• Published 20th Dec 2011
  • 7,077 Views, 280 Comments

Truth - shawnay631



Vinyl Scratch finds that love is impossible to explain and even harder to fight for.

  • ...
12
 280
 7,077

Chapter Fourteen

Note: There are THEMES in this one, so be a bit careful with it! (Nothing graphic.)


Vinyl felt herself stir from her deep, happy sleep. Her eyes were about to creek open before she slammed a forehoof over the top of them to prevent it.

Alright Vinyl. Two things could happen when you open your eyes. Either A, you’re going to wake up in your bed and realize that everything you thought happened was just a dream and you’re a crazy pony for even thinking you were brave enough to say anything to Octy… or letter two, Octavia is laying next to you after you told her you liked her, giving you a false sense of accomplishment in your bravery and an even falserer sense of her maybe sort of possibly liking you back, even though you know damn well she’s in love with Frederic. Are you willing to take that chance?

Vinyl laid completely still for a moment, turning her options over in her mind. If Octavia was in her bed, that meant that everything she thought had happened, had indeed happened. But on the other hand, if Octavia wasn’t there, she either had no chance of ever being with the beautiful grey mare, or she had the most realistic dream in her life. She wondered how she would feel either way, doing her best to convince herself that she and Octavia were just friends and nothing more. It was easier to set herself up that way that face the crushing rejection she was surely about to face. Her thoughts got abruptly interrupted, though, when she felt another body move to her left. A large smile plastered itself on her face as she cautiously opened her eyes.

Sun eagerly poked through a thin purple blanket Vinyl hung over her window, casting daylight on the still-sleeping face of Octavia. Vinyl watched her for a long moment, her muscles pushing determinedly against her will to place a forehoof over the sleeping mare. The DJ wanted so desperately to hold her, to cuddle next to her, even to just play with her mane... anything to get closer to Octavia. She conceded just a bit and rolled to her side, mirroring Octavia’s sleeping position, coming face to face with her bed buddy. Vinyl brought her own forehoof up and let it rest within mere inches of Octavia’s own. She stopped herself short of making contact and distracted herself with the rays of sun dancing across Octavia’s face. She could have laid there for hours, just watching light slowly caress every inch of gray fur.

Yeah, wow, no. C’mon Vinyl. Quit with the sappy crap. She’s in love with Frederic. Why am I letting myself get so close to her then?... Probably because I’m a masochist.

Octavia’s eyelids fluttered open, her first view of the morning being an incredibly enamored Vinyl Scratch. Vinyl worried, and simultaneously cursed at herself for getting so close, about how Octavia would respond to such an… overwhelming good morning. A corner of Octavia’s mouth lifted into a sleepy smirk, reassuring Vinyl that she wasn’t some weirdo stalker from some terrible book-to-movie series.

“Well hi.” Octavia’s voice was still gravely with sleep.

“Mornin’ m’lady.”

Vinyl and Octavia stared at each other for a long moment, neither mare’s eyes flickering even the slightest of an inch. The silence that passed between them wasn’t awkward but it did give Vinyl’s mind time to race through the facts of her friendship with Octavia. As much as she tried, it was becoming increasingly harder to not be at least somewhat optimistic about the chance of a relationship. It was a constant battle in her head. She refused to believe it because, after all, Octavia was in love with Frederic. Aside from that was the idea that Octavia didn’t like mares in the first place. Vinyl didn’t want her inevitable rejection to hurt more than it had to. In her mind, the only way to do that was to absolutely refuse any evidence that Octavia cared for her more than she would any other friend. That she slept next to. And cuddled with on occasion under the stars. And sat extremely close to. Any other friend she would do all that with.

… Right. Not helping.

“Are you still coming to the concert tonight?”

“Huh? What concert?” Vinyl completely lost her train of thought.

Octavia showed no signs of irritation. “Frederic’s sister? Orchestra?”

“Oh. Uh. Yeah, sure.” Vinyl deflated at the mere mention of Frederic’s name.

“I mean… if you don’t want to go, that’s alright.” Octavia said with a hint of dejection in her voice.

“Wait, what, no! I, no yeah, I want to go. I just figured you’d be sick of me by this point. I mean, you do practically live here.” Vinyl playfully nudged Octavia with her forehoof and smiled.

“Are you sure you want to come?”

“Absolultely.” Vinyl lied.

Octavia beamed. “Good. I should probably go, though. You know, the shop and all that.”

