• Published 5th Jan 2021
  • 803 Views, 65 Comments

Tales from a Double Date - EchoWing



Two members of the Royal Guard talk about their experiences with their dates.

  • ...
4
 65
 803

Chapter Four

The stadium at Wing Point was filled with spectators, family and friends and even a few younger students in attendance as the newest class of cadets stepped onto the field and took their positions for graduation.

Flash had some mixed feelings about this, having long gotten used to academy uniforms and routine but all too glad to put it behind him and get out into the field. And that ignored inevitably having to say goodbye to the ponies he’d gotten to know and the friends that he’d made. Yes, this was to be expected, and there was a fair chance he would see them again at some point, but still, parting was a sweet sorrow that he didn’t look forward to.

At last, the bell sounded, and the nearly thousand gathered cadets joined together to sing the school song. As that came to an end, the commandant stood before them. As commanded, the cadets raised their right forelimb and recited the Oath of Office. Flash doubted that he would ever forget his next words.

“I, Flash Sentry, having been appointed an officer in the Royal Guard of Equestria in the rank of Second Lieutenant, do solemnly affirm that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Unified Kingdom of Equestria against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will swear true faith and allegiance to the same. That I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter, Maker help me so.”

“Welcome to the profession of arms. Please lower your appendages.”

Applause sounded from the stands before the assembled graduates and the crowds joined in singing the Song of the Royal Guard, a brief tune as old as the Guard itself. This in turn was followed by a brief benediction, before the commandant stepped forth one more to address the graduate at their head.

“Second Lieutenant Cobalt, take charge of class, and dismiss graduating class.”

The lead graduate, a deep blue stallion, saluted. “So freedom and harmony will reign.” He then turned to the rest of the graduates and called out, “Class, dismissed!”

That elicited a cheer from the crowds and graduates as they tossed their covers, decorated caps that were an explicit part of their uniforms, high into the air above their heads. Many applauded and hugged their comrades in relief and celebration, glad that one obstacle was over and celebrating before another began.

-

“Wait, you’re just skipping to the end of it?” Quiver’s expression was shocked as he asked, “No wacky hijinks, no crazy escapades, just your first week and then bam, graduation?”

Sunrunner raised an eyebrow. “Did you have wacky hijinks during your time in higher education?”

The stallion shrugged. “No, but I’m antisocial.”

Flash laughed. “Believe it or not, most days in the Royal Guard aren’t all that exciting. And I figure you’d be interested in the really good stuff, and we didn’t get any of that until after we graduated.”

“Couple weeks leave, and then our first assignments.” The flame-haired pegasus laughed. “First assignment, rather.”

Twilight gained a giddy look and clapped her hooves together. “I think I might’ve heard a little bit about that.”

“Well please, no spoilers.” Quiver turned his attention back to the two soldiers and asked, “So, what did the two of you do during that leave?”

Flash smiled. “I visited with my family. Mom was getting settled into her new position in Ponyville as district attorney, so I figured that I’d help her out.”

-

“Honestly Flash, you didn’t need to come and do this. The three of us could’ve managed.”

“Yeah, but I don’t know how soon it will be before I get the chance to see the three of you.” Flash gently laid some boxes out on a table for his mother with his wings, glad that they could at least be used for moving objects around if not for helping him fly. “And I’ll feel better going on my first assignment knowing all of you are settled in.”

Legalhawke looked as though she wanted to argue, but a soft chuckle distracted her as a stallion entered with a box carried in one hoof and a colt close by. “I don’t think this is an argument you can win, Hawk. You raised him too well for that.”

Flash grinned. “She didn’t do it alone, Dad.” He then turned to his sibling. “Hey Basey. Gotten sick of me yet?”

“Nope!” Pop Fly then charged his older brother and took him into a tight hug. “Never gonna happen!”

The two brothers laughed and briefly play-wrestled as their parents looked on, but the moment was brief before their father cleared his throat. “Flash, I’d like a word with you. Privately.” At his youngest’s alarmed expression, he smiled reassuringly. “Don’t worry Pop, he’s not in trouble.”

Legalhawke opted to follow her husband’s lead and gestured to her youngest. “Come on, let’s get out of the way. Still plenty to do.”

