• Published 27th Dec 2020
  • 1,212 Views, 16 Comments

A Gift of a Phoenix Feather - Nailah



It's Hearth's warming day, and Celestia is visited by an angel.

  • ...
5
 16
 1,212

A Gift Of a Phoenix Feather

The snow covered every inch of the streets of Canterlot. Celestia stood at the window pane, gazing down below through the frosty haze, to see fillies and colts playing and making snow ponies. It reminded her of better days. Celestia reached a hoof up to touch the glass. A slight smile formed on her cheeks. The sight of the little fillies and colts laughter and joy at Winter’s first snow was something to behold.

“Squawk!” Philomena chirped out from behind Celestia, flying over and landing on her shoulder.

Celestia stiffened slightly, surprised to see Philomena so eager, and so playful early in the morning. She reached a hoof up, and stroked down her long and elegant feathers. Having a phoenix as a pet came with a lot of responsibilities, and often mishaps. She felt Philomena leaning into her touch, almost cooing.

“Philomena, do you also enjoy the snow? Often I wonder what it would be like for you. Would you be able to enjoy it as well as I do?”

Philomena arched out her wings, and spread them out fully, as she let out a cry of triumph, before flying to the window ledge, almost pecking at the glass, insisting they go out.

“Oh? Do you want to go out and enjoy the fresh snow together? Are you sure that is what you want?” Celestia asked her gently, with the loving soothing voice of a concerned mother.

Philomena pecked at the top of her rainbow colored mane, over and over again, to get her message through, pointing her wingtip towards the glass of the window. Pointing to the outside where the ponies were playing and building memories together. Philomena continued prodding at Celestia until she gave in to what they both desired.

Time away from the palace, to enjoy the purity of the beauty that was fresh falling snow.

“Alright, we’ll go outside. However, I think we ought to bundle up first. We wouldn’t want to freeze.” Celestia instructed, as she went to fetch her warm fleece socks, as well as her custom made boots, with the emblem of her cutie mark stitched into the fabric. Celestia grabbed a small scarf for her pet, and wrapped it around Philomena, despite her protests.

“Squawk!” said Philomena, flapping her long feathered wings, and glaring up towards her owner.

Celestia chuckled, and burst out in a fit of giggles. “Oh Philomena! It is freezing out there. I cannot let you go out without anything on. I know you are a phoenix, and that you have your own fire, but it is best to play it safe.” explained Celestia.

Philomena shook her head in protest, back and forth, ripping the scarf off and tossing it to the floor, before taking off into the air. She spread her wings out wide, showing off the burning aurora of her essence.

“Squawk! Squawk!” Philomena cried, before landing on Celestia’s mane. She tilted her head to the right, groomed her wing with her beak, and puffed out her chest feathers with pride.

“It seems like I might need some help convincing you,” Celestia whispered, under her breath. But who? Who could she ask to help her get Philomena to listen? She lifted a forehoof to her chin, deep in thought. She felt Philomena nipping into the top of her mane, trying to gain her attention.

Celestia stood there, letting out a long sigh. Her whole body was fighting her, she didn’t even want to think, let alone move. Being the leader of Equestria was tiring work. Demanding work, but some pony - no, some creature - had to be here for all the creatures of Equestria. She looked to the window, where the snow was falling flake after flake. It created a beautiful cascade of little white dots that painted the window with it’s frost.

“Um, excuse me,” spoke a timid voice from behind her.

Celestia turned to see one of the Element bearers. She acknowledged the butter-yellow pegasus’ presence, with a soft chuckle.

“Oh for heaven’s sake, Fluttershy. You don’t need to be so formal with me. We are friends, are we not?” Celestia asked, wondering in the back of her mind what had brought this pony here. Surely, she had her own holiday affairs to attend too, and yet here she was.

“Well, it’s just polite. I mean… you’re a Princess. And I’m just, well. I’m no pony special ,” Fluttershy replied, whimpering, tilting her head to the side, and shuffling her front foreleg against the other.

She looked anxious, Celestia could tell with just a glance. She needed a break.

“Don’t fret now, Fluttershy. I may be a Princess, but above all else, I am also a friend and companion to all the ponies of Equestria. It is my honor to be here with you. Now tell me, what brings you here?” asked Celestia, leaning down so the two were almost close enough to touch muzzles, yet far enough away that she wasn’t going to frighten the poor dear out of her skin.

“Well, actually. I didn’t come here specifically to see you. I was hoping to see Philomena. It’s been so long since I got to see her, and there’s so much I want to learn about phoenixes. I think it will go a long way for helping me with my Sanctuary,” explained Fluttershy, beaming a soft smile up towards Philomena, still perched atop Celestia’s mane.

Celestia sighed, forcing herself to smile. Of course she came here to see my pet. I mean...who wants to spend Hearthwarming with the ruler of a nation?

“Um, hello there Philomena...Do you remember me?” asked Fluttershy, gently. She stepped a bit closer to Celestia, lifting her gaze up to meet Philomena’s. Fluttershy couldn’t help noticing how stiff and rigid Celestia was. Shivering, but covered in the warmth of boots.

“Squawk!” Philomena cried out, as she flapped her wings, and flew over to Fluttershy. She perched on Fluttershy’s barrel, and gave her a gentle nuzzle. The warmth was already spreading throughout the room.

Celestia face hoofed. Of course. Why didn’t think of it sooner! Fluttershy could make any animal listen, even a stubborn bunny. Shaking her head, at how silly she was, Celestia coughed into her forehoof, attempting to gain the attention of the gentle pegasus.

