• Published 14th Jun 2021
  • 831 Views, 27 Comments

The Mystifying Adventures of Occult Readings and Gallant Knight - Giftmak3r



A unicorn with rather unique intrests teams up with a rather bizzar thestral colt to save the world or something.

  • ...
3
 27
 831

A Question If You Wouldn't Mind

He found himself staring at the colt as he pondered how to go about his questioning. It was quite clear that the colt didn't want to speak givin that he refused to even make eye contact but Occult couldn't just leave this discovery be.

"So young fellow, it seems we will be acquaintances for the foreseeable future, how about we properly introduce ourselves?" he asked with a sly grin. Still the colt didn't even look at him, his eyes fixated on the door. "How about I start? I am the renowned demon hunter, Occult Readings, well know for my studies on demonology and all things cultish and creepy."

Still the colt did not respond.

"You know we'll be working together until the royal gaurd comes to save us right? It would be best to get to know each other at least." Occult pleaded. He was desperate to find out more about this species. Finally the colt did something. He took a deep breath and sighed.

"Why don't you either shut up or help me find a way out of this cage?" the colt said rather cruelly. At least the part about batponies being meaner was true.

"There's no need to throw a fit, the royal gaurd will save us soon." Occult explained to the colt. At this point the colt got up and stared at him angrily.

"Are you serious? We are literal slaves and your response is 'oh just don't worry about it the cops will save us'!" he shouted in a mocking tone. The colt turned around in a huff fluttering his wings and flipping in tail in agitation. While the colt was clearly upset with him there was one thing that stood out in his outburst.

"Cops?" He inquired. Occult had never heard of a cop before in all of his travels, not a single town in all of Equestria had used such a word. As he thought the colt froze, clearly indicating that useing that word was a 'slip up' as the youngsters say.

"Uh yeah, it's what colts my age call the guard old man. What? You've never heard it before?" the colt said in a very unconvincing manner. It was clear that he was hiding something, Occult just needed to find out what. Was he raised not to speak with ponies, or perhaps some even grander secret.

"So tell me how you got to these quarries. The only town nearby is Ponyville, and I know that there are no thestrals there. Were you playing with your friends, going for a fly or what?" with each word from Occult the the colt became more nervous. It made Occult feel bad for pressuring the colt but he had knowledge to things that he wasn't able to find elsewhere. Seeing how uneasy the colt was he figured laying off a bit would allow him to get an easier question in.

"Ok, I can see you're nervous, how about an easy question instead. What's your name young colt." Occult questioned. It was something simple and easy. The colt should have had no problems awnsering it. Instead the colt ummed and awed trying to think of a way to avoid it. The secrecy of something so simple was starting to irritate him. "Did your mother not raise you to be polite to other ponies?"

That accusation seemed to rile him up. "Hey, my mother was a great woman!" The colt shouted in defiance. And that peaked Occult's interest. A woman? Just what is that?

"I presume that this 'woman' is a new slang for mares these days hmm?" Occult asked in as smug of a tone as he could. This colt was terrible at lying and worse at keeping secrets. All he had to do was push just a little more. "Just awnser a few easy questions and I won't pester you for the rest of the night."

The colt was is a nervous state, clearly not knowing what to do. He was caught in a trap and didn't know how to get out. "Only if you promise never to tell the guard." the colt whimpered.

Bingo.

"I doubt you would get into any trouble with the gaurd little one, but if it eases your mind then I promise." he reassured the colt.

"You gotta cross your heart and hope to die." the colt responded rather cryptically.

That was for sure an oddity and one Occult couldn't ignore. Perhaps thestrals were very religious? Possibly using sacrificial ceremonies? No, not even after the Era of Discord were cults that cruel. Which just left him to wonder where this colt learned such a promise.

"Very well, I swear not to tell the gaurd or any other authority, cross my heart and hope to die." Occult reassured, and with that the colt looks down the caverns as if looking out for a dog.

"Ok, my name is Gabe Bellings." the colt said in as low as a voice that he could while still being audible.

"Gabe, that's quite unusual for a pony name, and for some reason I don't think it's common for thestrals either." Occult grilled. There was something very off about this 'Gabe' and he was going to get down to the bottom of it.The colt looked ashamed of something and dug his hooves into the ground.

"I didn't mean to," he whimpered tears begening to form in his eyes, "I just woke up like this, I don't know what happened."

Ears forwards Occult focused intensely on the now crying colt. He thought that maybe playing into the colts worry would help awnser his questions best. Trotting up the the colt he laid next to him and spoke in a reassuring tone. "Now now, I'm sure it wasn't your fault. There's no need to worry. Tell me what happened and I can help you."

Sniveling the colt stuttered as he spoke, "Y-y-you wouldn't sniff belive me."

"Listen here young colt, did you forget who you're speaking to? I am Occult Readings, I study the strange and unbelievable for a living. There's nothing you could say that I wouldn't at least look into." he reassured the colt once more. His bravado seeming to inspire young Gabe at least a little.

"Well in that case," he pause seeming to gather his words, "I wasn't always a pony.... or young." He stopped once more annoying Occult. There was so much juicy mystery here and he was getting more impatient by the second.

"You see, I was a creature called a human and I was a twenty-six year old man. I don't know what happened. I was just at work when I fell asleep. Next thing I know I'm out in the middle of nowhere and I get surrounded by dogs. I thought it was just a dream, but that illusion failed me after I was kicked by the dog in red."

That was a lot for Occult to take in and he immediately began to unpack it. He had heard of humans before. One of his old college marefriends was obsessed with them, but he couldn't both be a human and transport himself to this realm seeing as humans supposedly had no magic. Thinking about it he realized that the colt was either lying or was brought to this realm by an outside force. Something that was immensely powerful. Something that Occult would investigate as soon as he got out of this cell. Yes, this night was begining to look wonderful.

"Oh don't worry young Gabe, I'll look into you're case with the upmost haste." Occult chuckled.