• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 25,359 Views, 568 Comments

Trixie's Gettin' Back On Her Hooves - Shadow Raikou



Accidentally stumbling upon a homeless Trixie, Twilight must help her get back on her hooves.

  • ...
19
 568
 25,359

Chapter 9 Part 1: Making Amends

Checker walked off into the night, leaving Helping Hoof and the Diamond Dogs to their own devices for the time being. After a few moments of silence, Fido looked to Helping Hoof. "How pony know scary magic?" asked Fido, shuddering.

"You mean her dream infiltration spell?" asked Helping Hoof, looking to the Diamond Dog.

Rover nodded uneasily. "I no know much about ponies, but I know I never see pony do that…"

Helping Hoof sighed, looking rather sad. "Well…I don't know where she learned the spell itself, but I do know where she learned half of her method. She learned to control dreams from her grandmother, Helena Midsummer, just like Trixie has."

"Why?" asked Spot, scratching his head.

"Helena's trick is meant to let one control their own dreams, not the dreams of others," explained Helping Hoof. "She taught Checker for the same reason she taught Trixie; to deal with nightmares."

Rover blinked. "Scary pony have nightmares?"

Helping Hoof gave a sad chuckle. "I know, it's surprising somepony like her would, but don't forget, she's still a flesh and blood pony…In many ways that makes her even more frightening," he continued. "…As for why she learned her spell; imagine what it'd be like to have complete control over your dreams, to control that realm with a thought…Checker is a mare who desires one thing above all others; power. That desire is not in and of itself a bad thing, but it is why she's become the way she is, she threw away everything she saw as an obstacle to obtaining her desire until she became the mare you know now. She desires power even more than you three desire gems."

The three Diamond Dogs looked quite shocked. "And Diamond Dogs want all the gems…" Rover replied.

"And Checker wants all the power she can get, and then some. I suppose the 'strong rule the week' mentality her father taught her and Trixie worked too well in Checker's case," explained Helping Hoof, looking rather disturbed. "She is one of the most powerful ponies in Manehatten, but even that isn't enough. Her fortune is power, her social status is power, and being the boss of her own company, one of Equestria's largest corporations, is power, but none of it is enough, just like having absolute power over the world of her dreams wasn't enough for her. So she found a spell to extend that power into the dreams of others," he continued, looking somewhat scared. "Of all the kinds of power Checker has, the kind she covets the most is power over others, after all, she believes the strong have the right to control the weak. And that kind of power is exactly what her dream infiltration spells lets her have. Because once she takes control over their dreams, they are at her mercy and if they don't know the same trick her grandmother taught her, then there's nothing they can do about it until they wake up. And sometimes even that can't protect them."

The Diamond Dogs shivered, now even more afraid of this power the mare possessed.

"It's just one of many tools Checker Monarch has to maintain the power over others she craves so much, and is constantly learning more, because she can never have enough…" he explained, not seeming hateful, he sounded as if what he described was something to be pitied instead of hated.

The Diamond Dogs looked at each other in confusion. "Why pony sad?"

"Oh, just thinking…I'm not going to pretend Checker has a heart, when she had to choose between it and her lust for power, she chose her lust for power. I imagine, if he ever had a heart, Discord did the same thing with his when it came to his…games," All four shuddered, each with different memories of that day. "…It's just…sometimes I wonder if someone who's traded away their heart can ever be truly happy…Anyway, that's personal feelings, onto the point…I think that's why she hates her sister so much," said the unicorn stallion, looking over towards the library. "She is jealous of her sister, but I think that is just the reason it's Trixie and probably how it started, not the sole reason she does it now. Trixie is the one being that Checker had been able to maintain power over almost her entire life. Since that poor mare was a foal, Checker has been controlling her life like a puppeteer every chance she got," he revealed, looking as if he were recounting something from memory instead of second hoof. "The only way Trixie was able to cut her strings and live the life she wanted for herself was by leaving home and taking a profession that let her wander Equestria. And I think that Trixie was able to do that ate away at Checker every day. The 'chess piece' she'd been using since she was a filly had escaped her clutches…Now that she's got the chance to regain control over Trixie's life, I'm afraid of what she might do."

