• Published 20th Dec 2011
  • 7,079 Views, 280 Comments

Truth - shawnay631



Vinyl Scratch finds that love is impossible to explain and even harder to fight for.

  • ...
12
 280
 7,079

Chapter Two

“This is so ridiculous, I don’t even…”

Vinyl Scratch shook her head at her own musings. It had been hours since she had seen the gorgeous pony in the music shop, yet she couldn’t stop thinking about her.

“Those eyes. Ugh.”

Scratch slammed her head against the back of the couch she was sitting on. How could somepony, who’s name she didn’t even know, be having this much of an effect on her?

“WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?”

“I’ve been wondering the same thing for a while.”

Scratch’s head jerked up to see Lyra smiling at her from the doorway. It was the kind of sickeningly sweet smile that Vinyl had grown to loathe over the last year. What once was comforting to her had now become a symbol of, well, oppression almost. Scratch forced herself to smile back at Lyra.

“Didn’t hear you come in. How’s it hangin’, toots?”

Lyra made a face. She hated when Scratch patronized her like that.

“Everything is okay. How are you? You look upset. What’s on your mind?”

Scratch did her best to control her face into the smile she needed it to be. For so long, Lyra had been there for her. Lyra had been the shoulder that Scratch needed, that is, if Scratch ever actually needed it. Having been there for Scratch at all gave Lyra a way of reading the white unicorn eerily well. For somepony like Scratch who just loved life, though, there was rarely a need to go crying to anypony about a stubbed hoof. Broken glasses on the other hand… Vinyl Scratch couldn’t help the grin that stretched over her face.

Mare’s gotta have her priorities.

“Nothing’s wrong, dude. Where’s B-squared at?”

Lyra rolled her eyes. It was the one thing that Scratch knew she could do to get under her old friend’s fur. Lyra hated not having enough control to pull an answer out of her friend. And sometimes, getting Lyra irritated was all Scratch really wanted. Sure, Scratch tried her best to play nice for a long time, but there’s a certain time in everypony's life where the horseshoes have to come off.

“She’s your roommate, shouldn’t you know?”

“Hey, I just got in, boss. Besides, you’re the one dating her. Shouldn’t YOU know where your fillyfriend is?”

Lyra grimaced. She loved Bon Bon, nopony could ever argue that, but she also hated the term ‘fillyfriend’. Scratch knew she was really digging her hooves into the depths of Lyra’s patience. She smiled to herself. All things considered, Lyra put up with most all of Scratch’s remarks, but the DJ was also positive that she was only doing it to save face. Scratch knew that if she just kept pushing at Lyra’s buttons, she could make the minty menace go away. Maybe.

“Bon Bon should be here soon. She got off work at three today.”

Vinyl nodded and a silence swept over the room. There was a time where the silence wouldn’t have felt awkward. Vinyl considered trying to force some conversation, but realized that it would be about as easy as taming one of those noise monsters from the shop. For some unknown reason, that had absolutely nothing to do with the grey mare, Scratch’s mouth was suddenly watering.

Oh you are just the worst kind of pony.

Scratch smiled as she let her imagination take her back to the grey pony with the most beautiful eyes she’d ever seen. She cast a glance at Lyra who was currently picking at her hooves. Yes, the unnamed pony definitely had the most beautiful eyes…

The front door finally threw itself open. Scratch grumbled as she had just gotten that pretty little bowtie off in the depths of her way-too-active imagination.

“Hey my mares!”

“Hey B-Squared!”

Lyra grimaced at the nickname but still readily accepted a kiss on the cheek from her beloved. Scratch averted her gaze to the far corner of the room and retched, audibly. This drew the ire of Lyra’s golden eyes but a chuckle from Bon Bon. Not that anything Scratch did at the time was relevant for too long; the couple was too busy eye molesting each other. Scratch coughed like she had just inhaled a baby dragon, finally breaking their gross mind humping. Lyra cast yet another disapproving glace at Scratch. Bon Bon’s cheeks brushed with a light pink before she turned to leave.

“I’m going to go shower and then we can head out. Are you coming tonight, Scratch?”

“Guh?”

“You know, a bunch of the gals from the shop and us are going to go get some dinner. You’re more than welcome to join. I thought Lyra invited you.”

“Ah, I’d love to, but I really have to wax my flank. With a, uh, rock. While juggling my records. With a, um, spoon. Should take all night.”

Again, Bon Bon laughed. Lyra watched as Bon Bon chuckled right into the bathroom. As quickly as Bon Bon disappeared, Lyra’s head snapped in Scratch’s direction.

“Are you mad at me or something?”

Lyra’s tone wasn’t as much concerned as it was demanding. Scratch knew that Lyra had no way of seeing the hatred brewing in her red eyes, but she still did her best to maintain her composure. Scratch wondered how it ever got to this point. How something so awesome turned into a raging hatred due to somepony’s inability to let sleeping ponies lie. Scratch didn’t like how she felt towards Lyra, but then again, Lyra did nothing but fuel it. In as graceful of a movement as she could muster, Scratch threw herself off the couch and headed towards the door.

“Nah. I’m not mad, Lyra. I just got ear assaulted today and I’m a little crabby about being so violated. Now if you don’t mind, I’ve got muzzles to rock off. See ya. Have fun at dinner with Bizzle Squizzle.”

------

It was gorgeous outside. It was an uncharacteristically mild autumn day and the warm air brushed Vinyl's fur in a most pleasing way. The smell of a far-away rain reached Scratch's nostrils and she breathed in deeply, savoring the moment. It took only seconds, though, for her mind to wander back to exactly what she didn't want it to wander to; and she only wished she knew that grey pony's name! It was getting a little irritating to keep calling her "Grey Pony Who Plays Music Goodly". There just had to be a way to find out who she was, what she did, what her favorite flower was, if she was dating anypony, her size of horseshoe, and exactly how much she loved white-coated unicorns.

Vinyl Scratch looked at what she knew. This pony was obviously grey, with a flowing black mane, and amazing purple eyes. She played Luna-awful music but she played it well. It was the good kind of terrible. Her movements were graceful and meticulous. She was obviously some sort of robot because no pony that didn’t have magic…

She wasn’t a unicorn. That pony was an earth pony! Playing such beautiful, er, such stringy music. Now that was talent. Scratch nodded to herself, proud. She sure did know how to pick ‘em. A talented monster-tamer who didn’t even use magic.

Those are some talented hooves…

Vinyl lost herself in this thought for a moment. A long moment. A little too long of a moment, considering she was out in public. Eventually she realized she needed to get to know this pony, if nothing else, to say she knew the most talented earth pony in existence. But how? It wasn’t exactly as if there was a way to figure out where she was going to be at a certain time every day, doing the same thing over and over again. Like some sort of practice or something. A daily practice. But what? What would she possibly do every day? Scratch didn’t even see her cutie mark, so she had no leads on what she could possibly be good at.

“I got it! I’ll go see Pinkie Pie! She knows everypony!”