• Published 31st Dec 2020
  • 4,497 Views, 967 Comments

They're EVERYWHERE! - Nameless Narrator



No one really knows how many changelings were present during the invasion of Canterlot. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, it also means that the love explosion scattered them all over the surface of Equus. These are stories of some of them.

  • ...
7
 967
 4,497

PreviousChapters Next
65536: 14

Nightguard barracks is well insulated, both due to location as well as actual soundproofing, so the batponies switching shifts halfway through the night could get enough rest before the Summer Sun Celebration. By evening, Sharp Biscuit is standing by the door while Steel Glimmer is at attention by the back wall, mostly invisible aside from her silvery tattoos. Pink Sunset is sleeping, hanging by the fetlocks of his hind legs in the rafters and Gloom is in her bed.

A bed that is suspiciously missing a certain ball of chitin with which she went to sleep.

Her hoof instinctively gropes the empty area around her belly where 65536 is supposed to be. On unsuccessful attempt number three to touch the changeling, Gloom’s sleepy brain catches onto the inconsistency, she finally opens her eyes, and checks the alarm clock on her bedside table.

Fifteen minutes before she’d have to wake up. Excellent.

“Buggo?” the reality of the missing changeling catches up with her and she sits upright. She whispers louder, “65536?!”

“Evening, Gloom,” Steel Glimmer greets her, “It-”

“65536, I know you were scared about going out but you didn’t run off, did you?” Gloom openly calls out with growing worry in her voice, completely ignoring her colleague.

“NU UUH!” comes from the showers in the back despite no noise of running water.

“Are you showering?” asks Gloom.

“Already all done! I didn’t want to wake you up!”

Before Gloom can call anything out again, Pink Sunset groans, opening his eyes:

“You sure did a better job than Gloom...” with a flap of his wings, he drops from the rafters on the floor.

“Blame me for being worried after our little buggo got chewed up by a weed thrasher!” Gloom frowns at him.

“Two Nightguards on duty in this room, Gloom,” Steel Glimmer peeks into the showers as she passes by, “Don’t you think we would have noticed an intruder?”

Before Gloom can reply, 65536 walks out of the showers, making her swallow her tongue as her eyes bulge.

65536’s cardboard Nightguard armor is colored to perfection, barely distinguishable from actual armor including the presumed lighter shades where it would reflect light if it was real metal. What’s new, though, is that 65536’s leg holes are filled with black paper mache, and that there’s a short mane made of dark blue and white streamers poking from under its helmet.

“Look, I even made a mane like Luna’s!”

“Hnnnnngghhh!”

“Oooh? We making funny noises? RAWRGL-HISS!”

While Gloom happily foams at the mouth with the widest smile possible for a pony, Steel Glimmer takes a deep breath while clutching her chest.

“This is almost making me want foals somewhere down the line...” she breathes out.

Gloom recovers as 65536 reaches her bed and she sweeps it from the floor into a hug.

“I used to foalsit for a friend a few years ago and I can assure you that you’re waaay better off adopting one of these if they’re at least half as behaved as 65536.”

“There’s over ten of them in the dungeons including several drones. You can take your pick,” comments Sharp.

Steel Glimmer pauses before looking at 65536.

“Would you like to have another changeling around?” she asks with surprising hesitation.

“THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!” 65536 wiggles excitedly in Gloom’s hug, “But not a high rank, those are really mean most of the time. Not 387 or 516 or 443, though, I’ve never heard of those three kicking anyone without a good reason and they even told us weird stories about the outside from time to time. Can you magic up 72216? It could juggle with sticks it found and it made all of us laugh when one fell through its cup holders. We used to dig tunnel [incoherent buzzing and clicking] together but it got its hind leg crushed in a cave-in and when I dragged it off to 668 to help she told me to eat it because it was beyond saving which was nonsense because it still had three working legs and she ordered me to snap its neck and laughed when I was too weak to-”

Gloom slowly but irresistibly stops 65536’s recount by pressing its muzzle against her chest fluff to stop it from talking.

After a few moments of awkward silence that follows, Gloom quietly says:

“I’m afraid that’s a bit beyond us but I’m sure 722-uhh-16 is in a better place now where there’s nothing trying to hurt it anymore.”

