• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 21,814 Views, 762 Comments

Discord's Heir - Forum Explorer



Discord figures out a way to free himself from his prison. Retirement. Now he just needs a heir.

  • ...
122
 762
 21,814

Chapter 4.Pegasi

“That is without doubt the worst plan I've ever heard,” Clear Thought said.

“What? Why?” Rainbow Dash shouted.

“Alright. For starters why would anypony think think you are a divine messenger, sent to punish us all for having slaves?”

“That's why we stage the 'miracles',” Rainbow Dash said, rolling her eyes.

“Fine, how are we going to create a plague of loctus and a rain of frogs?” Clear Though asked sarcastically.

“Fluttershy can talk to animals, and they'll generally do as she asks,” Rainbow Dash said, pointing to the smiling pony, who was currently engrossed in a hive of ants.

“Really? Then why don't we just attack the town and take it over with an army of wild animals?” Clear Thought asked, getting Fluttershy's attention.

“Oh, no no no. I could never ask my friends to fight like that! They could get hurt or even killed,” Fluttershy said, shaking her head fervently

“Fluttershy, we could get hurt or killed,” Clear Thought said sternly.

“But the animals aren't involved in this fight. They'd only be fighting because I asked them to, not because they're involved in what's happening,” Fluttershy replied, decisively shaking her head. “Besides, Rainbow Dash can handle any of the fighting,” she added with a smile.

“And that settles that,” Rainbow Dash said. “So insect plagues and frog rains are a go, don't worry Fluttershy, I'll make sure that your animals aren't in any danger for that,” she added quickly, seeing Fluttershy start to speak up. Fluttershy nodded, and gave Rainbow Dash another smile before turning her attention back to the ants.

“That's...fine, whatever. How about the rain of blood? How are you going to manage that?” Clear Thought said.

“Well I figured we could carry a bunch of paint into the clouds, and then let it all rain down on command,” Rainbow Dash said. Clear Thought facehooved.

“That...wouldn't work. Where would we get all the red paint? Actually never mind that! Red paint doesn't look like blood, and yes, most ponies and griffons here can tell the difference,” Clear Thought explained slowly.

“How about the rain of fire? How would that one fail?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Water isn't combustible. Also, what's up with you and rain?” Clear Thought answered.

“I'm a weather pegasus. Fine, to recap, Rainbow Dash Ultimate Messenger Of The Goddess is out cause it's impractical, and Operation Fluttershy Invasion is out cause it would hurt too many animals,” Rainbow Dash said, stomping around as she talked. “So we need a new plan.”

“Hmm, from the match I saw, Rainbow Dash is certainly one of the best fighters. She could enter the challenge circuit, and keep winning slaves. Eventually she'll gain enough power and influence to basically be running the town as long as she kept winning. Then she can slowly introduce new policies to create more rights for slaves, slowly liberating them bit by bit,” Clear Thought said, getting more and more excited as she spoke.

“Sounds good,” Rainbow Dash said, flying around their camp, “How long do you think that'd take? A month? Three?”

Clear Thought paused, her face falling. “Around fifteen to twenty years, assuming nothing went wrong,” she mumbled, hiding her face from Rainbow Dash.

“Well that's not going to fly,” Rainbow said sternly, landing by Clear Thought. “We've got problems of our own back home in Equestria that we've got to deal with. We can leave Paradox to run rampart over everything for that long.”

“I'm sorry,” Clear Thought said, refusing to look at Rainbow Dash.

“It's okay, you were only trying to be helpful,” Fluttershy said, joining the other two ponies once again.

“Yeah, but we do still need to come up with a plan to free all of the slaves,” Rainbow Dash said, patting Clear Thought on the back.

“Um, well why can't Rainbow do what she did to free you?” Fluttershy suggested.

“You mean freeing them one at a time? It would work for a while, but it'd still be pretty slow, and once the owners realized that they couldn't beat her they'd start avoiding her. Since a challenge technically has to be delivered in person, as long as Rainbow Dash can't find them, they don't have to fight her,” Clear Thought explained.

“Yeah? Well I betcha they couldn't hide from Fluttershy! Her animals could sniff them out in no time. And I bet I could easily do a couple dozen fights a day, we'd have an army on our hooves in a week, and then we could just take over with force,” Rainbow Dash said, smacking her hooves together.

“You can only do one fight a day, supposed to make sure that a fighter can't get ganged up on after they lose a fight,” Clear Thought said, quickly shooting down that idea.

“What really? Isn't there some way around that?” Rainbow Dash yelled, throwing her hooves up in exasperation.

“Actually...there is a way. But it's really risky, I don't like it,” Clear Thought said, scuffing the dirt as she looked away from Rainbow Dash.