Pop Fly followed his mother’s prompt, and the pair left to continue unpacking as Flash turned to face his father. A larger stallion with a bulkier build than he, Curt Marshall cut a very imposing figure, with his deep voice doing little to shatter that image. Those who knew him long enough to speak with him, however, quickly discovered that he was perhaps the warmest stallion you could ever meet. That warm was obvious as Marshall approached his stepson with the proudest smile on his face that anypony could imagine. “Look at you, son. Look how far you’ve come.”

Flash smiled back. “It’s all thanks to you, Dad.”

His stepfather laughed. “I’m not going to take all the credit. You put in the hard work all on your own.” His tone turned somber as he got to the point. “But I am worried, Flash. Not about what you can do in the Guard, but why you joined it.”

“I told you Dad. I can make a difference there.”

“And I believe you. I’m just worried that you have other reasons for it.” He looked his child in the eye and said firmly, “You aren’t him, Flash. You’re you. And you don’t need to prove that to anypony by putting on armor, least of all yourself.” The smile returned as he added, “And you certainly never had anything to prove to me. You showed me the kind of stallion you were when I first met you.” He gently rested a hoof on his son’s shoulder. “A brave one, and a kind one. Hold on to that, and you’ll go further than I ever did, or ever will.” He laughed. “Now come on, we’ve still got a job to do.”

Flash nodded and smiled. “Yes sir.”

-

Quiver gave an impressed smile. “Your dad’s awesome.”

“He is. Still active in the Guard, too, just stationed out on the western frontier. We don’t get to see him much, but those times where we’re all together…” Flash grinned. “I wouldn’t miss them for the world.”

The other stallion’s smile turned sad as he looked to Sunrunner. “And I guess then was when…?”

The mare frowned. “Yeah.” She turned to Flash and admitted, “I have a sinking feeling that if you and Twilight continue being a thing, you’ll get on a lot better with her parents than I have with Quiver’s father.”

The blue-haired pegasus grimaced. “Went that bad, huh?”

“Worse.”

-

Sunrunner had never been to Quiver Quill’s home during all the time they’d been in school together. Circumstances had never led to them visiting one another’s houses, even for a simple playdate. How much of that was simply nopony wanting to leave a colt and filly alone by themselves for very long was something she’d probably never know, but she honestly hoped that was it.

Nonetheless, school directories were a thing, and she did have his address, thanks partly to the fact that her parents rarely if ever threw anything that wasn’t obviously trash out. And now seemed as good a time as any for her to try and reconnect with her old friend. There was a chance that he’d moved, of course, but what information she had suggested that he was still there.

A tiny part of her, however, made her hope that he wasn’t. The house before her was old, and while it was still standing, it was clear that for whatever reason, the residents weren’t keeping on top of regular day-to-day maintenance. The front steps had cracks in them, with bits broken off at points, and the house itself looked as though it needed a new coat of paint, among other bits of repair.

Still, there was only one way to find out. She trotted up the steps and gently rang the doorbell, then stepped back from the door to give whoever answered a respectful amount of space. Shortly thereafter, it was answered by a middle-aged stallion with a dark-colored beard and a foul expression on his face, who glared at her through a screen door.

“Good afternoon, sir. My name is Sunrunner, and I…”

“We aren’t interested.”

He then slammed the door, which prompted Sunrunner to try ringing the bell again. He opened the door, and she quickly explained, “Sir, I’m not trying to sell you anything or whatever, I just…”

“I don’t care why you’re here. We aren’t interested.”

He slammed the door for a second time, and Sunrunner steeled herself and tried once more. He barely opened the door before she continued, “Does a stallion named…?”

“Listen to me, you rutting little bitch! If you don’t get off my doorstep right now, I’ll force you off it! Now get lost!”

The door slammed on her a third time, and Sunrunner sighed and turned away. As much as she hated to think it, trying to reconnect with Quiver this way might well be a lost cause.

-

Flash and Twilight both looked at her in shock. “He didn’t…”

“He would.” Quiver noted grimly. “Probably thought he was saving me from getting scammed, too.”