Rover looked horrified. "That scary…"

"Indeed it is," said Helping Hoof. "I think Checker could bare it before because she still had power over Trixie in a way. Trixie was still following the ideas that Checker had indoctrinated into her, she was still the Trixie Checker had done her best to mold her into…Now Trixie is starting to break free of that, and that's something Checker is unable to bare." Helping Hoof sighed, suddenly looking like a beaten dog. "And I think another way she handled it originally was by finding a chess piece to replace the one she lost…"

The Diamond Dogs looked at each other. "…Who is that?" Rover asked.

Helping Hoof briefly looked back at his Cutie Mark sadly. "…I don't want to talk about it…" he said, looking remorseful. "…Just be glad when all is said and done, you stop being part of her game…"

That sentence sent a chill down the three dogs spines.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Trixie…come on, get up," said Twilight, trying to rise Trixie from the bed.

Trixie slowly got up, looking down miserably. "…Trixie is up…"

"Trixie…I know you're hurt, but you can't just lay around and pout, that won't solve anything," Twilight said, teleporting up and putting a hoof on her shoulder.

Trixie sighed. "…Trixie has not given up, Twilight…Trixie just wonders if this will actually work…"

Twilight gave her as reassuring a smile as she could manage. "You'll never know if you don't try."

Trixie couldn't help smiling herself. "Alright, your smile is rather contagious…Where is Trixie's first act of community service?"

"At the Cutie Mark Crusaders' school. You'll be trimming some trees," explained Twilight, trying to sound reassuring.

Trixie gave a sigh of relief. "At least it's near ponies Trixie knows don't hate her…and likely the two that helped her ruin her life…" the mare replied, the last part in a deadpan voice.

"Trixie, you can't scare the horse apples out of Snips and Snails."

"Fine…And what about the teacher?"

"Miss Cheerilee? She wouldn't hold a grudge on you," said Twilight, sounding fairly positive.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because the Cutie Mark Crusaders gave her and Applejack's brother the Hearts and Hooves Day love poison once in a well-intentioned, but ultimately disastrous attempt to make Big Macintosh Cheerilee's special somepony. She forgave them after giving them a proper punishment."

Trixie blinked. "They…what foal gave three fillies that recipe?!"

Twilight blushed. "Um…I kind of gave them the book…" she replied, getting an incredulous look from Trixie. "I didn't expect them to actually use it!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All you need to do is trim the tree limbs that are too flimsy to survive a storm, Trixie," said Cheerilee, giving a kind smile. "Do you understand?"

Trixie nodded, looking down at the gardening tools, made for Earth Pony use, but her magic could do just as well. She'd told the others to go about their business, she didn't want ponies to give them grief because of her, or someone to accuse her of having help, not that she'd take it anyway. "Trixie believes she understands…Thank you for giving Trixie a chance…"

Cheerilee nodded with a smile. "You're welcome, Trixie. When you're a teacher, you learn to give others second chances, how else are students to learn?"

Trixie smiled lightly. "Thank you."

Cheerilee nodded. "Alright, well I wish you luck," she said, trotting off to prepare for her classes.

Trixie picked up the limb trimmers with her telekinesis and prepared to begin when someone tapped her on the shoulder. "Hello?"

A white unicorn mare with a blond mane and tail was standing behind her. She wore sun glasses over her eyes, but her face still looked rather angry. "You're Trixie, right?" the mare asked, in a rather high pitched voice with a sharp quality to it.

"Yes, that is correct," Trixie replied, cocking an eyebrow. The voice sounded familiar, there was just some quality in it that rung a bell. She peaked over at her flank to see a Cutie Mark of a star burst. "What do you want?"

"Not that I like you or anything," said the mare, reminding Trixie of some mares she'd seen at the mall. But the closer she looked, the more familiar the mare seemed, but she couldn't put her hoof on it. The mare got closer. "But here in Ponyville, we have a rule; unicorns doing public service for a crime can't use magic. You've got to do it the Earth Pony way around here."

Trixie gave a frustrated sigh. "Really?"

"Really, and I mean it. You could get in big trouble," said the mare, with a sharp air to it.

Trixie groaned. "Fine, Trixie won't use her magic," said the unicorn, biting down on the mouth piece used to operate the device by biting down to close the cutters.

"Good, you better," said the mare, turning and walking away, but not before looking back with a cold smirk once Trixie's back was turned.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So Trixie is really out there?" asked Snips, peaking over at the mare as the foals were out in the playground before class. He then blinked at the flash of Featherweights' camera, who as usual was simply photographing anything that interested him. He also noticed Dinky and Pipsqueak talking, occasionally giving glances in Trixie's direction.

