• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 2,785 Views, 257 Comments

Schadenfreude HATES MAGIC - Daemon McRae



Schadenfreude, resident asshat and glorified walking glitterbomb, has his first personal run-in with magic. An EQG story.

  • ...
5
 257
 2,785

Wonderful, more good news.

My word there was a lot of yelling going on. Twilight yelling at Sunset, Sunset yelling at me. It’s a good think the archives were buried underground in a stone cave, although they probably weren’t doing anything to quell the rumors that the particular section of the library where the hidden door was was haunted. Probably for the best. Where was I? Oh yes, yelling.

“What do you MEAN Princess Celestia is your MOM?!”

How the hell did you find out anyway?!

“We’ve known each other for years and you never told me?!”

“You didn’t even stop to think that maybe, just maybe, you should not tell anyone?!

Why did you never tell me?! Why did Celestia never tell me?! Why did I have to hear it first from this douchecanoe?!”

“Douchehorse,” I corrected.

SHUT THE FUCK UP SCHADENFREUDE!

I considered sitting back and just letting them yell themselves hoarse (he-he), but to my chagrin, and probably much more to the poor soul we were down here to help, time was a small factor here. “Not that I don’t take great pleasure in disobeying a direct order,” I said calmly, “But isn’t this a conversation we should be having after we solve this poor child’s gender problem?”

“Are you kidding?!” Sunset barked. “I’m not even sure I want to help you now!”

I paused, confused. “Wait, I though I was helping you.”

Sunset stopped, her eyes went wide, and she paled rather intensely. “No, you’e right. We’re uh, you’re here to help us. Absolutely.”

I gave Twilight a sideways glance, who looked absolutely panicked. Then a small thought occurred to me, and for once in my life I wanted very much to be wrong. “Twilight?” I asked quietly.

“Y-yes, Schaden?”

“What’s the human’s name?”

“What… uh… what do you mean?”

“The human. Who had the Penance Band. Who we’re trying to turn back into a guy. What. Is his name?” I could feel myself both panicking and growing distinctly annoyed.

“I’m, um, not sure how that makes a difference. I’m sure the spell isn’t specifically targeted at the pon-er-person, so we probably don’t need it to find a counter-”

“TWILIGHT,” I said sternly. Which was more than enough to stop Twilight mid-sentence, a feat I had rarely if ever accomplished in my lifetime. Even Sunset stood straighter, and was still paler than driven snow. “Of all the ponies in the world who could have gotten you into this room, you came to me. Whether that has anything to do with the… patient or not, I’m not sure. But if you’re going to ask me for help, especially help this big, I’d ask, no expect, a little more transparency. So what does Sunset mean by ‘help me’? Why does this unicorn-” I pointed a hoof at the now slightly shaking Shimmer, “Talk not only like she’s met me before, but has done so with regularity? Who, exactly, is the child -from a dimension in which we all have weird bipedal clones walking around- that we’re trying to help?”

All of this I said with an air of authority I didn’t know I had, as I spoke tensely and quietly to a now rather scared-looking pair of mares who, for all intents and purposes, looked like I’d caught them smoking in the bathroom during class. “It’s… uh… you,” Sunset said slowly.

“...what.”

--------------

What,” I said again, staring at nothing in particular, after a somewhat wordy explanation from both mares. At the same time.

Sunset sighed heavily. “You- I mean he- the other Schaden,” at which point she stopped to shiver, which I was too shell-shocked to enjoy, “Came to me for help a few days ago, with the Band still on his arm. It took a bunch of trial and error, and eventually a magic potion from a zebra-”

“-WHAT-”

“-to get it off. Unfortunately, he was a she when that happened, which meant, we found out later, she was stuck like that until we found the counterspell the bracelet was casting automatically. Which we couldn’t find in Twilight’s books, so we came here,” she finished, exasperated.

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, to which I just raised a hoof. “Don’t. Not EVEN.” To her credit, she did think better of it, and stayed quiet. A silence which lasted for a few moments until I gathered my wits a little “Twilight.”

Sparkle jumped a little. “Y-yes?”

“You remember how, a few minutes ago, you told me about the Penance Band, and I promptly vomited into a trash can?”

“Uh… yes?”