The alicorn drooped as she considered things. “But language like that? I mean, you told us about what happened when you earned your cutie mark, but just going off like that? How could a pony be that angry?”

“Be thankful that you don’t know the answer to that question, Twilight.” Flash shot Quiver a sympathetic look. “I’m not going to pretend that Quiver and I went through the same ordeal, but different sorts of abuse can still leave similar scars. How you deal with them is the important thing, though.”

Quiver managed a small smile. “Ain’t that the truth.” A thought suddenly occurred to him, and he looked between the two Guardsponies and said, “Wait a minute. A while ago, Flash told me and Twilight that you told Pixie Dust about what had happened to him. Now you’re saying that she overheard you two talking about it.”

“And she told me when we first met that the two of you fought when you first met.” Twilight was similarly surprised.

Sunrunner sighed. “I’m not going to say there wasn’t a little tension between me and Flash, but Boo tended to exaggerate.”

Flash, meanwhile, took on a nervous grin. “And can you blame me for being a little embarrassed about getting eaves-dropped on?”

“Still…” Twilight wasn’t happy about her coltfriend’s little white lie, but tried her best to be diplomatic about it. “I’d appreciate a little more honesty from here on, alright? Like I said, no secrets.”

Flash nodded, shamefaced, and opted to get back to the story. “Anyway, our leave ended, and we reported to Canterlot for our first assignment fresh out of the academy. It wasn’t what either of us was expecting.” He paused for a second, then turned to his marefriend. “Twilight, you wouldn’t happen to know any spells that can obscure conversations? White noise charms, cones of silence, things like that? What Warbler and I are about to talk about isn’t really something the public should know about. I trust Quiver to keep it to himself, but…”

“Don’t worry Flash, I’ve already taken care of it.” At Quiver’s curious expression, she explained, “Even putting aside Princess Celestia’s assurances that the staff at this restaurant are very discreet, I put an enchantment around us to obscure what we’re saying. They can only understand us if we directly speak to them.”

Quiver frowned, not entirely certain he liked that notion, but accepted it. “That explains the extra pitcher of ice water at least.” He then turned to Flash. “Anyway, I’m honored. Please, go on.”

-

While Wing Point was located closer to Equestria’s east coast, the primary headquarters for the Royal Guard was located close to Canterlot. Officially, however, it remained outside of the city limits, mostly due to regional laws and ordinances. Practically a small town unto itself, the campus was where as many as ten thousand ponies lived and/or worked, with most of that number commuting into Canterlot for their duties in the city proper. Sunrunner had some misgivings about the arrangement, but given she was at this point amongst the most junior of junior officers, she was in no position to voice those misgivings.

Besides, private conversations with her teachers at Wing Point had made clear that the decisions were made more for political reasons than for practical ones. It had never been the position of Equestria’s government to present the nation as militaristic, even if it had a military. The land was, after all, one founded on the principles of harmony, and harmony was not something one associated with conflict.

Sunrunner had more than her share of misgivings about such an arrangement, but kept those to herself as well, at least in public. Right now, she just hoped that her first proper assignment wasn’t something that would force her into the proverbial deep end.

“Well ain’t this a surprise!” Sunrunner turned to see a pair of familiar faces approaching her down the hall, one stallion with a blue mane and one thestral mare with an indigo mane. “What’re the odds, Warbler?”

She laughed. “Apparently, pretty good.” Quick hoof-bumps were shared, and the pegasus asked, “How’d your leaves go?”

Pixie Dust shrugged. “Not bad. Hung out back home, enjoyed a little bit of freedom before the really hard work starts.”

“Spent time with my family, mostly.” A brief, sad smile crossed Flash’s face before it disappeared. “How about you?”

“Pretty much the same. Tried looking up that friend I told the two of you about.” She managed a sad shrug. “Didn’t have much luck.”

Pixie draped a reassuring wing over her friend’s shoulder. “You’ll see him again someday. I got a good feeling about this.”

The three were interrupted by the sound of a throat clearing behind them, and immediately moved to attention before they recognized their addressor. “I don’t think now’s the time for idle gossip.”

Sunrunner kept an even face as she countered, “Catching up doesn’t really count as idle gossip.”