"Yeah…" replied Applebloom, looking uncertain. "But yah might not want ta talk to her right now."

"Why?" asked Snails, blinking as he looked over.

"Yeah, we just want to thank her for inspiring our magic act," Snips replied, looking baffled.

"Um…It's…well…" Sweeite Belle started, rubbing her head. "You kinda…"

"Took her story seriously and caused the accident that ruined her life," said Scootaloo, being the blunt one.

"Though she admits it's her fault for lyin' in the first place, she might still hold a grudge on you two," said Applebloom, rubbing her head. "Ah'd wait for things to settle down a bit."

"Oh yeah…" said Snips, both him and Snails looking a bit guilty.

"Look, I'm sure she'll forgive you," said Scootaloo. "She just needs time, she's going through a lot right now."

The two colts looked at each other, then to Trixie.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The mare that Trixie had spoke with walked up to Helping Hoof. "I knew there was a reason I kept you around, Helping Hoof," said the mare, in Checker's voice. The stallion's horn glowed yellow as he broke the illusion spell on the mare, reverting her to Checker, though her mane remained down. The spell fell off as if it were a costume and it was clear the spell hadn't changed her body shape much at all. "Though of course, the vocal change was all mine. No wonder Trixie can work in show business, there's nothing to it. Where did you learn that spell again?"

Helping Hoof looked down, having a rather miserable look. "…When I was training to work at a theatre as a colt…"

"Oh yes, how could I forget? I remember how much you cried when your father pulled you out, a pity really, you were quite good at it," Checker said, with her usual cold tone, despite what she said making Helping Hoof lower his head almost to the ground. "It's quite useful, even if it can't change certain traits, and is only good for quick moments before they catch on," she said, rearranging her mane back to it's proper style. She then reached behind her and pulled off the sticker of a starburst on a white backdrop from her flank where it'd covered her Cutie Mark with her teeth. "Thank you for giving me that lovely excuse to buy these in bulk."

Helping Hoof cringed. "…"

"What do you say when someone thanks you?"

"…You're welcome, Miss Monarch…"

"Good boy," said Checker, giving an icy smirk. She then turned and looked out at Trixie, who struggled to use the trimmers with her mouth. "Oh Trixie, you've always been so easy to fool," she said, giving a cold smirk.

"What we do?" asked Rover, looking up at the mare, now more terrified of her than ever after Helping Hoof's story.

"Simple," said Checker, in a calm, cold tone. She took out her chessboard and looking it over. "We follow her…" she closed the locket shut with a resounding snap. "…and humiliate her," she finished, her tone as detached as could be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trixie cut off several tree limbs that had gotten too long. It was hard going, her mouth hurt, but at least she was making progress. "Um…hello?"

Trixie turned to see a little grey/purple unicorn filly with a yellow mane and golden eyes. Next to her was a white Earth Pony colt with a brown mane and spots, one of which was over his left eye. Trixie set down the clippers gently. "Hello…filly and colt…"

"My name is Dinky," the filly replied.

"And I'm Pipsqueak!" the colt chimed in. Trixie instantly recognized a Trottingham accent.

"Dinky and Pipsqueak…" said Trixie, finding the names interesting. She noticed both foals were blank flanks, she hoped the poor things weren't being bullied for that reason. "Those are interesting names…"

"Thanks," said the little filly, seeming quite cheerful. "You're Trixie, right?"

"Yes…" Trixie replied, slightly confused.

"My momma said you did something really bad…" said Dinky, but before Trixie could cringe, the child gave a smile. "But she said that you felt bad about it…"

Trixie blinked. "Yes…Trixie feels terrible for what she did…Trixie didn't want to hurt anyone…"

Pipsqueak prepared to reply, but then blinked. "Um…pardon, but you have a bee on your head."

"Huh?" asked Trixie, looking up to see a bee had landed on her horn. She looked up further just in time for a beehive to land on her head.

