• Published 12th Feb 2021
  • 4,660 Views, 56 Comments

Spring's New Bloom - Sonnet



I'm stuck in Equestria, and I'm my least favorite member of the CMC - Apple Bloom.

  • ...
7
 56
 4,660

A Heart, Frozen

I whirled around suddenly, shocked at the sudden shout. I almost jumped out of my skin...fur? At those high pitched squeals. Fuck fuck fuck, yep. There they were, sprinting towards me. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, my...er, Apple Bloom’s best friends and of course, the other two members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Well it seemed like I was not going to have time to sit and sulk, because I was about to be...Wait Sweetie Belle was coming in too fast


“Sweetie Belle wai-!”

I was once again interrupted in my speech, and crashed into by an overly excited Sweetie Belle, being knocked down onto the frozen river on my back, Sweetie on top of me.


“Ow...Sorry Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle said, untangling herself and standing up. Scootaloo had thankfully managed to avoid crashing into the both of us, She’d skidded on the icy ground but had beat her wings, managing to counteract her movement just enough not to add to the pile. She may be called a chicken, but her wings definitely weren’t useless, at least in this scenario. I groaned, and once more tried to rise to my hooves, squeaking as I slipped and slid on the ice, before flopping onto my stomach. The ice was cold, and I mean COLD against my stomach. It felt like...Well it felt like pressing ice against your bare stomach is what it felt like. I shivered, my teeth chattering, as I took a deep breath and once more sloooowly rose to my hooves. Ah fuck, okay how should I react? What should I say, what should I-

“Hey Apple Bloom, what were you doing staring at all this ice anyway?” Scootaloo asked.

I responded by saying “Oh! Uh! Ah was just, um”

“Were you trying to get your cutie mark for ice skating? That’s a great idea! Why didn’t you tell us about it first?!” Piped Sweetie Belle.

Oh good God my headache was coming back again. Sweetie Belle’s voice in particular was not helping things, and I rubbed my temples with a hoof carefully.

Sweetie Belle took a closer look at the side of my head and squeaked once more “Youch! That’s a nasty bruise! I didn’t poke you with my horn did I?”

I had been busy trying to come up with a response to the question about ice skating, and she had already switched topics. Damn these girls were ADHD. “Oh! Uh! Nah, ya didn’t. Ah were just helpin’ Applejack out and ah got hit by the cart”

Scootaloo peered closer at the side of my head, bumping up in front of Sweetie, and whistled, her wings fluttering. “Woah! That’s a pretty gnarly bruise. That must’ve hurt!” She said, acting the part of Captain Obvious. Although now I began to get worried. It was irrational, but they might start to ask why I was being so slow with my responses. Was Apple Bloom the slow one of the CMC? I couldn’t exactly remember, I thought they were all pretty similar. I shook my head, and proclaimed


“Yeah! It did hurt when it happened, but Ah’m fine now! Anyway, Ice skatin’? I actually hadn’t even thought uh that!” Wait, if I hadn’t been trying to ice skate, what was I doing here then? Oh God my friends-yes, they were my friends, I was Apple Bloom currently and they were Apple Bloom’s friends therefore they were currently my friends-Would think I was weird, just sitting here staring at ice! “Ah was tryin’ ta think of things to do to earn mah cutie mark!” I quickly managed to spit out. “Ice skatin’ sounds like a darn good idea ta me too!”

Wait, why’d I say that? It had just come out naturally! Maybe I was getting into this whole ‘Acting like Apple Bloom’ thing a bit too much. I mean, yeah this might be fun to do, but it was a distraction from my goal of finding some way to wake myself up from this very pretty nightmare I was stuck in. Besides, I already knew that I...Apple Bloom, was a very clumsy filly. Trying to go ice skating, or earn a cutie mark in that seemed like it would only result in more pain and embarrassment. Still though, a break from all this worrying would be pretty nice..Maybe if I indulged a bit, I could relax and think about things differently; find a new way to work through this scenario I’d found myself dropped into.

