• Published 18th Feb 2021
  • 2,353 Views, 169 Comments

Fluttershy, Royal Game Warden (?) - JimmySlimmy



"She needs bits? I'll just make her the Game Warden. Not like we're gonna need one of those any time soon!" – Twilight Sparkle, clueless.

  • ...
5
 169
 2,353

For What It's Worth, Her Hat Was Sent Into Orbit.

Fluttershy, her mane pulled back into an uncharacteristically practical ponytail, raised a hoof. “Stop.”

A few hours ago, a command like that would have brought snide comments from at least one of her followers, but the persistent howls of the wolves that had been following the three had dampened what remained of their spirits.

She continued, still looking directly forward into the foliage as she issued orders in a pure-business tone. “Capyboars ahead. There’s about ten. Walk quietly. They aren’t very smart, but they can hear very well and will scatter if they hear hoofsteps. The one in the back is usually the oldest and slowest. That’s the one we’ll be going for.”

The griffon picked idly at one of the new stains on his vest, which had to begun to crust over. “Right, right, yes. Go quietly, shoot the one in the back.”

She turned away from the foliage, facing the griffon directly and shaking her head in disapproval. “Don’t be, um, uh–” She shot her eyes to Rarity, apparently having forgotten the appropriate word.

“Flippant?” Offered Rarity, who was currently occupied with trying to extract a twig from her utterly decimated mane. Unsurprisingly, being flung into foliage at high speed was not particularly nice for one’s appearance, but the imminent threat of death by wolves had put most of her winging on hold.

“–flippant,” agreed Fluttershy, nodding slightly to her friend. “We very well might have to use whatever game we take to delay the wolves behind us, so it is imperative–” she punctuated with a hoof to his chest “–that you hit your target.”

The griffon looked at the trio’s tracks through the undergrowth. None of them had heard anything from the canines in a few minutes, but they were undoubtedly still back there, and even the bravado of the haughtiest of barons withered under the threat of disembowelment. “I thought you said we would outpace any predators so long as we kept moving? Is that not what you said upon our entrance to the forest, warden?”

I did.” Fluttershy retorted, voice dripping in disdain. “Unfortunately, I also seem to remember that someone made us stop for a good twenty minutes after, oh, I don’t know, shooting a manticore.”

The griffon did not respond, merely offering a sharp tut in response before slinking off through the undergrowth towards the aforementioned herd of boars.

Once he had passed through the brush and was, more importantly, out of earshot, Fluttershy let out a breath she had been holding, sucking in a few shallow, panicked sips of air and slumping to the forest floor.

Rarity rushed over to her side, throwing a foreleg over her shoulder in concern. “Oh, my, Fluttershy dear, are you alright? You aren’t injured, are you?”

“No, I’m not injur–” Fluttershy paused, slightly writhing her left wing, “Well, um, actually, yes, there’s a little bone or two broken in the wingtip, now that you mention it, but no, I’m, uh, not seriously injured.” She removed the hat from her head, wiping a particularly grimy line of sweat from her forehead. “I’m just – I can’t keep doing this, Rarity.”

“Doing what exactly, dear? I hope it isn’t leading us through a forest, as I believe we have a good hour or two to go before we get out of this wretched place.”

“No–”

“Not that I’m in any way dissatisfied with your performance, that is!” Rarity hastened to add. “Celestia knows none of the other girls could have even gotten this far. To tell the truth, I’m astonished at how well you’ve done, really, especially when considering how you learned of this, er, royal appointment but this morning.” She rubbed Fluttershy across the shoulders with the hoof. “Still though, I rather hope you don’t mind getting us out this forest. I'd quite like all of my insides to remain on my insides, as it were.”

Fluttershy smiled weakly back at Rarity, replacing the cap back onto her head. The once vibrant green felt had dulled considerably with dirt, rendering it a somewhat sickly olive. “No, I’m still, um, confident in my ability of us to get us out of here.” She rose to her hooves, brushing off a few burs that stuck to her coat. “It’s being in charge I can’t keep doing.”

Rarity frowned slightly. “Really? I can’t say I share your pessimism, dear. I would say that you seem more than sufficiently decisive to me.” She chuckled slightly. “Or to our dear guest’s vest, as it were. Normally I’d protest such as assault against such lovely stitching as on those buttons, but I suppose some things do come before fashion in such circumstances.”

