• Published 24th Jan 2021
  • 10,638 Views, 616 Comments

Through the Eyes of Nightmare - Mister E-Nonymous



A boy from an orphanage in New York has had a tough life. He lost his parents when he was four, he got picked on by bullies in school, he got kidnapped and forced to steal a diamond, and now, he ends up in Equestria as a filly Nightmare Moon. Oh boy.

  • ...
40
 616
 10,638

Chapter 18

Chapter 18


Golden Oaks Library... Ponyville... Equestria... August 1st... 10:00 AM...

Twilight Sparkle was signing some papers with a mulberry coated Earth Pony mare. The mare's cutie mark was of three smiling flowers. Twilight then finished signing the papers.

"And... done," Twilight said. She then turned her head towards the mare. "Thank you for coming over, Cheerilee. I'm so glad that Moonlight will be able to go to school in a couple weeks."

"I'm glad to have a new student to join," Cheerilee replied. She then got a little guilty. "Even though I was a little surprised that my new student is a filly that looks like Nightmare Moon."

"Looks aren't everything," Twilight said. "Princess Celestia has come to inspect the filly herself when Moonlight first arrived here. Moonlight was brought to Equestria due to an unstable teleportation gem. It was originally designed to bring a pony to the Castle of the Two Sisters under the light of the full moon. But... there was a major side effect."

"A side effect?" Cheerilee asked.

"It turns the one who's being transported into an age equivalent of a monster," Twilight said. "After the transportation gem was a failure, the princesses decided to banish them to other worlds, hoping that they would be destroyed on impact. But sadly, one survived."

"That's terrible," Cheerilee said. "So, Moonlight is really a creature from another world?"

"She was also a creature of the opposite gender," Twilight said.

Cheerilee gasped. She then said, "Must've been a big change for the poor dear. Taken away from his home, changes made to him completely, not being able to return to his family."

"It gets worse," Twilight said. "His parents died when he was four years old, he was bullied in school, and not that long before arriving here, he was kidnapped to steal the diamond that sent him here in the first place."

"Oh, dear," Cheerilee said. "So that's why you adopted Moonlight. She needed a loving family."

"Yes," Twilight said. She then looked towards the window. "She had a tough life before. Now, she's just glad she has somepony who loves her."

"She sounds like she needs a loving family," Cheerilee said. "Where is Moonlight anyway?"

"Rainbow Dash is training her on using her wings," Twilight said. "Since she didn't have wings on her old world."

"That makes sense," Cheerilee said. "She does have to get used to her new features."


Park... Ponyville... Equestria... August 1st... 10:30 AM...

Rainbow Dash was finally teaching Moonlight to flap her wings. Moonlight was flapping her wings. Rainbow Dash was flapping her wings as much as Moonlight was. Fluttershy was watching.

"That's it, Moonlight," Rainbow said. "You're actually starting to fly."

"Wow," Moonlight said. "Who knew... flapping... was harder... than gliding?"

"I don't know," Rainbow said. "I was born with these wings."

"Well, I wasn't," Moonlight said. "Or a horn. Or a tail."

"Hey, I get it," Rainbow said. "C'mon. Get some rest. Besides, I'm gonna have to cut training short for today. I gotta get training."

"Training? For what?" Moonlight asked as the two of them landed.

Fluttershy walked up to the two. She looked at Moonlight and said, "Oh, that's right. You weren't here for the last Best Young Flyers competition."

"It's a competition where pegasi across Equestria compete to show off their awesome skills!" Rainbow continued. "And the winner gets to meet the Wonderbolts and gets crowned best flyer by Princess Celestia!"

"Really?" Moonlight asked. "Is there a certain age to enter?"

"Yeah," Rainbow said. "And a professional flyer. You're still a beginner. But, right now, I gotta train for the competition, and train Fluttershy to cheer for me." She then looked towards Fluttershy and asked, "Remember what you learned yesterday?"

"Loss of control," Fluttershy answered.

"Good," Rainbow said, nodding.

"Screaming and hollering," Fluttershy continued.

"Yes, and most importantly?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Passion!" Fluttershy answered.

"Right! So now that you know the elements of a good cheer, let's hear one," Rainbow Dash said to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy inhaled, and then quietly said, "Yay."

