourage.

Sir Bastion looked back at Hitch and the stare alone made a chill run up the sheriff’s spine. Hitch sped up and trotted next to Sunny, interrupting her talk with Izzy.

“L-Listen,” Hitch whispered, “I gotta make this look like I’m working, okay? So, let’s talk.”

Sunny turned from her Unicorn friend. She scanned Hitch up and down with annoyance.

“Fine,” she spat. “Why are you so interested in me?”

The sun was getting quite close to the horizon, the sky becoming an oh-so light shade of orange. Hitch blinked at Sunny, then his mouth transformed into a cocky grin.

“Ohhhhhhh, you’re wondering why the Hitchster has a soft spot for you? Well sweetheart —”
Sunny headbutted Hitch and he tumbled onto the ground. He coughed out a lump of dirt and stood up with a grunt.

“No, you foal!” Sunny grumbled in frustration. “I mean all of this! The thing with the rope, helping me get out of the ballgag situation again — why are you helping me? If you’re a sheriff, you’re on HIS side!”

Hitch snorted and brushed himself off, catching back up with the entourage.

“Because I’m just an upstanding stallion, that’s why!” He smiled a charming crescent and brought a hoof to his chest. “You might even say I’m something of a hero! Like good ol’ Rockhoof!” Hitch tapped the shovel strapped to his side. “I even got the same tool of justice!” Hitch said the last word in a heavy emphasis with a deep voice and pulled out his shovel, twirling it around first with a hoof then placing it in his mouth.

Hitch planned to strike a cool pose and shoot Sunny his prized “Hitch look”, but she had moved on and didn’t even look back.

Hitch caught up in protest.

“Okay, okay! I’m just kidding! S-sort of!”

Sunny sighed and shook her head. Hitch continued.

“Fine!” he leaned in closer to Sunny and spoke quietly, “Once I saw you and that Bastion had taken a personal interest in you — y’know, the ball gag, tethering you to the hitching post?” Sunny groaned and looked down to her still-chained hooves. Hitch continued, “Well, I had to see what it was all about. And then when he got directly involved,” Sunny looked at Hitch and he explained, “I mean, when he tackled me into next week, haha… uhh, well, he never does that.”

Hitch rose an eyebrow.

“What exactly did you do that was so bad?”

Sunny closed her eyes and held her head high.

“All I did was speak my mind, and I’ll be doing it right in front of the Protector of the Realm as well!”

Hitch didn’t look any less confused.

“What the hay’s that supposed to mean?”

A hoof tapping against wood drew Hitch and Sunny’s gazes upward. Izzy waved with an awkward smile.

“Sorry, uhh, hi Mr. Sheriff, sir, uhh,” Izzy asked. She cocked her head. “S-sorry but, what’s ‘the Barge’?”

Hitch blinked for a moment and then his mouth became an “O”.

“Oh! The Barge!”

Izzy smiled.

“Yeah, that meanie hooves Sir Bastion mentioned it. Is that where we’re going?”

Sunny turned to Hitch to listen. The stallion looked straight ahead as he explained.

“That would be the Brimstone Barge. It’s moored at the River Crosswords, and it’ll take us all the way to the Heart of the Realm via Rockhoof’s River.” Hitch looked back and glanced at both mares uneasily. “Listen, it’s no pleasure cruise, so don’t get excited.” He focused on Izzy and his eyebrows rose. “By the way, nice sunhat, cutie.”

Hitch quickly looked away and then back at Izzy, attempting the Hitch look. He wiggled his eyebrows and tightened his lips as if preparing to kiss. Izzy turned her head the other way, confused.

“Uhh, sorry Mr. Sheriff, but are you some kind of weirdo eccentric or something?”

Hitch deflated and whined.

“N-No! It’s the Hitch Look! The mares LOVE the Hitch Look… s-sometimes!”

Sunny ignored her friend and Hitch and stared at the dirt below.

“The Heart of the Realm…” she said quietly, “That’s where Castle Rockhoof is, right?”

Hitch “mhm’d”. Sunny looked up toward the sun and steeled herself.

This Protector of the Realm… I wonder what she’s like?