“Really?” 65536 breaks its head free, “Wooo! Go, 72216, juggle as much as you can!”

“You sure you still want one?” Sharp leans over to Glimmer.

“I might, but I guess I’ll stick with what I’ve got for now,” she sighs, “So, what now, Commander? Operation cheer-up or do we go straight to investigating what happened yesterday?”

“Let’s enjoy a quick morale boost before diving into all that,” replies Sharp.

***

If upper Canterlot was brimming with life throughout the day so that street vendors and businesses could finish off their preparations, it had nothing on the crazy mobs of ponies filling the streets in the evening. Even the ponies from lower Canterlot who normally never visit the hanging city are here with their foals which, fortunately, is giving 65536 riding on Gloom’s back more than enough cover for the wave of excited:

“What’s that?!”

“A lantern show by the Chineighese. They usually rent several streets up here early. Just wait for the dragon.”

“I WANNA SEE- wait, those eat ponies, don’t they?”

“All in favor of taking Private Buzz to see the dragon?”

“Sure, why not?” Sharp Biscuit shrugs, more interested in watching the ponies around the group of Nightguards for any potential reactions to disguised 65536. So far, nothing has happened despite the drone standing on the tips of its hooves and turning its head like an overly enthusiastic periscope sticking out of the water.

“What’s that?!”

“That’s a griffon. Don’t point, it’s impolite.”

“What’s that?!”

“That’s a petting zoo. It’s filled with critters that don’t bite you and you can feed and pet them.”

“What’s that big, horny thingy?”

“That’s a minotaur.”

“What’s- AAAAH?!” 65536 immediately drops, swings around Gloom’s barrel, and remains hanging under her belly after seeing a burst of flames accompanied by heavy drumming burst out from behind a street corner in the distance.

“Thaaaat’s the dragon. Get up here or you’ll miss it,” Gloom cranes her neck under her belly to face the spooked two teal pools of 65536’s eyes.

“I dunno if I want to...”

“Nightguards can’t be scaredy cats, buddy.”

“Drones that don’t get scared easily get munched easily,” objects 65536.

“Private Buzz, you’re a Nightguard. Remember that!” Steel Glimmer leans down, simply reaches under Gloom, and spins 65536 around her barrel so that the drone’s on her back again.

“...not scared of burny roarers, not scared of burny roarers, not scared of burny-” 65536, trying to looks as small as possible behind Gloom’s neck, carefully peeks out just as the chineighese long paper dragon is passing by, accompanied by drumming ponies.

*WHOOOSH!*

“EEP!” 65536 hides again when the heat of yet another burst of flames from the dragon’s mouth licks its carapace.

Then the dragon’s head passes them and the rest of the long body begins rolling through the street.

“Hey, it has so many legs!” 65536 swings around Gloom’s barrel again, this time to examine the dragon centipede phenomenon. It swings back around and up, “How come?”

“It’s just a representation, not a real dragon,” Steel Glimmer explains, “I’ve been to Chineigha multiple times and these snake-like dragons are traditional there, especially during their New Year celebrations. Only the head is enchanted while the body is made of a bunch of ponies holding it up.”

“Conventions?” Sharp Biscuit winks at Glimmer.

“You have no idea how much they pay for a photo with a batpony in a chainmail bikini...” she smirks at Sharp, “Why do you think I’m the only Nightguard who never asked for a raise?”

“Hmmm, got a place for plus one for the next con?” asks Gloom, “I could use a few extra bits.”

“Sure, MILF’s a pretty popular category there.”

“I’M NOT THAT OLD!”

“I know my audience and you’re over thirty. Together, we’d pull crowds for the goo wrestling events. If we picked the right outfits we’d never have to work again.”

“What’s a milf?” 65536 interrupts them.

“Uhhh, mare I would like to-” Glimmer says automatically.

“-be FRIENDS with,” previously quiet Night Hunter jumps in, “That’s what the F stands for and NOTHING ELSE.”

“Yay for friendship!” 65536 throws its forelegs into the air.

“Indeed,” says Sharp, forcing a stone face, “As your CO, I’m changing the subject immediately. How about we check the food stalls?”

Gloom shakes her head.

