• Published 8th Feb 2021
  • 207 Views, 7 Comments

Fractured SOULS, Broken Hearts - TGMoonrose



Emerald Breeze, descendant of King Sombra, lived a peaceful life, but then one day everything went wrong. Now, she must try to find the will to live after what she did. Hopefully, a few ponies she meets can help out.

  • ...
 7
 207

5: Dance of Illusions Part 1 - Trixie Lulamoon

Journal Entry 79: After yesterday, Twilight has decided to introduce me to her friend group today. I can’t wait! But... at the same time, I don’t want to mess up and ruin her friendships. She’s decided to start sleeping in my room with me, so that she can help comfort me if I wake up in the night again. It’s nice to have somebody care for me, despite what I’ve done. So, I’ll put aside my doubts and meet Twilight’s friends. I’ll write again soon.

-Emerald Breeze


Date: 11/3/2022
Time: 0700
Location: Sparkle Family House, Sun Side, Canterlot, Equestria.


Emerald’s eyes fluttered open, desperately fighting against the rays of sunlight peeking in through the window, and she instinctively curled closer to the source of warmth next to her.

“Sis,” Twilight murmured, nudging Emerald, “We need to get up, or we’ll miss school.”

“You’re right.” Emerald replied, blinking the sleepiness from her eyes, “Besides, I need to meet your friends today, right?”

“Yep!” Twilight responded, a smile on her face, “Now get up, or else we’ll miss breakfast!”

“Fine.” Emerald groaned, before the two got out of the bed, “You wouldn’t happen to have some form of meat though, would you?”

“Why would we have meat?” Twilight inquired, a confused look on her face, “We’re Unicorns, so we can’t eat much of it, so it wouldn’t make sense for us to have it.”

“Oh...” Emerald replied, her face falling, and her eyes tearing up a little, “Well... my mom was a Pegasus, so we had a lot of meat at home.”

“I...” Twilight trailed off, “I didn’t mean to bring back any bad memories. We don’t have any meat here, sorry.”

“It’s fine, I’ll just have the leftovers from dinner last night.” Emerald responded.

“Uhhh...” Twilight started, confusion clear on her face, “Don’t you eat stuff like cereal? Or bacon? Or any breakfast food?”

“I eat muffins, hashbrowns, and breakfast burritos, but other than that, I don’t eat ‘breakfast foods’.” Emerald answered.

“O-oh.” Twilight stammered, at a loss for words, “Alright then.”

“Come on, then!” Emerald exclaimed, “I’m hungry!”

“Okay, okay!” Twilight retorted, as they headed for the kitchen, where they ate, before getting ready for school and heading to school.


Time: 1200
Location: Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, Sun Side, Canterlot, Equestria


Emerald Breeze was ready for lunch, as she really wanted to meet her new sister’s friends, and was eagerly waiting for the bell to ring. As soon as the bell sounded, she immediately gathered her things, focused her magic, and then teleported to the lunch room, where she sat at a table, and waited for Twilight to arrive.

After a while, she noticed Twilight walk in with another Unicorn filly walking next to her. The filly had light blue fur, purple eyes, and a white-blue main with slightly darker stripes that reached her chest and curled at the end. On her back was a purple cape with stars of various colors, shapes, and sizes patterned on it. Emerald called out to Twilight, and she, along with her friend, trotted over to Emerald’s table.

“Hey, Twilight!” Emerald exclaimed.

“Hey, Emerald!” Twilight responded in kind, before gesturing to the filly next to her, “This is one of my friends, Trixie! Moon Dancer and Starlight unfortunately couldn’t make it, as they had other things they had to do, but you’ll meet them later.”

“Alright, that’s fine.” Emerald replied, before turning to Trixie, “It’s nice to meet you, Trixie! I’m Emerald Breeze!”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie is pleased to make your acquaintance.” Trixie stated, “Trixie has heard a lot about you from her great friend, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Do...” Emerald trailed off, confused, “Do you always speak in third-pony?”

