• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 1,756 Views, 79 Comments

The Ponies and the Ninth - Comrade_Derpy



When a Roman Cohort appears in Equestria, Shining has to act. But has he made a horrible mistake?

  • ...
6
 79
 1,756

3: The Eagle's new home

Equestria, Unknown

Shield Bearer was a simple guard. He never asked for much in life, just a simple view on things, loving family, and a roof over their head. He joined the guard to make up for his aggressive attitude in childhood and shameful mistreating of the ponies he loved. He had atoned for just that. Rising up the ranks and proving his worth he eventually became a part of the canterlot guard, the elite of all the Royal Guard. This time, however, he was not in Canterlot; his gilded armour reflected in Celestias sunlight and a long shafted spear was slung over his back as he trotted though the lush forest of the Everfree.

He was humming a small tune while he did so, something he heard in a bar one night after a few drinks with friends... somehow it just stuck. he pushed his helmet up again, for him it was far to big. His fault for dropping his over the cliff of Canterlot. this was one of a retired guard, Who must have clearly been working out...far to much in Bearer's opinion.

It was around this time the world seemed to go from straight to vertical and the ground seemed to get closer and closer until his muzzle impacted onto the hard ground. His helmet slowly rolled off and down a small hill, the blue crest snapping off as it descended.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no. Not the replacement, too!" He groaned picking himself up off the ground. He glanced to his left, shaking himself of any loose dust and dirt

"And my spear. Glorious." he sighed sarcastically, looking around for the culprit. It was then that he noticed a shiny glint poking out of the ground. The unicorn guard made his way over, making sure to keep an eye out for any traps or movemen. He was out here because of the risk of changelings, after all, and was not too keen on getting caught unarmed. Coming closer he began to notice the shape of a... wing? Getting closer still, he began to notice it more clearly.

An Eagle, half buried and cast from...

"Gold." His face lit up and his ears perked up, his tale waggled much like that of a dog. His horn sparked up as a blue aura surrounded it and the half buried Eagle. With little effort it slipped out from its old home, the mud not offering much resistance to the guard-pony. With his magic keeping it in the air he inspected it. A dirty but amazingly sculpted gold eagle looking right and stood on a perch that connected it to a long wooden shaft.

It was at this point his thoughts conflicted. Take it and sell the eagle for money? Perhaps he would get quite a sum of bits for this thing, but at the same time this could perhaps be something important. After all, who decides to craft something like this just to put it here. No, he would take it with him to Canterlot and turn it in to the Capitan, he would know what to do.

With his decision made, he headed off towards Ponyville.

Canterlot
Two hours later

Shield Bearer arrived at the mighty, moat protected gate of Canterlot, although he was slowly starting to doubt his decision. Using his magic he again looked at it, twisting it to get a good look. The Eagle stared back at him with hollow, empty, golden eyes. What secrets did it hold, and why did Shield Bearer feel so unnerved carrying it? It felt dark and most certainly had a story behind it. What kind of story? He could only wonder wonder.

He sighed once again, huffing towards the main gate. After checking with the guards there he slowly trotted inside and up a set of stairs marked "Military access only." With these he would bypass the city and market districts, and avoid uneasy stares from the mass. He trotted through small passageways and into a large courtyard covered in fine gravel. Surrounded by several guards in formation stood Shining Armor, drilling the ponies to fight in organised formation.

"Greetings, captain."

He turned smiling, tilting his head "Hello Shield. Since when were guards being issued those?" His smile turned into a small smirk as he inspected the golden object.
"Funny sir." He replied unamused. "Its... something. It looks like a golden eagle. I found it in the Everfree, but I have no idea what it's for... you got a clue?" using his magic Shield Bearer hovered it over to Shining, who took it from him with his own blue aura of magic. Shining carefully inspected it.
"Well its not a spear. If I used one of these, it would be for a celebration. I think it might be a military standard of sort, although it's certainly not Equestrian."

"What is it then? Griffon, Dragon, Changeling?"

"None, I've never seen anything like it before" Shining said rotating it around several times.

"So what's the call for it? Throw it away? Museum?" Shield asked, tilting his head.

"Better, watch" He turned, signalling for the guards to disperse and that drills were over before turning back to Shield "This way". Shield followed shining for a few minutes as they arrived over the white stone gates of Canterlot. Shining smiled before planing the Eagle, perching it and the wooden shaft high over the gate "Ta-da, now we have this cool thing marking the gate."

"Sir...i don-"

"Its gold, Shield, and its an Eagle. what more do you want?" Smirked shining

"I... fine."

The Everfree Forest
An hour later

Varius gasped, shooting up from the ground with his hand grasping his chest. Looking down he realised there was no stab wound, no injury. Just his lorica segmentata armour, and his amazingly intact helmet. He began to inspect himself, and quickly found everything in order. Glancing around he saw a MASSIVE change of environment. Gone were the corpses of battle and the rain socked bogs of the Caladonian glen, and in it's stead was a clearing in a forest with several tents, and a fire slowly flickering in the middle. Sitting unarmoured was Sextus, prodding the fire several times with another stick to keep it burning. A few other men sat around eating something that Varius couldn't make out.

To the side of the clearing stood Marius and Publius, arguing and pointing into the forest. Several more men lied in their tents sleeping, or simply sitting down, writing on wax tablets. Looking up he saw there was no rain. Just the sun and a blue sky with no clouds. Pulling himself to his feet Varius sluggishly walked over to the fire, sitting down beside Sextus. He took his helmet off and placed it carefully on the grass.

"I see you're awake now Centurio." Sextus happily commented before handing him some bread. Varius accepted it appreciatively.
Chewing on the bread he nodded "Aye, where are we?"

"I want to say the land of fairy's and legends, but I doubt it." Sextus replied. Leaning back slightly on the log he had "occupied" for the glory of himself. "We're not in Caledonia now, and look" He pulled up a Gladius "I found my sword... strangely. I woke up with it this morning" He looked up thinking back to the moment he lost it. It was not exactly his brightest idea trying to throw his sword at a squirrel.

"Why is Mister wolfskin-head and Publius fighting again?" Varius replied ignoring much of Sextus' "thank you" speech to his sword.

"Nothing much, mainly because Publius lost the eagle."

There came that painfully long silence again. "...Say that again."

"The Eagle? He lost it. We woke up and BAM, it was missing."

The next couple of seconds involved Publius on the floor, chocking for air while Varius gripped his neck. Marius and Sextus attempted to pull him off "You damn idiot, how could you lose that thing! I'll throttle you! you idiot!" Sextus pulled him by the legs, along with Marius, while Publius scrambled to his feet and up the nearest tree.

"That Centurion is not touching me again! Keep him away!" screamed the now talking tree that hid the Roman Signifier. "He tried to gnaw at my legs!"

"Varius" Sextus said, pinning him "You don't understand."

"Then enlighten me soldier, why must I not go up that tree after him."

Marius appeared to the right carrying a Golden helmet and broken crest

"Because, Centurio. We're not alone...."

Author's Note:

Well aint I just throwing these chapters out at you.

I wanted to get our Romans into equestia as soon as possible. again I've double checked it but im sure some errors would have escaped me again, hopefully there noticed by you guys or there small things that don't effect it much

But here you go!