“Let’s check the attractions up here and later fly down into lower Canterlot for food. The stuff the nobles eat up here is pathetic in comparison. Besides,” she reaches up to nudge 65536 who has returned to looking around in a way that would make a lighthouse jealous, “Can you even eat pony food?”

“I can taste it!” 65536 nods, “I’m not sure what happens after that but Luna gave me something called a cookie and it was delicious and I didn’t feel sick at all.”

“Sounds good to me,” Gloom shrugs, “Let’s go check out the petting zoo.”

***

None of the Nightguards were expecting this.

As easily as 65536 grew to accept them, they could have never expected the drone to start quietly hissing and creeping around when in presence of what they would consider to be completely harmless animals. Thankfully, the zoo owner is currently too busy with unattended foals to pay any attention to one in the presence of four Nightguards in official armors.

“What’s wrong?” asks Gloom, standing behind 65536 hesitant to move into the first enclosure.

“Those… creatures aren’t smart, right?” it shuffles backwards as a large golden retriever sticks its nose between the wooden planks of the fence to sniff the changeling.

“They’re not dangerous, see?” Sharp walks into the enclosure and starts petting the various animals that shuffle towards him.

“Maybe not to you...” 65536 mumbles, “Everything other than us or you ponies always tried to eat me.”

“Private Buzz, if anything even touches you wrong I’ll rain Tartarus fire on them and it still won’t be anything compared to what Luna will do if she finds out,” says Gloom, “Now get in there and hug some fluff!”

“Cardboard armor, don’t fail me now...” 65536 mutters to itself, gathering courage, and walks inside the large enclosure filled with animals.

*Thud!*

“AAAH HALP!” 65536 immediately finds itself under the curious retriever sniffing it before-

*Mlem!*

“Aaaaaaah, it’s eating me!”

*Mlem mlem mlem!*

“Aaaaaah! Dying tickles!”

*Mlem mlem!*

“Aaa- huh?” 65536 realizes that the expected pain and darkness don’t seem to be coming. No teeth either. Confused 65536 carefully pushes the dog away and stands back up on all fours to face it.

It boops the dog’s nose. The dog licks its hoof. No biting ensues.

“Pet its head,” says Sharp simply, currently busy with a kitten trying to climb on his back.

65536 rubs the dog’s head.

*Woof!*

“IMADEITANGRY!” 65536 jumps away. Of course, the dog takes it as a sign its new friend wants to play and starts chasing the drone. Now, a stubby, fairly slow drone compared to a dog is a done deal, and 65536 finds itself on the floor again, its ears being mercilessly licked.

At this point, 65536’s brain finally concludes that possibly not all animals are after its chewy and juicy interior.

It licks the dog’s nose.

“The turn tables!” it beams before being lightly headbutted.

“That’s not how the saying goes,” says Sharp.

“You know I don’t word good in stress!”

“Chewy! Stop bothering the little guard and come over here. This filly wants to pet you!” as the zoo manager calls out, the dog’s ears perk up and it rushes off, tail wagging.

It had so many teeth. It was as big as the drone. It could easily just snap its neck and… and...

But 65536 is still alive and it can think clearly now that the imminent threat is gone.

The monster liked me...

“Are you okay?” asks Gloom, who approached it without it noticing, “Do you want to leave?”

65536 looks around. There are a bunch of foals around, touching and petting various seemingly peaceful creatures, and no one is getting bitten.

“Are all those… really not dangerous?” it asks with hesitation, “They have claws and teeth and some are really big.”

“If you don’t threaten them, none of the animals here will do anything to you. See?” Gloom points to the retriever, whose tail is currently getting chewed up by a small foal, simply pushing the foal away with a paw, “They’re used to ponies.”

“Hay, that dog has more patience with foals than I do,” chuckles Steel Glimmer.

“Ooookay...” 65536 approaches a new monster.

A tiny one.

Fluffy, tiny one with big ears.

It’s a bunny. 65536 is warily approaching a bunny.

The ball of fur is significantly calmer than the drone capable of kicking through a steel door as well as a nightmarish dreamscape monster.

The bunny starts nibbling on 65536’s paper streamer mane.

“Hey, that’s mine!” the drone picks it up, “They said no eating! You were supposed to be nice!”

The bunny spits the tiny piece of paper out.

