• Published 20th Dec 2011
  • 7,077 Views, 280 Comments

Truth - shawnay631



Vinyl Scratch finds that love is impossible to explain and even harder to fight for.

  • ...
12
 280
 7,077

Chapter Three

"Nopey dopey!"

"What do you mean NO? Pinkie, c'mon! You know, like, everypony!"

Pinkie giggled and continued her bounce around Vinyl Scratch. Scratch tried to keep up with the constant pink movement but found herself getting a bit dizzy. And hungry for cotton candy for some reason. She shook her head to try and get back into the conversation.

"Honestly Pinkie, how many grey ponies can there be?"

"Oh lots and lots! There's this one colt that comes into Sugarcube Corner every single day and buys one chocolate cupcake. Every day! Only one! Can you believe that? And there's another -"

"Okay, you're done."

Scratch signed and made a face. If Pinkie didn't know who this pony was, who in the hay would? Pinkie was like a giant database of information that anypony could turn to and find things out about other ponies.

"Maybe you should just try to meet her at the store again! I know if I saw somepony somewhere doing something I'd try to find them there again. Like this one time when I was looking for Rainbow Dash.."

Vinyl Scratch nearly stopped breathing as she slowly closed her eyelids. She wasn't hearing the words Pinkie was saying because she was too busy swearing at herself for being such a dunce.

"Thanks Pinkie, I…"

Pinkie acted as if she didn't even register what Scratch was saying. She kept on with her story.

"So I was looking ALL OVER for Dashie but I couldn't find her. And that's when I remembered…"

"Pink- Ah, screw it. Hey, is that pony giving out cupcakes?"

Pinkie's attention shifted faster than a speeding pegasus and with a flash, she was gone. Scratch chuckled to herself and headed back home, all the while wondering how she could have missed the obvious answer.

*******

Vinyl Scratch stared up at the off white ceiling of the apartment she shared with Bon Bon. The nauseating couple had been gone when Scratch had gotten back, but it was surely only a matter of time before they returned. After all, Celestia-forbid that Lyra got any less than nine hours of rest. That mare could, and did, find anything to complain about. Scratch turned up the dial on her mp3 player and let the beats wash over her. There was something about getting lost in the beats of a great song that left Scratch feeling better about life. Hard guitars and angry, hurt lyrics rang out through her headphones and took her away from a world that allowed stupid ponies. She put her hooves behind her head and relaxed, closing her eyes, and saw the gorgeous grey pony from the music store. How in Equestria was she going to just happen to run into her again? She'd just have to try at the same time tomorrow.

Scratch was so immersed in her music, in this pony, that she didn't hear Lyra and Bon Bon come home. Lyra stood in the doorway of Scratch's room for a while, calling the spaced out unicorn. Even as Lyra approached, Bon Bon only steps behind her, Scratch stayed oblivious to her presence. That is, until, Lyra not-so-gently poked Scratch in her very-much-so ticklish ribs.

"EEP!"

Scratch flew into the air and immediately began swinging her hooves wildly about. Bon Bon and Lyra were practically crying they were laughing so hard. The couple watched as Scratch found herself tangled in the chord to her headphones, which in turn caused her to flail about more, which caused her to get caught in the blankets.

"You wanna throw hooves? I'll throw hooves you buck! Fight like a colt!"

Bon Bon and Lyra roared in laugher as Scratch finally freed herself from her cotton imprisonment.

Scratch flung her headphones off and oriented herself, finally focusing on what was going on. Rage burned inside her. She really wanted to tell Lyra what to do with that hoof. Instead she smiled at the two, doing her best to maintain her usually present cool. No use fighting over something silly, now was there? Still though, she couldn't force her voice to be anything other than deadpan.

"I should have known."

Lyra and Bon Bon were finally calming down. Bon Bon wiped a tear from her eye. Scratch plastered an extra wide grin on her face.

That's right. Laugh it up. You mother –

"I'm sorry Vinyl, I couldn't help myself. You looked so in the zone. I tried calling you."

"Oh, that's quite all right, Lyra. Better be careful, though, wouldn't want to get caught in the face with a flying hoof."

Lyra's smile wavered. She didn't seem to know whether or not there was a hint of threat in Scratch's overly sweet voice. Scratch saw the hesitation in her golden eyes and decided to play nice. It was what everypony wanted, after all.

"Anyway. Now that you two have embarrassed me, how was your dinner?"

"It was good. We went to Everfree Colthouse."

Scratch's face fell. On one hoof, she hated being the third pony to their disgusting couple but on the other hoof… no one had as good of food as Colthouse. Scratch decided she got the better end of the deal. When Scratch rejoined the conversation, Lyra and Bon Bon had taken seats directly across from her on the bed. There wasn't exactly room for three ponies on it, so it made it a little awkward in terms of proximity. Scratch scooted as far away from the two as she could, as nonchalantly as she could. Which was about as stealthy as hosting a lightswitch rave in the mayor's office. And considering the amount of pleading Scratch had to do to not get thrown in jail… it wasn't all that stealthy.

Maybe I should try it at NOT two in the morning next time.

"Vinyl, we're worried about you."

"Hmm?" Scratch knew Lyra was talking in her concerned voice, but she didn't really care as to what was being said. Even still, the DJ turned her nearly full attention on the two ponies across from her.

"You've just been acting really off lately. Especially today. You know you can talk to me about anything at all."

Bon Bon nodded earnestly behind Lyra. It was Lyra's tone that grated on Scratch's nerves. She just needed to be free from Lyra. For four years their friendship had been nothing but a situation for an opportunistic pony like Lyra to take advantage of. Lyra knew that right now, Scratch couldn't quite run out like she did earlier.

"I know I can."

"… Well?"

"Well what? I've had a long day. I'm sorry you're upset about it. I've got a lot of stuff to do tomorrow and I'm just planning stuff out."

"What kind of stuff?"

"Just some business I have to take care of."

"You're not going to do anything dangerous are you?"

Scratch couldn't help herself but to roll her eyes.

"Yes, I'm going to jump off of the Princesses' castle, while high on acid and wearing a velvet picture of Celestia on my flank."

"Come on Vinyl. I'm serious."

"So am I."

"Aw come on Lyra, Vinyl is obviously okay. Let's just let her be. I'm beat anyway."

Lyra made a face at Bon Bon. She clearly wanted to play physcoltogist today. Scratch gave Bon Bon an appreciative nod which was acknowledged with a small smile. Scratch decided now was a good time to go in for the kill.

"Yeah, don't worry about me, Lyra. I'm good. Just a long day is all."

Lyra seemed unhappy but left the room without another word. Relishing in her victory, Scratch fixed her bed so that she could attempt to calm herself and rest. With the lights out, and music softly caressing her ear drums, Scratch stared into the black void that was currently her ceiling. She again shut her eyes, falling into the complex beats of the music. She was content in this moment. Anytime she could beat Lyra at her own game was a good day. Especially anytime Bon Bon aided her.

Scratch let the music consume her, and take her to the realm of sleep. It was all she could do to shut out those purple eyes before she drifted into a deep slumber.