• Published 31st Oct 2021
  • 1,648 Views, 122 Comments

Her Eyes Reflect The Stars - Lynwood



Ponies, each with stories of their own, all linked across time by a horrific, unknowable entity. Something terrible is happening... or has it already happened?

  • ...
5
 122
 1,648

PreviousChapters Next
Day 31―

Day 31―

It was cold this morning. Really cold. After we broke camp, we went back to the house and we― or I guess I went in and looked for winter clothes while Steady stayed back with Symphony. I was careful not to look at the stallion and I found some scarves and coats and a set of foal's boots for Symphony. We felt much warmer after that, and we got on the road lickety-split.

It's hard to find the words to describe the devastation that we saw. It's horrible. Wherever ponies had built something, five times out of six it was smashed to pieces. Homes, bridges, farms, even the road signs. We saw a train that was lying upside-down like a dead snake nowhere near any rails.

We gave up on our plan not too far into the day because of the tracks we saw, all going in the same direction. There was an overwhelming amount of pony hoofprints wherever there was mud, all heading northwest, and then the big, squarish holes that they leave behind when they walk, and then on top of all those, more pony tracks, except they were all messy, like the pony walking was drunk. Steady thought they were from other stragglers like us, desperately trying to do what we were trying to do: get to Canterlot and Ponyville.

We'd arrived at a crossroads when I realized what was happening. If all the ponies were going to those two cities, then they would be following them. For all we knew, the same thing was happening there that had happened in the city we had barely escaped from. We stood there, not knowing what to do, talking as evenly and carefully as possible to keep Symphony calm, when another group came up the road.

I was scared at first, but it was another group of survivors travelers like us. Three mares and a colt, and they all eyed us as warily as we eyed them, but once we sorted out that nopony was going to rob anypony, they stopped to talk to us for a bit.

They said they were going to the north, to the Empire. They said the snow and ice would keep them at bay, and that the Crystal Ponies and the royal family would protect them. Steady thought that was a pretty crummy plan, and thought we should go west. The other ponies left not long after, so they didn't hear me and Steady's shouting match. I feel just terrible about it, but I still know I'm right. Anyway, these big fat flakes started falling right about then. I thought it was snow at first, but it was ash, floating down on a southeasterly wind. We decided to follow them north.

I think something is wrong with Steady Bass. He had deep bags under his eyes this morning, and he kept shivering and looking around. Well, I guess I was doing that too, but usually, he's the one trying to reassure me. When I asked if he was okay, he just said "I'm fine." He hasn't talked to me so harshly in such a long time, not even during all of this, but most of all, he's avoiding our daughter. Symphony kept trying to sit next to him at breakfast this morning but he pushed her away. I had a mind to smack some sense into him right then and there, but he looked at me, and I just―

I know that something's wrong.


―Silk Stream

PreviousChapters Next