“Much better,” 65536 nods, “Now I’m gonna hug you and there won’t be any nibbling, okay?”

The bunny stares.

65536 puts the bunny against its neck, feeling the critter twitching and its warmth seeping through the drone’s carapace.

A completely different kind of love begins trickling into it. It’s not complicated like Luna’s or the Nightguards’, it’s not… controlled like from Princess Sunbutt, and it’s definitely not like the weak, processed stuff back in the hive. It’s a miniscule amount but it’s raw and it simply says - you’re nice, I’ll be nice.

Similar to the dog’s, actually.

It finally hits 65536 that everything that its Nightguards friends were saying was right, it was just too afraid because of memories from home. Welp, no time like the present to examine more critters which might not be deadly.

The bunny hops down from 65536, returning to its small box.

“Gotcha,” the drone nods, “Now… who’s getting hugged after the hoppy thumper?”

Not even a minute later, Gloom is simply staring at the black, armored blur darting from creature to creature.

“You’re a golden wagger!”

*Woof!*

“That’s a dog,” says Gloom, mostly to herself, really.

“Huggy noodle!”

*Hiss!*

“Snake.”

“Scratchy meower!”

“That’s a kitten.”

“Horny biggun!”

“I beg your pardon?” the assaulted unicorn looks around in shock.

“That’s the zoo owner,” Gloom facehoofs.

“Superfluffer!”

*Baa!*

“Sheep,” Sharp joins in.

“Sharpmouth clawer!”

“I. Am not. An exhibit!”

“Griffon tourist...”

“Tiny poner!”

“Hi, wanna play?”

“Thaaat’s somepony’s foal.”

“Blub blub!”

“That’s a goldfish, and put it back before it chokes!” Gloom raises her voice.

“You’re huuuuuge...” 65536’s eyes go wide when it stops in front of the biggest creature it had ever seen.

“Aaaand that’s the security,” Gloom sighs, “Private Buzz, we’re leaving.”

The present minotaur grabs 65536 by its belly and carries it over to the Nightguard group.

“Thanks,” Gloom gives him an apologetic smile and shoves 65536 onto her back.

“Hrmph...” the minotaur only frowns.

“Byyyye, twin-leg grabber!” 65536 waves at him as the group leaves the establishment.

***

“So… you’re saying that there are chompy burrowers inside those… and that I can smack them… and not get bitten?” 65536 looks from Gloom to a strange box with many holes in its top.

She sighs, looking up at the “Whack-a-mole” sign before simply nodding and telling the rather confused attraction owner:

“Three tickets, please.”

“Sure thing, Miss guard,” the unicorn smiles, presenting 3 circular metal tokens, “Put it into the slot in the side let’s see how your foal fares.”

Gloom does so.

*Beep.*

“Get ready, Buzz.”

*Beep!*

Breathe in, breathe out. Get ready to smack. Remember what they did to 55499… and 55600… and 56998… and 98966… and so many others!

*BEEP!*

Seconds pass.

“TASTE FOAM HAMMER, MONSTERBADDIE! WHO’S GOT A BIG STICK NOW, HUH?! HUUUH?!”

Somewhat terrifying seconds.

“EAT THAT, GUMBLEMUNCHER!”

Gloom only stands there, paralyzed.

Can’t decide if this is excitement or PTSD.

“22449 CAN FINALLY REST, YOU CUPHOLDER-LESS BLOB! WE ONLY FOUND AN EAR AND A FEW TEETH!”

She watches as the pitch of 65536’s voice rises.

No… definitely not excitement...

“THAT’LL TEACH YOU TO MAKE A CAVE-IN THAT CRUSHED FIVE OTHERS!”

Finally, it turns into venomous hissing.

“YOU’LL NEVER MUNCH ANYONE ANYMORE, WORM THING!”

*Ding ding ding!*

Fangs bared, thankfully covered by the paper streamer mane, 65536 is gasping for air, clutching the foam hammer, tears of pure fury streaming from its eyes as, for the first time in its months-long life, it’s not defenseless against the horrors creeping around it every moment of every day.

“That's a hundred percent, perfect score!” the owner says in a slightly detached, disbelieving tone, “You- you win a- a-”

“I think we’ll just go right this instant,” Gloom scoops frozen 65536 onto her back after prying the foam bat out of its forelegs.