“She doesn’t.” Twilight reassured her, “She only does it in public, so that she can keep up her façade of being an overconfident showmare.”

“Ah.” Emerald replied, “Well, what shows do you specialize in, then?”

“Trixie specializes in magic shows!” Trixie replied excitedly, before leaning over and whispering into Emerald’s ear, “Specifically, illusions created with magic. It’s what Trixie got her Cutie Mark in, after all!”

“You have your Cutie Mark?” Emerald inquired, surprised, “That’s really cool!”

“I have my Cutie Mark too, you know!” Twilight exclaimed, pouting, “I can’t believe you never noticed!”

“Oh, yeah...” Emerald responded, blushing a bit, “I noticed, but never actually asked what it meant.”

“I honestly don’t know what it means,” Twilight confessed, “Just that it appeared after my giant magic surge that hatched the dragon egg at the entrance exam.”

“You hatched it?” Emerald asked, “Wow, that’s cool! Where’s the dragon, though?”

“He’s with Princess Celestia right now, as she wanted to keep him for now.” Twilight responded, “But at least I get to see him during my lessons with her.”

“You...” Emerald trailed off, stunned, “You’re Princess Celestia’s personal student?!”

“Oh, you didn’t know?” Twilight questioned, “I meant to tell you, but I guess I forgot.”

“Is...” Emerald stuttered, “Is there anything else surprising I need to know?”

“Not that I can think of right now.” Twilight responded.

“O-okay.” Emerald replied, shocked, “A-anyways, what kinds of illusions do you do, Trixie?”

“Just simple ones for now, like smoke, projections, and slight physical changes, such as mane color.” Trixie answered, “In fact, this cape is actually just a lasting projection I created, so that it can’t get damaged.”

“Dang.” Emerald stated, “That’s still pretty powerful. All I’m good at is my limited SOUL Magic and Dark Magic.”

“Y-you can use Dark Magic?” Trixie stammered, fear entering her voice.

“Oh, crap.” Emerald muttered, “Uh... yeah, I can. I promise I won’t hurt you? Look, I’ve been practicing it with my dad since I was able to cast, so I can control it better than most.”

“If...” Trixie trailed off, doubt present in her voice, “If you’re sure, then I’ll give you a chance.”

“Okay, thanks.” Emerald replied, grateful, “It’s rare for ponies to give others second chances, especially if they’re different from most.”

“Anyways,” Trixie continued, “What’s that ‘SOUL Magic’ you were talking about?”
“Yeah,” Twilight stated, “I’ve never heard about it, and I’ve studied every book on magic I could find.”

“It’s a kind of ancient, forgotten magic used by the ancient ponies.” Emerald replied, “It used to be extremely common, but has since been lost to the sands of time, with only a few families still remembering its existence, and even fewer actually still practicing said magic.”

“But how does it work?” Twilight and Trixie asked simultaneously.

“How about I show you after school, alright?” Emerald responded, “It’s can get a bit complicated, and might take a bit of time.”

“Sure!” Trixie answered, excited.

“Besides, you should be able to meet Moon Dancer, then!” Twilight stated, mirroring Trixie’s excitement.

“Alright, let’s head back to our classes, then!” Emerald exclaimed, “I think the bell’s going to ring soon, anyway.”

After that, the three Unicorn fillies packed up their lunch bags, and then split up to go to class.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed the newest chapter of Fractured SOULs, Broken Hearts! We have revealed the origin of Emerald’s powers, as well as introduced this story’s version of Trixie! She won’t be nearly as egotistical all the time, only in public, since the “boasting” is a great way to get more money and grow her show’s audience. In the next chapter, we will meet this story’s version of Moon Dancer, as well as see a proper demonstration of SOUL Magic! See you next time!

-EmeraldBreeze777

(P.S. Yes, Emerald is a Blank Flank for now, but she will get her Cutie Mark soon)
(P.P.S. Editing Chapters on the mobile version of Fimfiction is a bit of a hassle.)

Comments ( 2 )

T'was a good chapter

Login or register to comment