“I'm not scared of any sort of danger! So tell me what it is already,” Rainbow Dash said, trying not to glare at Clear Thought.

“You can challenge multiple opponents to the same fight,” Clear Thought muttered. “You win a slave per fighter. But if you lose you have to give a slave to each fighter.”

“That sounds great! We'd be able to get an army of freed slaves in no time, why only after a week we'd have freed over a hundred slaves,” Rainbow Dash said, beaming.

“One hundred twenty eight to be exact. But you'd have to beat sixty-four fighters at the same time to do that. It's impossible!” Clear Thought cried, raising her head and glaring at Rainbow Dash. “And if you lost even once, we'd all be slaves again! I don't want to be a slave anymore, and I don't want to take that risk!”

“You worry too much I can- huh Fluttershy?” Rainbow started to boast before being cut off by Fluttershy's upraised hoof as she moved towards Clear Thought.

“It'll be alright,” she said sweetly. “Rainbow Dash has never let me down, and if she's sure that she'll win then I have faith in her. She'll be betting my freedom as well, and I'm not worried, see?”

“Ar-are you really sure?” Clear Thought asked, sniffing as she rubbed the tears that had started to form.

“Yes, I'm sure.” Fluttershy said, softly rubbing Clear Thought's mane.

“Yeah, there's no way I'm going to let any griffon lay their filthy claws on Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said, her earlier bravado being replaced with a fierce determination.

“B-be that as it may, one hundred twenty-eight ponies aren't enough to start a revolution,” Clear Thought said, taking a few deep breaths to try and get back under control.

“Not by themselves no. But what if, what if I destroyed the entire coliseum in my last fight? If you were to talk to the slaves during the week and begin prepping for a full out revolt as I did my fights, you'd be able to catch them all by surprise! Plus if I'm great at getting an audience’s attention, by the time I'm fighting sixty-four opponents, that stadium will be packed!” Rainbow Dash said, grinning fiercely.

“That would work, but how will you destroy the coliseum?” Clear Thought asked, giving her head a little shake.

“Oh, that will be a surprise,” Rainbow Dash said, winking at Fluttershy. Fluttershy smiled as she caught on, but then suddenly frowned.

“Rainbow, won't that hurt a lot of ponies and griffons?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yeah, it will,” Rainbow Dash admitted, growing serious once more. “But these aren't innocents or even ponies who are just making a mistake. They think that might makes right, and have set up their whole society around it. We're pretty much by ourselves, and neither of us will be able to persuade these people to change their ways, not if we want to get home any time soon anyways. If we're going to free these ponies, then they'll have to fight alongside us, and help us tear the whole corrupt system down. And that does mean that the griffons and ponies fighting to preserve the system are going to get hurt.”

“I...don't want to have to hurt anypony,” Fluttershy muttered, looking away.

“You won't have to. I'll protect you, and I'll do all the fighting,” Rainbow Dash said softly, pulling Fluttershy into a hug.

“I hate to interrupt, but we do still have to plan out how we are going to do this,” Clear Thought said, coughing awkwardly.

“Right, what's left?” Rainbow Dash asked, letting go of Fluttershy and turning to look at Clear Thought.

“Well I've been thinking which griffons it would be best for you to challenge first. If you take down some of the stronger fighters first, they wouldn't be able to interfere with the later duels if you made sure to injure them in your duel. And if you make sure to challenge griffons who are rivals with each other in your fights against multiple opponents, they'll find it harder to team up against you. Finally we need to decide who you want to rescue first,” Clear Thought said.

“Alright. But if you're expecting me to hurt them badly, I want you to choose the meanest and cruelest opponents you know of. And what do you mean who we want to rescue?” Rainbow asked. Clear Thought nodded.

“Well we are all good for something. And so all of us slaves have our special skills. I don't think that I'll be able to handle organizing and gathering support for a full out revolt by myself. So you'll need to select ponies who will be helpful to our cause,” Clear Thought explained.

“I see,” Rainbow Dash said, pausing to think for a moment while Clear Thought waited patiently. “Well first things first, we need a pony who knows everypony. They can help you find the others we'll need. Next is a pony who is good at talking other ponies into doing things. Hmm, what else? We could use a pony who could get access to equipment. Then the strongest ponies you know. Then, use your best judgement.”

“Yes, Rainbow Dash,” Clear Thought said. The discussion done the trio headed off to set up camp. Rainbow Dash started a fire as they settled down for the night. “Shouldn't we set a watch?” Clear Thought asked.

“Nah, Fluttershy's friends have got that covered,” Rainbow Dash said, yawning. She flew up to the sky and grabbed a cloud, bringing it to the ground to use as a bed. She laid down on it and gestured for Fluttershy to join her.