Outside, 65536 suddenly snaps upright on Gloom’s back and starts looking around.

“Huh? What happened? Where are the monsters?”

“It was just an attraction, buddy,” says Gloom in as comforting a tone as she can muster while having to yell over the crowds, “You got a little bit too… heated.”

“Oh my… I’m sorry,” 65536’s ears droop.

“Don’t worry about it. How about we try an attraction with a little less risk of excitement?”

“Sure!”

“Hey, Buzz!” behind them, beaming Steel Glimmer nudges Night Hunter walking next to her with a small plush toy of princess Luna, “You won this.”

“Really?!” 65536’s eyes go saucer-wide, “It’s Blue!”

“I thought the first prize was that life-sized Celestia with memory foam plot,” Gloom raises an eyebrow.

“Yeees,” Glimmer nods hesitantly, “but I thought it would be a great idea to not ruin the day of a pony who could potentially draw attention to our little buddy here.”

“Point taken.”

“Besides,” Night Hunter grabs the small plush and puts it on 65536’s back, “You already have a Celestia plush that’s hard to carry around.”

“I must show Blue to Luna as soon as she gets back!” 65536 crushes the plush against its chest.

***

Attraction number three was supposed to be simple - the maze of enchanted mirrors. The plan was to go in, laugh at some wibbly reflections, and leave. Unfortunately, stars must have aligned in some horrifying symbol of ancient evil and the one pony Gloom could complain to was gone in the dreamscape.

There’s one good thing about the current situation, which is that there seems to be a sound-dampening enchantment all over the mirror maze.

“Hi, 66598!”

“Hi, 32221!”

“Hi, uhh, what number are you?”

“Hi, 44544!”

“Hi, 99987!”

“Hi, 14226!”

“Hi, 47111!”

“Where does it get the energy to keep running around like that?” Sharp keeps observing the drone bolting from mirror to mirror, instantly switching from excitement at meeting a familiar and, at this point Sharp is sure also probably dead, changeling to disappointment at realizing it’s just a warped reflection of itself.

“Hi, 77166!”

“...make it stooooop...” moans Night Hunter, holding onto Blue once again due to 65536 repeatedly dropping it out of sheer acceleration.

“You’re not ruining its fun, not after the whole whack-a-mole fiasco!” Gloom hisses at him.

“Hi, 23998!”

“Hey, Buzz,” Sharp calls out to the drone who stops in its tracks, giving him a happy, listening look, “How do you know which number is which?”

“Ohhh!” 65536 hops up and down, fake mane flailing in the air, before rushing back to Sharp and pointing at the nearest mirror showing fat 65536 sticking its tongue out at its real counterpart, “That’s 46422,” it leans closer, “umm, or 39712?” it pokes the mirror, “Goop!” it curses and chuckles to itself.

“Heeey, you have the same problem distinguishing you guys from each other that we do,” Sharp boops the drone.

“Ummm, well,” 65536 scratches its head, “I’m missing bits and pieces here, it’s tough to explain but, yeah, there’s so much more than just how we look. The mirrors are funny, though. Blblblblbl!” it sticks its tongue at a fat 65536, “Hee hee hee, I wanna see more!”

The drone runs off into the maze, leaving the Nightguards on their own.

“Should we follow it?” asks Night Hunter, “I admit I’m having trouble keeping track of where we are myself.”

“You must have missed it, Hunter, but Buzz ran off a few times already and always came back without a problem.”

“Huh...” the batpony ponders the comment, “Underground species?”

“I assume so,” Sharp nods, “I’m pretty sure it can get around with much more ease than the four of us combined.”

Thankfully, the tops of the mirror frames occasionally have small arrows carved in them just in case the guests get lost and the Nightguards eventually find 65536 near the exit.

“Ready to leave, Buzz?” asks Gloom.

“Yup,” says the drone with a hint of something strange in its voice. Something that Gloom can’t identify until they exit the building and 65536 gives the door a final look and she hears it mumble quietly:

“I hope you all get at least half as lucky as I did, wherever you are now.”

