• Published 30th Jan 2021
  • 6,576 Views, 4,163 Comments

Twilight Gets a Puppy, Season 5 - TDR



The continuation of Puppy-verse encompassing season 5 of MLP

  • ...
35
 4,163
 6,576

PreviousChapters Next
Hearths Warming Interlude 2

Twilight Gets a Puppy
Season 5
By TDR

Hearths Warming Interlude 2

[Canterlot]

“Nice of you tah invite me tah this little shindig.” Granny smirked settling back in the soft couch with a mug of warm cider.

“Given my children are interested in yours I figure we were going to meet like this sooner or later.” Twilight Velvet smirked.

“I'm a little uncomfortable being this close to sun butt to be honest.” Chrysalis murred softly, disguised as a gray mare with a dark mane and tail that seemed perfectly designed to blend in. Cadence was still in the empire as some issue or another had come up. Chrysalis was quite happy to be an off hoof style of ruler, though she was surprised at the invite.

“Don't worry about it.” Night Light offered as he walked past with a small smirk on his face the couch. “Princess Celestia won't do anything to you.”

“If she knows what's good for her.” Twilight Velvet chuckled.

Granny and Chrysalis looked at the evil grin on the mare and simply shrugged. They had both met her daughter and Twilight had to have gotten it from somewhere.

“Right well it was still nice to invite us over for dinner. Yer not a bad cook.” Granny offered.

“Nope that was all me.” Nightlight offered. ”My wife is much like my daughter, she can some how set fire to the water she's trying to boil.”

“I hear the couch calling your name tonight dear.” Twilight Velvet frowned.

“Guess that means you don't want the leftovers and I can send them all back with Chrysalis.” Night Light offered getting a small growl from his wife and a laugh from the others present.

“Well yes.... my skills aside, I can say that her cooking ability is not my fault. When the recipe calls for the oven to be set to 350 for an hour, it doesn't mean setting it up to 700 will drop the time to a half hour. It does mean over clocking the stove will make a house fire, but still.”

“Ha, bet yah got a lot of stories like that from those four of yours.” Granny chuckled.

“I do, and the main advice I am giving you Chryssy is take LOTS of pictures.” Twilight Velvet lifted a large book up and dropped it on the coffee table with a thud. “And make lots and lots of copies.”

“Is that the Hearths Warming Book?” Nightlight asked leaning over the back of the couch.” Didn't Twilight turn that one to ash last year?”

Twilight Velvet smirked flipping open the book of pictures.

[ Sparkle Household, first Hearths Warming after Spike hatched.]

“Mom! Where are the lights for the tree?” Shining Armor asked.

“They should be in the green box. Make sure you check the mana charge on them before you put them up. It's a pain to try and recharge them when it's on the tree.” Twilight Velvet called back as

“ Got it!” Shining Armor yelled rolling his eyes knowing how to do that much.

“Don't roll your eyes a me.” Twilight Velvet called from the other room.

A response was thankfully cut off for the teen colt as the front door was kicked open and a large Hearth's Warming tree floated in leaving a path of bristled pine needles across the carpet as Night Light guided it into the living room.

“Look out … Shining, get the stand!” Night Light called from the depths of the massive tree.

“Got a big one this year I see.” Twilight Velvet sighed as she came into the room. ”Is it even going to fit?”

“Of course. I measured it myself.” Night Light Smirked setting the tree in the stand and putting it upright. Plaster from the ceiling showering on top of the unicorn as the top of the tree drug across it.

Nightlight blinked a little clearing his eyes of the plaster dust as his wife sighed and his son smirked.

“I'll get the broom.” Twilight Velvet shook her head heading back into the dining room, pausing to make sure Spike was eating his gem past instead of smearing it over his face again.

Nightlight sighed using his magic to trim the top of the tree another foot or so before casting mend on the plaster and repairing the rent..

“Alright lets put some lights on this thing.” Night Light smiled as Shining Armor offered over the lights.

Night Light went to work wrapping the tree with the lights working on making them even on the tree before stepping back to look it over.

Twilight Velvet came back in as Night Light dimmed the lights carrying Spike.

The little dragon made a noise as the lights went out then let out a soft squeal as his eyes focused on the tree.

“Do you think we should go for electric lights maybe this year?” Shining offered. ”Princess Celestia said Rahs eats magic and we have had a number of mana batteries drain around him.”

“Nah, those are expensive. It'll be fine, we just keep him back from the tree. These lights have lasted years with only a few charges. Even if he drains the magic it's no trouble to recharge them.” Nightlight shrugged. “Once Twi and Rahs get home from their lessons with the Princess we can start decorating it.”