Predictably, Trixie screamed as she was stung, as did Dinky and Pipsqueak, and Trixie ran around, taking the bees with her…right into the playground.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spot climbed down from the tree, looking to Checker. "Well done," Checker said. "I knew I was doing the smart thing when I trusted you with that job," she stated, handing the Diamond Dog some gems before watching the chaos the beehive stuck on Trixie's head caused as the panicked mare ran around. "And this is just the opening act."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trixie cringed, the beestings still hurting as she carefully held a stick in her mouth she used to pick trash up off of the streets of Ponyville. She was grateful she wasn't allergic. "At least Cheerilee wasn't mad at Trixie…" she muttered with a miserable sigh. A stallion threw a candy wrapper at her hooves, glaring at her as he passed. She gave another sigh. "That's the sixth time…"

Checker watched from the shadows of a nearby alley with her group, her chessboard out, about fifteen ponies on her side, only Trixie on hers. "All the pawns moving just as I planned," she said, giving an icy grin.

Helping Hoof looked surprised. "But…how can you have expected that?"

Checker nonchalantly handed Helping Hoof the list he'd given her before. "I was rather busy last night."

Helping Hoof blinked, then his eyes widened in horror, the Diamond Dog's reacting much the same when it hit them what happened. "You…you gave those ponies nightmares?"

"What else did you suppose I was doing last night?" Checker asked, not seeming to notice his horror, or caring.

"But…those were innocent ponies who'd been hurt by the Ursa! I thought you were just going to pass out fliers to them!"

Checker turned slowly and narrowed her eyes into a glare. Helping Hoof began shaking in his hooves, but couldn't look away. "Is that a problem, Helping Hoof?" she asked, stepping towards him, glaring with more intensity, making Helping Hoof break out in a cold sweat. But her tone was conversational, almost friendly. "If it is, I can always fire you. I mean sure, I'd have you blacklisted, but at least you'd still have your morals. Not that I need to blacklist a worthless-"

"N-no, M-Miss Monarch…t-there's no problem, n-none at all," interrupted Helping Hoof, still unable to break Checker Monarch's terrifying gaze. It was like he was mesmerized.

Checker gave a cold smirk and turned away. "I thought so."

Helping Hoof panted in terror, sinking to his flanks.

Checker watched as the eighth pony threw a wrapper at Trixie's hooves. Without a change of expression, she telekinetically stretched the trash saddlebags that Trixie was wearing, slowly so not to attract attention, until finally, the weight of the garbage inside caused them to rupture and spill their contents everywhere around and on Trixie.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scootaloo groaned, looking at her beestings. Due to half the class being stung by bees, Cheerilee had postponed class until she could make sure none of them were allergic. It was her job, after all, to make sure that none of her students got hurt. "Well, that stunk," the orange Pegasus stated.

"For who?" asked Applebloom, not seeming as bothered by her beestings. After all, when you lived on a farm getting stung wasn't anything unusual. "Trixie got humiliated…again."

"Yeah…" Sweetie Belle said, looking down. "And just when Dinky and Pip were saying something nice to her…"

Scootaloo was about to say something, when a hoof tapped her on the shoulder. She turned to see a lanky cream Pegasus colt with a brown mane and a feather for a Cutie Mark. "Oh, hey Featherweight. What is it?"

The Pegasus handed them a couple pictures, not speaking. Pipsqueak rarely spoke, Scootaloo assumed he was just shy.

As the trio looked over the photos, Featherweight pointed to something in one of them.

"I don't…" Sweetie Belle started, then all three gasped in shock. "Uh oh…"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checker gave a small yawn. She looked rather frustrated. "I suppose all that dream hopping last night took it's toll on me."

Helping Hoof gave a sigh of relief.

"Helping Hoof," the mare stated, causing Helping Hoof to jump.

"Y-yes, Miss Monarch?"

Checker looked to him, giving an cold grin. "I am going to take a nap. You are responsible for ruining Trixie's next community service attempt."

"Me?!" asked Helping Hoof, shocked.

Checker nodded. "And don't try anything funny. Because if Trixie spontaneously knows I'm here, I'll know who to blame," she stated, getting Helping Hoof to gulp. "Same if I hear you didn't make a token effort at humiliating her," she continued, her voice not changing as she approached him. "Am I clear?"

"C-crystal…"

Checker then looked at the Diamond Dogs. "Oh, and I wouldn't recommend any of you trying anything either," she said, her tone remaining perfectly level. "Because if you tell somepony I'm planning to ruin a mare's life, who do you think they're going to believe? The big powerful mare from Manehatten? Or the filthy subterranean canines who have a history of ponynapping?"

Rover and company gulped, giving a nod of understanding.

