• Published 5th May 2021
  • 960 Views, 46 Comments

Block by Block - ruthim345



Discord has returned. And Steve is the only one who can stop him.

  • ...
3
 46
 960

Part 2

Author's Note:

Cough, cough

So, uh, yeah. Sorry for being late and not really responding to your comments (Very sorry Jeffery1000)

This took way too damn long. And there's still a third part coming. I will get that one done in a timely fashion, I swear to you all.

All rights to the song "Our Town" by Iris Dement, which heavily inspired the song sung in this chapter, go to their respective people. Great song, recommend it.

His body cried out in pain. Something was laying on top of him.

‘Why...can’t I move?’ Steve thought numbly as consciousness slowly returned to him. He dragged an arm beneath him and tried to push up, but his body met heavy resistance.

He slowly opened his eyes and twisted his head around to see a large piece of rubble was laying on top of his lower body, crushing it to the floor. He coughed, blood leaking out of his mouth. Glancing over, he saw the still form of Abyss laying no more than a foot from himself. She too was buried in rubble, covering a majority of her body, so that only her right arm and head were visible.

‘Abyss?’ He thought, mind still coming back online. He shook his head, trying to force his way past the grogginess that afflicted him.

“Abyss?” He croaked, reaching out a hand to touch her face. Her scales were cool to the touch, cut and damaged by the rubble he hadn’t managed to block.

“Aby- *cough, cough*!” He choked on the dust, coughing to clear his throat before trying again. “Abyss?”

There was no response.

“Abyss? Please, you- *cough* -need to wake up.” He begged. “You… you have to wake up. We gotta get out of here.”

She didn’t make a sound.

“Abyss?”



He tried to move toward her, but the searing pain on his body forced some blood out from his throat. Coughing, some more blood spilled out, splashing softly against the ground.

“I-” He muttered, gasping for breath. “I have to-” His mouth failed him as his next words were unintelligible.

-save you

“I-” He coughed again, voice hoarse from the pain. He slowly pushed himself up slightly, muscles and bones all screaming for him to stop. “I can’t...I won’t…” His face fell back to the ground.

“I……. can’t….”

Suddenly, there were noises coming from outside the rubble. It sounded like voices, and from how loud they were, the voices were probably shouting. After a moment, the ground beneath him began vibrating and everything around him glowed with a yellow light. Suddenly, the rubble was lifted up, the light pouring in blinding him for a moment.

“Steve!” A familiar voice cried. The Crafter began to crane his neck up just as the same gentle, yellow glow overtook him.

Health Restored - 20 health. 21 health remaining.

He felt his bones mending back together as his bruises healed and his cuts and gashes stitched themselves back together. He groaned as he slowly got one leg under him.

“Steve, are you okay?” Celestia asked, eyes wide with worry. “I managed to heal you somewhat, but Steve...Faust, your injuries.” She muttered that last part with worry as she took in his still bloodied and damaged body.

He chugged down a potion of Healing as he slowly got back to his feet.

Health Restored - 6 health. 27 health remaining.

“Don’t worry about me!” He yelled, before throwing an arm out to point at Abyss. “Worry about her!”

The alicorn looked at the fallen dragoness’ body, grimacing as she did so. She turned to one side, where a small group of ponies stood, each of them wearing various medical garb. “Curo! Tend to the dragoness!”

“Aye!” Out of the group came a griffon. His feathers were faded brown, likely from age, though his emerald green eyes were sharp as a sword. He wore a lab coat that covered his wings, though he didn’t let this stop him from jumping towards his new charge. He set to work immediately, checking her vitals and ensuring she wouldn’t die in the next few minutes.

After a minute or two, he turned to the medical ponies. “Oi! You lumps of flesh help me move this gal to the hospital! She ain’t too badly hurt, but better safe ‘an sorry!” With that, Abyss was gently lifted out of the air while several ponies and the griffin swiftly left the throne room. The other doctors and nurses still left were already tending to the wounded guards and other ponies that had been injured.

“Steve.”

The Crafter’s gaze was drawn back to the alicorn standing nearby. “Where is he?”

She frowned, then responded. “As we speak, most likely in Ponyville, if he was being truthful.”

“You spoke to him?”

“Yes. He was the one to inform me of where you had been…. buried.”

“Ah.” Steve replied lamely. He thought for a moment, nodded to himself, then turned and began heading towards the big double-doors that granted access to the room.

“Steve? Where are you going?” Celestia asked, brows knit together in concern.

“To Ponyville.”

“What?! Why?!”

“Discord’s still on the loose.” He spoke, still walking. He had nearly reached the doors before there was a flash of light and suddenly, Celestia was in front of him, staring at him with a worried/angry expression on her face.