***

“There’s a thing!” 65536, sitting on Gloom’s back again, points across the mountainside plaza to something the batponies can’t see through the crowds everywhere. Soon, though, they start hearing an amplified voice say:

“-and in the caves of raw crystals, Daring Do, her wings still tied by the treacherous doctor Caballeron, grabbed the levitating one and let it carry her over the snapping jaws of the Python leeches-”

“Hey! Them’s toothy wrigglers! I know those!” 65536 excitedly rises on its hind legs and steps on the top of her head with its front ones.

The cardboard horseshoes make it bearable for Gloom.

“Ohhh, a puppet play,” she pushes through the last few adults, something with which her official armor helps a ton, and her field of view clears up as the only ponies remaining in front of her are several dozen foals in a half-circle around the unicorn making the enchanted puppets move around as holographic projections of various dingy catacombs or lush jungles change depending on the story.

It’s one of the classic Daring Do archetypes - an ancient artefact is somewhere, baddies want to use it, Daring Do must steal- save it, and there’s a bunch of swinging on anything hanging from anything else. Gloom isn’t particularly impressed but 65536’s excited hopping in tune with the pegasus doll, dodging beams of light from the traps occasionally shooting into the audience, and gasping at completely predictable plot twists is what makes her day… or night.

“-and Daring Do, after all the trials, finally held the idol of the spider god Amashtummu in her hooves. However, with a deafening thud, Caballeron and his stooges finally broke through the secret wall, blocking the only exit from the temple’s inner sanctum.”

“Give us the idol, Daring Do!” growls Caballeron doll through a scimitar held in his teeth, “And I might make this quick.”

The Daring Do doll looks around in panic, muttering:

“What did the scroll say? Akshim- no. Askshim, varoosh, gamaboru-”

“Finally, the southern jungles will be ours!”

“NEVER!” yells Daring Do, “agum bash dmaer!”

The eyes of the small idol open, burning with green flames.

The unicorn puppet master waves his hoof, throwing a cloud of dark dust.

*Poof!*

“AAAAAAAAAAH!” the screaming of the foals fills this part of the plaza as tiny crystal spiders burst out of the cloud, jumping and crawling around over the audience.

“THE HOOVES! THEY DO NOTHING! WHY DO I GOTS CUPHOLDERS?!” 65536 has its forelegs clamped over its eyes, but at some point of its panicked flailing, the paper mache hole fillings must have fallen out.

The wave of spiders vanishes with another ‘poof’, replaced by laughing of foals as the only few remaining are on the stage, carrying the dolls of Caballeron and his gang away while Daring Do holds the spider idol in victory.

“Not so fast,” she calls out to the last spider, “I could use a ride too.”

“And so,” the unicorn puppet master raises his voice, “Victorious Daring Do escaped the temple of Amashtummu with the idol which now rests in the safe vaults of the Manehattan Museum of Natural History and Magic where no evil can touch it anymore.”

Cheers rise from the audience and the hopping on Gloom’s back returns.

“WOOOOO! THAT WAS AWESOME!” 65536 yells from the top of its lungs.

Gradually, the crowd disperses as the foals swap with adults who pay for the hour of entertainment, leaving behind the unicorn fixing his dolls and resting to replenish his magic before the next performance.

As the Nightguards group up again, Gloom realizes that 65536 is lying on her back instead of its usual excited sitting and fidgeting.

“Everything okay, Private Buzz?” she asks.

“Yup, I got scared but in a good way. I had no idea that was a thing!” 65536 beams, “But there’s so many things everywhere, I dunno what to do!”

Gloom’s stomach rumbles. Three hours of attractions without food and drink, and only after water and crackers for ‘breakfast’ due to castle staff being busy with the celebration, could take a toll on a pony.

“How about we fly to lower Canterlot and check out the food?” she offers.

“Agreed,” Night Hunter nods.

“I could go for some sweets,” nods Pink Sunset who had been mostly quiet, taking in the sights of the festival and keeping an eye on any danger.

“I wonder if there are griffon mountainside vendors. I could use some jerky,” agrees Steel Glimmer.

“Then it’s settled,” Sharp nods, “Squad, time to recharge!”

Author's Note:

Oookay, this one was supposed to be a much shorter so I'm splitting it into two parts. I hope I'm not just making something uninteresting even more bloated.

PreviousChapters Next