Checker nodded, walking away slowly before looking back. "Oh, and just so you know, I'm a VERY light sleeper, so if you had any fantasies about kidnapping me in my sleep, you can forget it. And remember what I said I'd do if you double-crossed me."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A rather filthy, bee stung, miserable looking Trixie stood with a paintbrush in her teeth on a ladder leaning against the house of a purple-furred mare named Berry Punch, painting the side of the house white. Cheerilee had set it up, apparently she was Berry Punch's elder sister, and Berry Punch's house had been damaged by a Love Poisoned Big Macintosh pulling it several blocks, then dragged back afterwards.

Helping Hoof looked out of a bush at Trixie, gulping. "…Maybe I should just…" he started, looking truly conflicted, sweating. "No…if Checker finds out…" he muttered. He looked back up, seeing Rainbow Dash clearing clouds over Ponyville. He gasped slightly, then looked back to Trixie.

Helping Hoof telekinetically gripped the ladder. "…I'm sorry…" he said, tears in his eyes as he rattled the ladder.

Trixie let out a scream as she lost her balance suddenly.

"Huh?" asked Rainbow Dash, hearing the screaming. She looked down in time to see Trixie lose her balance and begin to fall. "Trixie!" she yelled, taking off at full speed, adrenaline rushing.

Trixie fell, Rainbow flying right after her and catching her. Rainbow curved downwards and flew a few feet to slow down, not wanting to give Trixie whiplash.

Rainbow Dash set Trixie down. "Trixie, are you alright?" she asked, genuine concern on her face.

Trixie panted, trembling in fear, and looking more miserable than ever. "Trixie…" Trixie struggled to remain composed. And failed. "T-thank you. Rainbow Dash…T-Trixie needs some alone time…" the mare muttered, lowering her head and slowly trotting towards the library. Rainbow Dash swore she saw the mare's colors dim slightly.

"Trixie…" Rainbow Dash muttered, rubbing her head.

"Serves her right…" said a pink mare on the street corner.

Rainbow Dash was in her face in a second, glaring daggers at her. "Don't you EVER say that again!"

The mare staggered back, but then glared back. "That Ursa crushed my cart! I had to work overtime for a month to pay it off!"

Rainbow's eyes softened slightly. "And that makes it right for her to get hurt when all she wants to do is make up for what she did?" asked Rainbow Dash, sternly, but not yelling.

The mare looked uncertain. "Well…I…"

"Does it? Think about it."

The mare looked conflicted. "I…"

Rainbow watched the mare walk away to think about what she'd been told, before the Pegasus turned to the ladder. Looking close, she saw it was firmly rooted in place. "How could she have lost balance…she's not that clumsy…"

"Rainbow Dash!" yelled Scootaloo, urgency in her tone.

"Huh?" The mare turned to see the three fillies and one colt run up. "Hey girls, and…colt I've never seen before…"

"This is Featherweight," said Applebloom. "He takes the pictures for the paper."

"Well, he took them originally, then became editor when Diamond Tiara tried to blackmail us to stay Gabby Gums, then traded jobs with the pony Miss Cheerilee gave his old job to because he liked taking pictures better," Sweetie Belle explained, confusing herself with the explanation.

"Right…So what is it? Trixie needs me," said Rainbow.

"That's kind of what this is about," said Scootaloo, Featherweight handing the rainbow maned Pegasus the two pictures.

Rainbow blinked, looking at the pictures careful. One was of Trixie talking to Dinky and Pipsqueak and the other was the same. She didn't see anything…then it hit her. In the second picture, she could see the beehive just above the branches, but not connected to anything. She narrowed her eyes.

"Well what are we-"

"Yeah, that's pretty cool, nice pictures of trees, good job Featherweight," said Rainbow Dash suddenly, back to normal. Before the fillies could react, she winked quickly. "Hey, can you three meet me at my house latter?" she asked, keeping an eye out. "I've got something I'd like to show you."

Scootaloo blinked, then got it and smirked. "Oh, sure, we'll come."

"Yep! We'll see yah there!"

"It'd be our pleasure."

"And don't forget to have Twilight use that cloud walking spell on you," said Rainbow Dash, giving a smile. "Now I've gotta go, see yah later."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helping Hoof sighed in relief when Rainbow Dash caught Trixie. "Thank Celestia…" he said…then saw Trixie's reaction and his face dropped. Helping Hoof slowly headed back towards Checker, his head almost to the ground. "I'm sorry…" he muttered, guilt clear in his voice.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Trixie…Trixie, please come down," said Twilight, Trixie having returned to her bed and not moved since her fall. "We want to talk to you."