“Um, where will you sleep, Clear Thought?” Fluttershy asked.

“I can just sleep on the ground by the fire. A night or two in the dirt won't kill me,” Clear Thought said.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” Clear Thought said, firmly. Fluttershy nodded and trotted over to Rainbow Dash, curling up against her, as Rainbow Dash spread a wing over her. They snuggled together, and soon fell asleep in the warmth of their embrace. Clear Thought looked in the fire and made plans for tomorrow, not falling asleep til long after the moon began it's descent.

The next day the trio got an early start, getting an light breakfast of grass and various wildflowers, before heading into town. They walked around town looking for their target, a massive griffon with nearly all brown feathers, except for the red ones around his face. His body is covered in scars from his many fights. And naturally he was no where to be found.

“Ugh, why can't we find this guy?” Rainbow Dash yelled, kicking the dirt in frustration.

“I don't know. My animals aren't sure where he is either, sorry,” Fluttershy said, lowering her head.

“It's okay Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said, sighing and giving Fluttershy a pat.

“Hmm, well if he isn't in a place without any animals, then where could he be?” Clear Thought asked.

“I dunno,” Rainbow Dash said, shrugging.

“What if he's in the coliseum already? My animals don't like it there,” Fluttershy asked.

“Then we're in trouble. Rainbow Dash wouldn't be able to challenge him for another 24 hours,” Clear Thought said.

“Well where else could he be? No sense in even checking the coliseum if it's already too late,” Rainbow Dash asked. The trio paused to think some more.

“Someplace where animals don't like to be...what about a pub?” Clear Thought suggested.

“My mice friends checked them out, he's not there,” Fluttershy replied, shaking her head.

“You know what? We're over thinking this,” Rainbow Dash announced. “This Konrad guy, he's big, proud, and likes to fight right?”

“That is correct,” Clear Thought said.

“Then if I make a public challenge, he's sure to accept,” Rainbow Dash said, flying up into the sky. She grabbed a cloud and dragged it across the sky, using it to create a contrail behind her. She quickly wrote a message in the sky challenging Konrad to a duel, at the coliseum, at noon. She quickly flew back to the group and smiled. “There, now all we have to do is head to the coliseum and wait,” she said.

“That should work. We've only got a few hours til noon, so let's get going to the coliseum,” Clear Thought said. The group headed off, attracting a lot of curious griffons, who wanted to know more about the pony who had challenged Konrad to a fight. Rainbow Dash played to the crowd, inviting the to come watch the most awesome fight they had ever seen, bragging how she'll take down Konrad without breaking a sweat, and how this is just the beginning of her career of kicking some serious tail in the arena.

“So, you are the pony who dared challenge me,” a giant griffon said, lumbering over to Rainbow Dash. “It's about time. I thought that there was no one left in this town who was brave enough.” He added, laughing.

“I don't know about that. I'm from Equestria,” Rainbow Dash replied, glaring at Konrad.

“An Equestria! What a surprise! I thought the ponies down there were all about peace and harmony, and wouldn't fight their worst enemy. So what are you doing here?” Konrad asked.

“I'm here to kick your flank!” Rainbow Dash declared, flaring her wings.

“Ha! Got some fire in you I see. That's good. Better then most of my opponents. I look forward to our match little pony,” Konrad laughed, walking away to enter the arena. Rainbow Dash growled, then blinked in surprise as Fluttershy cuddled up against her.

“That griffon is scary,” she whispered, shivering.

“Aw, don't worry Fluttershy. He talks big, but he's nothing but a bag of hot air,” Rainbow Dash said, spreading a wing over Fluttershy.

“He is really big though, and fierce,” Fluttershy muttered, hiding her face against Rainbow Dash's side.

“The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Besides there's no way that big lump could keep up with me. I'll fly rings around him and he won't even be able to touch me,” Rainbow Dash said, giving Fluttershy a squeeze from her wing.

“I will handle the paper work of your challenge,” Clear Thought said, giving Fluttershy an angry look. “Rainbow Dash, please do not underestimate Konrad. He's the top fighter in this town for a reason.” Clear Thought trotted off.

“What's her problem?” Rainbow Dash asked. Fluttershy just shrugged in reply.

“Just be careful okay? Good luck Love,” Fluttershy said, giving Rainbow Dash a quick kiss on the cheek before heading for her seat. Rainbow Dash just grinned as she watched Fluttershy walk away. She turned and headed to the waiting room. To her surprise she found that her match against Konrad had been bumped up to happen immediately after the next duel finished. She stepped out, and literally had to brace herself against the roar of the crowd. The entire coliseum was packed full to the point where Rainbow Dash could see griffons grabbing clouds to create more seating directly above them.