The burly stallion didn’t seem impressed. “Regardless, we’re here to report for our first duty assignment. It’s not going to do us any good to be seen standing around chatting.” He gestured for the other three to follow him onto the campus towards the main building. They did so, not at all surprised by his curt behavior.

Silver Bullet was not the sort for socializing. He tended to be the solitary sort at the academy, working as hard as any of them and getting good marks across the board, but rarely interacting with his peers. If something needed to be done, he was going to do it, but he wasn’t interested in chatting anyone up along the way. Not once had they seen him so much as crack a smile, let alone laugh. His serious nature had thus led to what was perhaps the most ironic of nicknames amongst his peers – ‘Chuckles’.

Still, none of them were inclined to argue as they made their way to the central administration building, then inside, a senior NCO meeting them and leading them to one office in particular. The NCO knocked on the door, and a gruff voice called forth from inside, “Let them in.”

The door opened, and the four ponies entered. The office was spartan, the walls bare of decoration beyond the odd artifact showcasing pony lore and the only furniture being a desk and chair. Sunrunner doubted that she was the only one to recognize the replica of Netitus on one wall. Standing before them was the office’s current occupant, a middle-aged dark-colored stallion with a short-cropped mane and tail and a pencil-thin moustache, his icy blue eyes locked on the four of them.

“Colonel Stormfront.” The four ponies stood at attention as Silver Bullet introduced them. “Second Lieutenants Silver Bullet, Sunrunner, Pixie Dust and Flash Sentry, reporting as ordered.”

“As you were.” The colonel examined the four before his gaze settled on the largest among them. “Fresh recruits right out of the academy. Stuck with me for your first assignment. I look forward to seeing what you’re made of.” He turned away from them to a map on the wall. “Tell me, have any of you heard of a nation called Farasi?”

“It’s a nation state on the northern part of Zebrica, bordered by the Celestial Sea on the west and the Dragon Lands on the south.”

The colonel turned back to face them at her answer, and Sunrunner thought for a second that she saw a scowl upon the stallion’s face. “Correct, Lieutenant. And two days after the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration, Canterlot shall be hosting a delegation from that nation to discuss diplomatic ties and the start of trade relations between our two nations.” He turned back to face them and explained, “We have been assigned the task of escorting the delegation upon their arrival at Horseshoe Bay to Canterlot. This is, for all intents and purposes, a milk run.”

“Permission to speak frankly, sir?” At the colonel’s nod, Silver Bullet continued, “We seem to be operating on a tight timetable, sir. The Summer Sun Celebration is three days away. That doesn’t give us a lot of time to reach Horseshoe Bay.”

“Indeed it doesn’t. However, the brass has made arrangements with that in mind.” He regarded them with a grim expression and said, “Retrieve your go-bags and meet me at the Canterlot Skyport in two hours’ time. Our ride will be along then.”

-

“Wow. Silver Bullet never really came across as the most open of ponies, but…” Twilight shrugged. “I guess he loosened up with time.”

“That’s putting it politely.” The blue-maned pegasus turned to his fellow stallion and noticed the thoughtful expression on his face. “Something bothering you, Quiver?”

“Bit overkill, isn’t it?” Quiver prodded at his meal as he wondered aloud. “I can get a military escort for a diplomatic party, that makes perfect sense, but four lieutenants fresh from the academy? Commanded by a colonel?”

“The Guard’s stretched thin and you know it, Quiver.” Flash frowned as he admitted, “I don’t like that very much myself, but there isn’t a lot to be done about it.”

The stallion nodded. “I suppose. But why go to the skyport instead of…” His eyes lit up as he realized, “You went by airship.”

-

The Skyport was one of the more recent additions to the Canterlot landscape, thanks primarily to the recent surge in popularity of personal airships amongst the city’s elite. Exactly who started the trend was unclear, though the most popular theory was that Prince Blueblood had taken a fancy to the idea of them in order to expedite his travels across Equestria and beyond. While they were vast, they were mostly noiseless, and as many could attest from the young noble’s assorted soirees, were far more luxurious than they appeared. Their cargo carrying capacity alone made them popular with the Royal Guard, and contracts were made for expanded versions intended for troop and materiel transport. More than a few in Equestria’s government protested the project as a waste… until they saw the job numbers projected for their respective districts.