I sighed a little, trying to set aside some of this rather disconcerting simmering rage I could feel building up inside me. “Well, you were right. I have heard of it before. Far back wall, upstairs, bottom shelf. You’ll have to reach around a small stalagmite to get it.”

The princess had already taken off, only stopping at the top of the stairs to ask, “And, uh… what book am I looking for?”

“The Youth of Equestria and How to Correct Them, by Peyote the Mad.”

She flinched appropriately at the title, and set off to find it. With only one other pony to deal with at the moment, I found myself calming down a little. “Sunset.”

“Yes!” Shimmer said loudly, still nervous. “I mean, uh… yes?” she repeated in a much calmer voice.

“While I am still not happy that my own personal attachment to this… problem… was kept a secret, I can, at least a little, understand your hesitation in keeping this from me,” I reasoned. “Given what little I know about the human world, it occurs to me that there’s a distinct probability the… ‘other me’ is just as, well, me as I am. I can understand your reluctance to dealing with two of us simultaneously, and the idea of keeping me from knowing there’s more than one of me trotting around Equestria right now. So to speak,” I added, remembering what they’d told me about the busted shoulder I had suffered.

Sunset sighed a little. “Well, thanks, I guess?”

I nodded, as an ‘A-ha’ rang out from the background. Apparently Twilight found the book. “To answer your ‘other’ question, Celestia at no point had asked me to keep your familial relationship a secret. While I can understand you not wanting to know that the ruler of Equestria is your mother, I get the distinct impression that Celestia is in no way ashamed to call you her daughter.”

The orange pony smiled, and got a little choked up. “Awww, that’s sweet. Now when’s the other horseshoe drop?” she added, with a dry smile.

“Gimme a minute,” I answered, as Twilight trotted up with a large tome. While nowhere near as large as The History of Equestria Vol. 1, Peyote the Mad’s written works were long-winded and disturbingly detailed. Twilight dropped it on the table with a large ‘THUD’.

“So how do you know this book has the counterspell in it?” Sunset asked. “I mean, I assume you’ve read it, of course, but even given that I only know teenage human you I would assume you don’t have a magically inclined academic background.”

“Table of Contents,” I said simply, flipping the book open. “Chapter 7: Penance Bands, Construction and Application.”

Twilight flinched. “I’m not going to like this book, am I?”

“No,” Sunset and I said together.

-----

Several minutes later, the mood in the majority of the room had turned sour. Sunset was emotionally drained, and Twilight was visibly distressed. “So… there’s no way to turn him back?” Sunset asked quietly.

“...actually,” I replied, a thought having occurred to me.

“No,” Twilight answered, either having not heard me or ignoring me on instinct. “The countercurse is cast once every hour because if it isn’t, the gender change spell becomes permanent after four.”

“Well…” I said a bit louder.

“So you’re telling me that we electrocuted a kid, nearly tore his shoulder out of his socket, knocked him unconscious for a day, TURNED HIM INTO A PONY AGAINST HIS WILL, and we can’t even send him home in his own gender?!” Sunset barked, tears of frustration in her eyes.

“Now that you mention it-” I answered, at a noticeable volume.

“What?!” both girls yelled at me.

“There might not be a counter-curse, but there is a spell that can permanently reassign his gender, by default fixing the issue,” I explained.

Both of them looked ready to kill me. Which, given how correct I was being, was practically flirting. “What do you MEAN?!” Twilight screeched. “Why didn’t you tell us this ‘sooner’?!”

“Three reasons,” I said pointedly. “One, the spell has a few stipulations, not the least of which being that it requires the presence, and a portion of flesh, from when the subject was the opposite gender, which means it only works on somepony who has changed genders, and also has a living male clone and or counterpart lying around. Which, leads me to number two, I didn’t know this was an option, since I didn’t know it was ME,” I said pointedly, which served to temper their anger a bit.

“And three?” Twilight asked after a moment.

“There’s no written record of it. I only know it exists through conversation, and I only know one pony in all of Equestria who can cast it. Which means…” I added, trailing off intentionally.

Sunset raised a worried eyebrow. “Which means…? ...no. No, Schaden, you have to be kidding.”

I was already walking to the door. “I’m gonna tell your mom, Sunset Shimmer!”

Author's Note:

You're gonna get in trou-ble!