Fluttershy shrugged. “It’s easier when you’re riding high from adrenalin. It’s a lot harder to play the captain when you haven’t, uh, dealt with a manticore recently.”

“Yes, I suppose that would be rather invigorating.” Rarity added. She checked the flash-pan on her rifle, satisfied that the powder was still sufficiently dry. “Regardless, we shouldn’t be on this little expedition much longer, hmm? I’m sure our esteemed guest will take a fine specimen, we’ll either make off with it or leave it as bait, and we’ll all be home in time for a well deserved dinner.”

“Hopefully.” Fluttershy wrenched down a saddlebag’s strap, noting, with some discontent, a rather large gash added by a manticore’s back paw. “I can’t say I’m, uh, particularly impressed by his sharpshooting so far.”

Rarity shrugged. “Surely the first shot was something of a fluke, no? I can’t imagine any sort of griffon noble would be completely incompetent in the art.” She adjusted the feather in Fluttershy’s cap. “Now, when we get back to town, should we start with Twilight’s left arm? Or her right? I can’t remember which one she favors for hoofwriting, although I suppose…”


As it turns out, Rarity was insufficiently imaginative.

“Fizz-CRACK”

The capyboar looked up from the mushroom he had been munching on. Spotting the trio, he calmly trotted away.

The mares turned around, shouting in unison. “You MISSED?”

The griffon adjusted his collar. “Hmph! They are a rather small target, you know. I’d like to see either of you do better.”

“Do better?” Rarity snatched her rifle from his claws, looping it back around her torso. “Not only could I make that shot behind my back with my bad eye, I think I could have run up and punched it at that range!”

“Then it is obviously your–” he gestured dismissively with his claws “–substandard rifle at work.”

Substandard?” Rarity screeched, incredulous. “Your brother made it, you puffed up fleabag!”

“And you obviously must take abhorrent care of it! Look at the filth in the action, or the pitting in the wood!” He ran a claw down a particularly nasty gouge in the comb, either unaware that he was responsible for the defects mentioned or outrageously sadistic.

Rarity stamped in a most inelegant manner. “That DOES IT!” She swung the rifle onto her back, crouching into a lineman’s stance, horn smoking in fury. “If I hear one more quip like that our of you, I’m going to neuter you with your own beak, you inbred, flea ridden slice of poultry!” She nodded slightly, eyes wide and brows twitching outrageously. “Oh yes, when I’m done with you, you’re going to look like the stuffed game hen at one of your barbaric banquets, except instead of stuffing it’s your own craniu–”

AWOOOOO

All three froze, a few last wisps of smoke pouring off Rarity’s horn.

“They caught up,” stated Fluttershy laconically.

The griffon wheeled around to face the source of the howling. “Er, what caught up, exactly?”

“Timberwolves. Sounds like a bunch of them, at least ten.”

“I only heard one, ward–”

Nine more howls joined the first.

“–ah.”

Rarity shoved herself to Fluttershy’s side, cowering behind the immobile pegasus. “Right. Well, since our first plan didn’t quite work, do you have any idea on how to keep us from being, er, eaten?”

Fluttershy shrugged. “Not really. I was really counting on having that capyboar to trade away, but, as it turns out, someone can’t shoot to save his life.” She paused. “Literally, in this instance.”

The griffon’s wings flapped once, lifting himself up into the air before landing behind the mares. “Couldn’t we just fly away? “He nodded at Fluttershy. “Well, you and I at least. I suppose we’d have to leave the unicorn behind.”

Fluttershy, hearing the crack of sparks and fizzle of smoke to her left which eminated from Rarity’s horn, stuck a hoof in the infuriated unicorn’s mouth, preempting the undoubtedly epic stream of profanity which was sure to be about to spew forth. “Any idea that involves leaving somepony behind is obviously not going to happen.” She held out a patchy wing. “And even if I could fly right now, we still wouldn’t make it. They’ll track you in the air, and we’re at least two or three stops from the end of the forest.”

“I see. Hence your attempt to barter; a distraction, I presume?”

“Basically.” She looked at the tree behind the group. “If these were normal wolves, I’d say we could climb a tree until they got bored, but, since they’re timberwolves, they’d just, um, eat it.”

Rarity recoiled in shock. “The tree? They’d eat the tree?”

“Yeah. Where do you think they get all the timber?” Fluttershy looked back towards the wolves, backing up to the trunk behind her. “It’s a fascinating process.”

