• Published 15th Jan 2021
  • 862 Views, 40 Comments

The real Twilight - TwinAttorney864



The Rainbooms all have one question, do they really know their friend Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
4
 40
 862

Ah, Middle School...

"I'm BOOORRREEEDDDD!" Pinkie wailed.

"We know Pinkie," Sunset said, staring up at the cotton-candy colored roof of her friend's house. "You said that 5 minutes ago, and five minutes before that, and five minutes before that..."

"Yeah, I know Sunny," Pinkie replied, " but that was an extra-long Bored, it was even italicized and bolded!"

"What 'n tarnation do you mean Pinkie?" Applejack said, her hat over her eyes as she laid on Pinkie's bed. "You know what, don' answer that, I'dun wanna know."

The Rainbooms have been like this for the entire morning. While it was summer break, it was so hot that anything to do outside would immediately make you tired and wash out (Rainbow learning the hard way when she ran to the Boardwalk). Since Pinkie's room was the only one large enough for all of them that also had A.C (Sunset couldn't buy one, Applejack didn't need one, and Fluttershy "enjoyed the natural air."), they all decided to just crash in her room until it was cool enough.

"Yo, Pink's," Rainbow called from the other side of the room, "How hot is it this time?"

Pinkie pulled herself up long enough to check the temperature on her windowsill, "37 C, Rainbow." Pinkie called, before slumping down back into her rugged floor.

"37??" Rainbow's eyes bugged out, "that's up 2 from an hour ago!"

"Well, technically," Twilight began, looking up from her book, "Because it's the highest point in the sky, the noon sun is always the hottest, and because the way the Earth revolves on its axis..."

"Yadda yadda yadda," Rainbow mocked Twilight with her hand, "I get how the sun works, Twi, I passed science after all!"

"Yeah, with a C!" Rarity berated her, said girl filing her nails on the bed, "and even then, you tried to bribe me and Twilight to help you cheat on your test!"

"Semantics, Rares," Rainbow shot back, now playing rock-paper-scissors with herself. "I passed, and that's all that matters."

“Well, it’s not like we can even go and do anything.” Applejack remarked, this time sitting up. “Most shops closed up early cause it was too hot to get any work done.”

“Well, why don’t we just watch something on Haytube,” Pinkie asked, already pulling it up on her laptop. “It’s not like we got anything else better to do.”

A chorus of ‘sure’ and ‘why not’ rang from the friend group, except for their book-loving friend.

“No thanks, I’d rather read this book.”

“What’s that book even about Twilight?” Sunset raised an eyebrow. She took the book from her friend, and flipped to the front, “The Universe in a Nutshell: By Steven Hoovings? Twilight, isn’t this like collage masters-level kinds of stuff?”

“I know, but it’s an interesting read. I especially liked how...”

“I’m going to stop you right there Twi,” Rainbow said, putting her finger on their nerdy friend’s lips. “You're probably going to say something about atoms, quarks, or black holes, and we’re probably going to fall asleep listening to you about it.”

“Only you Twi,” Applejack began, looking up from a video of a cat dancing to Nyan Cat, “can take anything fun or remotely interesting, and make it a snooze story.”

“Yeah, I mean you’re the only gal I know, darling, to turn down going to Prom with a senior in favor of just studying at home.” Rarity quipped, also looking up from the dancing cat video.

“Yeah, because I don’t have time for ‘parties’ or ‘dance’ or anything like that.” Twilight shot back.

“I mean, honestly, Twilight,” Sunset began, “You got to loosen up a little. Maybe go out more, dress in something that doesn’t look like it came out of a prep school and Forever 21 mixing machine. Maybe even throw on some contacts.”

“Hah!” Twilight snorted, “I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing contacts Sunset. They’re too itchy for my eyes.”

“But I suppose,” Twilight sighed, “I guess I can stop reading every minute of my life, for now.”

“Well, it’s at least a start, Twi. Now come on! There’s a video of a guy dancing in a banana suit on to of a Mcdonald's sign!” Rainbow called out, her eyes already back on Pinkie’s laptop.