“Steve, if I may speak honestly, Discord just defeated you with little effort. You are only alive because he let you live.”

“Huh. Weird.” The Crafter responded before attempting to go around her. She stopped him with a hoof.

“Steve, you can’t defeat him.”

“I know.” He replied, glaring at the alicorn for denying him passage. “That wasn’t the plan, remember? The plan was to hold him off long enough for the Elements to do their thing. Speaking of, where is Dash and the others?”

Celestia grimaced, then lowered her head. “We… don’t know.”

“What?”

“Discord teleported them somewhere. I’ve tried finding them, but his chaos magic is messing with my own magic.” She shook her head sadly. “We don’t know where they are.”

“Hmm. And where’s Luna?” Steve inquired.

“She’s…. preoccupied right now.” Celestia replied, looking away.

“Is she now?” Steve spoke, glaring at the alicorn. After a moment, he sighed and shook his head. “Look, if you wanna help, teleport me to Ponyville. If not, I’m walking and though you could very well try and stop me, you know as well as I that we shouldn’t waste time.” He looked her over and saw the guilty expression plastered on her face. He sighed once again and was about to speak when she interrupted him.

“Very well.”

Her horn lit up and Steve barely managed to grab her before his vision went white.

* * * * *

Few people in the world had a deep understanding of how one’s soul really worked. Some thought it was a fake thing, an idea, drudged up by legends and tales of old. Others thought it was real, and was simply the spiritual form one took after passing on. Others still thought it a power source, where one's true strength lay.

People like Onyx knew better.

The ground was cold and unforgiving. Dark surrounded him like an unyielding veil. He had long since passed by through the outer layers of Steve’s soul. His memories, his skills, his traits. What made Steve, Steve. Now, he was approaching the Inner Sanctum. Where the center of the soul lay.

This soul center was the very core of one’s being. It was what you got when you stripped away a person’s memories, traits, knowledge, everything. When you took everything, all you were left with was what the center of your soul was. Onyx himself had a soul, although it was quite different from a regular person’s soul, what with him being a Nightmare and all.

Suddenly, what he was looking for came into view. Appearing out of the blackness in front of him, he saw a light. It was blocky in appearance, its length and width roughly equal to Steve’s own height. It glowed with a pale, white light.

A deep sense of foreboding overtook him. Never-the-less, he pressed on.

He slowly approached it. As he did so, Onyx finally noticed that the soul center was damaged. A giant crack formed down the middle of the structure, nearly splitting it in half.

“That is worrying.” Onyx muttered aloud. “To have a damaged soul… How did I never-?”

“Damaged?” A deep voice rang out, shaking the Nightmare to his core. He drew back as his gaze took in a new, shocking sight. There was an image of Steve on either side of the Center. Both were facing Onyx with their eyes closed.

The first, the one on the left, opened its eyes. There was the familiar deep indigo color of Steve’s eyes. They were bright, but unseeing, as if he was looking straight through Onyx.

The second opened its eyes. The Nightmare was immediately blinded by the bright, white light that shot from them, forcing him to look away. After his vision returned to him, Onyx looked back.

His gaze was met by the sight of Herobrine on the other half of the Soul Center. The god stared at him, a sick smile plastered across his face.

“Damaged, dear Nightmare?” It asked, once again. “No. We are more complete than you could ever understand.”

Both images faded as the Soul Center’s faint glow suddenly became more intense. Onyx backed up, one arm covering his eyes against the harsh light.

“Steve is my killer, and my savior.” Herobrine’s voice rang out, shaking the very ground he stood on. “And you can thank Notch for that!”

Suddenly, Onyx felt like he’d been hit by something very hard. There was a loud noise like an explosion as everything went white.

* * * * *

The town was empty.

Or, at least it seemed that way. The streets were empty, doors locked and windows shut tight. Still, Steve couldn't help but feel like he was being watched, like the souls of those inside each building were looking out, watching him as he slowly walked down the empty cobblestone street.

He gripped his sword in one hand, eyes on the lookout for his target. Chocolate milk dripped off of his diamond helmet, obscuring his vision slightly, but he ignored it.

He was alone. After he’d teleported, he’d opened his eyes to find that Celestia was not with him. Obviously, something had gone wrong, but Steve wasn’t a magic user so he wouldn’t even try to figure out why.

There was a tense atmosphere over the town. The air was thick and heavy, almost physically weighing down on him. The dark clouds overhead boomed and crackled as candy-rope lightning struck the ground every-so-often, sending out sprays of Nerds™ candy with each strike.

The group of the strange bird abominations squawked as they flew overhead.