“Ah, it's good to see a proper crowd for once. It has been too long,” Konrad said, slowly approaching Rainbow Dash.

“What? Not bothered by the fact that you're about to lose in front of the entire town?” Rainbow Dash taunted, smirking. Konrad just laughed. The fighters took their places in the arena and prepared to fight.

“3...2...1 BEGIN!” the announcer screamed. Rainbow Dash shot forward seeking an easy win. She darted to the side of the griffon, seeking to get around him before grabbing his tail, but found Konrad's talons waiting for her. She broke off her attacks, rolling through the air to land on her hooves, but not before taking a light scratch down her side.

“First blood to me,” Konrad said, grinning. He pounced towards Rainbow Dash, who dodged backwards, leaving a small crater in the ground when he landed. “You can't run forever,” he yelled charging at Rainbow Dash.

“Who's running?” Rainbow retorted, reversing direction, and meeting his charge. At the last second she jumped up, and brought her hooves down in a massive punch, only to find them caught by Konrad's talons. The griffon threw her at the ground, but she rolled with the throw, bouncing back to her hooves and charging back at Konrad. She landed a couple of punches to Konrad's ribs, before he retaliated with his own punches, forcing Rainbow Dash back onto the defensive, as she dodged and blocked. Finally a blow slipped through, sending Rainbow Dash sprawling.

“Is that all you've got?” Konrad asked. Rainbow Dash just glared, springing up from the ground and into an uppercut. Konrad managed to block it, and dealt Rainbow Dash a powerful blow to the gut, before throwing Rainbow Dash into the wall. The crowd cheered as he walked closer. “Are you going to give up? I'm sure your pegasus friend will make a lovely slave. She'll be the masterpiece of my collection.”

“Don't you dare even think about laying a single claw on Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash screamed, standing back up. In a flash she crossed the arena, spinning around at the last moment to deliver a kick with both back hooves. Konrad caught her hooves in his talons again, but this time Rainbow Dash was prepared. She immediately dug her front hooves and began flapping her wings flipping herself, and Konrad, around. He spread his wings to soften the landing, but lost his grip on Rainbow Dash, who didn't give him a moment to gather himself. Before he could react Rainbow Dash came down on his outstretched wing with both hooves, filling the air with a sickening crack! She hopped away, and watched as Konrad slowly rose to his feet, his wing hanging limp at his side.

“This fight is over,” Rainbow Dash said. Konrad just nodded, face twisted up in pain.

“Good...fight,” he managed to croak out, as he walked towards the medical ponies running towards him. Rainbow Dash watched him for a bit before looking over the crowd, who were shouting themselves hoarse. She contemplated saying something, but decided to just go and find Fluttershy instead. It took a few hours to get everypony together again, and in that time Rainbow Dash announced her intention to challenge two griffons the next day.

“Greetings Mistress, or do you prefer Master?” a young earth pony mare said, bowing to Rainbow Dash.

“Enough of that. Didn't Clear Thought tell you? I don't want you calling me anything fancy. Just Rainbow Dash will do. Also you're free now,” Rainbow Dash said, wincing as Fluttershy disinfected the cut in her side.

“She did, but I do not think it proper to show you such disrespect,” the mare said.

“It's not disrespect if that's how I prefer to be called. Look what's your name?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“My name is Clearly Cordial, or simply C2,” Clearly Cordial replied.

“Alright C2. I want to make this understood. We aren't here to collect slaves and we don't support this whole society. We're here to bring it down and we're going to cause a revolution. By the time we're through, no griffon or pony will be a slave, got that?” Rainbow Dash said.

“I understand. But you still need some sort of title,” Clearly Cordial said, keeping her head bowed.

“Well you can think of one later. For now I need your help figuring out which ponies have the skills I need to make sure this revolution is successful,” Rainbow Dash ordered, pulling out the list of skills that they needed. The four ponies kept planning for a while longer, til Fluttershy insisted that Rainbow Dash get some sleep in preparation for tomorrow's fight.

The next day found Rainbow Dash in the arena again, facing off against two griffons. The two were from rival clans, and were more focused on each other then on her. When the fight began only one of them charged at Rainbow Dash, who was easily able to grab the griffon and throw him back into his ally. A few seconds later they were fighting each other as they tried to get up, letting Rainbow Dash easily sneak up on them, and slam their heads together, knocking them both out. That day Rainbow Dash got to relax, meeting all of her adoring fans amongst the populace. They took her around town, showing her all of the sights. Rainbow Dash drank it all in, the praise and the glory, Fluttershy at her side. All the while, her liberated slaves worked hard, spreading the word amongst those who were most discontent with their lot in life.

