• Published 4th Feb 2021
  • 12,410 Views, 1,083 Comments

Choice - zelkova48



When the time came, choices needed to be made. Consequences be damned. A series of short vignettes set in the Negotiationverse by Rated Pony

  • ...
11
 1,083
 12,410

Innovation


Professor Alric Thalmann, Dr. Yamato Souji and project co-leader Moondancer develop a prototype of the Thalmann Generator. The weapon that would win the Conversion Wars.


When Moondancer defected to humanity alongside Lyra and the Resistance, she never expected how much she would come to love human culture and all their quirky eccentricities.

Here she was in the heart of Tokyo, Japan, the technological nerve center where she was heading a top secret government project that would ultimately turn the tides of the war completely in humanity's favor. And on the cusp of perhaps the most important magi-technological breakthrough of all time, she found herself glued to the seventy-two inch flat screen television in the laboratory's break room, eyes staring unflinchingly at the glowing screen as this week's episode of 'Whuah?! There's Just No Way My Busty Step Mom Is Also My Evil Arch-nemesis!?' played out.

"Whuah?! There's just no way my busty step mom is also my evil arch-nemesis!?" The main character, Hiro P. Tagonist, yelled exaggeratedly.

"Mwuah-ha-ha-ha! So, you now know the truth my step son!" The villain, Eve L. Villaine, yelled back. "Your curfew is still at nine, though."

"But, mooooom!"

"Wow," Moondancer muttered in awe, her mouth covered with chip crumbs. "I can't believe the step mom was actually Hiro's arch-nemesis. This whole time I thought it was the childhood-friend-slash-potential-love-interest-slash-magical-girl-slash-author-self-insert, but I guess I was wrong. For once, you really can judge a book by its cover."

Ayaka Mifune, one of Moondancer's most trusted assistants and hardcore otaku, rolled her eyes at the unicorn's cute sense of wonder. "And to think, it only took us four seasons, two movies, a short lived but very beloved spin-off about Hiro's rival, a pachinko machine tie in and a poorly adapted North American version to get to this point," she quipped with a shrug of her shoulders. "Eh, the manga was better."

"Ahem!" A gravelly voice clearing their throat caused the two to nearly fall out of their seats. Moondancer and Ayaka hesitantly turned around and met the hard gaze of project leader Professor Alric Thalmann, an elderly German man with graying hair whose face always seemed to be set in a permanent scowl. He was a brilliant scientist, a modern Einstein as many have alluded him to. He was one part of the triumvirate of minds that will change the way technology and magic are viewed forever.

"Miss Moondancer, Miss Mifune. If you are done watching that juvenile drivel, perhaps we can get back to the experiments?" He grumbled with a heavy accent, brows knitted in aggravation.

"Y-yes, Professor Thalmann. Right away, Professor Thalmann," The two muttered, jumping out of their seats and making a beeline straight for the R&D labs with the utmost haste. The last thing they wanted was to be scolded in a language that seemed tailor made to express anger.

"Unglaublich," Professor Thalmann grumbled before shuffling out of the room.


Yugo Innovation Labs, owned by the powerful and influential Mishima Zaibatsu, was perhaps the most advanced science facility on all of planet Earth. The parts that weren't consumed by the barrier at least. When it comes to state of the art technology, this is where it all comes from. Currently the lab was hosting the UN scientific team, a collection of the best and brightest the world, both man and pony, had to offer that'd been formed with the singular purpose of preventing mankind's extinction.

Throughout their time here, the team has made extraordinary leaps in scientific advancements both big and small. In the span of just two short years, theoretical sciences had become reality. Technology once thought to be impossible to achieve without a centuries, if not a millennia, worth of study was now within arm's reach and growing ever closer with each passing day.

This was the work that Moondancer had dedicated herself to, and she considered it a great honor to be a part of in spite of the purpose behind it.

Trotting down the hallway alongside Professor Thalmann, Ayaka and several others, Moondancer glanced through the windows of the numerous research labs they were passing by, quietly admiring the various fruits of their labor.

One room had a group of scientist testing anti-gravity technology for use in vehicles.

The vehicle in question was little more than your garden variety electric powered pick up truck that had been souped up with anti-grav coils where the tires used to be. Moondancer was the one who helped get the project off the ground, but Professor Thalmann was the one who properly calibrated the diagnostics for the damn thing to work properly. The only issue that still plagued the researchers was the question of its stability, or lack thereof.

After all, frictionless motion is still dictated by inertia, and physics is a cold hearted bitch.