Princess Celestia personally backing the project certainly didn’t discourage things.

At the appointed time, the four Guardsponies found themselves at their appointed place, packed and ready for deployment as they were escorted to their docking platform. As they approached, three of the four caught sight of their approaching ride, and found themselves unable to restrain their awe.

The craft resembled a shark at a distance, a resemblance that was maintained as it rapidly approached. As it got closer, however, the ponies got a far better look at it – the ‘mouth’ was an air intake, the ‘gills’ vents, and while the vessel still had fins, they were segmented, allowing for steering and shifting during transit. As it closed in, they could also make out gunports along its sides and on the front of the craft, and found themselves with mixed feelings in regards to their use.

“Get a good look, all of you. That’s a Requiem-class airship, one of the first of a new breed.” Colonel Stormfront’s voice clearly showed his approval with the craft as it approached for docking. “I present, the Valiant.”

The vessel came in for a smooth docking before them, and clamps were deployed to hold the vessel in place as a gangplank extended from its gondola and doors opened to allow them entry. The five walked along the gangplank and stepped onto the vessel to be greeted by its senior staff with a salute. At their head was an earthy-colored pegasus stallion with a short, well-trimmed mustache, more prominent than that of Stormfront’s and giving a different air to the junior officers. “Permission granted to board the Valiant, Colonel Stormfront.”

“Colonel Stalwart Steel.” The greeting was terse as the one pegasus appraised the other. “You have a fine vessel here, and a plum assignment.”

“I’m merely following the orders given to me.” He turned to his subordinate, an earth pony with impressive stature and a warm bearing. “Sergeant Grace Point will escort you to guest quarters and point you towards our recreation areas. I ask that your subordinates kindly keep to one of those two places, however, as my staff and I still have an airship to run.” The four nodded in acceptance of his request. “Very well then. Sergeant!”

“Yes sir!” The NCO stepped forward and prompted, “If you’d kindly follow me.”

-

Quiver laughed. “You got to ride in style.”

“Oh, that’s putting it lightly.” Sunrunner smiled. “The Valiant’s a good ship, with a good crew and a good CO. I wouldn’t complain if I saw them again.”

“No kidding. Col. Steel…” Flash sighed. “You know how certain ponies give an air of authority, but you can tell right off that they’re the sort you can trust?” He was met with nods, and he explained, “Col. Steel gave me that feeling. Plum assignment and a crew with good morale. Stormfront was another matter.”

His fellow Guardspony frowned. “His cutie mark having a skull in it certainly didn’t help.”

Both Quiver and Twilight grimaced at that, and the latter politely changed the subject. “So, things went well on the Valiant?”

“Yeah. She was on her shakedown cruise, so we had a long trip out to our destination. Plenty enough time to get to know the crew.”

-

The recreation areas onboard the Valiant were, by Sunrunner’s estimation, generous. While this likely wasn’t at the level of a really fancy hotel in Manehattan, Canterlot or somewhere of that nature, the recreation areas on board were definitely on the same level as the ones she’d seen in Indianapoloosa. Granted, she hadn’t seen many, but still, what little she had seen met with her approval.

As she and two of her fellow officers entered the main mess, they took in the sights around them. The mess was decorated in Cloudsdale Retro, with lightweight furniture that looked both elegant and sturdy, complimented by the cutlery and dinnerware. The walls were plain and bare, but she briefly entertained the idea of maps or murals being painted once the vessel had accumulated some flight time, and a piano was being played by a crewmember off in one corner. Both the elite and the common ponies could be comfortable in a place like this, and given the fact that officers as well as NCOs were intermingling, that appeared to be exactly the case.

“Lieutenants!” She heard a familiar voice calling to her, and she caught sight of the sergeant from earlier as he beckoned the three of them to a table, one other NCO and two officers with him. “Care to join us? Plenty of room!”

Sunrunner noticed the approving expressions on her colleagues’ faces and smiled. “Invitation accepted, Sergeant. Thanks.” The trio approached the table. “Whom do I have the honor of addressing?”