“Honestly, girls,” Twilight remarked, “What’s so good about a dancing banana?”

*7 hours later*

“I cannot believe we watched 7 hours of guys in banana costumes dancing.” Twilight facepalmed.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!” Pinkie kept laughing. For some odd reason, the pink-haired girl kept laughing at even the stalest of jokes and most mundane of gags in the videos.

“Well, I’ll be,” Applejack said, looking at the clock. “It’s already at 7 o’clock. Hey Pinkie!”

“Yeah Applejack?” The pink-haired girl turned to face her friend.

“You think we can stay at your place for tonight?”

“As long as everyone’s okay with it, I’m fine.”

“Fabulous, darling, I shall get our sleeping bags.” Rarity said.

“And I’m going to get the snacks!” Rainbow called out, before sprinting down the stairs.

“I’m going to get the movies!” Pinkie called out as well, before following Rainbow.

“Applejack and I will get the beer!” Sunset yelled, then ran down the stairs laughing before Twilight can berate her.

“And how about you Fluttershy?”

...

“Fluttershy?”

Twilight turned around to see Fluttershy staring at the screen, the videos still on autoplay. She kept watching videos over and over, her eyes never leaving the screen. After 5 minutes of just watching the girl, Twilight just backed away, “Ummm...”

“PARTY TIME!!!” Pinkie yelled before Twilight got a fist-full of confetti thrown in her face.

*Several hours of games and baking that I don’t have time to type later*

The impromptu party lasted for several hours. Surprisingly, no one (except Fluttershy, who was still watching Haytube) had retired to bed and everyone was still up. Currently, they were in a Truth-or-Dare game.

“Alright, Pinks, Truth, or Dare?” Rainbow asked the party-planner.

“Dare me, Dashie!”

“I dare you...” Rainbow looked around, staring at each of her friends, before settling on one of them, “To pull Fluttershy out of watching Haytube.”

Suddenly, the room goes quiet. Even Pinkie, who was usually up screaming all the time, floated mid-air as she contemplated this. Everyone knew how Fluttershy got when she was ‘in the zone.’ Twilight, who did not know what they meant, once tried to pry Fluttershy out of watching Haytube.

They still haven’t fixed the dent in the wall Twilight made when she was thrown into it.

“...alright, I guess.” Pinkie agreed, after a moment of hesitance. Everyone knew the punishment of not taking up one of Rainbow Dash’s dares, and they had all agreed Fluttershy was the better option. Pinkie slowly made her way to Fluttershy, “Umm, Fluttershy, do you think... you’ve been watching too much Haytube?”

One second passed...

Two seconds passed...

On the third, Pinkie thought she was safe, before hearing Fluttershy turning her head, and gave her The Stare.

“Alright, alright! Nevermind!” Pinkie quickly replied, before sitting back down.

“Alright, Pinks, you know the rule if you don’t follow through in a dare.” She then scooted closer to Pinkie, and whispered,

But don’t worry, we’ll take care of it later.” She said with a sultry grin, before going back to her spot. Noticing that Pinkie was blushing, she quickly chose another person, “Twilight! Truth or Dare?”

“Truth!” The purple-skinned girl answered a little too quickly. She wasn’t about to go anywhere near Fluttershy anytime soon.

“Have you ever gone clubbing?” Rainbow asked with a grin.

“WHAT? NO! We’re underaged Rainbow Dash!” Twilight screamed.

“Yeah, I know, I just had to confirm it.”

“But why did you even ask that question?” Twilight asked puzzled.

“Because,” Rainbow began, “I found what looked to be a fake i.d underneath your bedroom yesterday when we were doing homework.” As she said this, she pulled out her phone and showed everyone a picture. Sure enough, it showed Twilight’s face, and her name, but with a faked age and D.O.B that put her well above 21. The name was also ‘Midnight’ instead of ‘Twilight’.

“Oh, yeah, that brings up some memories...” Twilight began, but then caught herself just as fast, “OF THE PARK! OF THE PARK!” When everyone gave her a puzzled look, she explained, “It was a gag gift Shining gave me at an amusement park upstate once. He joked about how it would have given me access to the ‘mature section’ of the park.”