The griffon had positioned himself behind the tree, peeking out over Fluttershy, who was now pressed against the bark. “Ah, warden, you wouldn’t have happened to have brought that rope I requested for snares, would have you?”

Fluttershy nodded, not taking her eyes from the wolves in front of her. “I did. Check the left saddlebag.”

Rarity looked back at the ambassador, who was now rummaging through the bag. “You’re not suggesting you can somehow dissuade a pack of wolves with a rope, are you?”

The griffon pulled a spool of rope out, palming the knife out of the bag behind it. “Something like that, yes. Could you two keep watching the wolves in the meantime whilst I prepare?”

Rarity turned back around, similarly pushing herself up against the tree. “Do hurry, though, yes? I don’t think those slavering beasts are going to wait much long–” She halted mid-sentence, eyes shooting open at the feeling of four claws grasping the side of her face. Her horn didn’t even have time to light before he slammed the side of her head against the tree, sending her crumpling to the ground, limp.

Fluttershy saw her friend fall like a sack of potatoes. She only understood what had happened when she felt a claw on her wing. “YOU-”

The other claw pulled Fluttershy’s right wing flush against the tree, his wings pulling her against the bark in a hug tight enough to drive the air from her lungs, cutting off her shocked exclamation off before it started. His right claw, now free from Rarity’s face, pulled back around the tree, returning with a knife which he slammed through the primaries of Fluttershy’s wing into the bark, rendering her immobile. “Oh, come now warden, you didn’t expect me to just sit here and let myself get eaten, did you, especially after that wonderful idea about leaving a distraction?He threw a few lines of rope around Fluttershy, pulling them taut into a knot behind the tree. “I suppose that knife might hold you down long enough, but let’s not take any chances, hmm?”

Fluttershy turned her head as best the could to face the griffon. “You complete s-shitbag, when the Princesses find out you murdered two of the Bearers–”

He cut her off with a claw around her muzzle. “Find out what? I don’t know what kind of petty noble a ‘bearer’ is, exactly, but, frankly, it doesn’t matter. I’m going to fly back to your wretched little hovel, raise a big stink about how you two were killed in some sort of unfortunate accident, then guide the searchers here to find exactly what I said they will; what’s left of two ponies after a pack of wolves have their way. A few feathers, probably. Then I’ll get on a boat back and leave this miserable country”

He released Fluttershy’s face, picking up Rarity’s limp form off the dirt and, after removing the rifle from her back and throwing it behind the tree, leaned her against the trunk, tying her in with the rest of the rope and pushing her horn through the felt hat to interfere with her magic.

Fluttershy watched the ambassador manhandle her friend in disgust. Were her mouth not dry in well-concealed terror, she would have already spit in his eye. “Let me guess, you’re going to fly up there and watch us get eaten?”

“What? No!” The griffon scoffed. “Don’t be macabre. I’m not some sort of sadist, you know.” He spread his wings and took flight, hovering a few feet off the ground. “It’s really nothing personal, ponies. Just practical.”

Fluttershy watched as he turned around and leisurely climbed towards a passing cloud. “Uh-huh. Nothing personal against two ponies of this ‘miserable land?’”

The griffon paused, turning around. “Well, I suppose there is a sort of ulterior motive at work here, if you really must know. I can’t deny there is a sort of pleasure to this.” He yawned, raising a claw to his beak in a polite gesture. “Still! I don’t plan on staying to watch or anything quite of that sort. I would recommend sticking out your neck first, for what it’s worth. Rather they start there than the other end, I would think.” He gave his wings a few good flaps and soared into the air, passing behind a cloud and out of view.

Fluttershy rolled her eyes, muttering to herself. “Sure, it’s just business.” She surreptitiously gave Rarity’s limp form a few kicks. “Rarity!”

Rarity grumbled a little bit.

Fluttershy repeated the kick, this time adding in a tickle of Rarity’s ear with a wingtip she wiggled out of the bindings.

That did the trick. Rarity roused from her impact-derived slumber, eyes spinning a few times before settling on Fluttershy’s now impaled wing. “Urgh. Goddess, I feel like I got bucked in the jaw. Feeling an uncomfortable wetness on her cheek, she tried to wipe it with a foreleg, only to look down and find herself restrained. “Er, Fluttershy, why are we–”

Fluttershy preempted her questions. “He knocked you out by whacking your face against the tree, pinned me to it with my knife, and tied us up to use us as bait.”