As if on cue the front door opened and a large book floated in followed by a small purple unicorn with heavy saddle bags behind it.

Next to her was a small blue ball of puppy cat looking fluff who occasionally nudged the filly to not run into anything.

Rahs stopped suddenly looking into the living room, his amber eyes widening at the glittering tree inside the house.

Twilight bumped into him and paused looking over her book to the living room before lowering the book fully as she smiled.

“Alright you got the tree!” Twilight cheered marking the page she was on and tucking it away in her already over burdened saddle bag.” It's a big one too.”

“Yep. It's the first Hearths Warming for Rahs and Spike, I figured this would be a good event. We might even be able to put up all the ornaments on it this time instead of having a box left over like last year.” Night Light smiled.” What do you think Rahs?”

there was no response, not even a bark.

Night Light glanced over to the puppy blinking as he saw the moon dog practically vibrating in place by the door as he stared at the tree and the blinking lights. His amber eyes were wide open and the blinking lights were reflecting in them as he shuddered.

“Oh no.” Night Light offered.
“Oh no.” Twilight Velvet added.
Oh No.” Shining Armor agreed.

“Oh yeah....” Twilight began as Rahs tensed. “Rahs kinda had the same reaction to Princess Celestia's tree.

Then Rahs surged forward.

Twilight Velvet held up the image with a smirk, the picture showing Rahs clinging to the top of the massive tree, half wrapped in the strand of lights that were already starting to go out.

Nightlight, Shining and Twilight were trying their best to get him down while Spike laughed himself into hiccoughs, clearly it was Twilight Velvet who took the picture.

“He still does that sorta nonsense in tha apple trees.” Granny huffed. ”An every now an again ah catch AJ up in one too.”

“You have to have more, this is hilarious.” Chrysalis chuckled as Twilight Velvet turned the page.

[ Canterlot Shopping Mall]

'Santa Hooves' eyed the next mare in the long line of foals and parents waiting for a chance to sit in his lap and tell them what they wanted for Hearths Warming. The brown unicorn pony wasn't too thrilled with this job. He needed to change his pants twice already when a little foal couldn't control their bladder in the excitement.

Still the pay was okay and he enjoyed passing off screaming brats to one of the 'helpers' nearby to send them down the slide and away from him. One had to enjoy the small things in life. As well as the occasional tip from a parent who wanted to know what their child wanted and would only tell 'santa'.

Still he had seen all manner of foals in the years he had started doing this, including a few Nox-cal foals, though he was wary of the nocturne, their foals were almost as big as a normal pony.

He had had diamond dog pups and even griffon chicks on his lap before.

But this was the first time he had ever seen a baby dragon.

He tensed a little as the mare brought the purple and green dragon over. The little thing was dressed in a puffy blue winter coat and was looking up at him in awe.

It was rather adorable in a way.

The mare sat the little dragon on his lap, and stepped back to the edge of the platform ready to go down the stairs to retrieve him after he was put on the slide. 'Santa' looked down at the dragon curiously.

“And what's your name little, uh... one.” 'Santa' asked.

“Mm'Spike.” the baby dragon mumbled.

“Well Spike... What do you want for Hearths Warming?” 'Santa' asked.

“Hippopotamus.” Spike responded as the mare with him rolled her eyes.

'Santa' chuckled. “Might be hard to fit down your chimney, but I will see what I can do. Now smile for the camera there.” 'Santa pointed at the mare who had brought him.

What he didn't notice was that his fake beard was tickling the baby dragon's nose as he shifted to look at the camera. Nor did he think anything as he heard the almost cute sounds of the baby getting ready to sneeze.

“Well, on the plus side the beard was fire resistant and no one was really hurt, though Spike was banned from visiting the mall Santa because of that.” Twilight Velvet chuckled. The picture she was putting away showing Spike in a winter coat sitting on Santa's chair at the local mall wiping his nose with a sleeve, with a pony dressed as Santa screaming as he ran away from Spike with his beard on fire. ”Twilight was banned after she accused him of being fake and nearly started a riot with the foals in line. Oddly Rahs was never banned and sat on his lap every year until he was thirteen, when they met the real Santa Hooves.”

“Please tell me you have something on Shining like this.” Chrysalis was nearly vibrating with excitement.

“Not for Hearths Warming sadly, I didn't get the camera until Twilight was three. Though when he was seven he got a junior red rider cross bow and nearly shot his eye out. I almost beat my husband for getting him that thing.” Twilight Velvet grumbled.

“It builds character.” Night Light offered.

“It nearly built a myopic unicorn foal thank you very much.” Twilight Velvet rolled her eyes as she turned the page.

