• Published 17th Jan 2021
  • 2,914 Views, 99 Comments

What makes a Hero? - Quillion9000



Goten starts to feel down since he doesn't seem to live up to his idols, but he will get his chance in the land of Equestria. This land needs a hero, but if he can't understand what that really means, the land will fall.

  • ...
6
 99
 2,914

Lost City:Part 2

Aboard the Carriage
Goten, Braeburn, Fleur, Daring, and Blueblood currently sat within a carriage which the later had ordered to fly as low as possible with their proximity to the lost island of Unity.

“My aunt seemed to believe the ship which crashed into Unity was Namekian in origin, and I have been informed you know of them Goten.” Blueblood stated. “What were they like where you come from?”

“Truth be told, I think I’ve only met one Namekian who you would consider standard while the other I know is more of an outlier.” Goten stated. “Other than that, I haven’t met many Namekian’s, but I’ll tell you what I can from all the knowledge I do have.”

“That would be acceptable.” Blueblood stated.

“Namekians are humanoid like me; however, they have plant and slug-like characteristics.” Goten explained. “That’s fitting considering they don’t have to eat and can sustain themselves with water.”

“A race like that doesn’t sound that tough.” Daring commented.

“I suppose some of them weren’t, but I wouldn’t write them off.” Goten stated. “They have four clans in total. Dragon, Warrior, Worker, and Demon; however, that later one was a byproduct of a Namekian’s time on earth. He ended up separating himself, and they formed two halves.

The evil half was a real terror that only martial artist managed to stop. Granted, they weren’t anywhere near how strong I am but still. Eventually he was sealed only to be released later. When my dad was kid, he had to contend with this Demon Clan Namekian.

He managed to bring this Namekian to the brink of death. Before he died, this Namekian spawned an egg forming a new Namekian which would keep up with and even surpass my dad at times. That said, this child wasn’t entirely evil.

He ended up aiding my father and eventually became a steadfast ally. As for Warrior Namekians, they are the ones who defend the rest of their people. Worker Namekians perform all the general labor and were rumored to be quite gifted with technology.

Lastly, there is the Dragon Clan which are generally supportive to the other classes. They have abilities pertaining to magic like healing or creating objects. They are also the ones who birth any of the three classes. One thing they can create are the mythical dragon balls.”

“I’m sorry but dragon balls?” Fleur questioned.

“They are seven orbs which, when gathered together, can grant any wish with restrictions being set by the power of the creator.” Goten explained. “They scatter across the planet when the wish or wishes have been made, and the creator must be alive for them to function.”

“Wow, those sound like some mighty fine orbs.” Braeburn commented.

“Pray tell, what restrictions are there?” Blueblood asked.

“As I said, it depends on the creator.” Goten replied. “The ones we had back on earth were once restricted to one wish under their original creator, but the next one to come along granted us three wishes or two if we intended to bring more than one person back to life.

A constant between them was that the dragon balls cannot bring back anyone who dies by natural causes. Then, there were a set of larger dragon balls on the home of the Namekians which could grant three wishes, but only resurrect one person per wish.”

“That is rather fascinating.” Blueblood stated. “To my knowledge, not even an alicorn has managed to create an object capable of granting wishes while Namekians have done it three times over based on what you said.”

“Trouble!” Goten suddenly stood as he was sensing several sources of Ki all around them. “We need to get down now!” Several blue beams came at the carriage soon after. “Nope, I’m bringing us down!”

The Half-Saiyan’s fist slammed into the carriage bottom with enough force to send them crashing to the ground. Fortunately, everypony there, including the pegasi who pulled the carriage, managed to brace for impact. Then several figures came from the foliage.

They were ten Namekian Warriors, roughly around 1st form Frieza in terms of power, who surrounded the group. Blueblood and his group were preparing to defend themselves. Goten knew none of them were strong enough to handle even one of these warriors.

That wasn’t even mentioning the eleventh warrior, who was far stronger, which was making his way here. The only upside to all of this was that the whole situation seemed to be a mistake. From what Goten could tell, none of the eleven Namekians felt malicious.