“Where are you, you bastard?” Steve muttered, eyes searching all around.

There was a tense silence, almost as if destiny itself was eager to watch him squirm in anticipation. And then he heard it.

It sounded like... music.

It was soft at first, but as the Crafter followed it, it steadily grew louder and louder. It sounded like opera music, a thick conglomeration of countless instruments Steve couldn’t place, all playing together in an admittedly catchy tune. Soon, Steve was running, eyes looking all around for the source of the sound, the only sound playing in the deathly quiet town.

Finally, he saw it.

It was coming from his house. Unlike every other house in Ponyville, the lights in his home were on. He could make out shadows dancing across his windows as voices drifted out from behind the front doors.

He stopped, brow knitted together in contemplation.

“This has to be a trap.” He muttered.

Steve stared at his home, contemplating what decision he should make before shrugging. “Well, there’s really only one option.”

He walked over to his front door, grasping the handle before throwing it open. What met his gaze caused his jaw to drop.

Minecraftians.

Dozens of them.

The first floor of his living room had been transformed into something like a tavern, with tables and chairs strewn about while dozens of Minecraftians sang, drank and danced about. It reminded Steve of a party from back in the days of Ironwood, back before it’s destruction during the First Mob War.

The Crafter, paralyzed from his shock, could only stare as he listened to their song.

“~Don’t ya know, the sun’s setting fast, and just like they say, nothing good ever lasts”

“So hold on now, and please don’t cry, and hold on to that healing, ‘cause your heart’s bound to die”

“Go on now, and say goodbye, but don’t frown. But don’t frown.”

“Cause can’t ya see the sun setting down on our town? On our town, tonight.”

There was a brief where the music continued playing before the singing picked back up.

“Just down the way there’s some trouble on the rise.”

“Herobrine's coming, with hate in his eyes.”

“Hundreds have fallen and hundreds have died.”

“Despite what they say, I fear it’s a losing fight.”

“And don’t ya know, the sun’s setting fast, and just like they say nothing good ever lasts.”

“So hold on now and please don’t cry, and hold on to that healing, ‘cause your heart’s bound to die.”

“Go on now, and say goodbye, but don’t frown. But don’t frown.”

“Cause can’t ya see the sun setting down on our town? On our town, tonight.”

There was another brief moment where the music played, and when the singing resumed, Steve found himself singing this time, tears trailing down his face.

“I’ve buried my family and I’ve buried my friends.”

“It’s been so damn long since I saw their lives end.”

“But every night, when I close my eyes,”

“I see all their faces, smiling down from the sky.”

“And as the time passed, a lot of things changed.”

“Some things are now gone, and some things stayed the same.”

“I’ll never forgot those, who helped me along”

“You’ll stay in my heart, even when I’m dead and gone.”

The dozens of Minecraftians joined in, singing the final verse with Steve.

“And don’t ya know, the sun’s setting fast, and just like they say nothing good ever lasts.”

“So hold on now and please don’t cry, and hold on to that healing, ‘cause your heart’s bound to die.”

“Go on now, and say goodbye, but don’t frown. But don’t frown.”

“Cause can’t ya see the sun setting down on our town? On our town, tonight.”

With that, the music slowly faded, leaving Steve feeling emotionally exhausted by what he’d seen and done.

“Cathartic, isn’t it?” Discord asked, suddenly appearing beside Steve. The Crafter didn’t move, though he did glance at the draconequus beside him.

“What is this?” He asked, gesturing to the scene before him with one hand while he wiped the tear stains away with the other. “Why show me this?”

“Because I wish to offer you something.”

“Really?” Steve replied, frowning. Discord nodded seriously, which immediately grabbed the Crafter’s attention.

“Despite what you may have been led to believe, you and I are not so different.” Steve scoffed, prompting the draconequus to continue. “As crazy as it may sound, it’s true. And as such, I can recognize a tortured soul when I see one. Someone who is broken and shattered. Someone like how I used to be.”

The Crafter’s snapped to Discord, brow furrowed in confusion. ‘Like how he… used to be?’

“I offer you a choice.” The draconequus spoke.

“What choice?”

“I can save your race.”

Steve’s breath caught in his throat. “That’s-”

“Impossible?” Discord chuckled. “You forget, I am the Lord of Chaos. I do the impossible everyday and twice on Tuesdays. And thanks to the efforts of a friend of mine…” With a flick of one finger, Discord summoned forth a small, leather-bound book. Steve could barely read the text on the front, but what he saw shocked him.

Minecraftians and their workings

“Apparently, Notch kept a record of how he made your kind. With a little bit of work, I can make it happen. I could make more of your kind. After a while, all it would take was a snap of my fingers to bring a Minecraftian into existence. Your kind would be saved from extinction. This-” He gestured to the scene. “-would become reality.”