[Mare-ry C Williams elementary school.]

“...So in conclusion, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer not only doesn't exist, but the whole song is about how being different is something to be ridiculed and tormented until that difference becomes profitable or useful.” Twilight stated.

“Thank you Twilight....” The teacher sighed. Honestly when she gave out the assignment to do a report on a Hearths Warming song she should have expected this level of nonsense.

She had vetoed the choice of song for Twilight being 'Baby it's cold outside' expecting Twilight like many older students she had tearing into the song for it's theme. Though Twilight had oddly defended that by bringing up that it was a product of it's time and that that sort of back and forth was expected from mares in that age no matter what they wanted.

“ Rahs you're next.” the teacher sighed knowing Twilight was going to have to read his too.

The Blue puppy walked up and sat down as Twilight took out another single sheet of paper and frowned at the horrid writing on it.

“I can't read this.” Twilight sighed.

“Wuff.” Rahs offered.

“Fine, I'll translate.” Twilight grumbled.

“Bork.” Rahs stated.

“You're a mean one Mister Grinch is not a Hearths warming song. At no point is Hearth's warming even mentioned in the song. It's just three minutes of some guy insulting some other guy set to a slow tone of music...” Twilight translated as the teacher dropped her head to the desk with a thud.

“Suffice to say my daughter has her own oddities for the holidays. Not that Rahs was any better.”Twilight Velvet chuckled as the others cackle.

“Now when they were nine Rahs and Twilight were in a school holiday play. A Hearth's Warming Carol. Twilight has the acting chops of a tuna fish, so she wound up being cast with a few other foals as trees and background scenery.” Twilight Velvet began.

“Ah ken see that.”
“I can see that.”

Chrysalis and Granny offered at the same time before laughing.

“Of course Rahs took it too far and clearly got his first taste of acting.” Twilight Velvet offered.

“So that's where it started huh?” Chrysalis smirked as Granny laughed.

[Mare-ry C Williams Elementary School, Cafeteria stage]

The little sea green foal dressed in a beard and a gray nightcap stared up at the black cloaked figure looming over him, the skeletal mask poking out of the hood showed two glowing amber eyes behind the fact bone.

The black cloak he wore fluttered as Rahs slowly moved his arm to gesture to the cardboard headstone he was standing next to.

The foal playing Scrooge stared up at Rahs his eyes wide stammering.

A tree behind him softly hissed as lines were stage whispered.

“Spirit who's lonely grave is this....” Twilight muttered.

“SssSpirit.. who... who's grave is this...?” Scrooge stammered.

The deep baritone that came out from behind the bone mask startled quite a number of parents and others in the crowd.

“ Why yours Ebeneezer, the richest stallion in the cemetery!” the ghost of Hearths Warming Future growled before throwing his head back with the sound of booming dark laughter, as the foal playing Scrooge tore off the stage at top speed while the curtains quickly closed, almost hiding the foal crashing through the scenery in an effort to get away.

“You're over doing it.” Twilight hissed.

Twilight Velvet smirked.” To be fair I think that might have been the first time even I was certain he spoke plain Equish.”

“Why does he even do that any way? We know he can speak just fine.” Chrysalis hummed.

“Yeah most any one gits outta him is a bark or something though.” Granny considered.

“Oh, well there's a reason for that. You see..” Twilight Velvet began only for a sudden explosion of magic to cut her off as her daughter appeared on the table.

Twilight looked around frantically at Chrysalis and Granny, before snatching up the photo album and vanishing with a pop of teleportation.

Granny and Chrysalis blinked, as Twilight Velvet sighed.

Night Light trotted back in at the sound. ”Was that Twili?”

“Of course. One of these days I am going to figure out how she knows when I break out the photo albums.” Twilight Velvet chuckled.

“Well that was fun while it lasted.” Granny cackled..

“Oh don't worry. My children have destroyed or stolen hundreds of photo albums over the years.” Twilight Velvet Smirked her horn glowing as another photo album appeared in a flash of teleportation before her.” I have more copies than they've stolen so far.”

“I will have to remember that.” Chrysalis smirked.” I just have all of Saturnia's hidden away, like the one where she used me as a stage to sing horrid off key Hearths Warming songs when she was five.”

“Okay that I wanna see.” Granny grinned.

“Well conveniently … “ Chrysalis drew a photo out of her saddle bag, and showed IT to them.

Author's Note:

Image does not belong to me, i just found it and it was perfect.
Edit: Not sure why the first posting didn't work for any one else try it now.

Enjoy your Holiday

PreviousChapters Next