• Published 12th Feb 2021
  • 4,642 Views, 56 Comments

Spring's New Bloom - Sonnet



I'm stuck in Equestria, and I'm my least favorite member of the CMC - Apple Bloom.

  • ...
7
 56
 4,642

Dusty Tomes

Twilight helped me out from underneath the colossal cascade of books that had fallen on me. She levitated them off me, as I pushed some others out of the way. There was definitely more than I was expecting there to be. I did notice however, a particular lack of an aching sensation. The books striking my head had not triggered another headache for once. So hopefully that meant that my constantly cropping up cranial injury was finally going away.

“Sorry Apple Bloom, you know how excited I get whenever anypony demonstrates an interest in studying! I’m just so excited! Even if this is a more theoretical realm of study, it’s still a great thing to want to learn! Well, I say theoretical despite uh-Well, let’s just say that it’s more than just theory!” She says with a little chuckle.

“Well yeah, ah get that Twilight. But ah’m a little confused, what makes you say that this stuff is more than just a theory?” I asked, tilting my head. Hopefully, I could bait her into telling me about her own studies into other dimensions. I was sure that a pony like Twilight would be interested in that sort of thing, especially considering that she had gone to another one herself. Admittedly her situation had been very different than mine, but still. It was the thought that counted.

Ugh, it made me sick to be manipulating ponies like this, especially Twilight. She’d been one of my favorites. Admittedly I wouldn’t have minded as much being displaced into Twilight. Wait, yes I would. That would’ve been even worse, Twilight has much more pressure on her than Apple Bloom does, and I’d have to learn how to deal with wings and a horn, although magic and flight would be really neat. Wait, this whole displacement thing was weird. If I was truly in Equestria, what had happened to the consciousness of the Apple Bloom that had been here before me? Had she been knocked out of her own body? Had she been placed into mine? That was...Oh good God. I didn’t want to think about that, I had to focus. Hopefully, if she HAD been put into mine, I’d figure out how to switch us back soon. I couldn’t doom Apple Bloom to my broken form. So...Yeah, if I had to go back to my own destroyed body to save a sweet filly like Apple Bloom, I definitely would do so.

“Anyway, let me just organize this for you…” She says, arraying the nine books in total into neat rows. They were all very thick and rather musty, and-”Ooh, this one’s Deeply Hidden by Swept Marell...Her work is seen as somewhat radical these days, but I like it...Ah, and here’s one by Neighlem Hay! He’s one of the first to ever come up with the idea, and he wrote on it even before the reign of the princesses Celestia and Luna!” My eyes bulged at the size of the dusty tome, it was thicker than my hoof and I could practically smell the age of the book. It was titled On Thay Forme Bye Yer Wird. Twilight opened the book and I looked inside it, and...I could read maybe one out of every five words

“Twilight, ah...Ah can’t read this” I said sheepishly, blinking a few times.

“What do you mean Apple Bloom? It’s just fairly simple…” she looked at it, squinting. “Oh! It’s in Old Equestrian...Right, that wasn’t spoken since before the reign of the Princesses...Haha, um...Let me see if I can find a modern translation for you, I can barely read this one myself” she said, and began humming as she pulled a few more books from the shelves…”Aha! Here we are. This one is a more modern translation” She said, placing a book that was almost as thick as the original in front of me, and this one was titlted On the Idea of Other Worlds. Well, that was definitely easier to comprehend, thank God.

"So Apple Bloom, what got you interested in this idea in the first place?" Twilight asked me, and I blinked a few times, having a few moments of inner turmoil on what to say, before my mind snapped to a good idea

"Oh! Well ya see Twilight, ah had a really weird dream last night about a different world! It was so interestin', I found myself wanting to try and figure out all I could.

"Well alright then Apple Bloom! If that's the case, then this one" she tapped her hoof on the large book written by an author who had supposedly died thousands of years ago "is definitely the place to start. It might be a little advanced for your age, but I'm here to help with any confusion you might have on certain words. Also please be careful, even this modern translation is really old, so the book is somewhat delicate"

I opened the book, and instantly squinted. The pages looked to be made of...what was this material? Parchment? Yeah, this book was definitely old. I sneezed as I accidentally inhaled a nose full of dust...Let’s see, there was a foreword by the pony who had done the translation, which I skipped...and then there was the actual meat of the book. I managed to read almost an entire paragraph before I felt my eyes drooping, and let out a yawn. Oh wow. I had never read a book as boring as this one before. I honestly could not believe how dull and monotonous this author was. Neighlem Hay, whoever that pony was, took the idea of travel between different worlds and somehow managed to suck every single drop of excitement out of it.