Rarity paused in thought, then gave the ropes another tug. “Ah. That does seem rather on-brand, as it were, although I must say I didn’t exactly foresee things going quite this badly. Where has he gotten to anyway?”

Fluttershy gestured with a nod. “Flew up. Presumably, he headed west, back towards our ‘miserable little hovel.’” She paused, noticing Rarity’s puzzled face. “His words, not mine.”

“Right.” Rarity wiggled in her bindings until she could turn her head enough to see Fluttershy. “Oh, my! He really did go through your wings!”

“Yes. Just the feathers, at least. There’s a lot of, um, little bones out there.”

“That’s a relief, I suppose.” Rarity grimaced. “Still, it’s a terrible day to be your wings, no?”

Fluttershy gave it a few tugs, wincing on a final, harder pull. “I guess so, yeah.” She frowned, understandably frustrated. “Ugh! He could have at least, uh, stuck the same one the manticore got. I’m already going to have to carry that one in a sling anyway.”

“I suppose that would have simplified restorative care, no?”

“A little, yeah.”

“Well, at least you’ll be symmetrical. Nothing worse than one-sided baldness.”

“If you say so.” Fluttershy could think of a couple worse things, including being tied to a tree and offered up as bait.

Rarity shook her head. “Well, regardless, let me pull that out for you–oh, right.” She glanced at her roped-in foreleg. “Still tied up. Silly me.”

Fluttershy gave a soft smile. “It was a nice thought. I guess we do have bigger problems anyways.” She gestured towards the rapidly encroaching timberwolves with her head. A few had begun drooling, a thick greenish sap pouring from their open mouths.

Rarity wiggled a little more. “I don’t suppose you could try talking to them?”

“Oh, no.” Fluttershy shook her head as best she could, which, considering the circumstances, was really just rubbing her face against the bark.“That wouldn’t work, Rarity.”

“Oh? Why not? We haven’t even, y’know–” she twirled a hoof, which, as it was currently strapped to a tree, was really more of a wrist twirl “–shot any of them.”

“That’s true, but they’re not going to listen anyway. They’re the, uh, worst.”

“Oh?" Rarity questioned. She rubbed her face against the bark of the tree, noting, with no small displeasure, the red smear left on the bark. “Explains the wetness,” she muttered, shivering.

Fluttershy continued. “We’re, uh, that is, veterinarians, aren’t even really sure they need to eat meat since they’re made of wood. They might just eat ponies because they’re, uh, assholes.”

Rarity shuddered. “Ugh! How distasteful. One wonders why the Creator made them in the first place.” She look up, perturbed. “Would you mind pulling this hat off my horn? The friction on my horn is really quite uncomfortable, and, rather more importantly, if I am to be eaten I would prefer not to look silly whilst doing it.”

“Oh! Sure.” Fluttershy leaned over the best she could, reaching just far enough to be able to pull off the hat with her teeth and replacing it a little farther back. “That did look a little uncomfortable.”

Mmm. Much better.” She gave her horn a cursory light, pulling her slightly ragged mane out of her eyes. “Trust me dear, you don’t know what it’s like for a unicorn, even a fairly unimpressive one like myself, to have her magic constrained.”

Fluttershy looked at the knife stuck through the primaries on her left wing. “Yeah. I bet.”

“Well, I suppose there’s nothing to do except curse the perfidy of our honored guest and wait for the inevitable, yes? While my horn may be free, I am no battle-mage a la Her Highness Princess Stimulants.” She guffawed, cackling at her own joke. “Oh! Who would have known I had a knack for gallows humor? A shame I couldn’t have that one added to the obituary.”

“Yes, what a shame.” Fluttershy eyed the wolves, who, judging by the pile of writhing wood and barks, seemed to be fighting over the right to take the first bite. “Really, Rarity, you seem to be taking this quite well, all things considered.”

“I know!” Rarity agreed. “Honestly, if you had asked me how I would take being tied up and left for a pack of wolves yesterday I would have said something along the lines of ‘screaming as I pissed myself,’ but look at me! No screaming, bladder totally in control. Remarkable!”

“Uh-huh.” Fluttershy looked back at Rarity, whose left eye still hadn’t quite aligned itself with the other. “Are you, um, experiencing dizziness? Nausea, maybe?”

“Well, now that you mention it, I suppose I am.” She shook her head a few times, eyes coming a little closer to alignment. “And my eye does keep wandering. I wonder if this is how that poor mailmare feels?”

