• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 21,814 Views, 762 Comments

Discord's Heir - Forum Explorer



Discord figures out a way to free himself from his prison. Retirement. Now he just needs a heir.

  • ...
122
 762
 21,814

Chapter 4. Rarity

“Wait!” Rarity shouted before Starswirl blasted her with a spell. To her surprise the spell did nothing but make her glow briefly.

“Hmm, that’s strange. Any doppelganger or changling would be forced to revert to their true form after being hit with that spell,” Starswirl said, stroking his beard.

“Then clearly I'm not a doppelganger or changling,” Rarity said calmly, her heart pumping.

“An illusion then,” Starswirl said, firing off another beam of magic. Better prepared this time, Rarity just stood there and let the magic wash over her to no effect.

“I'm not covered in an illusion either,” Rarity said. “I am in fact Princess Platinum.”

“That's impossible, if you are Princess Platinum then how did you know the results of my top secret research?” Starswirl asked.

“It's a rather unbelievable story, but I assure you it is the truth. I am from the future,” Rarity said.

“What? Sending a pony back in time would take an unbelievable amount of energy. Not even the entire unicorn tribe working together would be able to perform such a feat,” Starswirl said.

“I have to admit the solution you came up with was quite ingenious. Rather then sending back an actual pony, you instead displaced the mind of a single pony and had that mind possess their past self,” Rarity said, smiling and staring directly into Starswirl's eyes.

“Hrmph, well it should be easy enough to tell if you are telling the truth or not,” Starswirl said, breaking eye contact with Rarity.

“It will?” Clover asked, surprised.

“Indeed. Nopony move, I shall return shortly,” Starswirl said, disappearing in a flash of light.

“Rarity what are you doing? He's going to figure out you're lying and then he will arrest you, and then the princess will be lost forever,” Clover hissed, rushing over to Rarity.

“Trust me darling, now he'll be back any moment so please don't distract me,” Rarity said, waving away Clover's concerns with a hoof. She growled at Rarity but backed off just as Starswirl reappeared holding a ornate lantern, covered in prisms that caught the light, covering the entire thing in a flurry of rainbows.

“The Lantern of Truth! Are you sure you want to use that Master? It can only be used once a year, and even then you only get three questions,” Clover said, with a gasp.

“Yes, I am sure. This sort of emergency is precisely why I sought it out in the first place. Now Princess, simply answer my questions truthfully and this matter will be settled one way or the other,” Starswirl said, clearing his throat. Rarity nodded and he proceeded. “My first question is this: Are you the pony known as Princess Platinum?” he said, moving the lantern so that a beam of rainbow light shone over Rarity.

“Yes, I am,” Rarity said. The beam glowed but otherwise stayed the same as the flame burned lower.

“My second question is this: Is your mind from the future?”

“Yes, it is,” Rarity said, again to no effect, as the light grew dimmer.

“My last question is this: Why did you come to the past?”

“I was sent to the past to ensure that we survive the upcoming disaster and so that our future is a prosperous one,” Rarity said. Again the beam didn't change, staying solid before disappearing with the flame of the lantern. Clover stared at Rarity, mouth ajar and eyes wide.

“My apologies for doubting you Princess,” Starswirl said, giving Rarity a small bow.

“It's perfectly alright. I knew that believing such a story would be difficult,,” Rarity said.

“I take it that's what the Princess wanted to discuss with you Clover?” Starswirl asked.

“Ah, yes!” Clover replied, snapping out of her shock.

“Makes sense I suppose. Not even her father is as close to Princess Platinum as you are,” Starswirl mused. “Well, what is the big disaster that you came to warn us about Princess?” he asked, turning his attention back to Rarity.

“It's the war with the pegasi. Despite the new spells you created, and despite the element of surprise, we were still slaughtered,” Rarity said, gravely.

“What? How is that possible? After we eliminate the defensive advantages their flight gives them, they should prove easy prey to our magic,” Starswirl said, stomping a hoof.

“I told you already, that wing spell of yours is simply too fragile. The pegasi didn't even need to touch our troops to send them all plummeting to the ground. A small storm was enough to wipe out an entire army of our finest ponies,” Rarity said, bowing her head in fake sorrow.

“And the cloudwalking spell?” Starswirl said, staring at Rarity in dread.

“They would simply destroy the clouds underneath our ponies' hooves,” Rarity said, sadly.

“But surely that wasn't enough to lose the war for us,” Starswirl pleaded, tears springing to his eyes.

“In of itself no. But we put a lot of ponies into that attack, thinking to gain a decisive advantage early on, but instead we merely handed a huge advantage over to the pegasi. Plus our aggressive actions was apparently all the pegasi needed to formalize an alliance with the earth ponies. After losing so many unicorns, we simply didn't have a chance against the combined forces of the other two tribes,” Rarity said.