It was a grueling read, and I found myself constantly having to ask Twilight for help with some of the words (Admittedly, she was eager to help. Still, I gave up after about forty pages or so, and rubbed my eyes. Twilight was busy organizing some books herself, and I rubbed my temples with a groan. “Twilight, why’s this book so darn...well, difficult! Why’d this here author have to make it so….borin’!” I asked, tapping the book with a hoof. I almost giggled at a joke that popped up within my mind, though frankly it was too stupid to even give a second thought…

“Really Apple Bloom, I’m sure it’s not that bad, I mean I bet this book is really...Exciting…” she said, squinting at the words on the page as she read along. I folded my hooves across my chest as I sat back on my haunches. She blinked a few times, and finally shook her head. “I, uh. Wow. I’m not sure I’ve ever read a book this…” she coughed, and muttered something that sounded like ‘stodgy’ “Before. It definitely doesn’t seem like your kind of book, I’m surprised you didn’t need any more help than you did with some of this language, this is a very advanced read! You must be pretty smart for your age Apple Bloom…Unless you didn’t ask a question every time you didn’t know something,” She said, and looked at me awkwardly. I had another inner dilemma here for a moment. Did I lie and act like I was, well, dumber than I actually was? It might be what Twilight expected out of Apple Bloom, but I really didn’t want to do that. Fuck it, I thought, and decided that I would be honest.

“Oh no Twilight, I’m pretty good with words, at least in books. Some a this stuff is just a bit too crazy though.” I said, gesturing at some of the words that were overtly pompous in tone and diction. I was looking at loquaciousness in particular. Why on Earth would you ever use that word, ridiculous.

“Well I’m glad to hear that Apple Bloom! Always makes me happy to see young fillies such as yourself embracing knowledge! And I’d also like to say that-” There was a resounding crash from somewhere outside the treehouse, and both Twilight and I jumped. My heart pounded in my chest once more, and I was abnormally aware of my own heartbeat. My heart seemed to be stuttering for a moment, as though it were skipping a few beats. Oh holy crap, that must’ve startled me more than I realized. I was a nervous wreck, barely being held together by my knowledge of this character from a television show, and my own (admittedly subpar) acting skills. Thankfully certain mannerisms came easily to me, mannerisms I had never expected to find myself being thankful for. A certain cyan colored pegasus with a rainbow mane burst through the window of the library.

“Twilight! We kinda have a big problem, one that definitely needs your help!” Rainbow said, and pointed outside “Like…right now!” She said, waving her forehooves in the air for expression as she sat half in and half out of the library.

Twilight’s eyes widened, and she nodded “Er, right! Coming! Apple Bloom, why don’t you go ahead and take that book with you, just be careful with it! You can come back later and I’ll help you!” Twilight then proceeded to move at a brisk trot out of the library, and Rainbow vacated the premises much quicker, and I was left all by myself once more, and I looked down with a grimace at the book I was left with. Well, this was just great.

I left outside, seeing Twilight and Rainbow flying off into the distance. I shook my head, wondering what on Earth...Or rather what on Equestria the problem was this time. I held the book in my mouth as I began to look for a nice and quiet spot to read. I eventually found an open patio behind what looked to be a furniture store, and sat down at a bench, opening the book and flipping a few pages ahead, blowing some dust off. I began to read…

The purview of the concept of differing parallel planes of existence in regard to our own is an idea that has previously not been given much thought. I find it quite odd, personally speaking, that few before me have given thoughts to this fanciful and enthralling postulation. In fact, looking back upon the works of great Equestrian classicists, I have not found one solitary philosopher or mage before me that has entertained this notion. Therefore, it falls to me to break new ground, which is admittedly a field that I am not familiar with, due to my lineage as a Unicorn rather than that of an Earth Pony. I will perform this task to the very best of my ability, and…

Okay I get it, you’re an author that’s full of themselves. How many pages did this guy go on for? I checked. The entire chapter was nothing but him blustering on about how he was a genius for being the first to come up with this idea, or at least the first to put quill to parchment. I skipped right over to the next chapter, and flipped a few pages in…