Rainbow Dash groaned and said, "You're gonna cheer for me like that? Louder."

"Yay," Fluttershy said again, but it wasn't loud. So, Rainbow tried again.

"Louder!"

"Yay."

"Louder!"

This time, Fluttershy took a long deep breath, and quietly exclaimed, "Yaaay."

Rainbow Dash groaned, face hoofed, and fell on her back.

Fluttershy looked down at Rainbow Dash and asked, "Too loud?"

"Actually, Fluttershy," Moonlight said. "I've heard a lot of cheering back in my world. None of them were as quiet as those times. That was actually quite... tame."

"Which wasn't what we were going for, Flutters!" Rainbow said. She then sighed, and said, "Let's get to try cheering for me while I'm practicing."

Rainbow Dash then flew up to the clouds to start her routine for the competition. She started doing a serpentine through some trees in a straight line. Then she started spinning around some clouds, making them spin. Then she flew up high into the sky.

Moonlight got confused and asked, "What's she doing?"

"Um... I don't know," Fluttershy said. "But I think it's part of her routine."

"Here we go," came Rainbow Dash's voice from above. "Phase three. The sonic rainboom." She then flew up and then coming down with a wind barrier in front of her.

"What's happening?" Moonlight asked, getting worried.

"Just... keep watching," Fluttershy said.

As they were watching, Rainbow Dash continued going down. But then, something made her stop in mid air. She then said, "Uh-oh." She was then flung back by the barrier, heading Northeast.

Moonlight looked over and gasped. She then said, "She's heading towards the library!" Then the two of them started following Rainbow Dash.


Golden Oaks Library... Ponyville... Equestria... August 1st... 10:20 AM...

Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rarity arrived at the Golden Oaks Library as Cheerilee was leaving. Twilight was walking her out as the three other mares arrived.

"Thanks again for letting Moonlight be apart of your class when school opens up, Cheerilee," Twilight said as she was walking Cheerilee out.

"No, I should be thanking you, Twilight Sparkle," Cheerilee said. "I hope that she is kind hearted as you say she is. And I'll make sure that my students will treat her with as much as any other foal in her class."

"Of course, Cheerilee," Twilight said. Cheerilee then left, passing the three mares. Twilight smiled and said, "Oh, good. You girls made it."

Applejack chuckled and asked, "Glad Ah sent Cheerilee here ta help ya get Moonlight registered?"

Twilight nodded and said, "Yes. Thank you for doing so, Applejack. Now, it's time we get the library reorganized." Then the four of them went back inside. "Okay. Now, the first thing to do is to get all the books off the shelves. Moonlight even gave me an idea. At her old school in her previous world, the school library was organized by different sections. Or, in this case, genres."

"Not a bad idea," Rarity said. "Alright, where should we start?"

Then the sound of Rainbow Dash screaming came to their attention, and Rainbow Dash came through and open window, and crashed into the center of the room. Then all the books on the shelves fell off, burying the pegasus.

"Well, that's one way of getting the books off the shelves," Pinkie said. Then the four of them started digging the books off of Rainbow Dash. She was then pulled out of the pile.

"Are you okay, Rainbow Dash?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Rainbow said. "Sorry about that, Twi."

"It's okay, Rainbow," Twilight said. "We were already going to reorganize the library."

Then Moonlight and Fluttershy ran into the library. Moonlight then noticed the place and said, "Whoa. Did Rainbow Dash do this, or are you all reorganizing?"

"Both," Twilight replied. "Also, Moonlight, I got you registered into school. You'll be heading to school after the Grand Galloping Gala."

"Well, that's good," Moonlight said.

"But, what are you all doing here?" Twilight asked. "Moonlight, shouldn't you be doing some flight training?"

"Had to cut it short today," Rainbow said. "I had to practice for the Best Young Flyers competition in Cloudsdale, and Fluttershy has to practice cheering for me when I do my performance."

"Oh, Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy said. "You know I'll be cheering as loud as everypony there. Yaaay. Go, Rainbow Dash. Woohoo."

"Still heard louder in the city I grew up in," Moonlight said.

"Moonlight's already started flapping her wings," Rainbow said. "But, she still needs practice if she's going to keep flying for at least 10 minutes. But, it's not enough for her to fly all the way to Cloudsdale for this competition. Plus, only pegasi and alicorns are the only ponies that can walk on clouds. Even though I wish you all could be there."