The third fight was similarly easy. Rainbow Dash had 'cheated' the system, challenging two earth ponies, and two griffons to a fight. She simply took to the air, and the overly proud griffons accepted her challenge. Despite outnumbering her 2 to 1, they were unable to keep up with her speed and agility, allowing Rainbow Dash to attack them from any direction she pleased. Soon enough both fell to the ground, while their Earth Pony allies could do nothing but stand and watch. Then they had to face her fury. Standing back to back they put up a decent fight, managing to drive Rainbow Dash back, while enduring what hits got through, but it was only a matter of time before she wore them down. Unable to land a hit of their own, they eventually collapsed giving Rainbow Dash another win.

The fourth fight was more difficult. The griffons she had challenged were prepared, putting aside their differences in order to have a chance at winning. Two of them sacrificed themselves as a distraction, going on an all out offensive and allowing Rainbow Dash to pummel them. Their sacrifice gave their comrade a chance to strike, flying up and grabbing Rainbow Dash. The others quickly flew in, slashing at Rainbow Dash with their claws, as she frantically flapped her one free wing, gathering up electricity which she used to shock the griffon holding her captive. Free, she was able to defend herself, barely. She soon turned their tactic against them, deliberately leaving herself open in order to land more devastating strikes. It hurt, and left her wounded, but she managed to pull through, dropping each griffon she faced with one or two powerful blows. After the fight though she found herself being lectured, and bandaged by Fluttershy.

“That was far too dangerous Rainbow Dash. You could have been hurt much worse then this,” Fluttershy said, wrapping up one of Rainbow's legs in bandages.

“Aw come on Fluttershy, I won didn't I?” Rainbow replied, trying not to wince.

“You almost lost! And you almost died. I don't think those griffons were going to stop hitting you if you had given up. And you never would have, not with our freedom on the line, don't even try and pretend otherwise. They would have killed or crippled you, and then what would we do? What would Equestria do?” Fluttershy said, accidentally squeezing Rainbow Dash too hard, and she moved to treat the next injury.

“Fluttershy...” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Sorry,” Fluttershy said, weakening her grip as she started anew on the next injury. “But you've got to learn to be less reckless. We can't afford to lose you, I can't afford to lose you.” Fluttershy gave Rainbow Dash a hug before resuming her work. “As is, you've got to go into your next fights with more of a plan then you've been doing. They're only going to get more difficult from here.”

“I'll admit I got cocky, but I think you're overreacting a little bit,” Rainbow Dash replied. “I still took those losers down once I stopped messing around.”

“And they got to hit you the entire time. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to outlast a greater number of opponents,” Clear Thought said, joining the conversation.

“Alright, I'll come up with a better plan for my next fight,” Rainbow Dash said, throwing up her hooves in defeat.

“Well you'll have time to think about it, because you aren't fighting tomorrow,” Fluttershy said, finishing patching up the last of Rainbow Dash's wounds.

“What? No way! I've got to keep fighting, we don't have time for me to just sit around doing nothing,” Rainbow Dash said.

“No excuses. You're too injured, and I'm not letting you fight in that condition,” Fluttershy said, firmly pushing Rainbow Dash down when she tried to stand up.

“But what about all of the slaves? I can't just leave them to suffer while I heal,” Rainbow Dash protested, squirming faintly against Fluttershy's hooves, and wincing when her efforts caused a wave of pain to shoot through her.

“Don't worry about that Rainbow Dash. We'll keep for the few days it will take for you to heal. In fact I can use this time to keep organizing things for the revolution. A week wasn't much time, and quite frankly, I could use more,” Clear Thought said.

“Ugh, fine,” Rainbow Dash groaned, laying her head down in submission. Fluttershy stayed with her, while Clear Thought got back to work. It was a boring few days for Rainbow Dash, as mandatory bed rest under Fluttershy's watchful gaze was never fun. Fluttershy did her best to try and keep Rainbow Dash entertained but there was only so much stuff you could do while resting in the middle of the woods.

“You win again Dashie,” Fluttershy said, smiling happily at Rainbow Dash after another game of Tic-Tac-Toe. “Did you want to play again?”

“Ugh, no. I'm so bored, isn't there anything else we can do?” Rainbow Dash asked, whining a little as she rolled onto her back.

“Well, I suppose,” Fluttershy said, mumbling at the end of her sentence.

“Suppose what?”

“I suppose we could go for a small flight,” Fluttershy said. “Only a small one. Just to get you back in the air and see how well you've healed,” she added quickly.

“Awesome, lets go.” Rainbow Dash said, impatiently fidgeting while Fluttershy slowly removed the bandages from her wings and body. She winced a few times as Fluttershy pushed against a bruise, but didn't complain. Soon the two pegasi were air born and flying slowly at Fluttershy's request. Rainbow Dash smiled with relief as she stretched her wings and just soared for a while, picking up a thermal to get some altitude. Fluttershy squeaked and quickly followed, not expecting Rainbow Dash to suddenly ascend like that.