Unsurprisingly, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow laughed at that, Rarity made a gagging noise, Applejack tried not to laugh, and Sunset just grinned like always.

“But, that brings up an interesting point,” Rarity said, “What would Twilight act like if she actually went partying?”

A chorus of ‘what?’ and ‘huh?’ came from her friends.

“I mean, just look at yourself darling, you’d be a smash hit at any party with the right clothes. It would be an interesting thing if you started to go partying yourself.”

“Yeah right, Rares,” Rainbow remarked, “Egghead here would probably just try to find a couch and read a book about drinks or something.”

“Haha...yeah.” Twilight said, “Totally would just be reading...”

“Sugarcube, anythin’ the matter?” Applejack asked, noticing the bookworm's flustered look.

“Ahahahah, nothings wrong Applejack. “Twilight said, waving off her friend.

“Alright then, if nothin’ else, I think it’s time we head to bed.” A chorus of agreements rose from the group (Excluding Fluttershy) before everyone went off to their respective sleeping bags.

“Twilight, you coming?” Sunset asked, her bookworm friend just standing there lost in thought.

“Augh! Sorry, Sunset. Yeah, sure, I’ll be there. Just gotta...head to the bathroom!” Twilight said, laughing nervously.

Sunset looked at her, seeing if there were any subtle changes in her friend's stance, before shrugging and saying “Eh, don’t take too long in there.”

“I won’t!” Twilight yelled, running to the bathroom.

She closed the bathroom door. After listening to hear if anyone was still outside. She exhaled slowly, before making her way to the mirror. She washed her face and went to dry herself off. When she looked up, she saw that her hair-tie fell out. She went to pick it up, but when she looked in the mirror to tie her hair back, she stopped. The Truth Rainbow Dash gave had pulled up some... interesting memories of her life before Crystal Prep, before Canterlot even.

If she squinted, she could barely make out the past her. She remembered the nights long ago, with Moondancer, and Twinkleshine. She remembered neon lights, long hours in the bathroom because Twinkleshine always insisted that a girl had to look her best when going out. She could remember long nights of planning, sneaking beer underneath her parent's noses, planning some of the best nights Cambridge School of Gifted Individuals could ever remember...

"NO!" Twilight yelled, slamming her fist on the marble countertop. "I moved here to Canterlot City to get away from all of that, not again..."

She looked around, checking to see if anyone heard her little outburst right there. Content that no one heard her, she went to her bag and dug to the lowest point in it. She found the bottom of her bag and slipped her fingers through the fake bottom, pulling out a small purse. In it, she opened, to find what remained of her past life as Midnight Sparkle, CSGI's party planner extraordinaire and popular girl, followed by her friends Moondancer and Twinkleshine. There was a polaroid of her and her friends, all laughing as Twilight popped a champagne bottle. She pulled out the first beer bottlecap that she ever got, and, finally, the only pair of contact lenses that she owned. She remembered that night long ago when she was about to move to Canterlot, that she took off her contacts for the last time and put on her glasses for the first time...

Flashback:

"You don't have to leave, do you?" Twinkleshine sobbed.

"I don't' want to leave you, girls, either, but my mom and dad got a better job up north, and they wanted to move immediately."

"They couldn't even wait until Spring Break??" Moondancer's lips quivered, "We were supposed to throw the biggest party of our lives!"

"It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. They want to move us as fast as possible."

Twinkleshine sobbed a few more times, before wiping her eyes and looking at her friend for possibly the last time. "Make sure to throw some parties for us, will you?"

Twilight softly shook her head. "The school I'm going to won't even be the public school, my parents enrolled me in the private school there. I don't even know if they like parties up there. You know how prep schools are. I'm sorry girls." Slowly, she released Twinkleshine, then pulled out her contacts, and placed them in their container, before pulling her glasses case. She remembered when her parents first got her this pair, and she had to beg them to buy her a set of contacts instead.
As she slowly walked away, Moondancer pulled her into a hug once more, "Don't forget us, will you Midnight?"

She chuckled softly, "Why would I ever forget my best friends?"