“Right, yeah, sure. I’ll meet you at your place at seven?”

“Perfect.”

Vinyl watched as Octavia slowly pushed herself out of bed and stretched. On one hoof, she was a bit sad that the warmth and closeness of Octavia was leaving. She liked and cherished every second she got to spend next to the gray mare. Of course, it didn’t hurt that Octy humored Vinyl by letting her get so close. On the other hoof… well, watching Octavia stretch wasn’t a bad view to start off the morning with. Octavia turned her head over her shoulder and smiled as a light pink blush rose in Vinyl’s guilty cheeks.

“Oh, and Vinyl?” Octavia stopped in the doorway.

“Yeah Octy?”

“I’m definitely not sick of you.”

Vinyl opened her mouth to respond, but found it fruitless. Octavia trotted out the door and down the hallway leaving Vinyl to try to find her words by herself. There was a rather large part of her that was getting giddy, a part in which she tried to control with overwhelming pessimism. Another part of her was still trying to come up with a response. Finally the two parts collided, leaving Vinyl laying in bed, doing the cabbage patch, and unable to contain herself from yelling in excitement.

------

Vinyl trotted down now familiar roads, glancing up at the jet black sky embracing the stars. The dark majesty of the night always calmed Vinyl, even if she wasn’t feeling nervous. She heaved a sigh and saw her breath form a cloud over her head as she looked skyward again.

If I’m so comfortable with Octavia loving Frederic and not me… then why am I so nervous? Why does this BOTHER me?

Vinyl hated the idea of meeting Frederic. She didn’t want to meet Frederic, she didn’t want to go to this stupid concert with stupid instruments that she didn’t care about, and she surely didn’t want to watch Octavia gawk over Frederic’s stupid face. Before Vinyl had the time to curse at her mind’s version of Frederic, she rounded the corner and saw Octavia staring out of her front window. Octy’s face lit up when she spotted Vinyl, and she promptly trotted away, presumably towards her front door. All of Vinyl’s insecurities washed away when she saw her favorite set of purple eyes eagerly waiting her arrival. Vinyl quickened her pace and got to the front door as soon as it swung open. Vinyl noticed the lavender colored sweater that Octavia donned and almost had to bite her lip to keep back comments.

Holy hot nerdy look, Coltman.

“Hello Vina. On time as usual.”

“Heh, yeah. You look… really nice tonight. Brings out your eyes.” Vinyl mumbled.

A small blush played over Octavia’s cheeks. “Thank you. Shall we?”

The two quickly reached the concert hall, with each step causing Vinyl’s heart to quicken its pace and her stomach to turn harder. From the outside, the building looked to be nothing more than dull brown brick, worn with age. Small pillars lined the side, holding up an overhang. As they approached the door, they saw that almost an entire half of the building’s brick was replaced with crystal clear glass, allowing them to see all the ponies meandering inside. A doorman held the door open, greeting all of the ponies and handing out programs as they fell in line and filed into the building. The concert hall nearly took Vinyl’s breath away.

It was a huge room coated in gold colored fabric. More pillars lined the walls for décor, circling around all of the rows and weaving in between the balconies above. Even the ceiling was one of the finest that Vinyl had ever seen. It was a mixture of carefully constructed colors swirling together, creating a chaotic rainbow of sorts, meeting in the exact center. The stage was huge. No less than thirty chairs curled around its perimeter, with a majestic looking red velvet curtain hanging in the backdrop. Octavia stopped nearly as soon as they entered the room, scanning the crowds.

“Hello Octavia!”

Vinyl’s heart stopped and she had to physically contain herself from raising her upper lip in a deep growl. She turned to see Octavia trotting up to a tan colored pony with a white mane and pale green eyes. Frederic. Vinyl begrudgingly slumped towards the two of them.

“Hello Mr. Horseshoepin. How are you?”

“Oh, I’m great. And yourself?”

“Couldn’t be better. Frederic, this is Vinyl. Vinyl, Frederic.”

Vinyl did her best to smile, but figured she looked more like she had rabies.

“Hi. Nice to finally meet you.” She choked out through clinched teeth.

“Likewise.”

Octavia and Frederic continued their conversation as Vinyl dejectedly and bitterly scanned the room.

He’s not so freaking impressive. He’s all plain colored and crap. Probably took the tie idea from Octy. Figured he’d be all… I don’t know. I think he’s gay though. Yep. Definitely gay. Definitely doesn’t want to date Octy. MY Octy. Back off dude. Don’t give me that stupid smile. I’ll make you go home crying. Stupid colt.