“So what do you think Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash asked, rolling lazily in the air.

“W-well, it looks like you're fully healed,” Fluttershy said, sounding almost disappointed. Rainbow Dash looked at her oddly before brushing it off.

“I've got an idea on how I'm going to beat the next opponents too, and good news, it does require me to wait a bit longer,” Rainbow Dash said, smiling a little.

“Oh, um, that's, well, that's great,” Fluttershy said, with false enthusiasm. Rainbow Dash sighed, and flew directly in front of Fluttershy, gently halting her in the air.

“Okay Fluttershy, what's up?” she asked, staring Fluttershy right in the eye.

“Nothing,” Fluttershy mumbled, hiding behind her mane.

“No, it's not nothing. Come on, Fluttershy, you promised you wouldn't do that anymore,” Rainbow Dash said, sternly, putting a hoof under Fluttershy's chin and forcing her to meet her gaze. “Now tell me what's bothering you,” she said. Fluttershy took a deep breath.

“I really don't want you to fight again. I know it's for a good cause, and that you're going to win, but I don't like you getting hurt at all. And I don't like that you have to hurt those poor griffons so much in order to win. And I know that you're almost certainly going to ha-have to...kill,” Fluttershy spat the word out, “in order to win. And the revolution that you and Clear Thought are planning is almost certainly going to kill more griffons and ponies. So when you got injured I was hoping I'd be able to use it as an excuse to prevent you from fighting, and we'd just go home and tell Princess Celestia about it and let her solve things. But I know that would mean leaving all these slaves to suffer, and I'm a horrible, selfish, evil pony!” Fluttershy said, rapidly. Rainbow Dash quickly hugged her.

“You're not an horrible pony, and you aren't evil. You are acting a little selfish, but everypony is selfish now and then,” Rainbow Dash murmured, running her hoof through Fluttershy's mane. She carried Fluttershy over to a nearby cloud and reluctantly let her go.

“I'm sorry,” Fluttershy said, sniffing as she tried not to cry.

“It's alright. Look Fluttershy, I do understand. You just want things to be nice and happy, like they are back home in Ponyville. That and you think you can leave this to Princess Celestia. But I've been thinking, these griffons and ponies have been at this a while. Princess Celestia should already know about this, and she hasn't done anything. So I think the only way things are going to change is if somepony like me forces them to change. I know it's tough, and I know it's violent. I don't really like it either, but we've got to stick together alright?” Rainbow Dash said. Fluttershy just nodded and gave Rainbow Dash a hug, burying her face in Rainbow's chest. Rainbow Dash smiled and gave Fluttershy a squeeze.

“Come on, let's go tell Clear Thought that I'm all healed up.” Rainbow Dash said, before slowly detaching herself from Fluttershy and flying down to their campsite. Clear Thought wasn't back yet, so Rainbow Dash stretched and practised some aerial manoeuvres, making sure she was back to 100%. By the time Clear Thought returned, Rainbow Dash, was zipping around the campsite, dodging through the thick forest that surrounded them.

“I'm glad to see you are fully healed, and with good timing too. Our preparations are basically complete,” Clear Thought said, respectfully bowing her head for a second.

“Ah, Clear Thought! I was waiting for you,” Rainbow Dash said, landing and walking over. “I've got a plan to win my next fight, but I need to know the weather schedule, specifically when is the next rainstorm?”

“Hm? The next rainstorm is in two days time, but the sky is always kept clear over the arena, so I don't see how that would help you,” Clear Thought said. Rainbow Dash just smiled and explained her plan. Clear Thought smiled and nodded in response. Two days later it was finally time for Rainbow Dash to return to the ring.

As promised, the weather was horrible, as the rain poured down on the town and surrounding area. Still the griffons and pegasi of the town were careful to sculpt to leave a hole above the coliseum, leaving the ground and seats perfectly dry.

“Perfect,” Rainbow Dash said, her wings gleaming with moisture as she gathered the humidity together. “They'll never see this coming.” Rainbow Dash grinned as she got to work, gathering more and more of the moisture together as she waited for her match to begin.

“It's been over a week since we've seen her last, and some accused her of backing down, of being a coward. Well she's here to prove those neysayers wrong, doubling her previous number of challenges. That's right, it's the prismatic amazon Rainbow Dash vs no less then sixteen of our fine warriors! Let the battle begin,” The announcer shouted, as the doors to the waiting rooms opened. Rainbow Dash's opponents emerged in a defensive formation and stared at the thick fog that emerged from Rainbow Dash's room.

