• Published 1st Jan 2021
  • 538 Views, 18 Comments

My Brave Pony: Starfleet Magic Season X - DakariKingMykan



Titan is back, and Protesters are being silly again.

  • ...
77
 18
 538

Episode 8: Con-Ref-Erence

EPISODE EIGHT

It had been two days since most of the main team took off into Space, and no reports had come in so far on the progress of the mission, but United Equestria still went on, and to give Starla an extra set of hands in helping her in battle, their majesties had sent for Princess Cadance and Shining Armor to come and stay at New Canterlot for a while.

At the moment, Lightning and Starla stood with their majesties awaiting the family’s arrival.

As usual, a royal fanfare was sounded, and Captain Shaina announced them. “Their Royal Highnesses, from the New Crystal Empire: Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, and Young Princess Flurry Heart.”

The family arrived through the warp portal Krysta had made, arriving with a few suitcases and things.

Everyone bowed to each other, but the Royal Family couldn’t help but gawk at Lightning and their majesties. They had heard of what happened to them, but the first time they actually saw them.

Cadance cleared her throat. “It’s, um… good to see you all again.”

“Likewise.” said Lightning.

Two year-old Flurry, got all jumpy and excited at the sight of Shining Light in Starla’s arms.

“Shining!” she squealed, and she fluttered out of her father’s arms right over to him and hugged him warmly.

“Flurr-Eee.” chirped Shining. He was just as happy to see her too.

Shining Armor chuckled, “He’s she can talk about. She’s been looking forward to this stay ever since.”

Starla gigged, “Let’s pen these two up so they can play.”

She took both infants with her, and no sooner had she left did Castor and Leilani show up.

“Cousin Cadance!!” they exclaimed with delight.

“Kids…!” Cadance called to them, and she rushed over and gave them both a big hug, and then together they did the special happy dance.

“Sunshine, Sunshine, Ladybugs awake.

Clap your hands and do a little shake.”

After things had cooled down a bit, the kids were playing with Flurry and Shining, keeping outside the playpen of course, while the grownups, and Lightning talked.


“We’re so glad you could come over.” said Celestia “Times have been so hard and dangerous lately.”

“It’s the least we can do.” said Shining Armor, and he looked over at Starla and then back to his wife, and snickered, “I have two ladies who tell me what to do now.”

Starla and Cadance shook their heads pitifully at that remark, and Shining Armor felt awkward, but not as awkward as their majesties and Lightning did by the way they kept staring at them.

“Sorry, we can’t help it.” admitted Cadance. “Besides, you do look rather cute.”

Celestia blushed and held in a laugh, and her husband rubbed his hand behind his head. “Truth is…” he said “I can hardly stop looking us over. Even after all this time, it feels so strange to be this age again.”

Cadance didn’t want to say out loud that she also felt awkward having an aunt and uncle whom were both younger and shorter than she, but she did plan to treat them and Lightning with the same respect she always had.

“It’s a good thing you all haven’t really changed.” said Krysta “What with the conference coming up and everything.”

“Conference…?” Lightning asked, and he remembered. “Oh, right, The Starfleet Situation Debates.”

It was a conference held every month or so by representatives of the force to help United Equestrians understand Starfleet better, and how to deal with things in everyday life to make things easier for both parties-- one being Starfleet, and the other being The People.

This month, Lightning was to preside, and despite his age he wouldn’t let it hold him back.

“I suppose it will help the people understand when and where respect can be due.

Starla then asked, “Isn’t Swift Star going to be present.”

“Yes, I asked him to help out. He’s done pretty well for his first months on the beat, and his inspirational speeches can go a long way to helping others understand the importance of law and order.”


Meanwhile, The Idiots had gathered in Beaker’s secret lab, having read about the conference in the newspaper.

Beaker angrily crumpled up the paper, but then he suddenly looked thrilled. “It’s just too hilarious-- Starfleet trying to defend themselves with lame and laughable excuses, and the people getting brainwashed by it all.”

“Speak for yourself.” said Paige. “My paper is being forced to cover the conference, so I have to be there and take notes of all the garbage about to be spewed.”

“Which is a good thing.” said Grimer. “Think of all the protestors that are liable to be there, and all the energy we can gather.”

Beaker grinned and nodded, “My thoughts exactly…” and he proceeded to check the energy flow for his machine. “With a conference that size, and knowing the mix of feelings, we could very well push ourselves ahead of schedule, or at least past the halfway mark.”

He then handed his comrades their passes which he had gotten for them.

“Us… at the conference?” asked Sun Dew.

“Yo, this ain’t cool. I was gonna chill tonight with my tunes.” complained Dodger.

