• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 21,816 Views, 762 Comments

Discord's Heir - Forum Explorer



Discord figures out a way to free himself from his prison. Retirement. Now he just needs a heir.

  • ...
122
 762
 21,816

Chapter 3.Rarity

Clover stared at Rarity for a few moments. “Alright then, what does founding Equestria entail? Do we send over a ship full of ponies to colonize it or something along those lines?” She asked.

“No, the founding of Equestria was a migration of the entire unicorn species and a joint effort by all three pony tribes.” Rarity said.

“What? I don't believe you. There is no way we'd ever abandon our homeland let alone work with the earth and pegasus ponies.” Clover said.

“It's true. After all three tribes were driven from our ancestral homeland, I suppose that would be your current home actually, by a never ending winter we made our way to a new land. There the unicorns met up with the other tribes which had done the same thing. Upon arrival in Equestria the three tribe began to bicker about who owned the land and who got there first. Once the renewed fighting between the tribes caused another blizzard, you used the magic of friendship to defeat the windigoes who had been creating the cold the entire time. From that time on all three tribes worked together in harmony and created the nation of Equestria.” Rarity insisted. Clover, unsatisfied with the short explanation demanded the full story and Rarity told her all that she could remember. At the end of Rarity's story Clover was shaking her head and asking questions.

“Impossible. First these 'windigoes' of yours don't make any sense. Why would they follow the pony tribes? How come the pegasi didn't tell anyone about them? How did they manipulate the cold? The pegasi have to work nonstop during the winter months to make all the snowflakes needed for even our normal snowfalls, let alone a blizzard. Where did the windigoes get the time to do all of this?” Clover argued.

“Err, I'm not sure, but I know the windigoes feed off hatred and strife, so that's why they followed you to Equestria. I think they were incorporeal or something, so that's why they couldn't be seen. I honestly have no idea about the snowflakes, I'm not an expert on either weather or extinct monsters. “ Rarity said.

“See? They don't make sense and that's not the only part.” Clover said.

“Oh? What else is wrong?” Rarity said, her heart sinking.

“All three pony tribe all decide to leave at the same time? All not consulting the others and they all somehow end up in the same place? All by taking different paths? Not only do they arrive at the same place but they immediately begin bickering again? I know we don't get along, but its not like we hate each other.” Clover argued.

“Well the pony tribes had all run out of food. So it was either leave or starve to death. Is it so surprising that you all began to fight? After all tensions were already very high when you migrated to Equestria. Not only that but all the tribes had just had a dangerous journey, I imagine their nerves were a little raw as a result. As for all the tribes arriving in the same location; well that's unlikely but it's certainly possible isn't it?” Rarity did her best to explain. Clover thought it over for a few seconds and shrugged.

“I suppose that isn't entirely unreasonable then. Still there is one big problem and that is this so called 'magic of friendship'. I've been studying magic my whole life plus I've been taught by the greatest unicorn mage of all time, and I have never even heard of such a thing. Also the entire idea is preposterous. You can't draw magical power from emotions like friendship, love, or happiness. It takes discipline to master magic and you can't use magic effectively when you are full of any emotion because then you'll be too distracted to work the spell correctly.” Clover stomped her hoof down at the end of her little rant. Rarity just stared at her silently for a few moments as she held back an amused smile.

“I don't have any proof, but trust me when I say that the magic of friendship is a very real thing. In fact it is, without a doubt, the most powerful magic of them all. Just open your heart to your fellow ponies and I'm sure you'll discover it for yourself.” Rarity said, her voice full of conviction. Clover stared at Rarity for a bit before shaking her head.

“I'm not going to argue if it means so much to you. I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that. Anyways we should focus on the here and now, instead of the possible future. For now lets make sure you know how to act like the princess so no one will figure you out like I did.” Clover said.

“I assure you that I am well versed on what is expected of a princess and that I am fully capable of handling any social situation that may arise.” Rarity said.

“Hmm, well I'll test you on that later just to be sure. But for now I want to focus on specific mannerisms like Princess Platinum's favourite food and colour. As well as the specific noble families which I assume you know nothing about,” Clover paused for a second and Rarity nodded in response, “so we'll start with the prominent figures that you'd be expected to know as well as which nobles are allies of the princess and which are enemies.”

“Enemies?” Rarity asked.

“Yes, Princess Platinum is very active politically and is quite ambitious. As a result she has upset several members of the nobility when she consolidated much of their political power into her own. Others feel threatened and fear that they'll be the Princess's next target,” Clover explained. “On the other hoof the Princess has also gathered many allies, some who think that by siding with the Princess they will gain more power of their own, and some whose interests merely aligned with her own. Finally there are the yes-ponies who side with whoever they think has the most power. They are an annoying but often vital group.” Clover explained.