“It looks like Rainbow Dash had a trick up her sleeve, but what could it be? Surely the griffons she is facing will just be able to blow the fog away,” The announcer cried as Rainbow Dash's opponents began to do as she said. The moment one of the griffons rose above the group however, Rainbow Dash shot out of the fog, breaking one of the griffon's wings and flinging him into another opponent before quickly disappearing back into the fog. The group was shocked into stillness for a few moments, which Rainbow took advantage of to expand the fog dramatically. Regrouping, her opponents once again began to blow away the fog, but this time half of them remained on guard to try and fend off Rainbow Dash's attack. It didn't work, Rainbow Dash just flew into the guards, trailing fog behind her. Before they could react, she had hit one, ricocheted to the next, hit them, and had grabbed a third, and dragged them back into the fog where she finished that one off. Startled the griffons stopped flapping again, and this time Rainbow Dash was able to envelope the group inside the fog.

With their visibility ruined, their coordination fell to pieces. They tried to stay huddled together, but Rainbow Dash was able to attack from every direction, breaking up their formation and tricking them into fighting each other. Soon enough the majority were fighting each other, or moving through the fog on their own, easy prey for Rainbow Dash. Only three or four managed to make a break for the sky, flying high above the fog. They watched in dismay as the dome of fog was filled with rapidly silenced sounds of battle. All too soon, Rainbow Dash emerged from the fog, grinning fiercely.

“Looks like you're all that's left. You going to do this the easy way or the hard way?” Rainbow Dash said, smashing her hooves together. The griffons looked to each other, and back at the fog before shaking their heads, and bowing in surrender. Rainbow Dash laughed in victory as the stands erupted in cheers. “Another win,” she gloated before flying off. However before she could get too far, she saw a familiar looking griffon flying up to intercept her. Instinctively, Rainbow Dash fell into a fighting stance, causing Konrad to raise his talons up to signal his peaceful intentions.

“Greetings, Rainbow Dash,” he boomed as he flew closer. “A cunning strategy.”

“What do you want Konrad? A rematch?” Rainbow Dash asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Not right now, no,” Konrad said. “I want to talk about what you are planning.”

“What?” Rainbow Dash asked, surprised.

“Do not take me for a fool Rainbow Dash. After my defeat I've been studying you and your slaves. And none of your slaves have been working, instead they spend their time talking to other slaves, many of which you end up acquiring later,” Konrad said, keeping his voice low.

“What do you think I'm planning?” Rainbow Dash asked, thinking fast.

“I think you are planning a revolution. You are a pony sent by Princess Celestia to cause a slave revolt and bring down our society because you don't approve of our ways. You're fighting in the arena to gather troops and distract everyone from your attack. Am I right?” Konrad asked, speaking slowly and deliberately.

“More or less,” Rainbow Dash admitted, subtly trying to gain some altitude. “So now what? Are you trying to blackmail me? Don't think I'll back down so easily,” she added with a glare.

“No, not at all. I want to join you,” Konrad said, grinning widely.

“What?” Rainbow Dash shouted, falling a half-dozen meters in surprise. She flapped her wings strongly to regain her lost altitude. “Why would you want to join me? From what I hear you're living the high life as a successful slave owner,” she asked.

“You mean a boring and tame life,” Konrad said, snorting. “I am the best fighter around, at least I was before you showed up, and in these last few years no one has challenged me. The few I bothered to challenge were no match, barely requiring any attention on my part. So I sit and languish, my skills going to waste for want of a worthy challenge. Til you showed up. At first I was merely training and preparing for a rematch, but when I figured out what you were planning I realized the golden opportunity that lay before me. If I join your revolution, then I shall find my challenges and glory on the battlefield, and this time when I fight, both my opponent and I will be going all out!”

“And how can I trust you? You could betray me,” Rainbow Dash asked, not relaxing a muscle.

“Put me to the test and I shall prove my loyalty,” Konrad boasted. “Besides, if you will not accept me as an ally, then you will face me as an enemy.” He added.

“Grr, very well then. First thing will be to meet with the others and see what they think of what you are saying,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Meet with your underlings? Why? Are you not their leader and can't you make the decision for them?” Konrad asked.

“Now listen up. If you are going to be fighting alongside us, then you need to understand that we're fighting to free the slaves of this land. That means that in the end, when we win, they'll be your equals. All of them will be, not just the strong ones,” Rainbow Dash said, glaring into Konrad's eyes.

“I understand,” Konrad said, nodding slowly.

“Good, now follow me,” Rainbow Dash said, flying back to camp.

“This is a much different test then I was expecting,” Konrad muttered. “But I shall pass it regardless.”

