• Published 12th Feb 2021
  • 190 Views, 1 Comments

Scroll of the Thorn of the Frozen Star - Sanxa



A long time ago, one kirin was chosen to save the grove from an ice wyrm. Original settings, characters and composition of Frozen Night.

  • ...
 1
 190

Fire & Frost

Soaring towards the sky layed the Peaks of Peril, a remote place where no pony would think to find life.


Yet, if any would have been present in any season, they would have been listening to the music played by a specie belonging already to myth at that time. Isolated there lived the kirins. Following the rythm of seasons, they were living in harmony within the grove, under one of the peaks and protected by the grove.


It was a summer afternoon, and some young adult kirins were chilling around the central fountain. Some kirins were passing by, and even stopped a moment, to listen to the music played by some.
It was the turn of a flutist. The female nodded to her fellow kirins clopping to encourage her. She closed her eyes and started to play.


Some other kirins stopped to listen to her, while some other continued their chores, smiling to the music. During her play, she reopened her eyes, and in answer to those who waved at her, she varied her tune to personalize her thanks and acknowledgement, to the pleasure of all. Some kirin listening shivered...


But what they thought to be the shiver due to the music... was not. A kirin child sneezed. Little by little, they realised the temperature was dropping, and the flutist shivered and stopped to play too.
"What is happening ? We are still in summer, right?", asked one kirin.
"We better go see outside, maybe we will find the cause of it?", proposed another one.


They went to look outside of the village. There, the young adults found their leader and some others. They were wondering and observing, but they had no clue of what was happening. Clouds of an incoming storm could be seen at the horizon. As most of the kirins were talking, the young female looked again towards the grove and the peaks. And she saw something : a pale figure far above and near the sun.


"Look!", she exclaimed, as it faded in the approaching storm clouds.
"What did you see?", asked a kirin, as every eyes turned towards her or her hoof, before going to the sky.
"There was something flying there!"


All kirins were looking, but there was nothing more to see.
"Are you sure?", asked a kirin after a moment.
"I swear there was something!", replied the young female under the gaze of her fellow kirins.


The leader coughed to bring the attention to herself : "Well, we cannot do anything but assure the safety of every kirins, and shelter the young and the old ones from that unusual weather."
As the kirins nodded, one young adult turned to his flutist friend : "Come, Ivory, we... Ivory? Where are you? Oh no, come back, Ivory!"
Under the worried gaze of the other kirins, Ivory Frost was running to find what she had seen.


The young kirin was now running into the grove, trying to find back the figure she saw in the sky.
Her eyes were scouting the sky and the clouds each time she could through the canopy. And each time, she saw something moving. Shadow of a shape, weird lightning... it was too weird, it had to be some creature she could reason with.


She passed near some other kirins, who were travelling back to the village, and they were very surprised to see her running in the opposite direction. One called her name, and she replied quickly that she was trying to find something and disappeared deeper into the sea of trees.


She was now a little farther than her known ground of the grove. She slowed her pace, a bit weary by the recent change of pace, looking for more signs of the figure. She entered a clearing.
"Oh no! You're not welcomed on my turf, little kirin!", hissed a voice above her.


She barely had time to react. She looked up and her eyes saw a big shadow falling on her. She felt her hooves being taken off the ground and something big wrapping around her. Stunned by her sudden situation and their neon green eyes meeting, she barely produced any sound.
"Mm-mm, you look weaker than in the stories", decided the white creature, 'its' 'serpentine' head switching the angles to look at her.


"Who... What are... you?", gulped Ivory.
The creature looked shocked, then got closer, looming towards the kirin muzzle :"So you, kirins, do not remember us!", showing his teeth. It was a smile... right?
"My name is Ivory Frost... And you are?", she tried, an uneasy smile on her face.
"Ivory Frost... At least, you are polite. My name is Zuriak, an ice wyrm. What are you doing here, all alone on my land, little one?"
"I was looking for... you? We live nearby and the temperature dropped suddenly. It was so unnatural... maybe you know..."
Zuriak stayed silent, observing the little kirin.


As he was a majestuous ice wyrm, very proud of his snow white scales, six horns of the same color growing from the back of its head and a icy turquoise mane running from head to tail, his neon green eyes scanned this kirin as she was doing the same. Her coat was a pastel turquoise, completed by dark blue mane, spiky, long and rough. He liked those colors.


But on the other side, there was those kind of red scales, and the horn of the same color on her head. The horn was really weird in shape. Spiky too, but kind of symmetrical and moon-shaped for a little part on the rear. And those big neon green eyes... like his own, why?


Her lips were moving.
"Do you know why the weather is like this, Zuriak, please?", she repeated.


His eyes widened a little, and he chuckled.
"Oh, you know, little Ivory, I am just taking back the land that belonged to my ancestors, before they were chased away. I just make some changes to make myself home", he replied.
"Why are you doing it like this?", she attempted.
"This is my land by right..."
"You cannot! The winters are already hard enough there! We cannot live without the other seasons.... sorry. Maybe we can find another way, right?"


His eyes widened, then hardened, making the kirin attempting to take a step back.
"How dare you tell me how I should act, little one?", he furiously whispered as his head came closer to the kirin, releasing her as his body unwrapped from Ivory, dropping her on the ground. She took a step back, almost two this time.
"There must be another way... this land has no owner..."
"Wrong! My people ruled this land, before being chased away by your people and whoever decided we did not belong there. You have no say in this, child!", he hissed almost on her nuzzle.
"But you are going to kill every other creatures that lived there for centuries! Please! At least, for them, not for us."
"Nice trick, little kirin, but changing to save them will probably save your people too. Trying to weigh centuries of life against millenia of roaming...", he was looking the little kirin with disdain, from all his height.


As the mouth of the kirin opened again, he suddenly took off.
He hovered over her : "I do not understand why I lost much of my time with you, kirin. I do this because this should have been our land for millenia, and it will come back into our icy grasp. If you're not happy with this, leave!"


And he flew off towards the Peaks of Peril. As she look after him, a snow flake touch her muzzle.


The wind was blowing white under the dark sky. Under the canopy and the snow, Ivory was now running towards the village. She had to report to the leader.