“You four need to wait and keep the guards under control.” Goten spoke up. “I think we can end this peacefully.”

“Listen to the Saiyan if you know what is good you ponies.”

“Yeah, we are not afraid to defend ourselves from the likes of you.”

“You six will pay for taking a Saiyan hostage.”

Well, there was a lot to digest from that. Either Namekians here were very unlike Dende or Saiyans in this universe weren’t like the stories Goten heard about Vegeta. Additionally, they seemed to have something against ponies.

While the Namekians were confused by Goten’s words, they chalked up to some form of Stockholm Syndrome. The group of four shared looks amongst each other while the pegasi did the same with one another.

“I mean it.” Goten declared firmly not wanting anyone to make the wrong move before turning his attention to the Namekians. “Look, I think there’s been a huge misunderstanding, and I can only assume that presence I feel is your strongest. Can we wait for him? I want to talk.”

“No need because I am already here.” A Namekian with light green skin and a white gi underneath a dark blue robe landed just ahead of the circle of Namekians. “For us to talk, you must be the only one to speak. We do not trust pony kind.”

Goten looked back at the six ponies. They didn’t like how firm or angry these guys seemed, but the Half-Saiyan had to believe there was a reason for this.

“Alright, that is fair.” Goten looked back at his group with a pleading look. “None of them will talk until you say it’s okay.” Blue Blood nodded before giving firm looks to his friends and two guards. “Okay, let’s start with something simple. My name is Goten. What is yours?”

“I am Shale.” The Namekian replied. “I lead my people’s Warrior Namekians.”

“That is nice to know.” Goten declared. “What I would like to know more is why you attacked me and my friends.”

“You would call ponies your friends?” Shale questioned angrily. “It was a creature like them that snatched away our friends in the alicorns and my mentor. What’s worse is, they were able to mask their malicious intent. Clearly, they have misled you.”

That word certainly drew attention from the ponies, but those more in control of themselves managed to keep those not in control of themselves silent.

“Alicorns…” Goten shook his head. “You’re telling me your people lived with alicorns.”

Goten knew from Celestia that there had been more alicorn. Even though these Namekians had survived the Wendigo, he didn’t think they had survived with some alicorns. That was big news especially if you considered that said alicorns had been taken by a pony.”

“There is a lot to digest here and share between our two groups.” Goten stated. “Would it at be possible for me and my friends to come with you to your home?”

“We welcome a Saiyans, but not ponies.” Shale declared. “The only way they would be allowed within our territory would be with magical suppressors and subjecting themselves to being locked up while they stay with us.”

Goten looked back at the group only to see that none of them were a fan of that with Blueblood shaking his head.

“Look, there is much we must hash out.” Goten stated. “How about this? I’ll come with you while you leave six of your men here to keep tabs on my group. They’ll be free to talk and set up camp while your men promise not to hurt them. If they leave, your men can bring them in.”

Shale mulled over Goten’s words. The Namekians knew Saiyans as steadfast allies, but there was something about this boy’s Ki that made it not completely Saiyan. Add onto the fact that he associated with ponies, and you had a problem. Still, there were no stories of a Saiyan betrayal.

“We will agree with those terms.” Shale declared. “If you need to discuss them with your group, you are free to; however, they should keep in mind that our hearing is exceptional. As such, anything they say, no matter how loud, will be heard by everyone here.”

Goten nodded before walking back to the group.

“Goten, are you crazy?” Daring asked. “It’s too dangerous for you to willing walk into their land especially after they tried to shoot us down.”

“I must agree with Daring on this.” Fleur declared. “Any guard worth their salt knows you never enter antagonistic territory alone not matter how strong you may be.”

“I don’t know guys.” Braeburn stated. “It sounds like this might be our only way to complete our objective. Quite frankly, I’m not up for aggravating these folks.”

“I have to concur.” Blueblood stated. “These folks must have their reasons for distrusting our kind, and there is much we do not know about their situation. Just the fact that they’ve encountered ponies before us is shocking since Unity hasn’t been above ground until recently.”

