• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 2,786 Views, 257 Comments

Schadenfreude HATES MAGIC - Daemon McRae



Schadenfreude, resident asshat and glorified walking glitterbomb, has his first personal run-in with magic. An EQG story.

  • ...
5
 257
 2,786

Fine, into the angry bowl.

Author's Note:

Tentatively coming back to writing horsewords.

"I swear to whoever you quadriplebs consider the founder of modern religion I'm just gonna throw myself into the nearest combine harvester if you tell me I have to drink that," I groaned, feeling as ill as Sunset looked moments ago. Zecora was currently leaning over a large, gurgling pot of what looked distinctly like a photo-negative of flowing magma, which had taken her long enough to... concoct that I’d turned back into a girl again.

"While I can understand your apprehension, allow me to relieve some of that tension," Zecora said soothingly, slowly stirring. "This concoction is not meant for pony consumption, though it is not an unexcpeted assumption. This mixture is meant to be bathed in, while hot; now hop your skinny ass into the pot."

I didn't really like that answer any better, but I’d only been half-serious about the harvester. I was willing to do damn near anything to get the ‘Penance Band’ off me, now more than ever knowing what it was for. “If you say so,” I grumbled, stepiing closer to the cauldron. I glance over my shoulder at Twilight and Sunset, “Look, if this is some big giant scheme to cook and eat me-”

“-Oh for buck’s sake Schaden-” Sunset started.

“If you overcook me I will haunt every kitchen you ever set foot- or hoof -in,” I finished, propping myself on the edge of the cast iron death tub. I was just looking for a good angle to heave my now four-limbed body into the pot when Zecora grabbed me by the flank and tilted me in headfirst with one hoof. I jad just enough time to wonder how the hell strong she actually was before my body registered the while hot part of Zecora’s instructions. I came up for air a second later. “SWEET FIXER CHRIST IN A ROCKET MANGER THAT’S TOASTY!”

The girls looked more than a little amused with themselves. “God I wish I’d brought a video camera. This might be the most satisfying thing I’ve seen all day.”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “What, a skinny horse twink shaking his mane in a magical bathtub?”

“And now you’ve ruined it,” Sunset groaned. “Congratulations, the phrase ‘skinny horse twink’ is now scarred into my subconscious like a wood burnt kitchen sign.”

I had lined up another sarcastic comment, as was my wont, when I noticed a distinct humming from my bejeweled arm. Foreleg. Whatever. The entire thing was humming. “Uh, Zecora?” I asked tentatively, holding the buzzing limb aloft. “Is it... supposed to do that?”

Zecora inspected the foreleg, now rumbling slightly, as if full of a bunch of angry bees, and took a few steps back. “I believe the potion is taking effect, if my understanding of this mixture is correct,” she said happily, eyeing the now furiously shaking limb, “Although it is not negating the spell, I believe this experiment will end well. Schadenfreude, I do wish you good luck, to the rest of the room, one word for you: DUCK!” she yelled, and dove-tackled the other two mares.

I was about to ask why, when my shoulder felt for all the world like I’d held a shotgun wrong while firing, as the band shot off my hoof with all the enthusiasm and force of a gauss rifle slug who was just so happy to be here, dammit, crossing the room and carving a hole in the basement wall in an alarmingly short amount of time.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the physics equation, I was launched out of the cauldron at shoulder-braking speed, landing squarely between a workdesk and an electric coil. “SCHADEN!” Twilight and Sunset yelled.

I felt myself slide down the wall, almost comically, landing gently on the floor, with the image of three ponies running at me with worried expressions before I blacked out.”

----------

I slowly woke to the kind of soreness reserved for the day after hauling logs or moving house. “Hrrmmmfugoinoner?” I felt myself grumble, well before any other part of my body had come to. My eyes slowly slid open, once again reacquainting themselves with satan’s daughter’s color scheme. I noticed three of the brightly colorful things in my immediate field of view were moving, and... staring at me.

“Oh thank Celestia you’re awake,” Twilight sighed in relief.

Sunset nodded. “Yeah, good to have you back. How are you feeling?”

“Remember that time I asked Bulk Biceps for a backrub?” I groaned.

Sunset flinched a little. “That bad, huh?”

“No, I’m saying I’m starting to miss that,” I grunted, sliding towards the edge of the bed. Or, I started too, till my shoulder screamed in protest. I glanced at it, and saw the new sling it was in. I felt a surge of joy at the absence of the bracelet, as part of me had worried it would find it’s way back from the wall. A surge midly dimmed by the fact that my arm was probably broken, and significantly diminshed by the observation that “I’m still a bucking girl?!”

Sunset and Twilight flinched. Zecora, who I was slowly sensing was a bit more pragmatic, and possesing a better bedside manner, stepped in quickly, “Removing the band was priority one; be glad that at least that much is done. Magic no longer electrocutes you, and now we can do a more thorough review. We now only need to unravel this curse, be grateful that things had not gotten worse.”

I shook my head slowly. “Oh don’t say that,” I grumbled. “So you’re saying I’m still changing? That’s wonderful. Gonna make having a broken arm just a ton of fun, I bet.”

Twilight smiled sheepishly. “Wellll...”

“Oh for buck’s sake what now?” I snapped.

“Good news and bad news, Douchehorse,” Sunset deadpanned, with a hint of a smile. “Good news is your arm’s not broken, just wildly dislocated. We popped it back into it’s socket, and healed some of the torn muscles, but walking around on that’s gonna... not happen for a while. Neither is the gender change thing.”

“But you said you got the bracelet off, and all that was left was the curse,” I said, slightly panicked.

“Correct,” Sunset exclaimed, “The curse that turned you into a girl. That was in effect when we got the bracelet off you. The bracelet that is now in a hundred pieces of shrapnel fifty feet into the ground. Sideways. Also the bracelet that was activating the countercurse we don’t know every hour. That’s some of the bad news. More of the good news is, because you no longer turn into ball lightning in the presence of magic, our options have now exponentially increased, as have our resources.”

She stopped talking, and I knew, I knew it was to get me to ask what the rest of the bad news was. Although, given her expression, and Twilight looking downright dour I wasn’t sure if the bad news was for me or her. “Alright, fine. I’ll bite. What’s the rest of the bad news?”

Twilight groaned. “While you were unconscious, we ran some more tests, now that we could. You’ve been out for almost a day, by the way, so you know. I was hoping to have an answer for you, or even have cured you entirely, before you woke up. Ideally, you’d have just come to in your own bed with a sling on your arm and your gender where you found it.”

“But...” I continued for her.

Heaving a sigh, she pressed on, “But all my tests came back inconclusive. I have no idea which gender bending spell -yesthereismorethanonedon’tgetmebuckingstarted- this is. And of course there’s only one other place in all of Equestria where I-we, can go for answers.”

Between Twilight’s progressing gloom, and Sunset’s smile-bordering-on-rictus, I was terrified to ask, “Where?”

“WE’RE GOING TO CANTERLOT!” Sunset yelled.