"What's that?" Twilight asked.

"It's where all the greatest Pegasus flyers get together and show off their different flying styles!" Pinkie Pie explained. "Some are fast!" She then made a car noise, going across the library fast. She then started doing a graceful dance, saying, "And some are graceful. Whoa, whoa, whoa!" She fell over, books burying over her.

"Golly. I'd love to see you strut yer stuff in that competition," Applejack said.

"Yeah. I wish you guys could be there," Rainbow Dash agreed. "Fluttershy's a great support, but her cheering isn't exactly inspirational."

Pinkie Pie then came out of the books, saying, "Ooh! I'd love to see you make a sonic rainboom! It's like, the most coolest thing ever! Even though I've never actually seen it, but I mean come on! It's a sonic rainboom! How not cool could it possibly not be?!"

Moonlight looked over at Rainbow and asked, "Was that what you were trying to do before you were launched like a slingshot?"

Rainbow Dash nodded and said, "Yep. I almost had it before ending up here. But I haven't done it since I was around your age, Moonlight. But, hopefully, I'll be able to pull it off at the competition."

"Yeah, but you're gonna do it again, right?" Pinkie Pie asked, eagerly.

"Are... you kidding?" Rainbow asked, nervously. But then she continued talking more confidently. "I'm the greatest flyer to ever come out of Cloudsdale! I could do sonic rainbooms in my sleep."

"Wow. If you pull that off, you'll win the crown for sure!" Twilight said, brightening up.

"The grand prize is an entire day with the Wonderbolts," Rainbow said, getting dreamy eyed. "A whole day of flying with my lifelong heroes... It'll be a dream come true!"

"Yay," Fluttershy said, quietly cheering for Rainbow Dash.

"I'm gonna go rest up," Rainbow Dash said, heading for the window. "Don't wanna over prepare myself, y'know." She then chuckled. Then she looked at Fluttershy. "You, on the other hand, better keep practicing. I need a cheering section to match my spectacular performance." Rainbow Dash then flew out the window.

"She's practiced that move a hundred times, and she's never even come close to doing it," Fluttershy said to the others. "I don't know if I can cheer loud enough to help her." She then flew out the window, following Rainbow Dash.

"Well, guess we're gonna have to start reorganizing," Twilight said.

"Well, we could do that," Rarity said. "Or, you could find a spell that can give us wings so we can go up to Cloudsdale to cheer Rainbow Dash on at the competition."

"What?!" Twilight asked. "Are you serious?"

Moonlight looked at the table and saw a notebook which had all the books listed and what genres they were in. She then said, "Mom, you basically got every book listed and every section they can go in."

Twilight thought about it and said, "Yeah, I guess we can get Spike and Stan to do the reorganizing. I already have the section signs put up. Now, let's see if I can find something."

Pinkie Pie then picked up a random book and read aloud, "A flight spell? One sec. Page twenty-seven."

Applejack got confused and asked, "How'd you do that?"

"It landed on my face when Rainbow Dash knocked me into the bookcase," Pinkie explained.

Twilight flipped through the pages to the page where the flight spell was. She then said, "Here it is! A spell that will allow Earth ponies to fly for three days." She then got a little worried. "Ooh, it looks really difficult... I'm not sure I can do it."

"You've got to try!" Rarity said, proudly.

Twilight thought about it and said, "Okay... But who's gonna volunteer to be the test subject?" She then looked over at Moonlight and said, "Besides you. You already have wings."

Moonlight then looked at her left wing, unfolding it. She then said, "Guess that makes sense."

Twilight then looked over at the others. They were all nervous until Rarity spoke up, saying, "I will! For Rainbow Dash, I will go first."

Twilight looked at the book and memorized the spell. She then said, "Here goes." She then lit up her horn, and blue energy surrounded Rarity. Then for a brief moment, the room went completely dark, and when the lights came on, Twilight was exhausted and Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Moonlight were awestruck. Twilight was exhausted as she said, "I think it worked!"

They were all looking at Rarity, who had beautiful butterfly wings. Moonlight then looked at Twilight and asked, "Mom? Are you alright?"

