• Published 15th Feb 2021
  • 225 Views, 3 Comments

Palimpsest - themoontonite



Collected works of a tiny horse author.

  • ...
1
 3
 225

Forwards Beckon Rebound [Romance] [Slice of Life]

Author's Note:

Celestia has lived and loved longer than most extant creatures on her planet. Most, that is. There are some old flames still simmering from a distant past, long-lost loves from a thousand lifetimes ago. Rain Shine, leader of the Kirins, is one such lover.

“Oh.”

Oh was all Celestia could think to say. Oh was the only thought left in Celestia’s head, really. There was something about seeing a six hundred year old flame that robbed one of coherency. Rain Silent was more than just a flame, really. She was… she was a rock, for at least a century. Celestia came to depend on her. Rain Silent came to depend on Celestia. They loved each other.

“Hello.”

It occurred to Celestia that she had never heard Rains’ voice. Just the soft hooftaps and sweeping gestures of Kirin sign language. She knew that Rain must’ve had one at some point. They discussed the Kirins’ predicament at length when they were younger. Celestia could never convince her to allow her people to regain their voice and Rain never succeeded in imparting the true weight of fear she felt at that very prospect.

“You may come forward. Or, actually, where are my manners? Let me come down to greet you.” Celestia was surprised to find her legs working at all given the jumble of signals that criss-crossed her brain. She would rely on a thousand lifetimes of decorum to carry her until she could collapse in private.

Rain Silent was quiet as Celestia approached. It was impossible to guess what she was thinking. There was a time in Celestia’s life where she could’ve read the mare like an open book but that time had long since passed. Standing in front of her was, for all intents and purposes, a stranger. A very beautiful stranger.

“You look like you haven’t aged a day, Celestia. How have you been?” Rain Silent smiled and Celestia nearly fell apart.

“How have I been? I can tell you, if you have a few days.” A nervous chuckle broke her lips and Celestia felt her confidence wither. “Really, I’ve been great. I see you’re… talking.”

“Yes, I am. We all are thanks to two ponies. Was it you who sent them?” She was close. Too close for Celestia to stomach. Too close and too tall.

“It was not! I believe they were friends of my old student Twilight Sparkle. They were…” Celestia spun a hoof through the air as she averted her gaze. “Called, I believe, by some map or another. I’m glad to see you. Though I am wondering what might have brought you here to me.”

“Well, you see…” Rain hoofed at the red velvet carpet beneath her, eyes clouded in thought and uncertainty. Celestia braced herself for terrible news. “I was wondering if you wanted to go out for dinner.

“Oh.”

Comments ( 1 )
Login or register to comment