“Look, I get that each of you has your own feelings concerning this; however, this may be our only shot at doing things right.” Goten stated. “The fact is, both sides need to exchange information and clear up whatever misconceptions we have. Just, go with me on this.”

Braeburn and Blueblood were more than willing to let the young Half-Saiyan go, but Fleur and Daring were reluctant. Regardless, they nor the guards were going to stop him because Goten raised good points.

The Half-Saiyan approached the Namekian. “Alright, I’m ready to go.”

Shale looked to six of his warriors. “Stay here and be vigilant over these ponies. None of them are to leave, but if any of them do, simply bring all of them in for imprisonment. Two of you must go ahead and inform our Grand Elder while the others will accompany us on foot.”

“Yes, Shale!”

Two warriors flew off in the direction of Unity while Shale and two warriors left with Goten. Blueblood and his people were left with the last six who fanned out to secure the area.

“Alright, you know the drill when others are around.” Blueblood reminded before sighing. “Let’s get to work setting up a functional camp.” He looked to the guards. “I want you to assess the status of the carriage and our supplies.”

The six ponies got to work.

Unity
Shale, the other Namekians, and Goten had been silent the whole walk towards the formerly lost island as they internalized what little each side had to go on. Upon reaching the island… well, it wasn’t much of an island to begin with.

That was probably due to it having crashed back into Concordia all those years ago and then having countless millennia to integrate back with the land while it had been within. In truth, it was an impressive sight. The city wasn’t walled, but it was at least three stories tall.

Each section was marked by rather high stone walls with pathways spiraling up to each section. Goten could imagine homes matching that décor, but now they were the white with blue windowed homes of the Namekians.

The only remaining building, potentially, from that far in the past was a white spire which sat in the middle of the highest section of the city. Beyond all of that, there was room for farm land, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls.

As Shale led Goten into the city, it was thriving. Just by the size of this place, and the number of Namekians he saw, the Half-Saiyan knew this population far outstripped that of the 100 or so he heard about on his universe’s Namek. As he walked by, children, adults, and elders alike stopped to look at Goten with fascination.

“Whoa, this is impressive.” Goten commented.

Despite Shale’s currently mixed feelings, he did take great pride in the city his people had come to call home all those millennia ago. “This place has become my people’s pride and joy.” He nodded. “We take care of it the same way our ancestors and the Alicorns did in before us.”

“Really?” Goten asked in awe. “So, you and the alicorns lived peacefully? I had heard your ship crash landed here before the island sunk back into the land.”

“You heard correctly.” Shale replied. “Our ancestors had heard of Equis from the dragons of Zaka Chagg and decided to visit. Their ship had not been prepared to deal with such a danger, so they crashed. Fortunately, once all was said and done, we were able to explain ourselves.

The alicorns saw we meant no harm, and it’s not like they had much left to fight us with anyways. After realizing the severity of their situation, the Grand Elder at the time created our own set of dragon balls. He wished for everyone to to be safe from the Windego’s.

Our dragon, Tia Lung, was able to grant the wish burying Unity beneath the land and well away from the grasp of the Wendigo. In a few years, the alicorns magic returned, and we attempted to emerge on the surface. Our power, their magic, and our dragon balls could not achieve this.

The alicorns theorized that it was the magic of Equis which prevented us from doing anything. Once the reality of our situation came to light, we worked together carving out a life for ourselves. Things have been peaceful for many millennia until a pony appeared a century ago.”

“What happened then?” Goten asked interested.

“It would be better if you heard that tale from our Grand Elder.” Shale replied. “Speaking of which, we have arrived at his home.” As they spoke, the pair had walked all the way to that spire at the top of this city. “He should be expecting us.”

Shale opened the door and the pair walked in to find a muscular giant of a Namekian. He was at least eight feet tall and sat on a throne. Like Shale, he had light skin while his attire consisted of white pants, a red vest, and purple cape akin to that of Piccolo’s white cape.

Shale got on one knee before him. “Grand Elder Cital, I bring you the Saiyan known as Goten.”

“Of course, Shale.” Cital stood and offered his warrior a warm smile. “You have done well in protecting our people from potential loss. Now, leave me with our guest so that we may discuss the matters before us.”

