• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 959 Views, 1 Comments

Star light - mareinthemoon



when you wish upon a star your once great dream can become a scar.

  • ...
1
 1
 959

Star light, Star bright

Star Light Star bright,
The first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.

~~~***~~~

The sun began to lay down to sleep beyond the horizon, the fire like hue dancing upon the last clouds beside its resting place.
The final embers of the day dimmed and rested as the shroud of deep blues gently wrapped the skies above Equestria like a fine sheet made of only the finest silks and decadent velvet's , gently tucking in the world below.

The fillies and foals,the young and the old sat eagerly at their window each night, awaiting for those lights of magic to awaken and fill the night with their hope and wonder in these dark times.

The night princess danced in the clouds above, the stars trailing behind her like a string of ducklings following their mother.
One by one the glimmering lights appeared as she gracefully flew into the night, her mane flowing gently in the moonlight as a sea of stars.

By daylight she was quite plain and most reserved, her mane was a simple sky blue and her fur a darker color than she would have liked. It was only upon learning her talent, upon finding what made her special that she truly found herself.
Under the sun she was a mere child in the eyes of the world but here under her moon, she was a graceful princess of the night.

Every night she felt her legs become longer,no longer needing to rest as much as she once had. Her runs in the clouds were no more rung pants from her frail lungs, she now took to the night in strides the stars themselves following her in joy as she took the night air deep into her lungs.
Her dark fur no longer brought her shame and she was proud of what her once pale mane became.
She was now a radiant princess of the night in spirit and heart, with her body beginning to reflect the change as well.


"Come my friends we would like more joy, no room for sorrow. For tis we who pave the dreams of tomorrow ."
She called out to the stars as they shined brighter than before, for their princess of dreams they did adore.
Thanks to her they could play that is until the light of day. She bounced from cloud to cloud with such delight as he eyes did glow a tinted blue as did the moonlight.

Alas for all things pure like such dreams they fall prey to horrid schemes.

~~~***~~~

Oh sweet princess of our night,
your new form would cause such fright.
So keep yourself away from sight,
your true form awoken in moonlight.

A stallion of white strode into the castle, was that mare truly their Luna? The mare was near the height of the mighty Celestia but the mane was a sea of stars. He had to get to the bottom of this, it was the guards duty to know all who walked in this kingdom for the safety of the royal family this had to be addressed.

Now, one simply cannot approach either princess. Despite the growing factions which serve to divide them they defend and cover up for each other at all times, consistently becoming the others shield and sword.

No, One simply cannot imply the princess is suffering from what could only be possession of a spirit from long ago.
Luna never carried herself with such dominance, nor commanded such presence.For sure he knew until his dying day the image of those eyes peering into his own would never leave the back of his mind.

Every pony needed to know whether this was the princess or a new kind of monster awaiting to swallow up their lives. To be frank after Discord they really wouldn't be able to take this much longer. The kingdom was still trying to mend the scars dealt by the chaos lord so the news of another being of the devious type would send them into a pass panic for sure.

In desperation he told the tale to another guard and that guard retold it once more, the tale became that of common place as it circulated from the guards to the staff and finally to the kingdom.
The pure princess with fur of silken darkness and eyes that glowed like the moon twisted into a fiendish beast that gobbled up innocent ponies in the dark.

The legendary tale of the beast 'Nightmare' had been born.
And so began the writing of the most famous of all tales, 'The Mare in the moon.'

~~~***~~~

Celestia awoke from her slumber, the nightmare plaguing her dreams once again. She had been resting less and less, each time seeing images of her darling sister in distress just an instant before springing awake.Celestia slowly made her way down the hallowed halls of their seemingly endless castle, the resounding silence serving to suffocate her on the inside. Herself and Luna were no more than birds in a gilded cage that were forced to sing.
She had expected the smiles of her people once more as she sat upon her throne for the day but as it often goes once should expect the unexpected.

Before her was no more the line of joyous subjects but instead were frightened ponies speaking of a demon mare they claim to have seen. The tales ranged from seeing her fly by and the lights vanishing with her to more horrific tales of abducted children and found bodies.
Many of these were not first hand accounts just mere hear say but the idea of such a being roaming the night was more than enough to cause terror to take hold once more.

The letters soon came in an alarming abundance, each tale of this Nightmare hurdling Celestia deeper and deeper into her own. The atrocities depicted were above all things disturbing, many included pictures of rotting fields and slain innocents in groves many farmers now demanding compensation for ruined fields at the hooves of this demonic fright.

The kingdom knew of this demon and began to associate just about anything that went wrong to her. It mattered not if the weather was not sunny or if a real beast from the Everfree had taken away their child into the night, the cause was always this Nightmare and Celestia was accountable for all it did while she remained.

The Nightmares appeared to have been leaking into her waking world as well, little did she know the little mare in her bed had grown up as did Celestia long ago. Her body to become that of the night itself.

While the world under the sun was torn asunder, in Luna's bed the blue mare was no more. Replaced only by a resting mare of blackest night with a mane and tail that of starlight.

Comments ( 1 )

Be aware, this has yet to be edited and I am aware of grammar issues abound. I would like to ask that you read it for story value alone and comment accordingly. The story is in the process of being edited and the chapters will be edited to reflect the corrections as they are completed.:pinkiehappy:

So now...On with the story :3

Login or register to comment