Slowly, Twilight gasped, and opened her eyes, and saw her contact lenses, the case open, and one of them already on her fingertips. She exhaled slowly, before putting them back and slipping them into her bag. She got so lost in thought, she didn't even realize that when he opened the door, all her friends are right there, not until she smacked face-first into Sunset's chest.

"Twilight," Sunset said with a raised eyebrow.

"Hehe, yeah girls?" She said, swallowing the saliva in her throat. Before any of the girls can answer, Sunset grabbed her arm, and her eyes flashed white, before turning back to their normal color.

"Yeah, it was her."

"Wait, what was me?" Twilight said, her breath slightly quickening.

Before Sunset can explain, Pinkie beat her to the punch, "WHEN WERE YOU GOING TO TELL ME YOU THREW PARTIES IN MIDDLE SCHOOL?!?!?!"

"Wait! Who told you that?!?!" Twilight asked, her hands grabbing the hem of Pinkie's shirt and pulling her up to her face.

"Darling, I'm all for having parties, but not with the amount of booze you had..." Rarity replied sheepishly.

"Yea, and I thought' ahm the beer girl here, sugarcube, but you'd drink Big Mac under the table!" Applejack replied with a grin.

"Everybody, stop, NOW!" Twilight yelled, getting the attention of all of her friends. "Now, who the hell told you about Middle School?" Twilight seethed.

Suddenly, everyone slowly turned their way to Fluttershy, the pink-hair girl just being noticed by Twilight just now. "Meep!"

*Flashback to about 10 minutes ago*

Fluttershy didn't know what time it was. It was a vice of hers, she knows. Once she started watching Haytube, there was little else other than her parents or sleep that would stop her. Videos upon videos flew by on the screen, and yet Fluttershy kept watching. Currently, she had been binging a series of party videos that she and Pinkie were watching, said girl having stepped out to get some popcorn. As she aimlessly continued watching Haytube, her eyes fell on a recommended video for her,

"CSGI 7th-grade graduation party at Sparkles!!"

She blinked, her brain trying to comprehend this discovery. "It can't be... But there isn't another Sparkle..." Fluttershy whispered to herself. Slowly, her hands left the cocoon of blankets she was under to go and select the video...

*Party Scene involving a younger Twilight Sparkle that I can't write**Use your imagination, but make it like a stereotypical frat house party*

Fluttershy tried to process what she just saw. She knew everyone had a secret that should never get out, hers involving some dogs at the animal shelter, but she didn't know how bad Twilight's was until...now.

"Pinkie Pie," She called to the bouncing girl coming up the stairs, "Call the girls, and find where Twilight is."

*Back to the present*

...

...

Sunset swore she could hear the hearts beating in her friends with how quiet it was. Nobody made a move until Twilight did:

"Aww fuck me." She facepalmed, then went into the bathroom. A string of curses can be heard from inside it, before she walked out, looking completely different.

Her glasses were gone, replaced by a pair of cyan contact lenses. Her hair was let down, in a similar matter to how her pony-counterpart had it. She had a distinctive amount of blush applied to her, evident by her not wearing any sort of makeup for the better part of a year. She kept her shirt, yet wore a purple coat over it. She had a pair of ripped jeans with a gd amount of use to them. If she closed her eyes, Sunset could almost imagine this as the Twilight version of Sunset before the Fall Formal.

Twilight pushed past all of the girls, who naturally began bombarding her with questions, and made her way to the room's exit, and into the kitchen.

"Alright, first I'm going to start drinking," Twilight said through clenched teeth, already making her way downstairs, "Then I'll let Midnight explain what the fuck is going on."

Author's Note:

I'll be honest, I had no idea what I was getting at here. I just took an idea and started writing, and before you know it, I've been writing for 5 hours straight.

This was originally going to be a one-shot, like The real Rarity, which gave me this idea, except I got into the whole Moondancer and Twinkleshine thing and realized I'm making another series, aren't I?

Don't worry, this won't interfere with To Forgive Or Forget, although the greater emphasis on editing and proper writing will be put on To Forgive Or Forget because that was planned, and this will just be what can be chalked up to 'free-writing'.