Beaker gave him a stern expression, “Well, now, you’re all going to that conference to get us energy! Do you want to be rid of Starfleet, or don’t you?”

Sun sighed. “Yes, I do want to get rid of them. I just can’t stand hearing all the “stuff” they talk about and all the lies they spew.”

Grimer looked at her, “All the more reason for us to go. So we can hear what Starfleet has to say and learn more about them. That way it’ll be twice as easy to get rid of them.” he looked up at Beaker, “Right.”

Beaker agreed, but then he cautioned everyone, “Whatever you do, keep it quiet. Don’t use your energy absorbers inside and during the conference. Wait until after, and as the crowds begin to leave… then go for it.”

“We know the drill.” said Paige “Trouble with you is you worry too much.”

The others all gasped.

“Oh, no, she didn’t?!” mumbled Dodger.

Beaker fell silent, and with his back facing Paige, he calmly yet deeply said, “Why shouldn’t I worry? I mean after all… I only spent years working on the project…” His voice began to louden. “It is very precise, and complicated, and to lose control of things now would mean years and resources wasted, and our world will be subjected to those we can’t stand forever!!

…And you have the nerve to tell me not to worry?”

The others all gave Paige the same look of disdain.

Defeated and humiliated, Paige declared, “I promise to be careful.”

Beaker nodded, and dismissed everyone.



That night, at the New Canterlot Congress building…

Loads of ponies and other creatures were gathering in the building, including The Idiots themselves, but they all kept far away from one another so as not to arouse suspicion.

Paige, being a reporter, was given a special place in an upper seating area, along with other reports from all over the planet.

Her colleagues all sat in back rows at opposite ends of the hall, and as Beaker had cautioned them, they kept their absorbers out of sight.



Out in the back of the building, the Royal Family had arrived, along with Cadance and Shining Armor, and they were ready to take their places in the royal box.


Princess Luna had stayed behind at the palace to look after the infants, but Castor and Leilani were brought to the conference, something they really didn’t enjoy, having sat through long speeches and meetings before,

“Mother, why do we have to come?” asked Castor.

Celestia sighed, “Do we have to go through this again?”

“These conferences are so boring.” grumbled Leilani.

A typical child reaction…

“Children, you both getting to be pretty big,” explained Grand Ruler “And it’s about time you started to develop a sense of royal responsibility. Your mother and your Aunt Luna were already training and studying at your age.”

The children still felt it was boring, and Cadance patted their heads, “You’ll grow accustomed to it. I know I had to.”

Shining Armor gave his wife a playful smirk.


Lightning and Starla were already inside, and preparing to take their places at the panel. Pinkie was with them, via her droid, and so was Swift.

This was his first official conference, and he was feeling nervous, especially when he peeked through the doors.

“Wow! What a crowd. I don’t think I can go through with this.”

“Oh, sure you can.” said Lightning. “It’s just a conference, not a talent show. The people try to make it sound like a popularity contest, but it really isn’t.”

Starla agreed, “You should be honored to be here. Not many first year cops get to show up at these things anyway, but you’ve learned and done a lot in the past months.”

Swift felt less nervous.


Soon, the councillors of the panel hushed the chattering crowds. They welcomed everyone and introduced the speaker.

“We have with us…” called the chairman “Commander Lightning Dawn, General Starla Shine, Colonel Pinkie Pie, or rather her droid, and as a special guest appearance, we have Cadet Swift Star, whom in spite of his being on the force for only six months, has been given approval by Commander Lightning to be at this meeting.”

The large crowd applauded as the officers took their seats.

The royal family applauded too.


Each member of the Idiots gave slow and visibly boring applause, and the reporters were already taking notes. Paige was more than unimpressed.

“These people are a waste of space!” she grumbled in thought, the way they were applauding for Lightning. “He’s a kid! He shouldn’t even be still on the force, yet their all praising him like he’s some hotshot.”

Lightning raised his hands to hush the crowds. “I’m glad to see that you all still hold me in high respect despite my appearance, which I wholeheartedly appreciate.”

He then came straight to the point. “During the past weeks, we have been seeing uproar of protests towards Starfleet and those who are either affiliated with them or in favor of the force, which has led to outbreaks of violent behaviour.

Hence why we like to call this monthly conference to help you, the people, understand the circumstances which surround Starfleet, and how they can affect your ways of life for the better.”

As was tradition, the meeting opened with a retelling of the history of how Starfleet came into the lives of the Equestrians, which involved The Great War, and how things got way out of hand, and both Equestria and Unicornicopia were destroyed.