“The earth ponies? You must be kidding me. Those idiots can barely manage to grow food let alone fight battles,” Starswirl said, composing himself.

“You'll pay for that attitude if you aren't careful. The earth ponies have been working on machines capable of shattering this castle, or to take to the skies,” Rarity said, sternly. Starswirl stayed silent, thinking.

“So what now?” Starswirl asked.

“Simple enough, we simply point out the flaws in your spells during testing and call off the attack. That should be enough to divert the future, but just in case we'll play it safe and try and keep things peaceful for an entire year,” Rarity said.

“Very well princess, I'll leave you to handle the political problems while I continue working on my spells. Come with me Clover,” Starswirl said, leaving the room.

“Sorry, princess. I'll be back soon to help,” Clover said, bowing her head to Rarity as she ran after Starswirl. Rarity headed back to her room. Okay, I got through that conversation, but what now? What does Princess Platinum do from day to day? I got lucky with Starswirl, but next time things might not be as obvious. Rarity thought as she walked along.

“Excuse me Princess Platinum, may I have a moment of your time?” A light blue unicorn with a golden blond mane asked.

“What do you require?” Rarity said. Darn, this is exactly what I hoped wouldn't happen! she thought to herself, forcing herself to look casually bored.

“I just wanted to know if Starswirl had finished giving you your orders for the week. Because stars forbid you actually having to think for yourself for a change,” the mare said, smirking. Rarity paused for a second shocked, before glaring at the mare.

“At least Starswirl is capable of intelligent conversation, unlike some ponies I could mention,” Rarity said, with a sniff. She seems to be one of Platinum's political rivals, so responding in kind is my best bet here. Platinum may be a princess, but from what Clover told me, she's also kind of a jerk, Rarity thought.

“I'm sure the rants about magical theory and old dry artifact and spells are so fascinating and useful,” the mare said, sarcasm dripping from every word. “After all I'm sure the details about the unicorn nobility are nothing but so much drivel in comparison. It's not like their opinions decide the fate of our tribe or anything.”

“Speaking of, I have to go and get back to the actual business of running the kingdom. You have fun with your pointless little projects,” Rarity said, raising her nose in the air and walking away.

“Yes, go continue your warmongering and stirring up fear! Well let me tell you something princess, I, Duchess Luminous Star, will not stand for it. We'll see how many ponies will answer your call to war. We'll see the worth of your Royal blood when you ask others to shed their own,” Luminous Star shouted after her. Rarity winced internally as she walked away. Great, my rivals are after peace and I'm supposed to be a warmongering brute. Now I've got to somehow take the opposite stance, without breaking character. Rarity thought with a sigh. She reached her private quarters without further incident and began to search through Princess Platinum's private possessions. I need to find some sort of diary or something so I can get an idea of what Princess Platinum is really like. Surely she must have had something, Rarity thought as she searched the room. The dresser was a covered in gems, rings, and other jewelry, the closet was full of glittering gowns that Rarity happily tried on, underneath the bed was nothing at all, and even between the mattresses had no luck. Eventually there was a knock on the door.

“Princess Platinum, may I enter?” Clover asked formally. Rarity gave her permission and upon enquiry, told Clover what she was searching for. “Her diary? I'm not supposed to know where about it, but… well I've made it my business to know everything about the princess,” Clover said, walking over to a bookshelf. Taking out a few thick books on the genealogy of the royal family revealed a hidden panel set in the wall. “It's a magical lock, so you'll have to open it yourself,” Clover said.

“All right,” Rarity said, lowering her horn and inserting it into the lock. A small surge of magic later and the panel opened, revealing a very pink and glittery diary. The words 'My Diary' were embroidered on the cover in crushed sapphires, with several hearts accompanying them. “While I'm reading would you mind writing down the ponies who dislike the princess?” Rarity asked, flipping the book open.

“Yes, my princess,” Clover said, with a bow. Rarity got to reading through the diary.

ENTRY 1

Dear diary,
Today I got to lead the Ceremony of the Night for the first time! I will admit to you, my most secret and faithful confidant, that I was nervous. So many unicorns staring up at me, waiting for my signal, my command. But then it began and oh it was glorious! Feeling the power of all the unicorns coming together, becoming more then what we could be just by ourselves. And all of it funnelling into me under my direction. The rush was amazing, I felt I could perform miracles! I focused beyond the horizon and at my behest the moon rose and the sun fell. I was so enraptured, that I barely noticed how exhausted I was by the end of it. Truly the unicorns are the most blessed tribe, for only we can come together in unity to perform feats unheard of in our lesser cousins,

Your Princess,
Platinum.

“That wasn't very useful,” Rarity muttered, as she sped read through the next entries. Most were minor, talking about trivial events and minor complaints. Finally she spotted something interesting.