Steve, almost unconsciously, began reaching for the book.

“I….I could….” He struggled to find the right words. “After so long… I wouldn’t be alone anymore?” Then, he shook his head before taking a step back. He glared up at Discord, eyes narrowed in distrust. “And what would you want in return? I don’t imagine you’re just giving this to me for free.”

The draconequus sighed, letting the book fall by his side. “No, you’re correct. There is something I want.”

“And that is?”

Discord fixed him with a look. “It’s rather simple, actually. I save your race, and you stay out of my way.”

“Ah.” Steve breathed. "Yeah, that's what I figured." He muttered as he looked down at his left hand, which was clenched so hard blood had begun dripping from his palm, where his nails had pierced his skin. He relaxed his hand, letting it hang by his side as he glanced back up at Discord.

“So, you’re saying my two choices are either to let you reign free to bring back my race, or to fight and possibly beat you, and stay as I am, as an old, broken Crafter from a near-forgotten time?”

Discord thought for a moment, then shrugged. “Yeah, just about.”

Steve took a deep breath. “And why am I receiving such an offer? What did I do?”

“Because it’s like I said, you’re just like me.” Discord grinned.

“In what way?”

Suddenly the draconequus groaned and face-palmed. “Oooh, that’s right. That dragoness never told you.”

“Told me what?” Steve inquired as the memory of what had occurred earlier that day played in his mind, where Abyss was called out by Discord for hiding something from him.

“About your soul.”

Suddenly, Steve got a very bad feeling in his gut, as though he was really not gonna like what he was gonna hear. Regardless, he asked his question.

“What about it?”

“Well, it’s split.” Discord explained. As he did so, he summoned a small, white ball and subsequently broke it in half before lifting up one piece. “The first half is you, or rather, what makes you, you. Your memories, your talents, your skills, your strengths and weaknesses, all of it. That is what makes up the first half.”

Steve stared at it for a moment as a feeling of dread settled throughout his entire body as his gaze slowly wandered to the other piece. “....And the second half? What is that part?”

The draconequus grinned evilly before lifting up the other.

“Herobrine.”

Comments ( 15 )

10821180
..........

writes that down

You did it! You crazy son of a bitch, you did it!
Glad to see you’re okay.

I can save your friends and family...

Steve:but can you get me netherite tho........

Discord uh no..

Steve:kills discord with a fishing pole.

10857012
......that’s, what?

Honestly I expected something like:

Discord: Steve, Abyss didn’t tell you what the other half of your sou-.

Steve: Listen, Herobrine has the same skin complexion, hairstyle, height, weight, clothing, foot size, and facial hair. The only difference is in our eyes, so cut the crap, it’s pretty obvious he’s the other half of my soul.

Discord: Dude...uncool.

Warning: Bad End Route
"W-WHAT?! I... I am half-Herobrine...!?" Steve's mind went blank and flash backs of his PTSD. He killed his own race, friends, innocent families, Greedy-Emerald-Lover-Villagers and especially his Girlfriend. Steve pause himself and type "/Gamemode Herobrine" and killed Discord point-blank permanently as he went insane, destroying Equestria with his own hands, and dancing Fortnite dance. He made his own legend, it's White-Eyed Crafter Devouring Ponies.
Twilight puts back a weird fanfic BOOK to the bookshelf, sweating and her mind told herself "It's not... real! It's not, real! It's NOT REAL!" Later... Twilight confronted Steve with her horn charged-ready of Military Grade Magic. Steve looks at her and he thought "This video one of my pony friends try and hunt me down and stop me from beating Equestria so here we are can she stop me from beating the Luna or will i survive this is it Equestria Manhunt also only a small percentage of people that watch my videos are actually subscribed so if you end up liking this video consider subscribing it's free and you can always change your mind enjoy the video"

10872963
Thank you. As a huge soccer fan that means much more than you think. It looks like they tried made her look like fucking Messi.

Wouldn’t it be epic if Steve and the Elite Guards teamed up? Wouldn’t that be OP as fuck? Not necessarily against Discord, but maybe later, like against the changelings. Maybe Steve doesn’t go to the wedding, but is called due to the changelings. Then, he meets Trench and the Elite Guards and together they kick ass, maybe even meet Vask along the way for a rematch.

Today, Lionel Messi just left Barca and I cried for ten minutes straight. But coming back to this story was enough to soak the tears. Amazing story. Please, don’t give up on it.

Is this story dead?

Will there be more?

It was a wonderful time first reading the first story, sad to see things go but like time - nothing last forever.

Login or register to comment