A story which many people had heard many times, and it was always the same as Starla explained, “Had it not been for Starfleet’s assistance, all inhabitants of Equestria would have perished when the planet exploded due to the irreversible damages caused by villains, not by us.”

Images of memories of the past were shown to further explain and show the facts.

Many of the people applauded in favor of the story, while few others remained skeptical, and even fewer others, especially The Idiots.

“Those Starfleet Simps were responsible for the destruction of our world.” thought Grimer. “Nothing will convince me otherwise.”

His colleagues all thought the same as if they had completely ignored what had just been said, as well as proven.

“They probably just show us these images they made up and claim their from people’s memories.”


…Their stubbornness was simply unfathomable, as well as their tolerance for the large amounts of ovation from the audience of supporters.


Castor and Leilani yawned in boredom, but tried their best to stay awake, while their parents and the grownups were pleased to see and hear everything running smoothly.

The Chairman then stood and addressed the crowd. “At this time, we shall now open the floor to questioning for the people and by the people. You may speak your mind and ask questions regarding the ethics, functions, or rulings Starfleet represents or passes out.

The officers will do their best to answer, and hopefully dispel some of you skepticism.”


Sun Dew twiddled her fingers rather eerily as she thought, “Finally, we get to the real stuff. Now we’ll see who here actually has a brain, and who isn’t taken in by all this.”


In front of every person, kept in a slot in the back of the chair ahead of them were signaling devices, which everyone could grab, and would buzz in. Whoever rang in first would have their say.

The chairman called, “You may buzz in… now!”

When all was done, one lucky Unicorn mare got to stand up.

“I’m sure that a lot of you will agree with me when ask this question: Why does Starfleet always seem to go out of their way to bully people who so much as speak their minds like we’re doing now? We have our protests and our disagreements. Why can’t we voice them without being pushed off?”

She received applause for that from some of the audience, but the majority could only shake their heads in disdain against her.

Lightning allowed Swift Star to take up the answering.

Swift kept calm and answered, “Starfleet may seem pushy or bullying, but at the end of the day we are officers of the law, and it is our job to maintain law and order and to keep the peace going, especially when the actions of you, the people, start to get out of hand.

Now you, the people, have rights-- the rights to opinions, and the right to feel the way you do. We are not forcefully telling you to praise us like gods, or trying to whip you like slave drivers.

But when you violate or break the laws, we must take decisive action, just as you must answer for the acts you commit.

These rules are enforced to keep life plain and simple. So we, Starfleet and Civilian, may live together in peace, and these rules also in exist in many other societies you may have heard of.

If you break the law, and are caught, you must answer, and again, we are not trying to bully and push you all around, but stop you, the people, from making that mistake and causing disruptions and disturbances.”

As a result, he received thunderous applause for his answer.

The mare seemingly understood and sat down, thus opening the floor to another buzz-in.

The next pony to stand was a male Earth Pony. He asked. “I get this whole follow the laws stuff, but what if there are laws we just don’t like? You said we had rights. Well, what if I decide to say “No,” and rally people to join me in the march?”

He received some applause, but again not very much, and others gave him the same look disdain. Some even muttered…

“How can he ask a thing like that?”

“This guy obviously doesn’t pay attention.”

Lightning, again, let Swift take the chair. “You’re doing great.” he told him.


Swift clear his throat and answered.

“As was implied, we are law enforcement; we don’t make the laws, and we did say you have rights do be outraged, and you also have the rights to protest.

Our obligation is to uphold every law, not just ones that we choose. Sometimes even we are skeptical about actions we have to take. Even the supreme courts have that same obligation, and, like us, they share some of our skepticism.

Now if you don’t like a law, as was said, you can be outraged with it. You can rally minority groups to voice your opinions and show that perhaps needs to be changed.

Basic words for this, it’s called “Democracy.”

The audience began to look back and forth at every else, and some exchanged mutterings of agreement or disagreement, and the chairman called for order.


Swift continued. “In Democracy, the minority has the right to try and convince the majority that laws should be changed, but that does not give the minority the right to ignore the laws that exist.

You don’t get to choose which laws you will or will not obey.

You also do not have the right or the authority to tell other people that you are right and they are wrong.

Denying someone their opinion, or refusing to allow them to have their say of things--Democracy does not and cannot function that way. There can never be a majority of just one vote, or one party's opinion.

If you wish to protest against laws or rules you think are unfair, you may do so, but only within the laws and not violate them. You don’t get to do crazy things like lay in the streets or standing in doorways, refusing to let people in. You also don’t get to refuse to pay your dues, or impede the daily lives of others, or even attack them physically or break their property out of sheer annoyance, or thinking they deserve it… not unless they try to attack you first or you see them attacking someone else.