“Very curious members of the senior staff, Lieutenant.” One of the officers, a dark-haired earth pony stallion with coltish good looks, flashed her a smile. “Captain Pure Green, ship’s chief navigator.” He gestured to his fellow officer, a curly-haired unicorn stallion with a solid build. “Lieutenant Vintage Balm, CMO.” Finally, he gestured to the other NCO, an earth pony mare with a professional-looking manecut. “Corporal Bell Carol, communications.”

“Lieutenants Sunrunner, Flash Sentry and Pixie Dust.” The trio claimed empty seats for themselves as Sunrunner admitted, “I’m a little surprised at the intermingling between officers and NCOs here.”

“Unfortunately old girl, that’s a consequence of how the recreation deck and quarters have been laid out.” The medical officer gave a small smile as he admitted, “Still, we are off duty, and some relaxation is allowed.”

“And the four of us were part of the colonel’s staff at our previous posting, so we’re at least somewhat familiar with one another.” The corporal turned to the doctor with an incredulous look. “And with all due respect sir, ‘old girl’?”

Vintage Balm had the decency to blush as he turned to the flame-haired mare. “Apologies, Lieutenant. Old habits.”

“I’ve seen worse.” Outdated and slightly patronizing terms of endearment were something she could deal with, especially if they were clearly meant to be polite. “So is everyone onboard from the Griffish Isles, or just the five of you?”

“There are a few ponies onboard from the mainland, don’t worry.” Grace Post turned to Pixie Dust curiously. “Forgive my asking, ma’am, but ‘Pixie Dust’?”

The thestral shrugged. “Mom and Dad were expecting a unicorn. Something tells me they were okay with what they got, though.” She glanced to the bar, fully aware of the drinks resting before their hosts, and asked, “So what do we have as far as drinks go around here?”

The sergeant tipped his head towards the nearby taps. “Nothing stronger than apple cider or ginger beer while we’re aloft, as per regs.”

“Makes sense to me.” Flash got back up and asked, “Anything for either of you?”

“Ciders for the both of us.” Sunrunner turned back to their hosts as Flash went on his way. “Well forgive me being frank, but I think you all ended up with a good assignment here. I’m a little envious.”

“Well I’d be patient if I were you, given the Valiant isn’t the first or last of her class.” The doctor gave the younger officer a teasing smile and offered, “Besides, rumor has it that you all have a rather plum assignment yourselves.”

The young mare straightened up and declared, “I will neither confirm nor deny any allegations regarding our assignment.”

“Say no more about it then.” As Flash returned, Vintage Balm prodded in other directions. “I’m a little surprised that we haven’t seen the rest of your party yet, however. I imagine the colonels are in conference at the moment, but what about your fellow lieutenant?”

“Something tells me that Silver Bullet’s in his cabin getting some rest.” Flash experimentally sniffed his cider, then took a sip.

Pixie Dust grinned. “Yeah, Chuckles ain’t exactly much for socializing.” At their curious expressions, she explained, “Academy nickname. Guy didn’t do much laughing.”

The captain among them shook his head in disapproval. “Shame. Hopefully he learns to lighten up a bit. Won’t last long if he doesn’t.” He took a sip of his own drink and prodded, “I don’t suppose the rest of you have ironic nicknames from your academy days?”

“Actually, the rest of us just got silly ones.” Sunrunner smirked at her old roomie and noted, “Ain’t that right, Boo?”

“Darn tootin’, Warbler.”

The two mares laughed among themselves before Flash explained, “Pixie Dust liked to surprise people, and Sunrunner sings. A lot.”

That got the attention of the stallions at the table. As Bell Carol rolled her eyes and sighed, Pure Green prodded, “Are you any good at it?”

The flame-haired mare shrugged. “Better than average.”

The captain then grinned. “Well, any way we could convince you to demonstrate? Would be good for Old Fife to have somepony to play accompaniment for.”

Sunrunner sighed. “Well, I guess I’m going to have to embarrass us sometime on this trip.”

That got an approving laugh from their hosts, and the captain went off to make arrangements. Flash leaned over and noted, “Caved a little quick, didn’t you?”