“Vinyl?”

Vinyl snapped her head around when she heard her favorite, honey-sweet voice calling her name. Octavia smiled but cocked an eyebrow and begun to lead Vinyl and Frederic to their seats.

“Seat preference, Frederic?”

“No, any place will do.”

“Probably some place in the middle of the row, eh Octy?” Vinyl chirped, trying to exercise how much she knew about Octavia.

Octavia smiled and continued to lead the two. They made it to the second tier when Vinyl noticed that she, not Octavia, was walking in the middle. She wondered if Octavia was going to pause and wait for Frederic, so she could sit next to him.

Octavia cast a glance back and trotted into her row of choice, gently lowering herself to a seat. Vinyl and Frederic followed suit, with Vinyl sitting in the middle. It was only a second before she couldn’t restrain her tongue anymore. She leaned towards Octavia to whisper, out of Frederic’s ear shot, and felt a pang shoot through her heart when Octavia leaned back into her.

“I figured you’d sit in the middle.” Vinyl whispered after she regained her thoughts.

“I am in the middle.” Octavia said, her eyes straight forward.

“No, I meant in the middle of US.”

“Oh, well, you know.”

Vinyl lowered her eyebrows. “Octy, that doesn’t even make any sense.”

“Makes perfect sense.”

“It does not! It makes no sense.”

“You two can make friends.”

Vinyl felt her eye twitch and could have sworn she saw the corner of Octavia’s lip curl into a smirk. Before she could comment, Octavia shoved her muzzle in her program.

“Hmm. Show should be starting soon.”

Sure enough, the orchestra took the stage to an applause from the audience, though Vinyl didn’t see why walking onto a stage warranted an ovation. The ponies in the crowd sat back down and listened as the orchestra began to play their instruments. But Vinyl didn’t care. At all. She was too busy wasting her time trying to figure out why Octavia was sitting next to her and not Frederic. It didn’t make much sense.

“Hey Octy,” Vinyl whispered, “That tuba sounds like a frog.”

“Vinyl!” Octavia laughed and swatted Vinyl on the arm.

Vinyl thought she saw Frederic give her a dirty look, so she focused her attention on trying to make sure she didn’t junk punch him. She leaned her head back on the chair and stared up at the ceiling, trying to follow any rhyme or reason from one color of line to the next. As soon as she figured out the pattern of the color blending, she felt her right shoulder get heavier. A lot heavier. Vinyl felt the soft caress of a jet blank mane on her cheek.

“Gettin’ bored?” Vinyl barely whispered through her shock.

“I’m a little *yawn* sleepy for some reason.”

“I can’t imagine why.”

Octavia giggled softly but didn’t move her head off of Vinyl’s shoulder.

“Betcha wish you were sittin’ by Freddy now, eh?” Vinyl braced herself.

“Mmm.” Was all Octavia offered in response.

Vinyl used all of her willpower to try to keep her mind away from Octavia’s true feelings. Maybe, just… just maybe there was something more to Octavia’s actions than Vinyl thought. Maybe she did have a chance. The facts were cold and hard. She was sitting next to Vinyl, not Frederic. She was laying her head on Vinyl’s shoulder… again. In public. She was sleeping in Vinyl’s bed every night.

But she’s in love with Frederic!

Vinyl was not one to be easily swayed by silly things like logic. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, the concert was finally over. Octavia slowly lifted her head and got to her feet as the entire hall burst into applause. Again, Vinyl wasn’t sure why. It was the most boring hour of her life in the last week. The crowd began to clear out, leaving Frederic, Vinyl, and Octavia as some of the last ponies in the hall.

“Octavia, are you coming to Beauty Brass’s apartment for movie night tonight?”

“Uh… probably not tonight. Sorry.”

Frederic looked between Octavia and Vinyl and nodded slowly.

“Alright then. Have a good night, ladies.”

Vinyl turned to Octavia who silently shrugged and walked out of the concert hall. As they walked out into the cool air, light drizzle coated their faces.

“So… why aren’t you going to hang out with them?”

“Oh, you know.”

“You keep saying that.” Vinyl furrowed her brows.

A small smile appeared on Octavia’s face. “I do, don’t I?”

“It’s irritating.”

“Ah. That’s unfortunate. Well then. What shall we do tonight, Vinyl?”