"I'm... I'm fine, Moonlight," Twilight said. "Just tired. I just... need to... do... the spell... again."

"No way, Mom," Moonlight said. "You're too tired. Isn't there a more simpler spell?" Moonlight then took the book in her magic and read it. She then asked, "There's a cloud walking spell?"

Twilight looked towards Moonlight and asked, "A cloud walking spell? Let... me... see that." Moonlight then turned the book over to show Twilight the spell. Twilight read it and said, "This spell doesn't seem as powerful as the flight spell."

"Ya couldn't have done that first?" Applejack asked.

"But, how are we going to get to Cloudsdale to cheer Dashie on?" Pinkie asked.

Moonlight then looked out the window and saw the hot air balloon landing. She smirked and said, "I think I have an idea."


Outside Cloudeseum Stadium... Cloudsdale... Equestria... August 1st... 11:00 AM...

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy arrived in Cloudsdale. But at first, Rainbow was telling Fluttershy to be more assertive when a certain things comes up. But then some bullies from their foalhood came in and tried to bring down Rainbow's spirit, telling her that she'll never be able to pull off a sonic rainboom because it doesn't exist. Fluttershy tried standing up for Rainbow. The bullies then left, making Rainbow Dash feel bad. But then she and Fluttershy got a huge surprise.

"Rarity! Are you... flying?!" Rainbow Dash asked, seeing Rarity with butterfly wings.

"I most certainly am!" Rarity replied. "Aren't my wings smashing?! Twilight made them for me. I just adore them!" Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were astonished by Rarity's wings. "Why so shocked? We couldn't leave our favorite flyer without a big cheering section!"

"'We'?" Rainbow asked.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash!" came Moonlight's voice. The two pegasi looked over and saw Moonlight running up to them.

"Moonlight?" Rainbow asked. "How'd you get up here? You don't have enough energy to fly all the way here." Moonlight then pointed her right foreleg towards the balloon, which had Twilight, Applejack and Pinkie Pie in it. They then explained that they came up to Cloudsdale, with a cloud walking spell. Then Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy decided to give the five of them a tour of Cloudsdale.


Weather Factory... Cloudsdale... Equestria... August 1st... 12:30 PM...

Rainbow Dash was taking the gang on a tour of the Cloudsdale Weather Factory. Starting with the room where they made the snowflakes. The Mane 6 and Moonlight were wearing special protective gear.

"This is where they make the snowflakes," Rainbow said. "Each one is hoofmade. As you can see, it's a delicate operation."

"Ooh, the snowflakes look even better from up here," Rarity said as was flapping her wings, which were sending the snowflakes flying all over the room. Some pegasus ponies were yelling and grumbling when trying to catch the snowflakes.

"We better move on before Rarity ruins winter and causes a drought," Rainbow said, leading them out of the snowflake room.

Moonlight then said, "This world has way different weather than my world."

"Really?" Rainbow asked. "Who controls the weather in your world?"

"Nobody," Moonlight said. "The weather does it on its own. Same with the sun and the moon."

"Wait, what?!" the Mane 6 asked.

"Wow," Twilight said. "A world where the sun and moon move on their own, along with the weather?"

"Yep," Moonlight said. "Although, are rainbows here any different? According to one of the caretakers at the orphanage, when water or steam goes across sunlight, it makes a rainbow."

"Well, I'm glad you asked that," Rainbow Dash said. "We're about to head there anyway." Then the seven of them went into one room.

Rainbow Dash then looked over somewhere to see the bullies that picked on her earlier admiring Rarity's wings. When they saw Rainbow Dash, they made fun of her, again. The bullies then left, and Rarity tried cheering Rainbow up by saying that they were just admiring her butterfly wings. It didn't work. Fluttershy then started to cheer Rainbow up, saying that she'll win by pulling off the sonic rainboom. Rainbow doubted herself, saying that she couldn't do it.

Rainbow then took them into the room where the ponies make the clouds, but the pegasi there were astonished by Rarity's wings. Then one of them suggested that Rarity should sign up for the Best Young Flyers competition. That made Rainbow Dash worry that she wouldn't be able to win the competition at all.


Cloudeseum... Cloudsdale... Equestria... August 1st... 1:30 PM...

Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Moonlight were in line to head into the Cloudeseum to watch the competition. Twilight looked over at the others with a smile.

"Remember," Twilight said. "We're all here to support Rainbow Dash."

"Ah still can't believe that Rarity got talked inta entering the competition," Applejack complained. "She completely forgot about wantin' ta support Rainbow, that her attention was taken by the pegasi here."

"Better her than me," Moonlight said. "Her wings prevented the ponies here from seeing me as... well..." Then some shade was cast over her. Moonlight looked down to see the shade and got confused. "Hey, what's blocking the..." Moonlight then turned to see what was blocking the sunlight, and was surprised, like the other four, to see Princess Celestia and two of her pegasus guards standing behind her.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Applejack said, shocked. Then the four of them quickly bowed.

"Rise, my little ponies," Princess Celestia said. She then looked down at Moonlight and smiled. "I'm surprised to see you here as well, Moonlight." She then looked over at Twilight and asked, "Found a cloud walking spell?" Twilight nodded. "I was wondering why you were all up here. Come to support Rainbow Dash who is competing in this competition?"

"Yes we are, Princess," Twilight said, walking towards her and stopping right next to Moonlight. "But, things have been... complicated."

"Complicated?" Princess Celestia asked.

"Let's just say there were some stallions making fun of Rainbow Dash's wings," Moonlight said.

Princess Celestia sighed and said, "That is clearly a violation of the rules of the competition. No negative comments towards another competitor before or during the competition. It is punished by an instant disqualification, and shall not compete in the competition. What are their names?"

"We didn't get their names," Twilight said. "Although, one of them was light brown with a brown mane, and his Cutie Mark was of three basketballs."

"Another one was dark brown with a gray mane, and his mark was a set of weights," Applejack added.

"And the last one was a grayish blue pony with an almost black mane and his mark was of three footballs," Moonlight said.

Princess Celestia nodded and said, "I shall see to those stallions personally." She then smiled and said, "You all shall accompany me and my guards in the stadium." The four mares and Moonlight nodded, and all of them went inside.

When the competition started, Rainbow Dash was more nervous than ever. She then started swapping her number card with competitors passing by. Rarity didn't compete yet either, saying that she was getting ready. Rainbow Dash then overheard one of the bullies from before.

"What do you mean we're not allowed to compete?!" the bully known as Hoops complained.

"You all made fun of Rainbow Dash, who happens to be one of Equestria's heroes," a judge said. "So, you three won't be competing in the competition." Then the three of them were being pushed out by security pegasi. The bullies then saw Rainbow Dash.

"Rainbow Crash!" Hoops said. "Help! Tell them they shouldn't be doing this!"

Rainbow Dash then went from worried, to confused, and then went to anger. She then snapped. "My name... is Rainbow... Dash! Get that through your head!" The bullied were then thrown out of the building. Rainbow Dash then sighed. She then said, "I can do this. I can... perform the... Sonic... Rainboom... Oh, I can't do this!" Rainbow Dash then went back to her panic state.


Golden Oaks Library... Ponyville... Equestria... August 1st... 9:00 PM...

Twilight was walking towards the entrance to the library with Moonlight on her back. Moonlight was really tired. Twilight smiled down at the filly.

"Alright, Moonlight," Twilight said. "It's bedtime for you."

Moonlight then nodded. Then something came to her mind. She then asked, "Mom? What about the books in the library? We left it a mess."

"Oh, I had Spike and Stan handle that," Twilight said. "I left them the notes to handle all the organization we left for them to do when we were gone." Then Twilight opened the door and saw that all of the books there were in their proper place. And in the middle of the room, Spike was leaning on Stan, both of them asleep. And in Spike's claws, there was a book. The book was titled, "Nyx of the Night". Twilight smiled, took the book out of Spike's claws, and then put the book on it's proper place on one of the shelves. Twilight then used her magic to lift Spike and Stan, and took them upstairs. Twilight then put Spike into his basket, and then Moonlight into her bed, with Stan laying next to her. Twilight then turned out the lights, and headed off to bed, sleeping the night away to start the new day.

Author's Note:

Who was expecting one to show up? For some reason, I wanted to put in a "Past Sins" reference in this story. I couldn't resist. :twilightsheepish::trixieshiftright::ajsmug: