• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 16,626 Views, 1,222 Comments

My Little Behemoth: Friendship is more than Food - Kishin



Just because you're a 3-ton Changeling Behemoth doesn't mean that you can't have friends.

  • ...
42
 1,222
 16,626

Big, Dumb Animals

BOOM

Applejack cracked open one of her eyes. A deep rumbling had started to enter her ears. It's probably nothing. There hasn't been a tremor in Equestria for....how many years?

Her thoughts were interrupted by sounds of creaking from the house's foundations and the rocking back and forth of her bedroom's furniture and herself.

Applejack had soon become shaken up from the violent vibrations that shook her house and her bed, and had even found herself being tossed up out of bed and onto the wooden flooring.

"It's a tremor!" she realized. She started to steady herself and sprint out of her bedroom when the quake had stopped as abruptly as it began. She heard some hoove-steps clop up the stairs and arrive near her room in a hurry. Big Macintosh, abnormally more verbal than he was in the past, crashed into her room and shouted, "Applejack, ya alright?"

"Ah'm fine. How's Applebloom and Granny Smith?"

"Granny Smith is.....well, Granny Smith. Applebloom is out with her friends at Rarity's. Ah'll go visit town and see if she's alright."

"Now now. Steady there, Big Mac. You're the one injured. Ah'll go." Applejack lumbered out of the room and steadily fumbled down the stairs.

"Applejack, you were the one workin' all day. Ya can't even trot properly. Rest, Ah'll go. Applebloom is as much of a sister ta me than she is ta you." Big Mac worriedly stated.

"But-"

"No, buts. Just stay on tha couch. I don't want ya to strain yourself for the rest of the day. The Princesses said that they would help ya out. And they are. Just relax." Big Mac guided his sister to the couch and made her lie down. Big Mac trotted out of the house quickly, not wanting to deal with Applejack's stubborn nature for a second longer.

The house became silent again. To Applejack, today was just peculiar. Not only had BOTH princesses just visited her farm with a giant farming mechanism crate, but for the first time in....lets just say a very, very long time, there had been a natural quake.

Her mind tiredly pushed away the events of her rather strange day, and collapsed onto the couch. Her head collided with the small mass of pillows on one side of the upholstery. Ah'll deal with all this tomorrow.

However, just as she began to close her eyes, a series of repetitive knocks on the door made Applejack wince and moan in exasperation. Right, when Ah was about to get some shut-eye? This better be good.

"Come in," Applejack murmured.

The door was almost ripped out of its place, when an extremely distressed pastel-yellow pegasus burst through the doorway and plotted a collision course with Applejack's sore body. The yellow blur slowed down on top of the orange earth mare and started to mumble quite shyly.

Applejack had never heard anypony's voice speak so quickly, yet quietly in her life until that moment.

"Applejack! I need your help! I can't find my birds. One moment they were there and the ground started to shake and I turned around and they all flew away and I want to find them ohpleaseohpleasecanyouhelpmefindthem?" the pegasus' serene voice blurted. "They might get hurt, or maybe some brutal carnivore would start to eat them! I don't want them to die!"

The poor pegasus was heaving her chest as if she had just ran a marathon. Applejack had almost never seen Fluttershy use her wings to fly that fast, and with her dilated pupils and frisked, frayed mane, Fluttershy looked all the more desperate.

"Fluttershy, Ah'm sorry but-"

Applejack cut herself off when she saw glittering tears start to gather in her dear friend's eyes.

Aw shucks. There goes mah day off.

"Alright. Ah'll help you. What are friends for?"

"Oh thank you, thank you SOOOOO much. I feel so much more better right now!" A sad, slightly relieved beam began to form on Fluttershy's once terrified facial expression. The smile faded away shortly, leaving behind a downcast look of concern.

"I just hope that they're safe."





Cyr had set a full barrel down onto a wagon with his teeth. That should be the last one for this field. Let's go to the next one.....again.

As he trotted off into the next enclosure, he sighed. He never wanted his surroundings to be this quiet. Silence often left him inside his own thoughts, and the more time he spent outside his memories, the better. But at least he had work to preoccupy him...until the Princesses decide what to do with him next. You can't just let a Changeling that had just attempted to, as in modern slang, "lay a beat-down on one of the Royal Sisters" go without real punishment. He had even looked forward to Luna's "option". Sure it was a bit too morbid. But Cyr found that, with his four centuries of life experience, Death had a great way of making you feel eternally peaceful.

Lost in his bitter thoughts, he would have continued trotting along, but a twittering of birds had bothered him. Not that birds at this time of day weren't normal, but the frequency and the sheer amount of noise could only represent panic.

