• Published 29th Dec 2020
  • 836 Views, 108 Comments

The Trinity of Moons: Mending Shards - Cloud Ring



A story of distant Equestria, of past mistakes, dreams and mirrors.

  • ...
1
 108
 836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24: Distrust

☄☄☄

A jaunt that Solid Line began was just as weird as before, but now Cursory knew what to expect, and the void itself was less hungry. Almost-place rather than non-place.

This time, there was a surface under her hooves at least, and Cursory was not alone. On one side of her, Gentle Touch walked side by side with a strange new pony, as the newcomer’s bouncing jog was giving away. A little farther from their trio there was Solid Line. This was the formation in which they entered the void, though now they were different in number.

In the void, like the last time, there was no light or sound, so she did not see Gentle. But the warmth of Gentle's body was there for sure, just as it was back then, at the far Descent of the Blue Moon, in the wild lands.

There was no way to say anything about the cat with neither sight nor hearing — if she even was there at all. But before the jaunt she was on Solid Line's back, as usual.

Pink's high bounces were resonating through the floor every time she landed — and did not coincide with Gentle's cautious steps. Cursory did not think too deeply about this, just noted that the double had lied, and Gentle was the same as before, or at least close to it. The first was expected, the second was crystal joy.

The voice that asked their appointment this time addressed the entire team, and Cursory replied for everypony, We're coming home.

That was enough; and even the vanishing of words was softer, soft as a spiderweb strand in a forest, or the Forest.

When the world got its light back, and they came to the door behind which the outside world was waiting — again three ponies and four souls as they were — the unicorn took a few more steps forward and turned around to face them, blocking the door with her body.

“We need to talk,” Solid Line said.

∿∿∿

The ponies looked at her. Cursory Streak took three steps forward and one aside, stopping between Solid and the pink one.

"What'd you want?" Cursory asked. "Why now of all times? As we walked you weren't showing any issues. Not so vocal, I'd say."

There was a smile along with the words but Solid Line didn't get its meaning.

"I had my jaunt to care about then. We, as a team, should not be going into Metropolis proper. It's unreasonable," Solid replied. "The art of the Red is with us. Even a passing sensor sweep would find it in my time; I assume it’s even easier with modern tools, as the Red is still an enemy. So only the tower and its immediate surroundings, for now, until we get our distrust sorted out."

Gentle Touch replied through Pink's mouth, "But aren't we on a mission for the Trinity? It's our choice to use any means necessary, isn't it?"

Unsure, a context hint chimed in, but the number glitched, as well as any clarifications; Solid Line felt a jolt of pain in her temple.

Cursory intervened, not letting her finish, without turning to Pink, "By the way, Pink, how'd you know about the task, huh?"

"Well... Black Moon did not say that it was a secret," Gentle was notably less loud, “And your Moon said it outright that we should seek help from ponies around. And in the dream it was too lonely for us both to keep secrets from each other... especially those that had no clear label, y'know... is it bad?" Pink shook her head, looking at both, but the duo clearly left negotiations to Gentle.

"It's dangerous," Cursory replied, still not turning around. “If you trust the creations of the Red, this is your choice. But I remember that a luster ago, when we didn’t even get the quest, in 12-S, the doubles asked us to retreat and forfeit the quest. Don’t you think it’s strange that the Red’s side have made full turn around on their stance?"

Solid Line, approaching the terminal, paused while Gentle was still figuring out how to answer, "I propose a compromise."

One of the lesser branches of the plan activated, and the memory of past-Solid issued a key; Solid entered the line: 'Understanding_will_not_be_postponed_indefinitely'. The second factor was a mnemogram about an island too deserted under a light too bright. The third was the future consent of Black Moon, but it was not necessary to mention.

"We have six slices ahead and we can set up food and drink for organic bodies together here or in the vicinity. The double will stay here."

"Hey! I'm organic too! I can prove it!" Pink protested; Cursory turned and stared at her.

"How?" asked the pegasus, and the word was stretched. Solid’s background processes found it difficult to define an emotion. That was in fact disturbing; they were becoming less and less helpful.

"Gentle gave me her body! Best gift ever!" Pink exclaimed.

"Well, not exactly a gift…" Gentle Touch tried to correct.

"In a literal way. Other way, she tried too, but I think it's you who should do her," Pink giggled, "Not my cup of tea."

Cursory Streak blinked, “What? Are you provoking me? And, for all the stars above, why are you so interested in our own matters?” She sighed, “On the other hoof, whatever. Just, please, back a step off from… all this. From my feelings and all that, okay? Seriously, it’s as if you’re trying to get under my skin… and with success at that!” the pegasus huffed, clearly annoyed.

Pink smiled, and dropped a “Yes,” drawing a word out too long for its own good.