"…Trixie doesn't want to…" said the showmare's miserable voice, sounding almost on the verge of tears. "…Please leave Trixie alone…please…"

Twilight sighed, walking downstairs were the rest of group had assembled. "She's not coming down…" she said, worry plain on her voice.

"Can yah blame her?" asked Applejack. "The poor girl's had one rough go of it…And things just ain't lookin' up for her."

"I wish there was something we could do," said Fluttershy, concern in her tone.

"I tried everything! I even used puppets!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie, the Element of Laughter having two sock puppets on her hooves, earning stares of confusion from everypony.

Rainbow Dash remained silent, looking like something was on her mind.

Rarity looked thoughtful, thinking about it. "…I'll talk to her…alone."

"Alright…" Twilight replied, uncertain.

"Good luck, Rarity!" said Pinkie, acting as if it were her puppets saying it.

Rarity blinked. "Thank you…Pinkie Pie's…puppets…"

"And if you can't do it, and the puppets didn't work, then this calls for extreme measures!" exclaimed Pinkie, and her puppets.

Rarity blinked. "Ok…you do that…I'm going to go talk to Trixie…"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helping Hoof looked up at Checker as he returned. "…I did as you told me, Miss Monarch."

Checker nodded, stretching after her nap. "Good, good. What did you do?"

"…Knocked her off the ladder she was using to paint a house…" Helping Hoof replied, remorse clear on his face. He left out that Rainbow Dash had saved her.

"That brings back memories," said Checker, giving a cold smirk. "Well done."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Trixie!" called Rarity in her typical sweet, over-the-top fashion as she entered the room. "Please come down and talk, darling."

Trixie huffed, not rising from her bed. "Trixie doesn't want to…"

"Trixie, you know you can trust me," Rarity replied, sincerely. "Please, just tell me what's wrong."

Trixie sighed. "…You're not going to leave until Trixie tells you, are you?"

"No, I shall not."

Trixie got up, walking down to Rarity, her posture looking like a beaten dog. "…It's…" Trixie started, then sighed, lowering her head. "You wouldn't understand…"

"Let me guess, you've got nothing and no matter what you do, you can't seem to get out of the gutter? And no matter how hard you try, it seems like you're walking in place and doomed to fail?" Rarity asked, with sympathetic smile. "That about it?"

Trixie blinked in surprise. "Yes…how did you-"

Rarity sighed. "Because, believe it or not…I've been there."

Trixie's jaw dropped. "But…but you're-"

"A successful fashion designer who caters to Canterlot elite and has connections in high places? Yes," Rarity replied, a little pride in her tone. "But I wasn't always like that."

Trixie didn't know how to reply. This mare had once been poor? "But Trixie had assumed you were old money…"

"Well I'm not, and proud of it," said Rarity, smiling lightly. "I grew up in a suburb in Manehatten, my father was out of work and my mother had a low end job. We barely had enough money to make our rent a month, let alone have any luxuries, we barely had enough food to survive on. No matter how many times my father tried to get the professional hoofball career he wanted, he just never made the cut. No matter how many times my mother tried to get a raise, she was shot down…And the neighborhood bullies just loved to rub it in."

"But…how did…"

Rarity smiled. "Hard work. My parents kept trying until my mother got promoted at work and I earned my cutie mark, allowing me to find gems to help supplement it. Then finally, my father got his big break and made it count." Rarity put a hoof on Trixie's shoulder. "And I know you can, Trixie. You're a strong girl, a weak one wouldn't have lasted over a year on the streets by themselves. My circumstances may not have been as bad as yours are, but you've got more ponies to support you through it than we did."

Trixie looked Rarity in her caring eyes. "…You really think so?"

Rarity gave a nod of agreement. "Yes…Trixie, you're a lot stronger than you think you are."

Trixie gave a small smile. "…Thank you, Rarity…Trixie needed that."

"Whatever else are friends for?" asked Rarity, smiling happily.

Trixie then frowned, clearly still having doubts.

"Trixie! Someone's at the door for you!" called Twilight, sounding happy.

Trixie blinked, then looked panic. "For Trixie?! Is it an angry mob?!"

"No, I think you'll like it."

Trixie walked up to the door, finding Dinky and Pipsqueak waiting for her, both with some beestings. With them was a gray, walleyed Pegasus mare with a yellow mane, her Cutie Mark bubbles. She had a pair of mailbags hanging off her, and a mail pony's hat on. "Hello, I'm Ditzy Doo…or Derpy Hooves, I don't really mind which," the mare said with a smile. "You already know my daughter Dinky and her friend Pip."