Cyr wandered into the countryside not far from the fields towards the source when he found a tree quite near the Everfree Forest. The sole tree was literally and unnaturally covered in hundreds of individual avian animals. He couldn't see why the birds hadn't just flown away until he saw a pack of canines made out of wood snapping at the birds.

Cyr had found himself overcome with conflicting emotion. He was a firm believer in survival of the fittest. Nature has to regulate itself in certain specific areas, whether anyling or anypony likes it or not. And the Everfree Forest was one of them. If he stopped the timberwolves from getting their meal, they, and their cubs, would starve.

But he caught himself in the observations that the birds were quite....innocent. They seemed well-cared for and unfamiliar with the surrounding area, almost as if they were pets that were accidentally lost. Thus explaining why they clung together on a single tree. They were probably familiar with eachother.

Sigh. Let's just get this over with.

"Ahem," Cyr growled. "Return to where you have come, young wolves. Or you will soon find yourselves unbecoming to even be firewood."

The distracted pack made way for the alpha male. The fierce timberwolf barked in anger towards Cyr, to stay away from their kill. Their property.

And Cyr barked back. Except make that less of a bark and more of a 200 decibal sonic roar.

For further emphasis, he hooved at the ground, breaking a thick, fallen branch with a dull thud.

Oh, that got 'em running.

The pack leader, understanding Cyr's message, whimpered and fled into the Everfree Forest with its tail between its legs. The rest of the timberwolf pack eventually followed.

Cyr looked towards the birds hiding themselves on their tree sanctuary, and motioned for them to go.

"Go on. It's safe now."

They didn't budge, nor was a single chirp announced. They would only shake with fear.

Cyr sighed, "Fine. I'll go. But you need to get back home to your owner, if you have one."

He turned and trotted away, and Cyr began to return to the fields. After several minutes of walking, he started to hear a weak hum behind him.

He turned. There was nothing there. Only an empty dirt pasture.

"Wierd."

He continued his journey, only to hear the humming again.

"Indeed, my mind is growing duller and duller by the second." Cyr mumbled. "Oh well, schitzophrenia can't be that bad."

The humming continued, this time accompanied with small taps to his noggin. Cyr lifted his head and saw a lone hummingbird.

"Well, aren't you a brave one? Did you fly here all the way from that tree?"

The hummingbird nodded. Yup, I'm crazy. I'm starting to think that animals can actually understand me.

"Do you not know where your home is?"

The hummingbird shook his head and shrugged the universal "I-have-no-clue" signal.

"Well, I'm traveling to a nearby apple farm to work. Is the apple farm familar to you?"

The hummingbird nodded its beak enthusiastically and had impossibly flexed the sides of its beak in a relieved smile.

"Would you like me to take you there?"

Again the hummingbird nodded, but raised an objective wing. It whistled and out popped from the fields the mass of birds he had encountered eariler.

"Well, then." Cyr remarked. "The more the merrier I guess." They started to hop onto his carapace and head as Cyr began to walk further down the dirt pasture, with apple fields distantly calling to him.





After about 15 minutes of walking, or according to Cyr's extreme guess-timation of how long he had trotted, he entered into the respective field he had worked on. Many of the birds, knowing their way from there, flew away. But some, curiously, stayed behind and remained on Cyr's head and carapace as he began to work.

Cyr, noticing his guests, asked them, "Don't you want to leave with the others?"

Many of them shook their heads or shrugged, except for one woodpecker that started to hammer its beak into Cyr's head.

"Fine I guess. And you there, I only have so much chitin on my head. Don't drill a hole in it."

The woodpecker nodded, but slyly and slowly returned to his task when Cyr wasn't looking.





As Celestia's sun began to set, Fluttershy couldn't bear it anymore. Her fearful whimpers turned into cries of despair. It grated Applejack's pride that she couldn't do anything more to help her friend.

"Don't worry, sugarcube. Ah'm sure they'll be fine."

"They haven't returned to me yet. They always return to me," Fluttershy blubbered.

She stopped in her tracks and fell on her flank. Fluttershy hid her face with her hooves.

"I'm a horrible caretaker! They always were there for me, but I was never there for them!" she sobbed. "I don't know what to do!"

Applejack couldn't take it anymore. "Fluttershy, HUSH! That attitude ain't gonna help ya look for 'em. Out there, your birds are struggling ta find ya. What will crying do? Nothing. Now Ah'm prepared ta help ya through this, but only if ya can help yourself. Ah'll stay with you looking for 'em through the night, but you need ta get a hold of yourself!"