“At once.” Shale declared before leaving.

Once he was gone, Cital approached Goten with a friendly smile. “So, you are the Saiyan my people speak of.” He nodded. “While I do sense that is part of who you are, I do not get the feeling that is all you are.”

Before Goten could speak, Bardock appeared. “Even that isn’t the whole story of what he is.”

“Fascinating.” Cital looked from the transparent Saiyan to the Half-Saiyan. “I understand there is much you may like to know; however, I do ask that you share your side first.” He moved back to his throne. “Please speak, as you have my attention.”

Goten looked to his mentor. “Think I should start from the beginning and tell him what I can?”

“That would be for the best.” Bardock stated. “While I was out there, I met Namekians, and they value honesty.”

“Good point.” Goten walked forward. “Well, to understand me, I’m going to have to start with what I know about the first of me…”

So, Goten recited everything he knew about Yamoshi, Shallot, and Bardock. Even though he didn’t know too much, he put forth all he had. Then, the Half-Saiyan explained what he was before moving onto his own life.

What it was like in Universe 7, how Bardock got him here, the time he spent with his friends, and ended it by relaying why his group was here to begin with. Goten naturally kept certain secrets he could but revealed why he didn’t say anything as well.

Cital listened intently before speaking. “For someone young, you’ve lived an interesting life.

“Maybe, but if you ever get the chance to talk with my father or brother, you’d hear more interesting tails.” Goten stated.

“You may not be a Saiyan of this universe, but you’d certainly fit in with the people we remember.” Cital declared. “If you would like, we would be willing to let you try our dragon balls. Though I’m uncertain if they have the strength to send you back to your universe.”

“I could go home…” Goten stated in shock.

“I’m not sure that would work.” Bardock spoke up. “Yamoshi once told me he went to Namek in hopes of returning home, but their dragon balls were incapable of sending him back. They could not override the element.”

Goten looked at the ground.

“Ah yes, the Saiyan known as Yamoshi.” Cital nodded. “The tale of his arrival and wish has been passed down among our people; however, we have had a great deal of time to boost our own dragon balls power. Perhaps, there is a chance.”

“I-I don’t know.” Goten shook his head. “While I would like to go home, there has to be a reason I was brought here. After all, there was a reason Yamoshi, Shallot, and Bardock were brought here to. Perhaps, we could see if it is possible. First, why do your people not trust pony kind?”

“It happened just one hundred years ago…” Cital began.

One Century Prior…
This city thrived thanks to the magic of the alicorns and what technology our ancestors had managed to scavenge from the ship. A combination of both gave us an artificial sun perfect for growing the food the alicorns needed.

We also had more than enough food for them and more than enough water for both races. Our people gave up on reaching the surface long before this point, but we were happy with the life we managed to carve out. Then, a false hope appeared…

A slimmer Cital sat across from a an alicorn with an orang mane and red coat as they played a game of chess. According to the elders, the alicorns had introduced this game to their people. They have played ever since with wiser Namekians taking to it well.

“Morning Star, you’ve played a good game.” Cital moved his bishop into place effectively boxing his opponent’s king into place. “In the end, this is checkmate.”

“Yeah, I concede.” Morning Star smiled fondly. “I remember the days when a certain young Namekian couldn’t have dreamed of beating me. Now, he beats every game we play.”

“Well, I do have a certain advantage.” Cital tapped his head with a smile. “Being the reincarnation of Grand Elder Escart gave me a great head start.”

“Heh, old goat.” Morning Star smirked. “Even from beyond the grave, he finds his way to continue besting me. Still, I can take satisfaction in the earlier wins I got off you.”

Suddenly, a dark green Warrior Namekian burst into the room. He wore a simple red gi with a black belt.

“Grand Elder Cital and Prince Morning Star, some creature calling itself a pony has suddenly appeared within Unity’s main plaza!” The warrior exclaimed.

The alicorn and Grand Elder shot to their feet.

“Are you certain Ghiro?” Morning Star asked.

“My student and several others saw them appear.” The warrior replied. “The pony is harmonious in energy and calmly awaiting our leaders.”