Trixie gasped. "Trixie is sorry! She didn't mean to get them stung by bees!"

"It's alright, I'm not mad, I know it was an accident," the Pegasus replied, good-naturedly. "They just wanted me to take them over on my way home from work."

Trixie blinked. "You mean…you don't hate me?"

Derpy frowned. "What? No! Why would I hate you?"

"But…the town…they booed Trixie off stage and pelted her with rotten tomatoes."

Derpy shook her head. "That was mean. I was in the front row. I heard you say you were sorry," she said. "And I forgive you. If everypony forgave me for accidentally destroying city hall, I can forgive you."

Trixie blinked. "Wait…what?" she asked in a flat voice with a raised eyebrow.

Derpy blushed in embarrassment. "Well…they said they wanted me to put a rain cloud next to city hall…but I ended up with a thunder cloud by mistake…And sometimes I don't know my own strength and I ended up accidentally destroying more of it with my flank…That happens sometimes…Like that one time with the Cyb-wait, the Doctor said not to tell anypony about that…"

"Oh…" said Trixie, still confused, but deciding to move on.

"I agree with momma," said Dinky, rather sweetly. "You're sorry and want to make up for what you did, so I forgive you too."

Pipsqueak gave a nod. "They're right! Princess Luna seemed big and scary when she came to Ponyville, but she turned out to be really nice! She's my favorite princess now!"

Trixie chuckled slightly at the child's excitement. "Trixie is sure that makes her happy…" she said, before giving a bewildered look at the three ponies. "You…you really do forgive me?"

All three nodded. Trixie's eyes teared up.

"T-thank you…Trixie doesn't know what to say," Trixie stated, smiling.

"I'm back and-" Pinkie shouted, hopping in and noticing the scene. She was also wearing a large gift package around her body, swim fins, and big sunglasses and carrying a large amount of balloons. "Aww, I missed cheering up Trixie!"

"Um…sorry?" said Trixie, completely confused and bewildered.

"Nah, it's fine, so long as you're happy!" said Pinkie, pulling off her costume as one solid piece and throwing it away. "So what do we do now? We still need plot resolution!"

"That…that's a good question…" said Twilight, thinking about it. "Trixie may be feeling better, and not everyone in town hates her, but there's still the matter of fixing her public image…"

Trixie sighed, looking down miserably. "And Trixie still failed at every attempt at it…And every attempt to get a job…"

Twilight nodded, the group looking thoughtful. "I know…this reminds me of what happened with me at…Winter Wrap Up!" Twilight exclaimed, a light bulb literally turning on above her head. She then looked behind her to find Spike on her back, replacing said light bulb.

"Sorry, the bulb was burned out," Spike replied, hopping down.

Twilight turned to Trixie. "Trixie, during the Winter Wrap Up, I failed catastrophically at literally everything I tried…"

"That sounds familiar…" said Trixie in a snaky, yet downtrodden tone.

"…until I tried something I was good at!"

"You mean magic?"

"Nope! Organization!"

Trixie blinked. "Ok…but what does this have to do with Trixie's predicament?"

"Trixie, you're failing because you're doing everything except your actual talent! We haven't once tried the things you're really good at!" Twilight exclaimed, ideas forming.

Trixie shook her head. "Wonderful idea, Twilight, but in case you haven't noticed, last time I put on a magic show in Ponyville was what started this whole mess…"

"I'm not talking about a magic show," the purple unicorn replied.

This got several confused looks. "Uh, Twi', ain't that her special talent?" asked Applejack, raising an eyebrow.

"No, stage magic is her special talent," said Twilight. "And there's other things you can use it for, things she has used it for!"

Trixie blinked. "Trixie doesn't follow."

"Listen," said Twilight, seriously. "What part of your original act that earned your mark did the best?"

Trixie looked thoughtful, then gasped. "The story about the Timber Wolves!"

"And you were amazing when you told me about your grandmother's trick, and when you told me and the Crusaders about your Cutie Mark story!" Twilight replied.

"So you sayin' you think Trixie should tell a story to fix things?" asked Applejack, looking somewhat confused.

"Not just any story, be the narrator for a play!" said Twilight.

