• Published 30th Sep 2021
  • 2,228 Views, 617 Comments

Destination Unknown - Admiral Biscuit



“Tour America by Rail!” the sign said, and so Sweetsong does. Everything she needs for a journey fits into her saddlebags, and there are plenty of trains to choose from if she’s resourceful enough.

  • ...
4
 617
 2,228

Centralia

Destination Unknown
Centralia
Admiral Biscuit

Like most grain trains, this one wasn’t in much of a hurry. It trundled along the parallel main at a fast trotting pace—she’d thought it would pick up speed when it left the yard, but it didn’t.

There were trees on one side and a golf course on the other, not as industrial as most cities she’d been in. She would have thought she was already out of town, although she’d seen how far the city extended while she was flying.

Just past the golf course, one line branched off to the east, and a moment later she was jerked across a switch as well, diverging west from the main line as the train crossed under a highway bridge.

Industrial buildings started to line the tracks, and rail spurs joined in to their line. This was a more familiar industrial setting to her: parking lots, security fences and dumpsters faced the track, along with stunted trees and bushes.

Did I get on a train that’s going to a grain elevator? She hadn’t spotted any export elevators on the waterfront, but that didn’t mean there weren’t any. That was a problem for later.

Sweetsong yawned and then reached back for her saddlebags. A tug with her mouth and her army blanket was out; she stretched it across the floor, right up against the slope sheet.

A belt of trees on both sides of the tracks was enough cover for her to stretch, and then she settled down on her belly, disappearing into the shadows at the end of the car.

•••

Lights were coming on in the parking lots and on the buildings, and she was constantly rocked as the train crossed switch after switch. A steady parade of tracks came in from both sides, and she watched a northbound local pass, a caboose with big porches and no windows on its tail.

She dozed off as the train passed by a wood treating facility; when she woke again, the train was in a yard.

One side of the yard was walled in with concrete warehouses; the other side had a patch of trees visible above the stored railcars. The yard was well-lit, although the close-packed railcars would give her a decent number of hiding spots, if she wanted to abandon her train.

Sweetsong stuck her head over the side, checking to see if there were any grain elevators in sight. There weren’t, nor were there any employees that she could see. It looked like the locomotives were still on the front of her train, and she considered her options. She had no idea what time it was, or for that matter where she was. The safest bet was to stay put, make sure she kept under her blanket, and see if she woke up somewhere else.

•••

The train finally getting underway woke her in the early dawn. Her ears perked at the sound of slack coming out, and she was ready as the car jolted under her, then started moving.

It was smart to keep her head down in the yard, so she burrowed under her blanket and became a shapeless lump in the shadows, her ears monitoring the train’s progress as it switched across the yard throat and onto the main.

She stuck her head up when the train’s sound became hollow: that meant it was on a bridge. A rusty truss bridge across a muddy river, with a highway to her north. She could faintly smell salt in the air, which meant that she was still near the Sound or if she was lucky, the ocean.

As soon as it had come off the bridge, the train promptly went into another yard, and she ducked her head back down. Sometimes railroads didn’t have enough bridges across a river and it turned into a choke point for trains, so they’d put yards at either side so the trains could wait their turn.

The track made a sharp turn at the end of the yard, and then it started to pick up speed, almost immediately passing under a bridge with big curio windows on it. She couldn’t help but stare at it, even though there was a road right next to the tracks. She’d seen various kinds of fences and decorations on bridges before, but never glass objects.

Before she’d pulled her head back in, she heard a hiss of air, and the train began to slow. Did they see me? The locomotive had a mirror on it, and she should have been far enough back to be out of their sight.

Maybe someone on the ground in the yard had noticed her, had seen the lump of blanket tucked under the slope sheet. It didn’t matter. Sweetsong stuffed her army blanket back into her saddlebags and looked around—there was literally nowhere to hide. A road on one side, thin trees barely covering a hillside. She’d caught glimpses of water beyond the buildings, and that might be her best path. She could circle back around and catch a train later.

She looked up towards the front of the train, trying to get a good idea of the best place to bail, and realized what they were actually slowing for: a giant grain elevator with a ship anchored beside it.

That gave her a few minutes, anyway. Enough time to pick a better landing spot.

•••

She didn’t want to fly back to the yard if she could help it, but looking up the coast there just weren’t many good places to hop a freight. The tracks were pinned between the water and a road with no tree cover at all, and as she passed by a pair of ugly grey ships tied to each other, she started to wonder if she was making a mistake, if she’d be better off retracing her route and trying again.

She glided around on the weak early morning thermals and followed the tracks with her eyes. Further north, the tree cover was better on the inland side, and as long as she was careful, she ought to be able to board a train, if it was going slow enough. There were plenty to pick from.

Northbound trains took the outer track, which meant she would have to pay attention to any oncoming freights on the inside track. And she wouldn’t be able to look down the line as easily, not without people getting suspicious. Instead of hiding in the trees and hoping for the best, she could stop at one of the parks or beaches. She could earn some more bits, and find a train around nightfall. But she wanted to move, be back on the rails. She’d had a nice time in Seattle and now it was time to go on. Just as soon as she had some breakfast.