There was an incident a few months back where they were trying out the anti-grav coils on ground assault vehicles, specifically tanks. When the tank fired its cannon, the tank and the crew manning it were sent flying across the empty lot like a puck on an air hockey table that'd been struck by a rather enthusiastic player. That wasn't the actual incident, however. Rather, the tank crew had been harshly reprimanded for using the cannon as an alternative form of propulsion to steer without approval from the researchers, resulting in something the soldier's dubbed 'tank cannon drifting.'

Since then tank crews have been highly discouraged from performing this dangerous maneuver without extensive practice first.

Another room was dedicated to testing out alternative weaponry. So far, laser and magnetic weapons were the only ones that had been perfected, mostly.

Rail guns were the easiest to complete due to their simplicity, seeing as they were in all truth the final evolution of throwing rocks really, really fast. There was just something awe inspiring about seeing a small piece of tungsten carbide being loosed in a flash of electricity and absolutely decimating the back wall of the gun range that made humans giddy with joy.

Laser took a bit more time to get right.

Lasers had already existed but they needed to be supercharged for them to actually achieve any form of lethality. Soldiers had often joked about how embarrassingly weak the prototypes were, nicknaming them 'flashlights' since they were incapable of doing any real damage outside of burning ants or making fancy art on toast. A few tweaks and a new miniaturized power source later, 'burning ants with a magnifying glass' soon became 'killing ponies with a literal f**king death ray' as it was now powerful enough to amputate limbs in a single burst.

Plasma was still tricky to perfect seeing as the weapon was prone to either overheating or catastrophic malfunction. The problem wasn't the plasma itself, rather it was the weapon that was meant to hold it. Until a practical way to spew plasma could be developed plasma weaponry will unfortunately remain in the testing phase.

There were also things like omnispex tracking devices, carapace armor and unmanned point defense drones being developed, but everything that had been mentioned were all supplemental to the one that mattered the most.

Project: J.G.W.


Eventually the science team made it to lab zero, an underground bunker deep beneath the foundations of the building where only high ranking individuals with maximum level clearance are allowed to enter.

This bunker housed Project: J.G.W. A highly secretive scientific project approved by the UN that have had nearly unlimited funding funneled into it in order to see it come to life. Money was no object when the project could very well turn the war completely on its head. The theory had been proven and the calculations were checked a thousand times over. The science was there.

It will work.

Through the combination of human ingenuity and pony cooperation, it was possible to create a machine capable of dampening magic, if not outright rendering it null and void. The prototype for this machine was already complete, all they needed to do was turn it on and hope for the best.

"Ah, Moondancer, Professor Thalmann. You've finally made it," A middle aged Japanese man with messy black hair wearing round eyeglasses greeted the science team in perfect English.

"Good afternoon, Dr. Souji," replied Moondancer, trotting up beside him. "I see that the preparations are complete."

"To specifications, I would assume?" Professor Thalmann grumbled. Dr. Souji let out a hearty laugh.

"Ever the grumpy one, aren't you professor?" replied Dr. Souji. "What happened to that youthful optimism you expressed when you finally cracked the magi-tech code?"

"The fate of humanity and our pony allies hinges on the success of this project, doctor. Optimism is in short supply for me," Thalmann huffed, earning another chuckle from Dr. Souji.

"Oh, don't mind him. He's just being melodramatic," said Moondancer, shooting a mischievous look towards the good professor. " It's going to work, I'm sure of it."

"Hmph," Thalmann harrumphed, turning his nose and entering the lab as everyone else followed suit.

A massive cylindrical machine with four stilt-like legs stood in the center of the lab's testing chamber, the letters J.G.W. were painted on its side along with a series of serial numbers, bar codes and warning markings. A single glowing LED band near the top of the machine pulsed with a dim red light, signaling that it was inactive. It was an imposing invention, taking up almost the entire room with it's sheer immensity.

Mundane was perhaps the best way to describe it. It wasn't this outrageous contraption loaded to the brim with bells and whistles, rather it was this dull looking device that was about as practical as it can be without being little more than a metal box filled with moving parts and electronics.

"Impressive, isn't it?" Dr. Souji remarked.

"It really is," replied Moondancer.

"But does it work?" Professor Thalmann asked.

"Only one way to find out," said Moondancer as she and several others took their place among the command console in the observation deck. She deftly flipped switches and pushed buttons, following procedures that she had done countless times before. The glowing band on the machine turned yellow, signaling that it was on standby. "Powering up the device."