Solid frantically thought of next words as the conversation was going into unrelated territory. At least Signal was almost silent, only occasionally sharply snorting, informing her that there is no immediate danger.

How does it work? Signal certainly does not light the sigils, and there is no interference in the magic field, and yet...

"As I was saying. You have six slices to tell me exactly what you are hiding. Cursory, you could tell about the past and what happened between you and the Black Moon, and what worries you about her and about me. And you, Pink Drop, I'd like to hear about why you are not Red, not a double, and why letting you out is not going to cause another disaster, such as Lavender Blight, or worse. Also, tell me what you did to Gentle that she agreed to give you her body. Organic creatures generally consider it to be of maximum value," Solid Line finished, uninterrupted.

Cursory smiled, “I wouldn’t think you can speak in sentences this long. What will happen in six slices, and what is this lavender blight? Not a pony, I hope? That'd be an awful name for a pony."

"If I do not cancel my suggestion, the Black Moon will clarify the ambiguous expression about this place. The tower will be hidden at the everside. I will make sure the double stays in the displacement zone. Lavender Blight is... None of you have heard of it? And yes, not a pony."

Both looked at each other and shook their heads.

"It's very strange. Where were you educated to miss this?" that was not spoken aloud, "Let it remain among the three of us. Shortly before my parents' parents got married, Black Moon found a new way to guide future Heralds. She has woven a certain rhythm of shifting frequencies into Her spectrum. I know the formula by which it is written. Those who were ready for It, under this rhythm, walked the way easier. These Heralds were very convenient: they performed the necessary calculations with high speed and precision, they clearly saw the edges of space and were making ways around them with ease.

“But they were turning the others around them in their image, with no ill will, just by touch or being around other ponies, and it wasn't possible to stop the spread of blight without stopping their thinking, or immersing them in a deep sleep outside of space. Many of those who sleep here are lavender. I don’t want anything like this to happen because of Pink. We just don’t know how she works, there were no Heralds of the Red at all,” Solid paused, waiting for a reaction. She saw that they were listening to her.

Both of them kept silent, looked at each other for a bit, then turned back to Solid. She still couldn’t understand anything in their expressions, and the background processes were also silent.

"Not the worst thing I know," Gentle replied. Cursory didn't even answer, just chuckled.

"So, this is no big deal to you?” just in case, Solid tried to make sure.

What is the world like now if they have forgotten Lavender Blight and aren't even impressed upon being told about it?

“Not really, to be honest,” Cursory came closer to her, and looked straight into her eyes. "We know how to work with this. There are proven codes, protocols and processes, and once the danger is recognized it will be classified, contained and resolved. You yourself wrote this system, didn't you say so?"

"So, are you ready to release the Red into the world?" Solid Line asked incredulously.

"The Red, no. But look at this poor little mare for yourself," Cursory pointed at Pink with her wing

The 'poor little mare' jumped up indignantly and shouted, "Hey, I'm happy! You are gloomy and tense and worried here!"

Yes, definitely not Gentle, Solid thought. 88%, background processes agreed. It will be necessary to separate the Red’s double and the one whose body it possesses, and speak with them apart from each other. For that I need a library… inconvenient but acceptable… three charge crystals no less than type A-plus, better A-supreme… easy to moderate... and their honest agreement… that's the hardest.

"Does she really strike you as the Red here? I mean, yes, she is likely a Herald or somesuch. And yes, she is annoying and rubs me the wrong way, but foalishly so. And yes, I’d withhold complete trust for now, but… nothing serious so far, and my companion is still here. Benefit of the doubt, and while I know that she might be sabotaging the task..." Cursory smiled, and added after a short pause, "I will not leave Gentle Touch behind."

“It may be an illusion...” Solid protested, already preparing to reluctantly agree with the course. Cursory Streak was the team leader, if only in spirit — but spirit was what mattered here. Those who were weaved into Cursory Streak's soul were a leader and a persuader from times long gone, and their combined presence was showing.

At least, now Solid Line could guess who they were. And, on top of that, she really did not want to escalate the conflict further. The pegasus's flame of passion was that much more charming when it slowly burned under the surface, not breaking outside; calmness and intense attention, a beauty to behold. Emotions too strong were disturbing and obscure, even for past-Solid.

"Maybe. Let's figure it out! But if it makes it easier for you, we will tell you. Will we tell, Pink? Just don't worry, I am by your side, and I am strong, and everything will be fine," Cursory maintained eye contact while speaking.

Pink quickly nodded, "In all the details and pieces."

Cursory nodded, “I’ll start. I assume that Black Moon requires you to understand what you are dealing with in my case."

☄☄☄

"So, nine and six rounds ago, back when I found the very notion of working at the station utterly disgusting..."

PreviousChapters Next