After a while, and several futile attempts to calm herself, Fluttershy finally managed to whisper, "Okay Applejack. I'll stay (sniff) strong. Thank you." Fluttershy hugged her.

"It's not a problem. Now let's get a move on. We're burning daylight."





Cyr had finished up gathering the last of the apples in the fields with only the moonlight to guide him. Changelings didn't need to sleep as long as ponies, but Cyr managed to make himself exhausted. The majority of the birds, even the sneaky little woodpecker, had started to make nests in the holes in Cyr's hooves and on the ridges of his carapace to sleep in. But a few, like the adorable, little hummingbird, stayed up with Cyr all night, even helping Cyr gather a few apples.

With only a last couple pools of apples to go, Cyr tiredly whispered to the hummingbird, "Rest. I think you've helped me far more than you ever could have dreamed of today. Thank you."

The hummingbird began to resist, but a mute yawn and a severe decrease in wing-flapping were signs of its over-exertion. It flew up and snuggled itself right behind Cyr's horn.

Cyr shoveled the last apples into a half-full barrel, and as he trekked on his last time back to the wagon-loads of apple barrels, primed and ready for their delivery, a wandering thought floated through his tired, sluggish conscious.

In nature, birds of small stature regularly gravitated their habitance and interactions towards larger, more aggresive-looking pack mammals in the wild. He had just experienced today, a similar grouping of that behavior. He used to notice that small birds were attracted by the presence of larger, and rather stupid animals. Cyr realized that, therefore, he was a big, dumb animal.

His reasoning, if actually possible, irritated itself.

He chuckled and partially hated his self-logic for the inference.


Cyr shuffled around for a spot to rest, finally spotting a rather large apple tree. He lay himself down on his stomach and looked to the heavens. He had always enjoyed watching the moon rise. There was something solemn about seeing a ghostly, white orb jettison being pulled into the midnight, oily sky.

As Cyr closed his visual receptors, he noted that the moon was ever so beautiful tonight.








In Applejack's eyes, Fluttershy was a mess. Her mane looked like somepony had attempted to attack it with a rake, her swollen, damp eyes had a blank, heavy stare, and her hooves dragged themselves through the dirt. She couldn't cry anymore, as there weren't anymore tears left for her to release.

"Look sugarcube, we can always look for 'em tomorrow." Applejack could almost hear her words echo throughout Fluttershy's mind. Hello? Anypony there?

"Ya can stay with me for the night. It's too late....I mean early for you to trot around all by yourself," Applejack corrected herself, as the sun was already starting to dawn across the horizon.

Fluttershy gave an empty smile and nodded. She walked ahead of Applejack and soon passed the apple trees. And there was a rather overgrown one, alongside multitudes of wagons of apple barrels.

Applejack walked towards the wagons.

"Holy smokes! Ah guess Ah won't have ta worry about applebuck season after all!"

Applejack, in her joy, couldn't see Fluttershy's despairing facial emotion until it was too late.

Fluttershy wailed loud enough to scare a few geese out of the Everfree Forest. She couldn't hold back her tear-ducts, and soon enough, her floodgates couldn't handle the pressure anymore.

She sniveled in light of Applejack's happiness. Feelings of guilt, anger, and betrayal had emerged and pained her heart to endure such a dynamic of emotion. The rage in her chest wouldn't stop, so all she could do was cry on Applejack's shoulder.

The tearful outbursts of Fluttershy had woken up a sleeping hummingbird near the large apple tree. It started to wake up, and recognizing the source of the voice as Fluttershy's, started to wander towards her.

The hummingbird flew up and landed on Fluttershy's crinkled nose and whistled a cheerful tune.

Fluttershy, stopped with an abrupt hiccup, and opened her blurry eyes. She saw her fellow hummingbird.

She gasped loudly. "You're here! You're still alive! I was so worried about you! Where are the others?"

The hummingbird....well, hummed how the rest were on the "large animal" (Fluttershy didn't understand this) or at the cottage.

"But what's this about a large animal?"

The hummingbird continued how an animal that worked at the fields during the day had rescued the birds from the timberwolves and brought them back to the farm.

"Well where is the animal working at the farm?"

Applejack interrupted. "Wait. It means the pony that helped me get in all of these apples for applebuck season? Well ah'll be. I have ta personally thank him for doing all this. Where is he?"

The hummingbird whispered in Fluttershy's ear.

"He says that it isn't a pony."

"Wha?"

"And he says that it's right over there."

Fluttershy fearfully pointed with her hoof at a breathing, matte-black mass next to the tree.

Reacting to the sudden noise, and ever the light sleeper, Cyr began to open his orange eyes.