“Better to get it over with, right?” She was finally called towards the piano by Pure Green, the crewmember at the piano at the ready. In the face of an eager crowd, Sunrunner took a deep breath, and sang the first few words to a song from her youth that she figured had a good chance of resonating with the crowd.

“Do you ever miss the mare you left behind?”

-

Quiver grinned. “Tell me you brought the house down.”

Sunrunner grinned. “Something like that.”

-

Much to Sunrunner’s surprise, Old Fife appeared to have cottoned onto the music almost immediately, and she quickly launched into the song proper, even letting the music take over and dancing on her hooves in time to the music. She herself, and even quite a few in the audience, could swear they heard violins playing as she sang, even as the stallions in the audience joined in. The mares refrained, if only because they were either laughing or trying to restrain themselves at their colleagues’ antics.

“You’ll find the mare,

You’ll find the mare,

You left behind…

Tonight! Tonight! Tonight, that’s right, alright!”

Cheers and roaring approval went out across the mess as Sunrunner took a bow, exhausted but pleased with herself. Before she could rejoin her friends, however, a bang sounded across the deck.

“And what is this supposed to be?!” The mess went dead silent as the three young officers turned to find Colonel Stormfront at the entrance, his gaze firmly locked upon his subordinates. “Lieutenants! Explain yourselves!”

“Colonel, with due respect, we asked…”

“Your statement on the matter wasn’t requested, Captain!” Pure Green stumbled back at that as the colonel turned his attention back to his subordinates. “I expect an answer!”

Sunrunner stepped forth and stood straight. “I was asked to entertain our hosts, sir.”

“And in the process, made a mockery of yourself!” The colonel’s expression was furious as he barked, “Do you consider yourself a mockery, Lieutenant?!”

“No sir.”

“Well I’d think otherwise!”

“As would I.” Stormfront turned to find Col. Stalwart Steel standing behind him, his mood decidedly more calm. “A rousing performance, Lieutenant. Thank you for humoring my staff.” He turned to his fellow colonel and noted, “Your subordinates were off-duty, as were mine. This wasn’t a brawl, it was light entertainment, that your subordinate chose to indulge my subordinates with. I hardly think that’s worth a dressing down.” His tone shifted subtly as he added, “And were it worth such a thing, I would be the one delivering it.”

Stormfront frowned, but relented. “Very well. I will have to take comfort in one of my subordinates conducting themselves properly.” He turned and departed, but his attitude made clear that he wouldn’t forget what had happened.

The remaining colonel turned and regarded his guests. “I appreciate the entertainment for my crew, Lieutenant, but I think it best that you and your fellows retire to your cabins for the rest of the journey.”

“Yes sir.”

He raised an eyebrow. “No apology?”

“I don’t think it’s necessary, sir. As you said, light entertainment isn’t worth being punished over.”

She thought she saw the barest hint of a smile as he remarked, “Indeed.” He then turned and departed himself.

Just as he got out of earshot, Sunrunner relaxed and turned to her fellows. “I think we’d better do as the colonel suggested.”

Flash and Pixie Dust followed her out, the latter with a sad look on her face. “So much for an encore.”

-

Quiver frowned. “The more I hear about Stormfront, the more I don’t like him. Don’t think it was his place to intervene.”

“And I’m glad that Stalwart Steel did intervene.” Sunrunner sighed. “You’re right though, we weren’t in the wrong. We were off-duty, and nothing I did was against the regs.”

Flash frowned himself. “But that doesn’t mean ponies are going to approve of it.”

-

“I think the colonel was right to step in.” Silver Bullet had remained in his cabin, likely content to get some rest while he could on the flight over. “Sunrunner was making a fool out of herself.”

“Maybe so, but it was her choice.” Flash wasn’t thrilled at having ended up with the olive stallion as a cabin-mate, but accepted the circumstances for what they were. “And I’m not even sure it was his place to step in. Colonel Stormfront might be in charge of us, but Colonel Stalwart Steel is in charge of the Valiant.”

“Regardless, we aren’t here to make ourselves look like jokes. We make a mistake, and it could end our careers.” The larger of the two stallions shifted in his bunk and noted, “If I were the three of you, I’d keep my head down and follow the colonel’s orders for the remainder of this mission.”