These laws existed in Equestria of Old, before The Great War and before Starfleet came. I know this, because I studied them.

So don’t think Starfleet is to blame for such things like these. It’s just the way society is and always has been.”


He received more applause, much to the disdain of the, still, unconvinced protestors, or The Idiots.

“Man, this really turning my stomach.” thought Dodger. He looked around at all the others who applauded in favor of the speech and saw very few who were on his side. “Well I just hope we can gather all the energy we need. The sooner Beaker puts his project in gear the better.”


After a few more questions, the Chairman declared, “We seem to be running short of time. Even a conference of this importance cannot go on forever and ever.”

Soft chuckles were heard from the crowd…

“But we all hope this has been most helpful to you. Always remember, laws, order, and those here to maintain them are here to help us and keep the peace. Without these laws, and without Starfleet, or the guards, or officials to enforce them then our planet would become chaotic, with anarchy, and the laws of survival-- with the strong preying on the weak.

It also makes us vulnerable to our enemies and the evil forces that come out for us.

That is why I am proud to say how much I appreciate the efforts of Starfleet, and I only wish we, the people you have guarded and protected these many years, could do so much more for you.

Thank you, and good night.”

The crowds applauded thunderously, and the officers all stood up and bowed, but everyone seemed to be cheering for Swift, which flattered him deeply.

“They loved me that much?” he wondered aloud.


Lightning smiled at him, “You showed real heart and devotion, not just to the law, but to the people and their desires for a better world, and while you might not have convinced everyone who is still opposed to us to change their views, you have set great examples and showing how things are, and how they must be in order to maintain the order.”

Starla smiled at him proudly, and Pinkie made her droid give a thumb-up remarking “Nice one kid. Come to the café, we’ll make you a special cake.”

Swift didn’t think he could feel this proud of himself. He came in a bit nervous, and he was going out a top-class speaker.


Up in the royal box, Castor and Leilani had fallen fast asleep-- the poor dears.

Cadance and Shining Armor scooped them up in their arms, since the parents weren’t big enough to do so. They were too busy looking down at the officers, and feeling just as proud of Swift as Lightning did.

“He’s come a long way since he and Lightning met.” said Celestia.

Grand Ruler agreed, “Just as Lightning came a long way since I met him. His pride his former student is strong, for only someone with experience as his would understand how far has come, and used it to motivate Swift to go the distance.”

As he looked down at the two officers, the both of them seemed illuminated by a soft golden glow, showing their strengths and pride.


Little did any of them realize that as the people began to file out, The Idiots had already slipped out of the hall earlier and were standing outside and were absorbing the energy of those whom were still, stubbornly, unmoved by the speeches and facts.

Nobody would see what they were doing amongst the huge crowds.

Then they all regrouped, and moved into a deserted corner where no one would see them, and they teleported back to the lab to find Beaker waiting for them all… and looking at his watch.

“…Five minutes late.”

“You were actually timing us?” asked Grimer.

“Wow! Someone’s more organized than I thought.” muttered Sun.

Beaker ignored the slander, and looked at Paige’s notes taken from the conference. All he could was laugh and cackle. “You’re kidding me, right?

Oh, boy, do I feel sorry for anyone who had to sit through all this nonsense and buy it.”

He then carelessly threw all the pages on the floor.

“Hey, I need those!” cried Paige, and she scampered to gather them all.

Beaker then activated the computers and observed the energy meter, which was half-way to the top by now.

Then he began to think deeply. “With the people of this planet are becoming more and more hopeless, getting involved with all this Starfleet farce, maybe I should consider putting the plan into action sooner than ever.”

He snickered softly while tapping his finger on the console.


The others wondered what he was thinking.

“Is he alright?” Dodger asked softly. “I’m getting some serious chilly vibes here, and that’s not cool.”

The others all had the same bad feeling about this. It happened before with Ace Ray and Windy Bag-- Over time their hatred and loathing of Starfleet caused them to snap and go morbidly insane, and it was Starting to seem as though Beaker wasn’t about to be the exception.

Still, it was too early to say, and so they all decided to head out. There would be loads of more energy to gather another day.


(Promo)

In our next episode: Attacks on United Equestria continue, and Starlight is no longer able to hold back and enters battle herself, against orders. Meanwhile, Buddy Rose and Applejack clash with the evil attacking the planet Herboss, and Buddy ends up running into his old flame which begins to cause him awkwardness.

Will Starlight finally confront Celestia, and what can Buddy expect to see from his ex?

Don’t miss the next exciting episode of “Starfleet Magic!”

(Next Episode: “Turning Over an Old Leaf”)