• Published 20th Dec 2011
  • 6,728 Views, 138 Comments

What If...? - solsticebrony888



BonBon's infatuation with Lyra hits a breaking point when Lyra gets engaged to somepony else

  • ...
11
 138
 6,728

Chapter 3

The cream colored pony walked away from the therapist’s clinic with an improved outlook on her situation. The day was surely soon to end, the cascading pink clouds gloriously covering the distant mountains. This was the time of day she loved to go on walks. Most of the time, one way or another she ended up at Lyra’s house just to say hi.

Surprisingly, BonBon felt better. If anything, she probably shouldn’t have waited so long to visit a therapist for her troubles, however she just viewed it as ‘better late than never’. The only thing that was conflicting her was the fact that she would be confessing these feelings to Lyra the day before her wedding. To her it seemed conniving and wrong. This worried BonBon, because no matter how much she hated the colt the teal mare was with, she didn’t want to ruin things between them. The last thing she would want to do is destroy Lyra’s happiness.

BonBon trotted aimlessly as she envisioned how Lyra would react to the timing of her confession. Though in some aspects it made sense for her to confess her feelings the day before a wedding, BonBon assumed that’s what anypony else would do if they were in her situation. Unless they did what she SHOULD have done, which is confess way before it got to this.

BonBon didn’t need any more convincing. She needed to find Lyra

The earth pony didn’t have a solid plan, really. Just get some alone time with Lyra, admit her feelings, hope that Lyra isn’t disgusted by the confession. It hurt BonBon to accept the possibility that her feelings weren’t returned by the beautiful turquoise mare, but she knew she needed to understand that Lyra was getting married to somepony else for a reason.

BonBon knew where Lyra was. Her coltfriend was probably at work, like he always was at that time of day. They were possibly not going to see each other until the wedding, which is a tradition in Ponyville. Knowing this made her heart flutter with anticipation and a hint of fear.

Whatever the outcome, I will hold my head up high…

Once coming to the conclusion that she was going to see Lyra, BonBon changed direction and headed towards the unicorn’s home. Dr. Buckington’s office wasn’t very far from Lyra’s home, but she was unknowingly walking the opposite direction until she fully decided that she would go to her friend’s home.

Because of this decision, she knew this day would change her life drastically. The thought of the changes that were to take place between herself and the blue maned unicorn caused her mind to drift off into a nostalgic state, as she recalled when they first ever met. It was during the Running of the Leaves and was BonBon’s very first. Her class, which included Lyra, was going on a field trip separate from the main running of the leaves to prevent the younger ponies from getting on the way of the adults.




<><><><><><><>




“Come on class, stick together! We must assist the adults in The Running of the Leaves! Which pony here remembers out lesson from last week about why The Running of the Leaves became a tradition in the first place…yes, Pinkie Pie?…” Cheerilee mused happily to the young class that followed her. This was her rookie year as a teacher.

In order to get a better view, BonBon intentionally walked behind the others. This was her first ever Running of the Leaves and she was excited to see the plethora of colored leaves everywhere. Whenever she could, the little filly would joyfully jump into a pile of leaves causing them to fly everywhere. The air smelled of the previous night’s rain and the overcast clouds made the air warm and humid. This was BonBon’s favorite weather to play in as a filly.

Nopony noticed her drifting further back, because nopony really ever noticed her. BonBon was fine with this, because she didn’t really have a choice. She was shy by nature and keeping to herself was something she was content with as a filly. She particularly enjoyed the smell of the autumn air; it was so unique and was certainly her favorite part of the season. Smell accented every beautiful sight, making them much better together than apart. The class slowly walked further ahead of the tiny filly as she got lost in the sights again.

Distracted by a butterfly, BonBon didn’t notice a tree stump in front of her until her hoof caught under it, causing the sky to suddenly turn to dirt. She landed in a pile of leaves awkwardly, leaving herself dazed and confused.

BonBon has always been known as a very emotional pony, and after taking a few seconds to recover from her short fall, she was instantly sobbing as she looked at the scratch on her little hoof.

I have the worst luck ever!