“Do you think this is a sign?” Cital asked. “Perhaps the alicorns could see the surface once more, and we could fulfill the wishes of my ancestors?”

“It is a distinct possibility.” Morning Star admitted. “We must temper our hopes. Remember, we were able to enter the surface but not return ourselves. Do temper expectations… though a little hope is not a bad thing.”

We made our way to the central plaza and saw a unicorn with a brown coat, orange mane, and green eyes. She said her name was Gari, that she represented the Children of the Night, and she had heard about Unity from old folk lore…

Present
“Wait, Children of the Night?” Goten questioned.

“Yes, that is what she proclaimed her and her people as.” Cital stated. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, recall that I spoke of Princess Luna.” Goten reminded. “She and her sister each have other tittles. Princess Celestia is the Princess of the day while Princes Luna is the Princess of the Night.”

“Princess of the Night…” Cital contemplated. “A most troubling connection though you did allude that she was gone from the land for roughly one thousand years and only returned recently.”

“Yeah, just something to note.” Goten nodded. “Can you continue your story?”

Cital nodded. “As I was saying, we arrived at the plaza and greeted the pony known as Gari…

Past…
Morning Star and I arrived in the main plaza to see Gari standing amongst several Namekians and two alicorns. She seemed to be chatting amicably with everyone, and no one seemed to mind her presence. That likely had to do with how harmonious she felt and her bright personality.

“Is the sun like our artificial sun, and is the moon actually bright?”

“Yeah.” Gari stated. “The sun you got here is a great representation of what I see every day, and the moon gains it’s light from the sun. Beyond that, the night sky is filled with beautiful stars that light the sky further at night.”

“What is weather like?”

“We can hear about that from the alicorns.”

“I know, but it could have changed since they’ve been up there.”

“Don’t forget, none of them alive now were alive back then.”

“Weather is a tricky subject.” Gari replied. “It can be snow which is cold or rain which is damp. There are tornados and hurricanes. There are also just sunny days or cold fronts. All in all, it’s controlled by pegasi who have wings like an alicorn but no horn.”

“Wow, so there are really other versions of you?”

“Yeah, I’m what’s known as a unicorn and we’re the most magically gifted.” Gari explained. “Then, there are earth ponies who work the land and pegasi who have command over the sky.”

“Alright, I think that’s enough for now.” Cital interrupted with a smile. “I’m certain our guest wouldn’t mind answering any questions you all may have later.”

“Quite right Cital.” Morning Star declared. “For now, let us give her some space and disperse.”

The crowd did as their leaders said leaving her be.

“Greetings unicorn Gari from the surface.” Cital bowed. “I am Grand Elder Cital, and I lead the Namekians.”

“Grand Elder?” Gari questioned. “You don’t seem that old. Oh, no offense meant.”

“No offense taken little unicorn.” Cital smiled. “Before we met the alicorns, it would have been an elder who took over my position, but our Grand Elders have taken to a form of reincarnation when their life is at the end. I am the son of Grand Elder Escart.”

“Ah, fascinating.” Gari then looked at Morning Star feigning ignorance as she knew what an alicorn was. “What and who are you?”

“I am Prince Morning Star and I lead my fellow alicorns.” Morning Star smiled. “Cital and I tend to rule together. I believe, based on your explanation of your races, we would be composite beings. Creatures who take traits from all three of your races.”

“I must be honest.” Cital stated. “As much as I wish to see the surface, I had feared there wouldn’t be anything left up there. It is good to know that life has found a way.”

“It has.” Gari nodded. “Besides pony kind being a sentient race, there are dogs, cats, dragons, and so on.”

“Oh, where are our manners?” Cital asked. “Since we don’t get many guests, you can come stay with the prince and I in our tower.”

“I would be delighted your majesties.” Gari stated with a smile. “Honestly, getting down here was rather taxing.” She took a deep breath and seemed to lose some of her energy. “I did my best to make a good first impression though. After all, I wasn’t certain what I’d find.”