"Power is at fifty percent... Seventy percent... The device is now at one hundred percent," said Ayaka, sliding a few knobs around on the console. "Project J.G.W. is now fully operational. We're ready to proceed with further diagnostics."

"Dr. Souji, what is the status of machine?" said Thalmann.

"Readings appear stable across the board, Professor," replied Dr. Souji, tapping on his tablet. "The diffuser module is working as intended, just like I said it would."

"Excellent work, doctor," Thalmann nodded. "Moondancer, how is the power output?"

"Nominal," replied Moondancer. "There is no loss of power whatsoever. We will achieve the dampening effects within a few short minutes."

"Everyone," Professor Thalmann began, looking around the room. "This is the moment we've been waiting for. Two years of tireless work and dangerous amounts of caffeine have led us to this historic occasion. What we are about to witness is not just the turning point of the war, but a landmark achievement of human and pony cooperation. This will mark a new chapter in our Earth's history, one that shall be etched into the annals of history for centuries to come."

"Well said, professor," Moondancer nodded before turning her attention back to the machine. "Hmm... I detect a spike in power from the machine."

"A malfunction?" Dr. Souji raised an eyebrow.

"No," Moondancer shook her head. "The dampening effects of the machine are starting to take effect. It's drawing more power from the building's generator in order to manifest it.

"Will the machine be able to hold all that excess power?" Professor Thalmann asked.

"It will," replied Moondancer, turning some dials. "I just need to make some quick adjustments and-"

The lab's alarms suddenly came to life, blaring throughout all the speakers in the observation deck as hazard lights began flashing sporadically in the dimness of the room. Project J.G.W began whirring to life, violently shaking as its internal turbines grinded against each other in a psychopathic frenzy.

"A massive power surge has been detected in the upper labs!" Ayaka exclaimed, quickly typing on her keyboard. "We're getting reports of equipment failure from labs one through seven!"

"ScheiBe!" Thalmann cursed, biting at his thumb. "Moondancer, how much longer until we achieve the dampening effect!"

"Exactly two minute!" Moondancer yelled back, scrambling with her controls.

"I'll have the other labs shut down to preserve power," Dr. Souji suggested, reaching for his phone.

"Do it," Thalmann agreed. "Order your team to shut down all nonessential machinery. We can't let this opportunity slip away, otherwise we'll be set back for another year!"

"One minute and twenty seconds, Professor Thalmann!" yelled Moondancer, frantically tuning her console. "Come on! Come on! Hold it together just for a little while longer!"

An explosion from above rocked the underground bunker, causing debris to fall from the ceiling and knocking over a few unprepared scientists onto the floor.

"Gott im Himmel, what was that!?" Thalmann shouted over the alarms.

"Those were the plasma cells in the coolant chamber, they just detonated!" screamed Ayaka, fingers moving like skittering spiders on her keyboard. She muttered something incoherently beneath her breath in rapid Japanese as her eyes darted back and forth on the screen.

"Are there any casualties?!" Dr. Souji pressed.

"...At least three staff members were caught in the blast with another ten badly injured," Ayaka mumbled solemnly. "We've got hazard teams moving in to contain the fires. Professor Thalmann, we have to abort! At this rate the entire building will burn down! With us in it!"

"Nein! Not now!" Thalmann growled. "We're so close!"

"Thirty more seconds!" shouted Moondancer, gripping the edges of her seat. "Twenty five... twenty... fifteen..."

"Come on... Come on..." Thalmann grumbled, biting his thumb to the point he broke skin and started bleeding.

Then suddenly, the power shut off and everything was cloaked in a veil of darkness.

Various yelps and cries of shock in multiple languages echoed around the room before slowly descending into uncomfortable silence. For what felt like an eternity in the dark, hope lingered like a flickering match in a damp cave. The entire science team waited with bated breath for something, anything to happen.

A green glow faintly emanating from down in the testing chamber brought everyone's attention to the machine. It was finally in its active state.

"S-status report," Thalmann spoke barely above a whisper, trying to slow his throbbing heart.

"I-I..." Dr. Souji tried to speak but felt the words get trapped in his throat.

As quickly as it had happened, the lights began turning back on and the computer consoles hummed back to life, much to everyone's relief.

"...The generator has s-successfully rebooted itself. Power is now being restored throughout the entire building," murmured Ayaka. "It appears the hazard team have been successful in containing the fires but the damage has already been done. All remaining staff are following proper evacuation procedures and a cleanup crew has been dispatched to review the damage. We should have their full report on our desk by the end of the day."