“I…” Vinyl couldn’t understand what was going on, but she knew the easiest way to find out. “Drinks?”

Octavia smiled. “That sounds marvelous.”

------

“So, Octy, whaddya think?”

Vinyl watched Octavia’s unsure face, eager for a reaction.

“I haven’t done this in a long time.”

“Oh, come on now, you like it.”

“Well… that doesn’t mean you’re not an evil temptress for making me do it.” Octavia laughed.

“And you’re a smarmasour, so what?” Vinyl said with a smile.

“A who’s a what?”

“A smarmasour. A pony that smarms. You’re smarmy.”

“You’re the temptress here! What have I done?”

“What haven’t you done?” Vinyl was smug now.

“You are… something else, ma’am.” Octavia stated with a roll of the eyes.

“Perhaps. But I like a good smoke when I drink. Sometimes. I think most of me likes it because Lyra never let me do it. I’d go and DJ, come home smelling like smoke, and she’s throw a fit.”

“Ah, yes. Well, I was a rebellious young filly so…”

Vinyl burst out into an uncontrollable fit of laughter.

“And what, pray tell, is so funny Miss Scratch?”

“You… rebel… sides hurt… ow!”

“I’ll give you something to laugh at, you hooligan!”

Octavia dove across Vinyl’s back porch and tackled the white unicorn, ambushing her with tickles. Before Octavia could get her locked down, though, Vinyl scrambled to her feet and rushed inside the house, leaving the door open just a crack.

“No! No! You don’t get to come in until you promise to be good, smarmasour!”

“Well, I COULD just go home…”

“… And that’s why you’re a smarmasour.”

Vinyl opened the door, playfully glaring at a very smug Octavia who jabbed a hoof in Vinyl’s side. Vinyl jumped and whined, getting only a laugh in response. The two made their way into the living room, Octavia taking her usual place in her favorite big chair. Vinyl scanned her movies for something to do.

“Hey… what if we watched The Pony King? I haven’t seen that one in a really long time.”

“Sounds good to me. As long as there is more booze involved I am down for anything.”

“Aw, you’re not going to sit next to me?” Vinyl said, eyeing the couch.

“That couch is the devil. Besides, this chair is much more comfortable and has a blanket.”

“So… what if I wanted to sit on the chair?”

“Then sit on the chair.”

“But… you’re… OH!” A lightbulb flickered on above Vinyl’s head.

Vinyl tried to look nonchalant as she stumbled over herself, rushing to the chair. Octavia created some room for Vinyl and threw the blanket over their bodies. Vinyl found legitimate discomfort with how cramped her left forehoof was and raised it over her head, holding the back of the chair as she reclined it. The movie began, both mares excited to watch one of their favorite filly-hood movies.

“Hey, uh, Octy?”

“Yes?”

“My arm’s falling asleep and it’s uncomfortable sitting at my side… do you think I could…?”

Both mares blushed as Vinyl stammered out her question. “Oh, yeah, sure Vinyl. Go ahead.”

Vinyl rested her forehoof across Octavia’s shoulders. Neither pony said anything, instead focusing to watch the movie. Halfway through, Vinyl found herself mindlessly playing with the bottom of Octavia’s sweater. She circled her hoof around Octavia’s side, enjoying the softness of the material. Vinyl realized what she was doing and paused for a second. Octavia looked up but quickly refocused her eyes on the singing characters on the screen when she found Vinyl’s red eyes staring over at her.

“Does that tickle?” Vinyl asked, hopeful that she would finally have a counter-attack.

“Uh... no.” Octavia smiled but there was something off about it.

Vinyl wasn’t exactly sure what it was that made her so bold just then, perhaps the alcohol albeit there wasn’t a lot of if consumed, but she mindfully resumed playing with Octavia’s sweater. Only this time, she took care to press into Octavia’s side a little harder. Octavia flashed her eyes towards Vinyl, but said nothing. Vinyl’s heart was racing as she heard a small jagged edge to Octavia’s breathing, which had also quickened ever-so-slightly in pace.

I… is she? Is this? I don’t… Just shut up. If there’s one thing you should have learned over the last month, it’s just go with it.

Vinyl continued to run the edge of her hoof around in circles on Octy’s side. After finishing off the bottle of beer she was working on, Vinyl got more bold. She slowly pushed up the sweater and grazed Octavia’s fur with her hoof. Octavia jumped, her breath quickening just a bit more. Vinyl was tempted to delve deeper, to test her bounds, until the sound of keys outside the front door caused the two to quickly jump apart from each other. It was just as well, though, the movie had ended long ago.