For a time, things were good. Gari informed the alicorns of what changed and let my people know what the surface was like. Slowly, Namekians and alicorns began to have hope that we’d get to see the surface. About a month into her stay, she acted…

Cital was looking out the window which overlooked all of Unity. Gari had explained that they’d be able to go to the surface tomorrow because the spell she used took a long time to prepare. In the meantime, she’d made a real impact on both species.

“Ah, hello Cital.” Morning Star stated. “Knew I’d find you up here.”

Cital turned to see his friend had come up the stairs with a strange, red prism held by his magic. “You know me well Morning.” He smiled. “What is that you have there?”

“Gari said she’s been practicing making these gems and felt alright presenting them to the alicorns for their hospitality.” Morning stated. “She also informed us that she’d be making something unique for the Namekians and hopes to have it done before we reach the surface.”

“She is a thoughtful pony.” Cital smiled before looking out the window. “Still, the surface…”

“I know. Honestly, I never thought we’d be able to see the land of my species ancestors.” Morning Star came to stand next to him. “Even if the land has changed, it will be quite the…”

He suddenly stopped causing Cital to look at Morning Star. The Grand Elder noticed that the prism he held had embedded itself in the alicorn’s chest. Beyond that, his eyes were glowing red, and Cital could feel an immense power. At the same time, it was still harmonious.

“Morning Star?” Cital asked before the alicorn became a sort of liquid. “Morning Star!?”

He tried to reach for his friend, but the alicorn was sucked into the prism which then rocketed into the city. Looking out there, the Namekian could hear the screams of his people as well as see various other prisms collecting in the main plaza.

Cital flew off in that direction and landed in the middle of his people only to see the prisms collecting themselves in a bag held by Gari. There was a dome of energy around the unicorn as Ghiro was bound at her hoof’s unconscious. A young Shale and the other warriors furiously attacked the dome, but it never wavered.

“Gari, what is the meaning of this!?” Cital asked in shock.

“I’m sorry Cital, but my people need these alicorns.” Gari stated simply. “This Namekian of yours is just as vital to our cause per my master’s order.”

“Gari, don’t do…” Cital tried.

It was to late as everyone was suddenly blinded by pure, white magic. When they opened their eyes, Gari, the Namekian, and alicorns were gone.

That day, we lost many friends because we trusted a pony…

Present…
“I’m sorry that happened to you, but you can’t hold all of pony kind responsible for the actions of one.” Goten stated. “Bardock and I have lived among them.”

“Honestly, there are some bad eggs out there but living in fear of what they may do won’t do you any favors.” Bardock explained. “Everyone is capable of good and bad. If you close yourselves off, that’s just no way to live.”

“I’m just not certain.” Cital stated.

“I understand; however, those ponies with me were trusted by Princess Celestia.” Goten stated. “She’s an alicorn just like your lost friends. Please, give them a chance, and I promise you won’t regret it.” He stood. “If they do something wrong, I’ll submit myself to your custody.”

“Normally, I would deliberate on this more, but hearing about those Elements of Disharmony does sway me.” Cital sighed. “I will allow your group in, but the two guards must leave this land. Only they will be permitted to return for you and your group at the time you specify.”

“That’s acceptable.” Goten nodded. “Can I get my group now?”

“You may but remember that their actions will reflect on you now.” Cital reminded.

“I will keep that in mind.” Goten nodded. “Thank you, Grand Elder Cital.”

The Half-Saiyan then left the spire while Cital hoped he wasn’t making a mistake.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! It's Quillion9000 dropping that new chapter I promised in my blog post. In case you haven't seen it:

As of right now, I will only be focusing on What makes a Hero?. That doesn't mean The Equestrian Element or Yu-EQ-Gi-oh:Road to Quantum is dead. For the longest time, I had a lack of motivation to write those two stories as my focus has been on a Pokemon story.

I've decided that my time shall be divided between this and that pokemon story on another website. Weather that be writing one or multiple chapters of one story or the other. Either way, this story will be seeing more consistent updates... hopefull.

Now, the Namekians in this chapter are OC's in appearance, but I did take the names from the Dragon Ball Fusion video game meaning, according to one source of dragon balls, any names given to these Namekians are Namekian names.