Dr. Souji removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Chikusho..." he cursed. "There are families that I'm going to have to inform."

"It is unfortunate," said Professor Thalmann, collecting himself. "But we can't mourn for them right now. Project: J.G.W. is our number one priority. We must know if the experiment was a success."

Dr. Souji sighed heavily. Professor Thalmann was as blunt as ever, but he was correct. "What of Project: J.G.W., Moondancer?" he asked, but received no response. "...Moondancer?" He walked over to Moondancer's station and quickly rushed to her aid when he saw that she was collapsed on the floor, unconscious. "Moondancer!" he cried, cradling her in his arms. He placed his fingers on her neck and breathed a sigh of relief when he felt a pulse. "She's still alive."

Moondancer began to stir a moment later. When she opened her eyes she was greeted by the concerning stares of her fellow scientist as they crowded around her prone form. She slowly got to her hooves, bracing herself against the console for better balance.

"You gave us quite a scare, Moondancer," said Thalmann, helping her up on all fours. "What happened?"

"...I-it works," Moondancer muttered, a small smile on her lips.

Professor Thalmann and Dr. Souji traded looks with each other.

"What are you talking about?" Professor Thalmann asked.

"The machine... it works," replied Moondancer.

"You mean..." Dr. Souji's eyes widened.

"Mmhmm," Moondancer nodded weakly. "Project: J.G.W. is a complete success."

"...How can you tell?" asked Professor Thalmann, pulling out his research tablet. "Please, explain the sensation you are feeling as best you can."

"It's..." Moondancer murmured, gripping onto her head. "It's like there's a vice clamped around my brain. I've got this strange headache that I've never felt before. It doesn't hurt but I can feel something is off, you know? Also, my heart feels heavy." She pointed to her chest. "Almost like there's a ball and chain strapped to it. Overall I feel fatigued and listless."

"That's good, that's good," Professor Thalmann nodded, tapping on his tablet. "What of your magic?"

"My magic is still there but I can't get much of it out, if at all. It feels like I'm trying to squeeze that last bit of toothpaste out of the tube using my mind." Moondancer strained, trying to levitate something nearby on the floor, a pen, but couldn't get it off the ground more than a couple inches before giving up. "The dampening waves are disrupting the flow of magic in the air. I-I guess the only way I can describe it is like blowing away a thick fog with a really big fan. Everything in the air just kind of dissipates, leaving nothing behind."

"Not the best analogy, but we'll take it," quipped Dr. Souji. "But in all seriousness. Ladies and gentlemen. And esteemed mare," he winked at Moondancer who chuckled wearily. "We've done it. Through our hard work, we've achieved what many thought was impossible. Not only have we created the very first fusion of machine and magic, we've created something that can nullify magic. With this, we can destroy that infernal barrier and end this foolish war before it claims any more lives."

There was a round of applause. The science team shared praises among the triumvirate who made it all possible and exchanged congratulatory handshakes amongst themselves.

"We can't keep referring to this as Project J.G.W. now that we've achieved our goals. It needs a proper name," said Thalmann. "Any suggestions?"

"Oh! Oh! How about the Asta Engine?" Ayaka suggested.

"Is that another one of your anime things, miss Mifune?" Thalmann grumbled.

"...No?" Ayaka smiled sheepishly.

"Perhaps something more straightforward is what we need. We could just call it the Magic Dampener," said Dr. Souji.

"Too on the nose. It would tip off the Equestria to its capabilities, no doubt," said Moondancer, shaking her head. "I propose we name it the Thalmann Generator, after the one person who made this all possible." Professor Thalmann raised his eyebrow at the mention.

"Curious, miss Moondancer," said Thalmann, bringing a hand to his chin. "While it is an honor to have such a device named after myself, we should be naming it after you. After all, your insight into the world of magic was what allowed me to make this project into a reality to begin with. Perhaps, the Moondancer Device?"

"Tempting, but the honor is all yours," Moondancer bowed humbly. "You were the one who spent many a sleepless night writing down formulas and making equations from my notes. You were the one who discovered that it was possible to mix machinery and magic together. My efforts were supplemental in magnitude when compared to your own. I vote we name this device the Thalmann Generator."

"I second this decision," said Dr. Souji, standing beside the professor. "Professor Thalmann has earned the right to have the machine named after him. Are we all in agreement?"

A series of yes and ayes came forth from the rest of the team. The decision was unanimous.

Project: J.G.W. will henceforth be known as the Thalmann Generator.