ENTRY 54

Dear Diary,
Today the famous adventurer Starswirl the Bearded returned, his cart full of strange and mystical artifacts. I didn't get to see it them personally, but I'm sure I will soon. Why? Because rumour is that Starswirl is looking for an apprentice to teach his many secrets to! And who else but a princess is worthy of such a honour? That ugly sow Luminous Star? I don't think so. Oh, I can't wait!

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 55

Dear Diary,
I can't believe this outrage! Starswirl picked a peasant to be his apprentice. A peasant! This is a direct insult to the every noble unicorn. Starswirl is saying that he's so important, that he has complete control over who he chooses as apprentice and that he has no respect for the obvious superiority of the royal blood! Well I won't stand for it. I may not be able to contest Starswirl's choice, but I can order around this 'Clover' as much as I please. Let's see how long this apprentice lasts when she's too busy doing my chores to relax!

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 71

Dear Diary,
I may have misjudged Clover. That is one determined peasant, who despite having to put up with my chores, plus whatever worthless job I can imagine, has still managed to excel as Starswirl's apprentice.
She's pretty friendly too, always willing to chat about whatever she's learning. She's even offered to introduce me to Starswirl. I think I'll take her up on that, as well as make her my permanent hoof-maiden.

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 74

Dear Diary,
Starswirl is amazing! So smart and wise. When I asked him why he chose a low born peasant as his apprentice, he told me that an important pony like myself would be far to busy with affairs of the state to be constantly working as his apprentice. Only a filly like Clover would work. He did say I was welcome to show up whenever I wished. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Your Princess,
Platinum.

Rarity rubbed her eyes. The information was interesting, and it might be useful, but so much of it was mundane, and useless information. She skipped forward a few hundred pages and skimmed over the entries until something interesting popped up.

ENTRY 1942

Dear Diary,
It seems it's finally time for me to meet my first pegasi as Starswirl is taking Clover and I on a reconnaissance mission to show us exactly what we are up against. I just hope I'm not too disgusted by how barbaric they are. My father is having a lunch, and I don't wish to ruin my appetite. Besides that it seems that Luminous Shield has been spreading rumours about me and Clover. Jealous sow couldn't get a stallion if he was blind, ugly, and crippled. I'll know what will silence these rumours. Luminous is holding a party next week, and I'll be escorted by none other then Duke Eclipse.

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 1943

Dear Diary,
This is- There aren't words for what I saw! Starswirl brought us up to the top of mount Canterhorn. The view was spectacular of course, but after Starswirl set up his telescope the tiny colourful dots in the distant sky were revealed to be pegasi! They were so beautiful, so free, prancing in the air. Well at least I thought they were prancing, but suddenly I saw a pegasi fall from the sky! I tried to follow with the telescope, but I was too slow and he disappeared from sight. I asked Starswirl what was happening, and he told me that it was a military training exercise that the pegasi were performing. I asked about if the pegasi got injured in training, and he said that he wouldn't be surprised if those savages killed each other in training. The thought of one of those pretty pegasi lying cold and silent on the ground sends shivers down my spine. That simply will not do! Under my control I'm sure that the pegasus ponies will prosper and will learn to adore the unicorns.

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 1944

Dear Diary,
Was Eclipse always so boring? When I took him to Luminous Shield's party, all he was doing was preening and boasting about his non-existent achievements. Still he served his purpose, as I could see the jealousy in Luminous Shield's eyes as we talked to her. Naturally she tried to insult me by saying that my dreams of conquering the pegasi was 'cruel and an affront to the proud traditions of the unicorn tribe.' What balderdash! The only tradition Luminous cares about is the one that demands that she gets cake at every party. Still it's an argument that will hold weight with unicorns too dim to see though the transparent lies Luminous presents. I'll have to find more allies before I can propose my plan.

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 1957

Dear Diary,
My search for allies has been successful. Starswirl, of course, saw the wisdom of my plan and has pledged his magic, and advice to helping subjugate the pegasi. At first Eclipse was useless, saying that he couldn't see why he should put in the effort. I convinced him that he should join, so that he may claim his spot in history through the glory of battle. Needless to say he bought it, and has now joined the Unicorn Noble Defence Force. With Starswirl's and my connections he should advance in the ranks quickly. Falling Gems took some persuading, but she joined the cause as well after I promised her a quite frankly ridiculous amount of money. Still I'd pay ten times that amount if it meant our victory over the pegasi.

Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 1958

Dear Diary,
That blasted sow strikes again! Luminous Shield went straight to my father with a petition of her followers, asking for a guarantee against war. Luckily papa denied them a full promise. He did say though that he would only consider a war if evidence was presented that the Pegasi tribe was planning to attack us, or if he was confident that we had an overwhelming advantage in battle.

So now we've got to either plant evidence that the pegasi are planning on attacking, or create some sort of spell that would assure our victory. It's a setback but it'll only make my victory over Luminous Shield all the sweeter when it occurs.


Your Princess,
Platinum

ENTRY 2249

Dear Diary,
It's been ages since I last wrote but finally there is some news beyond the occasional progress report on the war efforts. Starswirl has finally finished his wing and cloudwalking spells! Now we can finally prepare our assault forces. A simple test to make sure the spells work as they are supposed to and then I will show them off to the court! Only a few days away before we can begin the total domination of the Pegasi Tribe.

Your Princess,
Platinum.

Rarity sighed in relief as she closed the book. I cannot believe how awful this princess is. Wanting to enslave an entire race, simply because you're attracted to them? Disgraceful. And I have to pretend to be this pony. Alright Rarity, you need a plan! How do you turn a beastly princess into a pony partially responsible for founding Equestria? Without anypony figuring out that said princess is being inhabited by a pony from the future? Rarity thought, rubbing her chin. Well in the myth, Princess Platinum was still a rude and overbearing mare. But she didn't lead them into war. Let's see, there was a neverending blizzard, a meeting between the tribes, and then the migration. Or did the meeting come first?

“Clover dear, can you come here for a second please?” Rarity called.

“Yes, Princess,” Clover said, quickly entering the room. “Also you shouldn't be so polite. You are a princess, and it is for you give out orders, not requests.”

“My apologies. Regardless I have some questions for you. First off do the tribes meet with any regularity?” Rarity asked.

“No, not really. The closest thing to a meeting between tribes is when we pick up the food grown by the Earth ponies. The only time when all three tribes come together is when there is a major disaster threatening all of us,” Clover explained.

“I see,” Rarity said. Well that fits with what I know of the legend. She thought to herself. “Clover, I was hoping you could help me with a problem. You see, Princess Platinum's policies are aimed to starting a war with the pegasi. Obviously I'm very opposed to such an idea. What's more I don't think a war happened before Equestria was founded. However I can't simply backtrack on her policies, as that would almost certainly result in me being revealed. So how I can I sabotage myself so things end up more peaceful, while it appears that I'm trying to start a war?” Rarirty said.

“Well that is possible, but I'm not sure I should help you. You are acting against my princess's objectives and the consequences of your decisions won't simply disappear when you relinquish your possession of her body,” Clover said.

“My goal is to get home to my own time, and I'm doing what I think is best. Until I succeed though, I'm stuck here in this body. So unless you want your princess to be possessed forever, you'll help me keep the peace between the different tribes,” Rarity said, giving Clover a pointed look. Clover sighed in defeat and nodded.

“Alright. As I'm sure you've realized from reading Princess Platinum's diary, there is a rival faction of unicorns that are trying to make sure that there isn't a war between the unicorns and the pegasi. If you boast about some plan to prove why the unicorns should go to war with the pegasi, showcase the plan publicly, and then sabotage the plan to backfire so that your actions provide more reasons for the unicorns to remain at peace,” Clover said.

“That shouldn't be too hard. We even have the perfect opportunity with showcasing the flight spell of Starswirl's,” Rarity said, smiling.

“I'm afraid not. Since you've already pointed out the weakness of that spell to Starswirl he will refuse to let it be showcased publicly until he has created an improved version of the spell. After all a poorly designed spell reflects poorly upon him, and he does have authority on whether or not the spell is considered ready to be shown to the public,” Clover said, shaking her head.

“I see. Let me think,” Rarity said, pacing back and forth. “I've got it! No unicorns really know what the other tribes are like correct?”

“Correct, Princess. Only a few ponies, like Starswirl have bothered to travel outside our lands at all,” Clover said. “Except for the King of course. He personally picks up the food from the Earth ponies, and talks to the pegasi to organize our weather.”

“Perfect. I will propose an expedition to investigate the pegasi. I will say that it will prove that the pegasi are a threat once and for all, and therefore we should be preparing to fight them. But once everypony learns what pegasi are actually like any chance of fighting will be ended,” Rarity said, bouncing in excitement.

“That could work,” Clover said, after thinking it over for a few moments.

“It will work. Now make the arrangements for me to present my idea to the court, the sooner the better,” Rarity said, with a wide smile on her face.

“Yes, Princess. But first it is time for the Ceremony of the Rising Moon and it is your turn to lead the ritual,” Clover said. Rarity's smile faltered and faded as she processed Clover's words.

“...Raise the moon?” she managed to gasp before passing out on the floor.

Author's Note:

This chapter was hard to write because I had no idea what Rarity was supposed to do. Also Rarity had to figure out what she was supposed to do and how to act. Finally writing nobility is hard.

Many thanks to my editor Aburi.