When one is conceptualizing this proposition, one must consider the following. All things happen for a reason, all things must partake in a balance, legendary being of chaos Discord notwithstanding. And to speak on Discord, and invite great risk in doing so, for there are tales that speak of the lord of chaos being able to hear whenever he is being mentioned, though this author believes those tales to be false, one of the many legends of Discord state that he inhabits a realm that makes no sense. A warped fabric of ether that does not conform to any natural state of being, a weeping avulsion in the normal order of things. Despite this flagrant disregard for mundane law, that would make such a place the prime candidate for exploration within the inquiry of-

I was suddenly jerked from my reading by high pitched snickering and chortling. I looked up, and saw a pair of Earth Pony fillies. One was pink, wearing a tiara, that looked almost exactly like her cutie mark. The other was grey, with a mane and tail that were lighter grey colored, and she was wearing pearls and a pair of glasses. Both of them had a sneering, malicious grin on their faces.

Oh for fuck’s sake.

Author's Note:

This one took a good bit longer to write, I've been in a slump for a while, and I can't promise that more (and maybe longer) waiting times for new chapters won't occur. Anyone who cares to read this does have my word, however that I will try for at least one or two chapters a month, even during my worst cases of writer's block.

Comments ( 28 )

Which will DT make fun of first? Her blank flank, her reading an obviously advanced book, or her black eye?

I wonder if Twi will catch on, and if/when she does, what she'll do with the information. It shal be very interesting...

Neighlem Hay, whoever that pony was, took the idea of travel between different worlds and somehow managed to suck every single drop of excitement out of it.

Well, that would explain the reason why it was left in the dust in the first place.

I was suddenly jerked from my reading by high pitched snickering and chortling. I looked up, and saw a pair of Earth Pony fillies. One was pink, wearing a tiara, that looked almost exactly like her cutie mark. The other was grey, with a mane and tail that were lighter grey colored, and she was wearing pearls and a pair of glasses. Both of them had a sneering, malicious grin on their faces.

Bro, "Apple Bloom" is about to pop the fuck off on these bitches.

10711279
Ready the...

APPLE (verbal) BEATDOWN.

you know what will be hilarious? She straight up walk up to DT and flirt with her , saying "Ya know. Maybe you really like me? Why else would ya single me out all these times? Hmm.. Well you are cute. So maybe?'

fight back bullies with flirting heh.

Therefore, it falls to me to break new ground, which is admittedly a field that I am not familiar with, due to my lineage as a Unicorn rather than that of an Earth Pony.

Ha :ajbemused:

Comment posted by horses are fuckin weird deleted Apr 4th, 2021

very good story so far keep up the good work :)

i wonder how (he) will roast the two brat's :pinkiecrazy:

I'm willing to bet money that Diamond isn't gonna get far mocking someone who probably doesn't care about a personal insult when it's not their personal history it's playing on

For some odd reason, I immediately read the sections of the book in an Australian accent. Nothing else odd about this chapter, but glad I was able to find it.

10779229

My compass always points to sweetie belle.

“Sorry Apple Bloom, you know how excited I get whenever anypony demonstrates an interest in studying! I’m just so excited! Even if this is a more theoretical realm of study, it’s still a great thing to want to learn! Well, I say theoretical despite uh-Well, let’s just say that it’s more than just theory!” She says with a little chuckle.

A book theory! Thanks for reading. :derpytongue2:

Oh for fuck’s sake.

My sentiments exactly.

I look forward to the next chapter. Keep it up

10734857
OH!! It took you pulling that part out specifically for me to get it! I was like "This is your first serious theory and you're praising yourself so highly?"

I'm liking this story so far. The characterization on everyone is pretty good, I'm looking forward to more.

Comment posted by Redwolf777sg deleted Aug 18th, 2021

Hmm... I'm not too sure about this story. I'm not feeling it I'm afraid.:applejackunsure:

10952028
I tried using one of the walker-ish implements and still couldn't get farbefore slipping.

Esto se pone bueno

10770002
I can just see "Apple Bloom" standing there staring at Diamond with a blank expression while not saying anything.

"..."

"WHY AREN'T YOU GETTING ANGRY AT ME?"

Good stuff so far yo!

11040788
10770002
As i said in my earlier comment, 'Bloom' should mess with DT by the power of 'flirt'. Just straight up walk over to DT and out of shock of everypony , smooch her cheek and walk away winking. It'll confuses the heck out of her.

Our protagonist has many ways to troll DT. Ignoring her, making dumb reaction images, saying”damn, that’s crazy” to every insult, or straight up kissing her

I can only pray this gets an update

This was a very fun story. I do hope the author will give it more attention.

When is the next update?

Login or register to comment