“Right. Rarity, I think you’re probably experiencing a, uh, fairly serious concussion.”

“Ah.” Rarity paused. “That would make sense, considering, the, er, rapid application of tree to face.” She wiggled a little against the bindings. “It’s not my first. I must warn you that if it’s like the last one I’ll start vomiting in a most unseemly manner about twenty minutes or so, so long as I haven’t been eaten yet, that is.”

“I’ll make sure to hold your mane back. Wouldn’t want it getting any messier.” Fluttershy sniffed once, then gestured towards a boulder to their right. “Do you think you could pick up that boulder and chuck it at them? I don’t think it would dissuade them for long, but I guess it’s worth a shot, at least.”

Rarity chuckled. “Oh, no, dear, there’s no way. After dragging that branch, I think my horn would catch fire if I tried to pick up something that heavy right now.”

“Really? Fire?” Fluttershy eyed Rarity’s horn, which was already a little bit sooty. “I don’t think I’ve ever met any other unicorn who has that, um, much difficulty with burnout. Is that why it smokes when you get mad?”

“Very perceptive, Fluttershy, and yes. Twilight once told me it had something to do with ‘a latent talent for pyromancy,’ although I can’t say I’ve ever been able to as much as light a candle.”

“But it’s never, uh, burst into flame or anything like that? No visible fire?” Fluttershy was beginning to get an idea.

Rarity blushed slightly. “Well, I suppose I did produce a few spurts once when a customer was being particularly unreasonable. Quite a chore to explain to the constable that I hadn’t actually intended to set her hat on fire.” Rarity shook her head, smirking in the obviously pleasant memory of that particular incident.Outside of that, though, I have managed to keep it under control.”

“Uh-huh.” Fluttershy paused, observing the wolves. The largest one had managed to whip a few of them into submission, each one rolling onto their backs in a show of fealty. “You know, Rarity, I have to say again that I really still can’t believe how well you’re taking this.”

“Oh, it’s obvious,” Rarity scoffed. “Even without the apparent brain injury, I can’t help but think there’s a certain acceptance that comes with a situation so dire as this.”

“Perhaps.” Fluttershy eyed the knife still stuck in her wing. “Would you mind, um, pulling out this out of my wing?” She shimmied her affected appendage for emphasis. “It’s very uncomfortable, you know.”

“Oh, sure.” Rarity’s horn lit, her field yanking the knife out of the trunk and into Fluttershy’s hoof. “As you were saying?”

“Right.” Fluttershy began sawing at the rope with the knife, the nonserrated edge making it a slow job. “Well, I was just thinking about what a missed opportunity our funerals will be.”

Hmm?”

“Well, it’s just, um, I know you worked so hard on that dress when we started getting sent out on missions, you know? I don’t think I’d seen you lock yourself up in that workshop for that long ever before or, uh, since.”

Rarity froze. “Er, which dress, exactly?”

“Oh, don’t be shy Rarity.” Fluttershy noticed, with no small glee, that Rarity’s horn had indeed begun steaming. “That lovely funeral dress? The long black velvet one, with that gorgeous collar? Frankly, I never could tell if it was for wearing to a funeral or, um, being the funeral, but I think it’s a real shame that nopony will ever get to wear it.”

Rarity had begun to stamp slightly with a hind hoof, thin wisps of steam now taking on a firmly black nature. “Er, yes, I suppose that is rather unfortunate, but–”

Fluttershy continued, all the while sawing at the rope. “And what a shame you’ll never get to design a dress for one of us! To think, poor little me, Fluttershy, the delicate butterfly of the Bearers, lain in state, Equestria's hero. What a, uh, spectacular dress that would require, and it would obviously be you designing it. Who else but one of her friends to clothe her one more time?”

Wisps had become a solid cloud, and Fluttershy could feel no small amount of heat radiating off Rarity’s now softly glowing horn.

“Oh, and what about poor Sweetie Belle? No big sis to make her first prom dress? Ball dress? Wedding dress? She’ll just have to go to those, uh–” Fluttershy paused, trying to remember details from one of Rarity’s sauna-room rants. “–substandard tailors at a, uh, Canterlot department store.” She eyed the wolves, who had stopped fighting and were now closing in, led, unsurprisingly, by the largest among them. She quickened her pace with the knife, each stroke now pulling away a few strands of rope.

