• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 21,828 Views, 762 Comments

Discord's Heir - Forum Explorer



Discord figures out a way to free himself from his prison. Retirement. Now he just needs a heir.

  • ...
122
 762
 21,828

Chapter 4.Paradox

Paradox laughed as he bounced around town, before growing a pair of wings and flying into the sky.

“This is perfect! I'll find out if Twilight loves Celestia, and then go tell Celestia! Perhaps I'll make a singing telegram out of it, or even better a parade. Yeah, that's it. Anyways after I assure Celestia that Twilight loves her back, she's sure to accept me as a friend, and then I don't need to worry about being turned into stone at all. Then I can become friends with the Mane 6 and enjoy an eternity of friendship and chaos. But wait, what if Twilight doesn't like her back? Celestia might blame me,” Paradox said, conjuring a floating mirror and staring into his reflection.

“Why would she do that? That doesn't make sense,” his reflection asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Love doesn't make sense. She'll blame me, because I'm an easy target to blame and it'll let her work out her hurt feelings,” Paradox countered, jabbing a finger at the mirror.

“Touche,” the reflection said. “But couldn't we let her down easy?”

“And how do you propose we do that? We were never exactly known for our grace and subtly,” Paradox replied.

“Touche again. Wait, I've got it! If we find out Twilight doesn't love Celestia, then we just won't tell her,” the reflection said, nodding in satisfaction at it's brilliance.

“That would only work until Twilight talked to her about it,” Paradox countered.

“But Twilight is trapped in that infinite library of knowledge. She'll never get to Celestia to talk to her about her feelings anyways,” the reflection protested.

“If you truly think that Twilight will be trapped in that library forever, then you are dumber then you look. Sure it might distract her for a while, perhaps even a long time, but she's not going to abandon her friends for books, no matter how many or interesting they might be,” Paradox said. The reflection frowned.

“How about....how about we learn what she thinks about Celestia, without her knowing about it? That way if it's bad we can just pretend to forget about it, and nopony will be the wiser.”

“That could work,” Paradox said, conceding the point with a nod. “But like I said, I'm not that subtle, so I don't think it will work.”

“Ah, but you're Paradox, Lord of Chaos, Change, and Growth. You say you aren't subtle, then become someone who is subtle,” the reflection declared, dramatically flinging it's arms in the air. Paradox smiled and nodded, declaring the plan to be perfect. With a snap of his fingers and a small pop, he appeared silently behind Twilight, whose attention was focused on the magical orb in front of her.

“BOO!” he shouted, watching her spring up in surprise with a smile on his face.

“Paradox! What do you think you're doing?” she shouted back.

“Oh, nothing much. I was bored and figured I'd drop in,” Paradox said, sitting down.

“Uh huh,” Twilight said, skeptically.

“Okay, I just had the most interesting conversation with Celestia and I decided to get your take on it,” Paradox said.

“Princess Celestia,” Twilight said, automatically.

“She's not my princess,” Paradox said, smirking.

“You will address her with respect, and that means using her title,” Twilight demanded That's a good sign. But it doesn't mean much. I already knew that Twilight considered Celestia an important pony who was worthy of respect. Paradox thought.

“Fine, Princess Celestia and I had an interesting conversation and I wanted to know what you thought about it,” Paradox said, prompting Twilight.

“So what were you talking about?” Twilight asked, sighing and giving up on trying to use the orb.

“About love, and if an immortal can truly have a loving relationship with a mortal so much longer then they are. Also if such a love was worth it, as they'd have to watch their lover grow old and die,” Paradox said.

“Of course they can and such a relationship is completely worth it. Now what does that have to do with me?” Twilight asked.

“Well, after Luna you are the pony closest to her heart,” Paradox said, winking.

“I'm glad to hear that Princess Celestia values my friendship so much,” Twilight said, her eyes drifting back to the orb. Paradox face palmed behind her. Alright, apparently I was a little too subtle. I guess I need to be tad more blunt, he thought.

“Oh? Are you really just friends?” Paradox asked.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, sighing and turning her attention back to Paradox.

“Well, wasn't your main goal for the Grand Galloping Gala was to just spend the night with Celes- I mean Princess Celestia?” Paradox asked.

“I hadn't seen her in a while, and I wanted to talk to her in private about everything I had learned and experienced since moving to Ponyville. Also, I did miss the conversations I used to have with her, when I was learning from her in Canterlot,” Twilight said.

“It still seems to be a little extreme. I mean every single thing Princess Celestia tells you to do, you do, no matter what it is. There's a dragon? You're on the job, despite her having enough power to deal with it easily. She coming by for a visit? You make sure everything is absolutely perfect. She tells you to organize a festival on the day you think there is going to be an invasion by a her evil sister, you focus so much on your work you don't get any research done. Don't you ever question on why she's giving you such weird and dangerous tasks?” Paradox asked.

“Princess Celestia knows what's best for me, and I trust her to make that choice. Now how did you even know all of that?” Twilight asked, narrowing her eyes in suspicion.

“Don't try and change the subject. I want to know why you follow Princess Celestia's orders to fanatically,” Paradox said, waving away her concerns.

“I have faith, and I'm not trying to change the subject. I want to know how you've been spying on me! Not even my friends know some of that stuff,” Twilight said, starting to get angry.

Well, I guess that's my answer. Twilight doesn't seem to be in love with Celestia, she's too busy worshipping her, Paradox thinks, sighing.

“Stop ignoring me!” Twilight yells.

“Geez, calm down. Now what were you saying?” Paradox asked.

“How do you know so much about my friends and I?” Twilight asked through gritted teeth.

“Oh that. Well to be honest I'm not sure how. I do know that your adventures, and that of your friends have been publicized, kinda like Daring Do. Except no one knows that it's actually real,” Paradox said.

“That...makes no sense at all,” Twilight said. “How can your dimension be capable of viewing other dimensions, and then not know about it? And why our adventures? Our lives aren't that interesting.”

“I disagree, but it's not the action that most people watch your adventures for, but for the lessons on friendship and how to be a better person. Peoples lives have changed from the lessons you've learned,” Paradox said, solemnly closing his eyes.

“Alright now I know you're lying,” Twilight said. “How do you really know?”

“I'm not lying! I don't understand it, but I'm not lying,” Paradox protested.

“You expect me to believe something as absurd as a species of aliens from another dimension watching the lives of my friends and I, while not realizing it's fictional, while at the same time taking life lessons from the fictional story? That's ridiculous,” Twilight said.

“Oh come on, I know it sounds absurd, but I'm proof that there our aliens from another dimension at least. How much weirder is it for us to have bizarre customs and traits? Why won't you believe me?” Paradox said.

“First off, I've only known you for a couple of days. Secondly, in those couple of days you abducted my friends and I and scattered us across time and space. Thirdly, you are the avatar of chaos and disharmony. Finally you've done nothing but cause problems since you've gotten here,” Twilight said, lecturing Paradox.

“That's not true! I'm not the avatar of disharmony and I've helped ponies,” Paradox said.

“Really? How so?” Twilight said, raising an eyebrow. When Paradox didn't immediately respond, she smirked. “That's what I thought,” Twilight said.

“Alright then, I'll prove it. Watch me closely Twilight, I'm going to show you exactly how much chaos can help ponies,” Paradox said, pointing at the crystal orb before vanishing.

Author's Note:

So I'm trying something new with the Paradox chapters, I was going to release them as small fragments instead of one big chapter. I'm still not sure if I want them to be their own chapter, or actually a part of the other chapters. But this one got a little long so I gave it it's own chapter.

Thanks again to Aburi.