Flash scowled, but opted to keep his thoughts to himself as he settled into his bunk. With any luck, the remainder of the mission would go smoothly.

-

Flash frowned as he recalled the memory. “It’s not going to surprise either of you that it didn’t. The rest of the trip went without incident, and we got to Horseshoe Bay with plenty of time, but after that…”

-

Located on Equestria’s southeast coast, Horseshoe Bay was equal parts a pleasure destination for ponies across the nation and a shipping port, with vessels going from there to points all across the coast of the Celestial Sea and back again. It was no surprise that it ended up being the destination for the Farasian diplomatic party as a result, especially as they didn’t appear to have any airships.

Sunrunner kept silent as she disembarked from the Valiant, she and the rest of her party now wearing their armor rather than their duty uniforms. Their point of arrival, fortunately, was very close to the docks, and by all appearances, they showed little sign of a long wait for their charges.

“Colonel, there you are!” Awaiting them at the docks was a small entourage of ponies. At their head was a sight familiar anypony who paid attention to the gossip columns, immaculately dressed and looking ready to please. “I was beginning to worry!”

“Prince Blueblood.” The Guardsponies stood at attention as the noblepony approached. “Reporting as ordered for escort duty.”

“And presenting yourselves as proper members of the Guard as well.” A horn sounded in the distance, and the gathered ponies turned their attention as a vessel approached the docks. It wasn’t a fancy design, but it was a perfectly seaworthy vessel. “Personally, I just hope they don’t see the five of you as a show of force.”

The colonel gave a confident smirk. “All the same, it’s important that they know what they’re dealing with.”

The ship docked, and gangplanks were deployed as the passengers disembarked. Sunrunner had never seen a zebra in the flesh, only illustrations in books, but those she saw before her were little different. They were built like ponies, most little different from her in physical build other than slighter figures, and had predominantly light coats with stripes of assorted colors streaking across their forms, their manes styled to point straight up and similarly colored to their coats. Two of the group wore what Sunrunner assumed were uniforms, deep red and brown cloth complimented by silvery armor about their shoulders and lower legs. A third was more plainly attired, naught but a silver necklace and a sash around his neck. At the forefront, however, was a mare whose build reminded Sunrunner of Princess Celestia, tall and slender with a casual elegance. Her eyes were a deep emerald, her stripes a vibrant shade of red and she was adorned in necklace, crown and a brightly-colored dress that covered her torso and rear legs. She flashed a pleasant smile in greeting. “Prince Blueblood, I presume?”

“Indeed.” The prince bowed in greeting. “And I have the honor of addressing Princess Horaia.”

The mare nodded. “Indeed. We thank you for welcoming us into your land, and look forward to meeting your aunt in due time.”

“As does she. Are you ready for the next leg of your journey, or do you wish to rest…?”

The dignitary shook her head. “While the offer is appreciated, we rested long enough on the voyage here, and I am eager to meet Princess Celestia.”

“Then let us make haste to the train station. We’ve a long distance to…”

“Sir!” Colonel Stormfront surged forward and tackled the prince and princess to the ground, seconds before an explosion burst not one inch from where Blueblood had stood, everypony else staggering back in shock from the flash.

Her own eyes filled with spots as she rapidly blinked to get rid of the flash, Sunrunner nonetheless sprang into action. “Flash, Silver, get eyes on that sniper! Pix!”

“I’m fine! Had my visor down!”

“Good, with me!” The pair rushed to their commanding officer and the prince as the former helped the latter back to his feet, their counterparts doing likewise for Horaia. “Sir, any injuries?”

“None, mercifully.” Stormfront returned to his feet. “Your Highness, I suggest we hurry to the train station, before whoever that was makes another attempt.”

Prince Blueblood was hardly in a position to disagree.

Author's Note:

Yes, we have a bunch of Doctor Who expies here. Deal with it.

The Valiant is directly inspired by both real-world airships such as the Hindenberg, and more directly by design sketches done by Baron-Engel/Dave Bryant on behalf of chakat-goldfur, with the design used with permission.

Sunrunner's song is adapted from "The Girl You Left Behind" from An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. Lyrics by Will Jennings, score by James Horner, performed by Cathy Cavadini.