“–well, now that you mention it, I am–”

“Who would have expected this anyway? I always thought we’d be killed saving Equestria. We’ve come up against so much, you know? Discord, bless his heart, the Empire, Changelings? All much more, um, dangerous than a griffon. But no! We were, uh, done in by treachery.”

“–oh, dear, Fluttershy, I’m – I’m not sure I feel so well–” Rarity was now producing solid clouds of smoke, sending off popping sparks like a campfire. One landed a few paces in front of one of the wolves, who looked at the magical ember with no small alarm.

Fluttershy knew she was close. “But the worst part? It was my job to be here. You just got caught up in this because of a loophole. Just a little–”

Rarity’s writhed against the ropes a few times, horn sparking and fizzing.

“–dumb–”

A tiny flame, no bigger than a candle, had sprouted from the tip of Rarity’s horn.

“–treaty.”

FUCK!” A spout of blue flame exploded from Rarity’s horn, showering the branches of the pine tree the two were strapped to in fire, the needles combusting instantly. “I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M GOING TO DIE OUT HERE BECAUSE OF SOME STUPID TREATY BY OUR INSUFFERABLE, INCOMPETENT PRINCESSES AND–” she dipped her head down, instantly immolating one of the closer wolves and scattering the rest. “ –AND SWEETIE BELLE IS GOING TO GO TO PROM IN A RENTED DRESS AND – AND – AND JUST FFFFUCK! FUCK! FUUUUCK! –”

Fluttershy, who had just managed to cut the rope before Rarity quite literally exploded in anger, rolled away from the tree and unicorn. “Rarity! Rarity! Calm down, it’s, fine! It’s over!”

AND, and, oh, shit, I – I think, I, oh Celestia I’m – ” Rarity plummeted to the ground, falling completely spread-eagle into the dirt in front of the now vigorously burning tree.

“Oh, no, I’m, uh –” Fluttershy rushed over to the now nearly-comatose form of Rarity, both to ensure she was still breathing and to pat out a few smoldering spots in her mane, which she noted was now missing the front two-thirds. “–ohmygosh, Rarity, are you okay?”

Rarity made a few noncommittal gutterances.

Fluttershy ripped open her saddlebags, pulling out a small canteen and a bandage. “Here, hold still, I’ll pour some water on it to cool you down.”

Rarity stirred a little, pulling a forehoof under her in an attempt to stand. “No, I’ll be–” she slumped back to the ground. “–no, never mind, that’s not going to work.”

“just stay down, Rarity. You’ve already done enough, okay?” She poured what was left of her canteen across Rarity’s head, noting not only the sheer quantity of soot in the off-grey runoff, but also that her horn stayed resolutely black, a sure sign of serious burnout. She then pulled the bandage taut across the gnarly gash in Rarity’s face, which had bled profusely since her initial attack. “If I have to, I’ll carry you out of here. I promise. Nopony gets left behind.”

Rarity rolled over onto her back, chest still heaving in labored breaths but gradually slowing. “I can assure you that you almost certainty will.” She gestured to the tree. “Would you happen to know where my rifle has ended up? I hope it wasn’t up in the branches.”

Fluttershy shook her head. “It got tossed behind the trunk.” She trotted off towards the back of the tree, pausing to dodge a falling and very much burning branch before returning with the rifle’s sling held in her teeth.

“Wonderful, Fluttershy, absolutely wonderful. Would you mind handing it over?”

Complying, Fluttershy dropped the rifle on to Rarity’s chest.

“Thank you dear.” Rarity slid open the patchbox, finding one singular remaining cartridge. Satisfied, she closed the patchbox back up. “I think I’d like that carry, if you don’t mind.”

With a weak smile, Fluttershy positioned herself in front of the supine unicorn, squatting to the ground. “Need some, um, help?”

Rarity rolled over into a sitting position, throwing her rifle on to her back before clambering on to Fluttershy’s back, “No, I, – urg – should manage.”

Fluttershy grunted under the weight of the admittedly pudgy unicorn. “Let me know if you need off, okay?” With a final look back at the smouldering remains of a few timberwolves, she stepped off towards the west and home.

Author's Note:

Phew! That took a while. This chapter went through a couple of rewrites, including one where our dynamic duo, facing a similar situation, try, and fail, to off themselves. It was pretty funny, but it was a little too much of a shark-jump even for my room-temperature IQ.

Guess who figured out what a "horizontal rule" was? The rest of the story has been made to fit the correct style.