“Well, what’re we waiting for then? Let’s go see Pinkie Pie! She’s got like...eight pairs of skates for some reason!” Scootaloo said, jumping and fluttering her wings in excitement.

“Wait, why does Pinkie have eight pairs uh skates?” I asked in complete confusion, pretty much already knowing the answer before the other two gave it to me


“She’s Pinkie Pie!” Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo said in unison.

“Yeah, ah shoulda seen that comin’’ I said, shaking my head. I shook myself, flinging off some of the icy water that had melted into my coat, and asked “Now how’re we s’posed to find Pinkie at this time uh day…”

It was then that for the second time that day I was almost shocked into yet another afterlife by someone appearing right behind me.

“SURPRISE!” A very loud, obnoxiously pink pony shouted from behind me. I squealed and jumped into the air, spinning around and flopping onto my stomach once more. Sure enough, there she was, right before us. Holy crap that was scary! It seemed like Pinkie’s reality defying powers weren’t just limited to the show, how had she gotten here so fast?

“Hey girls, how are you doing? Well I imagine you’re doing pretty good since you were talking about me! You might be wondering how I heard you talking about me! Well you see I was just bouncing around Ponyville when I decided to check on the river since it is part of my normal duties as part of Winter Wrap Up and seeing as how that’s three weeks away and all I thought that I should go ahead and check the river and think about how much fun it would be to break up the ice here in a few weeks and I thought-”Pinkie took a moment to take a deep breath “I thought that maybe I could get a few ice cubes because Gummy is teething right now and he likes to chew on ice cubes to help with his sore gums and I heard somepony mention my name and so I looked around and I saw you girls and I was like ‘Oh my gosh what if those fillies fall into the water!’ But then I remembered that the river is frozen right now and if I can walk on it that probably means that you girls wouldn’t fall into it and I heard you talking about me and asking about my skates, so I rushed back to Sugarcube Corner to get the skates and I ran all the way back and I said SURPRISE! And now I’m here and I got the skates!”

All three of us shared a similar expression of shock, as Pinkie Pie waggled her tail, and sure enough, three sets of skates were hanging off it, twelve skates in total. Jeez, Pinkie’s tail was strong. She whirled around and held them off, and as Scootaloo helped me to my feet, we each grabbed a set off her tail. I wasn’t used to holding things in my mouth, and was surprised at how easy the act was. I guess ponies were...evolved to hold things in their mouths easily, or something. The taste wasn’t as bad as I was thinking honestly, seeing as I was holding these skates by the strings tying them together.

“Uh, th...thanks Pinkie!” I chirped up, and rubbed the back of my neck, as I dropped the skates into the snow.

“Yeah, thanks Pinkie Pie!” Sweetie Belle said, clapping her hooves together and beaming. D’aww, that smile could melt even the coldest heart. Pinkie Pie nodded, and suddenly let out a gasp.

“WAIT! What was I doing? Oh right! I need to get ice cubes for Gummy! See you girls later!” She said, and disappeared in a puff of pink smoke.

“Well, that was awfully nice uh her!” I said, now I was the one being Captain Obvious

“Well yeah, you know Pinkie Pie. She’s the element of laughter and stuff, she does her best to make ponies happy”

Oh right. I needed to get a grip, and get better at playing my role. This was not looking good for me, I needed to focus. Okay, just put one hoof into the skate, and then….wait a damn minute how did you tie a shoe with no hands? I snuck a glance over at Sweetie Belle, and she was using one hoof to manipulate the string while she held another in her mouth...That was...surprisingly simple, huh. Okay. I copied her movements, and soon enough I had one on! I simply had to repeat those actions three more times, and I had on four ice skates! Nice!

It was then that I looked out at the icy river, and gulped. I looked back at the other two fillies, and gulped again.

“Well...H...here goes!” I said, and took a careful step onto the ice.

Author's Note:

Well here's the second chapter. I'm glad people liked the first! Also, this is now officially the largest piece of fiction I've ever written, wooo