“Don't worry darling, I know just how to handle those sort of ponies,” Rarity said with a smirk, “let's get started shall we?” The two ponies got to work. Clover brought out several large books that traced the dynasties of the various noble families. As Clover read out each ponies name she would produce a picture from another book so Rarity could recognize them on sight. She would also give a short description of that pony's personality and if they were friendly to the Princess or not. They continued studying on through to lunch where they took a break. At lunch they had a lovely meal consisting of salad, fruit salad, and salad soup. Between dishes Clover quizzed Rarity on various rules of etiquette and the proper forms of speaking. Rarity practised on the various servants that served the meal and cleaned up after the two unicorns. After lunch Clover gave Rarity a crash course on how Princess Platinum behaved. Rarity learned the simpler things like favourite colour and the clothing that she generally wore, but had a hard time accepting Princess Platinum's personal beliefs.

“Earth ponies are not brainless thugs who are good only for the food they give us!” Rarity shouted.

“I know Princess Platinum's views are a little extreme-” Clover began.

“A little? They're absolutely horrid!” Rarity shrieked.

“Well it's not like the earth ponies have anything resembling real culture or intellectual thinking.” Clover said in defence of her Princess.

“That's absurd! Have you ever even met an earth pony? Some of the greatest musicians of all time are earth ponies; not to mention their abilities in business, construction, and engineering. In fact most of the cities in Equestria were built and founded by earth ponies.” Rarity said

“That can't be right. I was taught that earth ponies could barely avoid running into fences let alone build them,” Clover shook her head in denial.

“Have you ever met an earth pony? Or seen one of their towns? That should show you the truth pretty quickly,” Rarity said.

“Of course not! Only the Royal Guard and Family interact with the other tribes. Even they only go to Three Hoof Point, where all the tribes go to for the exchange of food and the occasional emergency meeting,” Clover said.

“Then how do you know what they are like anyways?” Rarity pointed out.

“It's what I've been taught by my teacher.” Clover said.

“Well your teacher is either a fool or is lying to you.” Rarity said, tossing her mane.

“He would never do that! And he's a brilliant stallion, and don't you dare insult him again!” Clover yelled.

“Hmph, and who is your teacher anyways?” Rarity said, sticking up her nose.

“The greatest unicorn of all time, Starswirl the Bearded.” Clover declared, challenging Rarity to disagree.

“Never heard of him,” Rarity said quickly.

“You've never heard of Starswirl the Bearded? Who has created more spells then any other unicorn? Who has even developed spells that allow unicorns to walk upon the clouds and even fly?” Clover yelled.

“That sounds very familiar but no I never knew he created those spells. I will admit that I have no interest in history,” Rarity said, “but despite that I know that anypony who teaches such despicable beliefs about the pegasi and earth ponies is blind fool who refuses to see reality. So what did he teach you about the pegasi anyways? Wait, no don't tell me, he thinks that pegasi are lazy, hotheaded fools who will never amount to anything?” Rarity said, her voice full of venom. Clover suddenly dropped her gaze, no longer willing to meet Rarity's eyes. “What? Was I right?” Rarity said. Clover just shook her head. “So what was it then?” Rarity demanded. Clover mumbled something and Rarity stamped her hoof, “I'm sorry what was that?” She demanded again.

“He thinks we should kill them,” Clover admitted lowering her head and looking at the floor, “he thinks that the pegasi are a threat and that they are barbaric and that they are useless. It's why he researched the walk on cloud spells and wing spell in the first place; he's preparing the tools needed to attack them and replace them.”

“I imagine the Princess agrees with him? Or does she think something even worse?” Rarity said coldly.

“N-no she doesn't! She likes pegasi!” Clover looked horrified and quickly glanced around the room. “I mean she thinks that the pegasi have a lot of potential, and that under the proper rule of the unicorns they would become properly cultured and civilized,” Clover added.

“So she wishes to enslave them.” Rarity said, her tone of voice never wavering.

“Not exactly,” Clover scanned the room in again and moved closer to Rarity. “She thinks they're pretty and she really really likes their wings. Also she's dreamed of flying ever since she was a filly. That's the real reason she's been some a passionate support of my teacher's work.” She whispered. Clover took a step back, blushing and still looking around the room. Rarity stayed silent, thinking everything over and giving herself some time to calm down.

“Well what do you believe?” Rarity asked.

“Me? Well...” Clover thought for a moment before continuing, “I think the pegasi are a threat. From everything my teacher and the Princess has told their new leader, Commander Hurricane, is very aggressive and bold. The other pegasi would likely follow their leader in whatever decision he makes. But as far as the average pegasi's personality, well I suppose I don't truly know how they normally act, however I would hypothesize that they tend to be very aggressive and militaristic on the basis that their leader holds a military rank. This also fits with what both the Princess and my teacher have told me.”

“And what about the earth ponies?” Rarity asked.

“I haven't really thought about them at all. I don't expect to ever have to deal with earth ponies as long as they keep bringing in the food. I don't particularly want to interact with any earth ponies anyways. Even if they are as intelligent as the average unicorn I can't imagine that they would want to talk about anything that interests me.” Clover said. The two ponies sat in silence for a little while.

“Well the point is that I find Princess Platinum's beliefs about the other two pony tribes abhorrent and I will not act like some brute who is incapable of common sense!” Rarity said, clearing her throat.