When she looked up, she saw no sign of the class in front of her, and being a filly, BonBon felt entitled to a bandage to wrap on her hoof.

Cheerilee had brought a first aid kit, but was seemingly too far ahead to notice the troubled filly. At least that’s what BonBon assumed.

“Hey are you okay?” A squeaky voice shouted from in front of her. Soon she saw a little teal unicorn galloping towards her.

Somepony actually noticed that I was gone…?

Since starting school, BonBon was intimidated by the little teal filly, which naturally made her want to pretend that she wasn’t hurt at all. The tears in her eyes, and holding one hoof up as if she was really injured didn’t help her argument.

“I-I’m okay, I swear,” BonBon’s adolescent voice stammered out.

Little Lyra was now in front of her, examining her hoof as if she knew anything about being a doctor.

“Your hoof looks hurt and you were crying, that doesn’t sound okay to me,” The little unicorn said matter-of-factly.

The cream colored filly blushed in embarrassment, “I-I guess I hurt my hoofie a little…”

“Oh, well I’m sorry! Are you okay?” Lyra asked with a tiny voice crack.

The fact that somepony noticed that she was gone made her feel better instantly. It was a unique feeling BonBon would never forget.

“Oh, Um, I guess I’m fine, thanks though!” The cream colored filly replied with tiny smile.

They started walking side by side as they worked to catch up to the rest of the class.

“So, why were so far behind the class? You’re always so quiet!”

The opportunity to finally make a friend boosted the little filly’s confidence, “Oh, well, I just the like the view when those tall colts aren’t in the way!” The cream colored filly said with a giggle.

The turquoise filly smiled , “Oh I see, that makes so much sense!”

“Um…How did you know I left the class? Nopony ever really notices me…ever,”

“Oh Ms. Cheerilee told me to go get you, she actually was the pony to notice that you were gone…” Lyra said, her own honesty surprising herself.

“Oh…I’m glad you came! My hoofie hurts a little…I think I would’ve just cried until some random pony found me, like usual…”

“Totally! At least Ms Cheerilee noticed you were behind us! And OH! I see you already have your cutie mark! I’m so jealous! What does it mean?”

“Oh! It’s because I love baking treats like cakes, and candy and…everything that tastes good! I kinda knew that was going to be my special talent since as long as I can remember!” The cream colored filly said happily, as she trotted next to her new friend. She already had completely forgotten about the little scratch on her hoof.

“…Well, I love eating those treats! Maybe I’ll get a cutie mark for that!” The teal filly said with a little chuckle.

Now catching up to the class in front of them, Lyra and BonBon laughed happily, quickly becoming friends. Cheerilee even remarked on how glad she was too see that BonBon had made a friend, as they continued their “Walking of the Leaves” as the teacher called it.




<><><><><><><><>




BonBon giggled quietly to herself as she felt the warming sensation of nostalgia take over her mind. She remembered the day she and Lyra first met like it was the day before. The cream colored mare credits Lyra with finally helping her out of her shell, helping her make more friends.

BonBon then thought about their adolescent years when they seemingly annoyed all of Ponyville with their shenanigans. Lyra had once tried to take a muffin from Sugarcube Corner, but ended up getting caught because BonBon went back for more. This memory, though embarrassing for her, made BonBon smile warmly at her own past naïveté.

She thought about the time when they realized they wouldn’t be going to school together anymore, and both just cried constantly at Lyra’s parent’s home, assuming their friendship would be over. However, after a week in school they realized that they would still be best friends, due to how close the schools were to each other. The look on Lyra’s older sister Octavia’s face was priceless when they told her. Octavia had been the one to constantly console them before school had started, and the fact they so simply decided they’d still be best friends caused her to facehoof.

It was those types of events that bonded them together for so long. They had been through thick and thin together as friends, and would always be friends. BonBon hoped that the strength of their relationship wouldn’t be bothered once her feelings were out in the open. It was just too strong of a bond to break. She knew there was no possibility of the feelings being returned and understood that. However, she felt that she couldn’t keep the feelings in any longer.

Lyra’s house was now in sight. No turning back. Not this time.