"That's a brilliant idea!" said Rarity. "You could charge admission and all the profits can go to the ponies who were hurt by the Ursa!"

Trixie looked cautious. "Well…Trixie is decent at telling stories…but Trixie was told those doing public service were forbidden to use magic while doing so…"

Applejack blinked, then looked sympathetic. "Sugercube, sorry to say, but Ah think somepony was pullin' your leg."

"What?"

"Trixie, I've practically memorized Ponyville's law book, and that law doesn't exist," Twilight replied, looking equally confused.

"Yeah, the only time unicorns can't use their magic in Ponyville is durin' Winter Wrap Up, and that's tradition more than anythin'. Looks like somepony with a grudge on yah fed yah some horseapples."

Trixie sighed. "Why is Trixie not surprised," she replied in a snaky tone. "Ok, that's settled, what about the story itself?"

"That's a good question…" said Twilight, thinking about it and looking at the wall of books. "It should be one you know well…"

"What about that old pony's tale about the ponies who stopped that evil centaur Tirak?" asked Rainbow Dash, looking excited. "My mom used to read that to me all the time while I was a kid!"

"Mine too!" Twilight replied, remembering it fondly.

"My Granny Pie taught me how to make oatmeal!" Pinkie exclaimed, getting strange looks. "Oh! And she also told me that story."

"Yeah…mah mom told meh to…" said Applejack, looking rather sad for some reason. The others all nodded in agreement. They'd all heard it.

"As did Trixie's grandmother," Trixie added. "It'd certainly be a fan favorite, and it has action, adventure, and an interesting story…but even if Trixie does the narrations and special effects, we still need actors."

Twilight smiled. "You've got six right here."

"Make that seven," Spike added, smiling.

"Eight!" Derpy added, reminding everypony she was there, Dinky and Pipsqueak.

Trixie smiled, tears in her eyes. "T-thank you…But what's stopping Trixie from being chased offstage before she can even begin?…Again?"

"Trixie, the only thing that can stop that is you, darling," Rarity replied, seriously. "A bully can only get to you if you let them." Fluttershy and Rainbow both nodded as well.

Trixie looked thoughtfully about it…then nodded. "Alright…let's do it…"

Rainbow Dash stepped forwards. "Alright, so we're all agreed…Twilight, can you, Fluttershy, and Rarity bring the Cutie Mark Crusaders to my house later tonight? Before the show? It's kind of important."

The three mares blinked, looking at one another. "Um…sure, I guess…"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Alright, Rainbow Dash, what seems to be the matter?" asked Rarity, she, Twilight, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle standing in Rainbow's living room thanks to Twilight's cloud walking spell, and Fluttershy flew Scootaloo in and they both joined in.

Rainbow Dash cautiously looked out her windows, making sure no one was there. She then motioned for the others to follow her and lead the way up to her roof. "Alright…" she said, looking around again. It was a cloudy night, but no one in sight. "Me and the girls think someone is trying to ruin Trixie on purpose."

"What?" asked Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy, all looking at each other in shock.

"Show 'em," said Rainbow Dash to the three fillies.

Applebloom handed the pictures to Twilight, who looked over it, then gave a gasp. "That beehive…There's no connection to another branch!"

Rainbow Dash nodded. "Exactly."

"But couldn't the picture have just caught it mid-fall?" asked Rarity, skeptical.

"Don't you think it's weird that everything Trixie tried today failed? And that she fell off a ladder for no reason at all? She's not that clumsy and the ladder wasn't going anywhere," Rainbow Dash pointed out. "It's probably one of the townsponies with a grudge on her."

"Alright, let's assume you're right," said Twilight, serious. The thought someone was intentionally hurting Trixie made her furious, but she was still rational. "What do you think is going to happen next?"

"I think they'll try to ruin Trixie's performance tonight," the loyal Pegasus said. "And we're going to stop them."

The three mares looked at each other, then to Rainbow Dash. "And how do you propose we do that?" asked Rarity.

"Alright, here's the plan…"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spot brought Checker a flyer as she waited outside the library to see where Trixie was going next, Helping Hoof holding an umbrella over her as it rained. Checker looked it over quickly. "'Charity Performance at Nine PM tonight. Presenting 'Rescue At Midnight Castle', a classic pony tale performed by local ponies. All proceeds go to those who were harmed by the Ursa Minor attack on Ponyville'," Checker read, then gave a cold chuckle. "So that's her plan. Ok boys, we've got a play to ruin."