•••

Her saddlebags were devoid of food—she’d forgotten to stop at a grocery store to get anything for the road. None of the restaurants she’d flown over were open yet, which left her to either fly away from the tracks and find something, eat leaves and grass, or try her luck fishing. Just past the Silver Cloud Inn, there was a small park with a cluster of piers in the water, and she knew some fish liked to swim around piers.

Piers also might have mussels on them which were okay to eat and easy to catch. The difficult part was getting inside; they had hard shells that had to be cracked open with a hoof.

She stashed her saddlebags on top of a pier, then took flight again and circled around the forest of piles, doing her best to think like a fish. The water wasn’t very clear, which made it hard to spot them.

A smart fish would stay hidden unless it was after food. Minnows and herring and other small fish were easy enough to spot in their flashy schools near the surface, and a bigger fish might be hiding near one of the piles, waiting until he saw a meal passing overhead to dart up and grab something.

It was easier to fish when she wasn’t distracted by the sound of every passing train, but she nevertheless managed to find a small trout and flew it to shore.

When she was done eating, she kicked the bones and guts back into the water, retrieved her saddlebags, then flew over to the park’s restroom to refill her water bottle.

There was a small flier taped to the wall imploring her to help save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus, a creature she’d never heard of. Octopuses lived in the ocean, not temperate rainforests . . . but the flier had a picture of an octopus nestled among pine branches. That was something to watch out for next time she found a tree to nest in.

•••

Her belly full, she settled into a scrubby, tree-y hillside just north of a fireboat on display in a parking lot and watched the trains go by. A southbound grain train, a northbound container train. A mixed freight with long strings of tank cars, clusters of centerbeam flats, and a few auto racks coupled near the end.

Some of them had locomotives on the rear end, others didn’t. There wasn’t enough cover to risk boarding a locomotive.

By noon, she was getting hungry and impatient. She could have bought a ticket on Amtrak and been on her way already, but there was no fun in that. Instead, she nibbled on some wild berries and watched another northbound train rush by too fast to catch. It was hard to say which was worse, to not have any trains, or to have a plethora of trains she couldn't catch. It was obvious most of them were accelerating out of the yard and had picked up pretty good speed by the time they passed her hiding spot.

She would have been better off flying back towards the yard and finding some cover there, picking a train that had just left. She could even do reconnaissance and find a likely-looking one, and then her ears perked as she heard another approaching train. This one was running slow, and she risked a short flight above the octopus-free trees to see what it was hauling.

Loads of grainers, one of them a familiar pink color. She’d found her ride.

•••

Catching a moving train in broad daylight with limited cover was not unlike stalking a tasty trout. She dropped back into the trees and waited until the locomotives thundered past, then she broke cover again to get an eye on the cars, checked for any southbound trains that could ruin her approach, and launched herself out of the tree.

She could lose some height to gain speed as she dropped down to track level, and then she was flying alongside the train, the slipstream of passing cars buffeting her. She’d memorized the cars leading her target, and as her grainer rolled alongside, she was nearly on pace with the train.

The next part was the trickiest. One more glance to make sure that there were no oncoming trains or any other obstacles to ruin her day, and then a quick snap to her right between the supporting bars of the grainer and its side. Confusing winds off the back of her grainer and the trailing car, and then her hooves were on the steel floor.

She’d barely had time to settle in when the train decided to go into a tunnel.

•••

When the train emerged on the other side, Sweetsong cautiously poked her head over the edge. The water was still on the right, but now they were headed southbound.

On the plus side, there were no roads or houses, only trees and tracks and a view of the water. She leaned up against the ladder on the car and after looking down the length of the train to make sure there weren’t any more tunnels coming up, gazed out over the sound. Off in the distance, she could see a suspension bridge that they would go under. The land to the south didn’t curve around as far as she could see, although she knew the train hadn’t gone westward enough to be at the Pacific.

The tracks were close enough to the water that she wondered if waves sometimes splashed the train. Today it was calm, but it was easy to imagine a strong storm washing up against the rails.

She’d gotten wet with rain, but never sea spray, not while riding a train anyway.

There were only a few places where she had to duck back down as the train hugged the coast, a few small clusters of houses or an industrial building. There was a chance that the engineer might spot her in his rearview mirror, but she thought that was unlikely—with all the trees and gentle curves in the track, he wasn’t likely to spot her muzzle or forehoof sticking out of the edge of the car.

A sailor might, but the boats she’d seen were staying offshore.

They skirted the edge of a town, passed a ferry terminal, and before too long were back in the woods again. An island off to the west had a ferry tied up to its dock.

Further along, she spotted a wreck jutting above the waters, a grey-colored hull with its upper works missing, no doubt torn off by waves.

South of that, at the base of the sound, the water started turning marshy, and became solider and solider until there was land on both sides and then there was a road, and she had to crouch back down in her car and watch the scenery pass from a lower vantage point.

Now the land looked more like the Midwest she was familiar with, although with far more pine trees. Fields and farms and towns, level crossings, and the train kept paralleling roads.

Judging by the sun, the train was headed generally south-southwest.

It waited outside a small town, and then when it continued on, it was on a single track.

A few miles further on, it slowed again, and she stuck her head over the side, quickly spotting the signals and an approaching yard.

It was getting late and she was hungry, so she hopped off the train alongside a lumberyard, stretched out, and flew into town to find dinner.