It was around night time when Moondancer found herself back in the lab's break room, alone. She needed to catch up on her shows and finally found an amble opportunity to do so.

The cleanup crews had already done their sweep of the building and given all staff the go ahead to resume their business. The power surge will have to be logged for insurance purposes but that was a job for the beancounters. Dr. Souji had already finished informing the families of the scientists who lost their lives during the accident. He was real bent out of shape about the entire ordeal and had chosen to excuse himself for the day, taking the time to unwind and assuage whatever guilt he felt with a tall glass of beer in the comforts of his own home.

As for the rest of the UN scientific team, they were celebrating their success. A small, informal gathering had taken place in one of the unoccupied meeting rooms a few floors up. They raided the pantry and vending machines for snacks, playing loud music over the building's intercom and partying down like there was no tomorrow. Moondancer had joined the festivities for a spell but quietly slipped away to watch her stories once her introverted nature began to surface.

Once her show had ended however, she was shocked to be greeted by none other than the man of the hour himself: Professor Alric Thalmann.

"Ah, Moondancer. I was hoping I'd find you here," said Thalmann, seating himself beside her and pulling out a pipe. "You don't mind, do you?"

"I do, actually. I have sensitive sinuses," Moondancer grimaced.

"It's a good thing I asked then," Thalmann chuckled, stowing the pipe back into his jacket. "I wanted to speak with you one on one. You should be glad to know that we've already begun plans to minimize the generator. Dr. Souji had the schematics in mind even before we succeeded. We should have a working model by the end of the month, and will have produced a fair amount the week after."

"Yeah, that's... That's good," Moondancer nodded lamely. "Is that all you wanted to say, or..."

Professor Thalmann straighten himself out and softened his gaze. "I know something's been bothering you."

"...I make it that obvious, don't I," Moondance frowned, turning away.

"I might not be a people person, but I am a very observant man. I wouldn't have gotten to where I am in life by being ignorant," replied Thalmann. "You're worried about the war, aren't you? That's why you wanted to name the machine after me. That whole thing about tipping off the Equestrians was little more than a way to shift the attention away from you."

"I..." Moondancer looked downcast. Shame welled up from within, causing her to turn away from the professor. "What I've done is condemn my people to swift destruction. I know what I was heading into when I signed onto this project, but that doesn't make the thought hurt any less. The Thalmann Generator will not only shatter the barrier, it will grind Equestria underneath humanity's bootheel. My species' heavy reliance on magic throughout the war with be our downfall, and I just helped to create the one thing that will exploit that fact."

"You're afraid you'll go down in history as a traitorous monster," Thalmann stated bluntly.

"I am," Moondancer sighed. She turned to face Thalmann, struggling not to break down into tears. "Am I monster for doing what I believe was right?"

"...Do you know who J. Robert Oppenheimer is?" Thalmann asked out of the blue.

"I-I, yes. I do know who he is," replied Moondancer. "He was a part of the Manhattan Project, one of the men who helped to create the atomic bomb. Perhaps the most destructive weapon in your arsenal outside of its hydrogen counterpart."

"That's right," Thalmann nodded. "Oppenheimer was never the same after the atomic bomb was built. Even if it did help to end the second world war that victory resulted in a nuclear pissing contest between two world powers less than a year later. He felt the same way you do now. His greatest contribution to mankind was something that could destroy us all in the blink of an eye. Us scientist understand that regret all too well. The road to progress is never a straight line, and you never know where you will end up or whether or not your achievements will define you in the end."

Thalmann looked scared for a moment, something that caused Moondancer to reel in surprise. "No, I don't think you are a monster, Moondancer. You're someone who just wants this madness to stop, the faster the better."

"I..." Moondancer's voice cracked. "I wish Celestia never started this stupid war! I wish Twilight would come to see reason and put a stop to all this! I wish I was never pushed into making the generator by their idiocy in the first place!?" She cried out, shaking and heaving after her tirade. "...I wish I didn't know that I will be responsible for the deaths of my own people."

"Curious. I wonder if your Princess Celestia feels the same," said Thalmann, standing up. "If it's any consolation, you're not the one sending your people to fight on the front lines." Sighing, he turned and left the break room. "Gute nacht, Moondancer. I'll see you tomorrow. Don't be late, I know miss Mifune has been covering for you."

Once he was out of earshot, Moondancer could only squeak out a quiet thank you in response.

There was a lot she needed to think about.

Was she truly responsible for killing her own people?

She wish she had the answer.