“But you must! If you don't eveypony will figure out that you aren't the Princess and then both you and her will be killed!” Clover protested.

“I don't believe that they'll kill me.” Rarity snorted.

“Well perhaps not,” Clover admitted, “but they certainly wouldn't allow you to remain in power as a Princess! Her life would be ruined and you'd likely be stuck here since you wouldn't be able to 'found Equestra' from one of our dungeons.” Clover continued.

“Ugh, fine! You've made your point. I'll behave, for now. But though I must act like a racist doesn't mean I have to be one. I will be subtle and I will be cautious, but I will encourage the unicorns to be more peaceful and friendly towards the pegasi and earth ponies!” Rarity said.

“Fine. Just don't slip up. Now I suggest we take a break. I'm pretty stressed out after our little fight.” Clover said. Rarity nodded in agreement and the two ponies went for tea. This time they sat in silence, letting the sweet aroma of the tea fill their lungs and calm their hearts. After a while they started chatting about some basic things, Rarity wanted to know about the current fashions and Clover was eager to tell her. They were just discussing what sort of dress Princess Platinum would be seen wearing when they were interrupted by a jingle of a bell and a gruff voice clearing it's throat. Turning towards the noise, they saw a yellowish-tan stallion with a pure white mane and beard coming towards them. He was dressed in an elaborate cloak and hat that was adorned with large brass bells that jingled as he walked.

“There you are Clover. Where have you been? You know you were needed to assist with my experiments today. And here I find you slacking off, drinking tea with the Princess instead of recording my research,” he snapped.

“I'm sorry Master Starswirl.” Clover said, bowing her head.

“Sorry? Sorry doesn't get me back a day of research. Sorry doesn't fix an inexcusable delay for no reason! Sorry doesn't mean that you didn't fail to take those basic notes! Now get your flank in motion or I'll find somepony else to be my apprentice!” Starswirl yelled. Clover jumped to her hooves and made to run out the door but Rarity stopped her with a small tug of magic.

“My dear Starswirl, I'm afraid that I am responsible for your apprentice being absent from your experiment. I needed her advice of a matter of some significance.” Rarity said in her most regal tone.

“Very well Princess. May I enquire on what this matter was and why it was more important then my critical research into spells we can use against the pegasi threat?” Starswirl said in a tightly controlled voice. Rarity took a drink of tea, thinking frantically.

“Why that was the matter I was discussing of course,” Rarity said, “quite frankly your flight spell and cloudwalking spell are insufficient for any sort of offensive action against the pegasi.”

“What's wrong with them? Those spells are ingenious!” Starswirl said defensively.

“So Clover claimed. However the cloudwalking spell merely leaves our troops on terrain that can literally be kicked out from under them and the flight spell, while getting our troops in the sky, is much too fragile for anything resembling actual combat. A single swipe of a pegasus hoof could tear the gossamer wings apart, sending our troops plummeting. Besides all of that you've yet to come up with some way to counter Commander Hurricane from merely using the pegasi control over the weather to crush us with snow and ice. Those are the matters that I had to discuss with your apprentice and I must say that I was not impressed by the answers that she gave.” Rarity said with a sniff.

Starswirl backed off and bowed, “I see you've given this quite some thought Princess. Indeed these are some serious problems that you've pointed out, I'll have to retire to my laboratory and see what I can come up with.” He said a thoughtful expression on his face.

“You are dismissed.” Rarity said idly waving a hoof.

“Thank you Princess,” Starswirl turned to leave but when he reached the door he turned around instead, “one question if you please, how do you know the physical composition of the wing spell? A spell that has never been field tested I might add?” He asked his horn aglow.

Author's Note:

So I've decided to start adding some Author's notes to try and answer what I think will be questions or give backstory that I'm not planning on going into.

Clover the Clever (or just Clover at this point in her life) is a very loyal pony who is torn between two ponies, Starswirl and Princess Platinum. Her devotion to the two of them is pretty close to absolute and when there is conflict between the two she generally suffers as she can never decide who to stand with. Generally that isn't a problem as Starswirl and Princess Platinum share similar viewpoints and are closely allied. However Rarity has messed everything up. She is dramatically opposed to everything Clover has been taught by Starswirl, which normally wouldn't be a problem, but she has taken Princess Platinum's place which is confusing Clover as she can't quite make the switch mentally. She knows the swap has taken place but she keeps well kinda forgetting, for lack of a better word, that Rarity is an entirely different pony, not just a different Princess Platinum.

Starswirl is a racist and elitist even for a unicorn. He practically raised Princess Platinum and Clover, though he spent much more time with the latter. He thinks he is the most important pony of the unicorns, which are the most important living creatures period. Generally he's pleasant to Clover except when she does something to bother him, where he will then turn downright nasty. Unlike 99% of the Unicorns he has met pegasi and earth ponies when doing research. He was not impressed.

Overall this chapter was easy to write, but I had trouble on where a cut off point would be and where the action was going. Rarity's parts are much harder to write due to the restrictions of canon and my poor memories of said canon.