Bon Bon silently strolled into the house and went directly into her room. Vinyl rolled her eyes, knowing that her silent treatment was Lyra’s doing. Casting those thoughts aside, Vinyl cast a timid look back at Octavia, whose face was still a light shade of pink.

“Well… I need a smoke. And another drink.” Vinyl commented.

“Sounds like a plan.”

The two got to the porch and silently lit up. Vinyl watched as the smoke spiraled into the air, chasing itself.

“That was some movie, huh?”

Vinyl jumped and then promptly blushed. “Heh… yeah. Better than I remember it being.”

“Me too…” Octavia’s voice trailed off.

“That didn’t tickle, huh?”

Vinyl almost facehoofed. She really needed to stop saying things before her brain had the proper amount of time to yell at her for even thinking about. Even so, Vinyl noticed the smile play on Octavia’s lips. Considering how… intimate… the two had just been, and how convinced Vinyl was of her inevitable rejection, everything was free and easy. It wasn’t awkward in the slightest. Vinyl appreciated this.

“No. It didn’t tickle.”

“But you liked it.”

Oh my fu… Are you KIDDING ME Vinyl? REALLY?

Octavia chuckled, her face turning a deeper shade of pink for what had to be the fortieth time that night.

“Yeah, I… I guess I did.”

Vinyl and Octavia looked either other in the eyes for a long moment, nothing but smoke swirling gently between them. Vinyl’s face cracked into a smile, with Octavia’s following suit.

“So… do you want to watch another movie?”

“Yes! I mean, yeah. Sure. That’s cool. I don’t care.”

Vinyl smiled, for once not being the nervous one. The two headed inside and threw on Finding Filly and returned to their places in the chair. Again, Vinyl found her forehoof around Octavia’s shoulders. She thought that Octavia was pressing up against her more than she was in the first movie, but Vinyl just shrugged it off. As if it was another sign from the princesses themselves, Bon Bon left the house as quietly as she had come. Vinyl smiled to herself, knowing that the house was all theirs. Mere minutes into the movie, Vinyl picked up where she had left off, tracing light circles around Octavia’s bare fur. Octavia leaned more into her as her forehoof slid down around her back.

Octavia’s breath continued to get heavier and more jagged as Vinyl pressed her hoof deeper into Octavia. She spread out her area more, watching as Octavia reveled in the touch. Vinyl was starting to get nervous. She was quickly coming to terms with the idea that Octavia might have feelings for her after all. Not only that, but there would have to be a kiss in there somewhere. As excited as this prospect made her, it also terrified her. There was something about Octavia that blasted away every ounce of self-confidence that she had, but at the same time, accentuated every good quality she had as well.

Neither pony was watching the movie anymore. Octavia’s eyes were glued shut as Vinyl gently caressed as much of her body as she could. Vinyl refused to look anywhere else but Octavia. Even if the house were to have started on fire, there was no way Vinyl could have broken her focus on Octy. Octavia’s full attention was on Vinyl’s touch. Vinyl had to admit that seeing Octavia so worked up got her a bit riled up as well. It was a weird, surreal feeling. Vinyl got an idea in her head and for once, didn’t second guess herself.

“Hey Octy.” Vinyl whispered.

“Mm?” Octavia grunted.

“Let’s go to bed.”

Wordlessly, but with a nervous smile, Octavia opened her eyes and got up from the chair. Vinyl’s entire body was shaking out of nerves and excitement. The two silently made their way to Vinyl’s room, laying down in bed. Vinyl wrapped her forehooves around Octavia and pulled her close. She could feel Octavia’s still jagged breath on her chest as she ran a hoof down her side. Vinyl could feel the heat emanating from Octavia’s body. It was now or never. Still completely shaken with nerves, despite the amount of work she was doing with her hooves, Vinyl nuzzled Octavia and finally, albeit briefly, felt their lips graze each other for the first time. Vinyl felt fireworks go off in her chest. Unsatisfied, and growing steadily greedier, Vinyl moved in for another, deeper kiss. She could almost feel the room light up from the passion flowing between the two. Vinyl had had a lot of first kisses in her day, but none were at such an unorthodox time. None of them made Vinyl see stars the way Octy’s did. None of them meant as much to Vinyl as that one did. And surely, no other kiss could have, so perfectly, segued into the rest of their heated night.