When they reached the camp, Fluttershy, Clear Thought, and C2 were all waiting for her. They nearly panicked when they spotted Konrad following her, but Rainbow Dash quickly explained what Konrad had told her. The group fell to arguing with Clear Thought and C2 being against it and Fluttershy agreeing with Rainbow Dash to give Konrad a chance.

“We are fighting to liberate ourselves from the griffons, not to keep them in power,” C2 yelled.

“B-but I'm sure that not all griffons are bad. You've got to forgive them and give them a chance,” Fluttershy said.

“Some griffons perhaps. But I have a hard time believing Konrad is anything but an adamant supporter of the system that has been responsible for my enslavement,” Clear Thought said.

“Enough! He's going to be working along us and that's final!” Rainbow Dash yelled, slamming a hoof against the ground. The others fell silent, but were still glowering. “You're nervous about being betrayed? Well, that's fine. I've thought of a way to ensure his loyalty. Konrad, can you give us a second?”

“Very well,” Konrad said, glaring a bit at the two former slaves before backing off a short distance. Rainbow Dash quickly explained her plan to them before waving Konrad back over.

“Alright, here's what we've decided. We've got a plan for how we're going to take over this town. You don't get to know what it is. All you get to do is to provide seventy or more slaves for me to bet on my matches. After we are victorious, it will be too late for you to betray us, and if you don't know the details then you can't betray us beforehand,” Rainbow Dash said. Konrad glared for a few seconds before swallowing his pride and nodding curtly once. “Good. Then Clear Thought will meet you first thing in the morning at the coliseum. In the meantime I've got to get ready. Come on, Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash added before flying off, Fluttershy following the best she could.

Konrad did as he was ordered, and the next day the coliseum was packed full as usual. The arena itself was almost entirely full with over a hundred griffons and ponies present. The announcer went though the usual spiel, introducing the small army Rainbow Dash had challenged, before making a speech to explain the historical importance of the unprecedented bet. Finally he introduced Rainbow Dash, opening the door to her waiting room where no one was to be found. The whole time Rainbow Dash had been floating far up above the coliseum and when she noticed the horde of opponents enter the arena she gulped and began her descent. Here we go, I've got to time this perfectly in order for this to work. And if it does...then some of those griffons and ponies down there will likely die. But I can't hesitate or everypony will just end up becoming slaves again. And Fluttershy will end up a slave as well. So here goes everything! Rainbow Dash thought as she flapped her wings again and again to get even more speed as a mach cone formed in front of her eyes and her lips peeled back from the force of the wind against her face.

Her timing was perfect. Just when she was about to break through and create a sonic rainboom, her hooves touched the ground instead. The result was a massive rainbow coloured mushroom cloud, the shock wave sending griffons and ponies flying as the coliseum began to crack and crumble from the blast. Rainbow Dash was at the centre of it all as the entire stadium was reduced to chaos as everyone tried to evacuate all at once. Her opponents were in shambles, having caught the majority of the blast themselves, nearly all were unconscious at the very least. Rainbow Dash winced at the sight of the mangled corpse of one griffon who had been unable to withstand the full force of Rainbow Dash's attack. She looked around, watching silently as most of the crowd flew out of the coliseum, while the ground bound members of the audience tried to make their way through the semi-collapsed tunnels.

“Looks like I was wrong,” Rainbow Dash muttered to herself, remembering her promise to destroy the coliseum. Though badly damaged, the building was still standing, and barring another attack, would remain so. She felt a flash of panic at the thought that the Clear Thought wouldn't begin the uprising but she ignored it, choosing to fly up into the sky and see for herself. She winced again as she heard the sounds of violence rising up from the now burning town. The ex-slaves had wasted no time, setting fire to key government and looting any weapons they could find. As they spread other slaves not involved in the planning, took the opportunity to break free and riot. It was a massive, uncontrollable mess that could only end in one way. In short, everything was going according to plan.

“Rainbow, oh Rainbow Dash,” a yellow and pink blur cried before ramming into Rainbow Dash.

“Whoa, ah, Fluttershy! What's wrong? Is everything alright? I thought you were going to wait at the camp,” Rainbow Dash asked, holding onto the crying mare.

“It's-it's just so awful,” Fluttershy said, bawling.

“Yeah, it is,” Rainbow Dash said grimly, flying them both up to a cloud. From there they watched as the dazed audience was caught heading back to their homes by a group of ex-slaves and pummeled into submission. “And this is just the beginning.” she whispered as she watched.

Author's Note:

Another chapter done. I don't know how I feel about this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it regardless though. No Paradox chapter this time though, I felt this one was already long enough. Anyways, I'm doing another chapter of There's Something About Twilight Sparkle next, and it should take less then a month. So look forward to that if you're reading that story. After that I'm thinking I'll write Pinkie's or Applejack's chapter next.

Oh, and Merry Christmas