“Fluttershy, if I may I ask a favor of you?” asked Celestia, leaning her head down. She whispered, holding a hoof against her chin as she spoke under her breath, “Philomena refuses to put on a scarf to go out, and I cannot bear to see her freeze.”

“A favor? Of me?” Fluttershy hesitated, her whole body trembling, as she shook nervously, her teeth chatting, she gritted her muzzle to hide her nervousness. She gulped down a breath. “Ask me for a favor? I am not sure how I could help the Princess of Equestria. I’m just...well I’m just Fluttershy.”

Celestia paused and reached her forehoof down to cup Fluttershy’s chin. Celestia’s lips curled upwards into a soft, serene, and loving smile, as she shook her head at the pony before her.

“Fluttershy… Right now, you are exactly the pony I need most. You are one of the Element Bearers, but even more than that, you are my friend. There is no need to feel skittish around me. Please, won’t you help me? I really wish to go out to the streets of Canterlot with Philomena by my side. However she refuses to wear a scarf.”

Philomena fluffed out her feathers, shuffling around on top of Fluttershy’s barrel in a circle, before facing away from Celestia. Her head tilted to the side and let out a piercing trill.

Fluttershy chuckled slightly. “Oh, I see. Well yes, it is quite silly. She’s just worried you know. It’s only natural. In a way it’s like she’s your mother.”

“Squawk!!!!!!” cried Philomena, poofing out her feathers, giving them both a wide eyed stare.

Celestia sighed heavily, a pleading stare looking right into Fluttershy’s eyes.

Fluttershy shivered in place, taking a deep breath as she focused her gaze back towards Celestia.

“Well, maybe a compromise? Philomena,” began Fluttershy, sternly, “I know you don’t want to wear the scarf, but it is important to always stay warm.”

Philomena fluffed out her long feathered wings, and shrieked loudly. Soaring up into the air, she flared her wings with a brilliant flash of flame.

“Squawk!” Philomena cried out, defensively, before once again landing on Fluttershy’s barrel, turning herself so she faced away from Celestia.

“Okay. Fine, you win. You don’t have to wear the scarf. I… know it was silly to even ask this of you. I’m sorry Philomena,” Celesta admitted, sighing. She shook her head. She couldn’t help laughing at how silly it all was.

“Squawk!” Philomena beamed, and flew over to Celestia, giving her a light nuzzle against her muzzle, before perching atop her rainbow spectral flowing mane, contently, like the Queen of the world.

“Looks like you figured it out without me,” Fluttershy remarked softly. She looked up to Philomena and nodded her head in approval at the little display.

Fluttershy turned around, seeing Philomena had already given her a lot of new ideas for her Sanctuary. She flinched, however, when she heard Celestia shout:

“No, wait! Please would you stay… just a little longer?” Celestia asked, her bottom lip quivering, as she stared at Fluttershy. Such grace, a gentleness that she couldn’t put words too. She’s like an angel, showing up here just when I felt lost. I can’t let her walk away...

“Um… Sure. I don’t see why not.” Fluttershy hesitated slightly, ears drooped against the sides of her face. “But… um didn’t you say you wanted to go out and enjoy the snow? I don’t wanna bother you, or keep you from that.”

Celestia lifted one of her front forelegs, and gently cupped Fluttershy’s chin, lifting her gaze towards her, as she spoke.

“You aren’t bothering me at all. You showing up here when you did, was exactly what I needed. And as much as I do enjoy Philomena’s company…” Celestia paused, searching her mind for the right way to phrase this, as to not startle or frighten the timid pegasus further. “I’d really like it if you’d stay…”

Fluttershy halted in her hoofsteps. Her ears perked up, hearing the slightest shiver of loneliness. Fluttershy tilted her head back to Celestia, giving a soft, light-hearted chuckle, lifting her forehoof to her muzzle.

“Of course, I’ll stay. I certainly don’t mind spending more time with both you and Philomena,” Fluttershy meekly stated with a gentle smile upon her lips. Fluttershy felt the rosyness of her cheeks burning brightly in the presence of the light of the Princess.

“Um… would you like to go outside now? I mean it must be awfully stuffy in here,” Fluttershy suggested. She made a slight gesture with her head, tilting it to the side, and waited for Celestia.

Celestia paused.

“Of course, I’d like that very much, Fluttershy,” Celestia cooed, as she slowly trotted over to Fluttershy’s side, and gently nuzzled against her cheek. Nuzzling her, and letting warmth spread from one pony to the other.

The cold harsh winter didn't seem as chilling with the pleasant company of another pony. Especially an angel like Fluttershy.

Fluttershy shivered slightly, before feeling the warmth of the sun against her fur. She waited for Celestia, and the two of them - no, three. After all, Philomena was there with them - the three of them headed out to the streets of Canterlot.

The way it flew from the sky to the ground was majestic in its simplicity, and purity. Celestia felt a snowflake fall right onto her nose. She giggled, and tried to lick the fresh fallen snowflake with her tongue.

Fluttershy stood there, looking up at Celestia, seeing the joy spreading across her face. The Princess had been so tense before, but now it was like the very essence of the cold had warmed her from the inside. Fluttershy smiled gently, and let out a quiet yay.

“Fluttershy, thank you,” Celestia spoke up, as she let out a soft sigh. Her shoulders slumped, and she felt a shiver running from the tip of her rainbow colored mane, all the way to her tail. A stillness enveloped her. Truly, this little pony had given her so much by just being there in her time of need, and yet thought she had done nothing. Purity.

No… She is an angel.

Celestia noticed the fillies and colts playing in the snow in front of her. They saw her standing there, immediately skid to a halt, and bowed.

“Princess Celestia!” the little ponies eeeped, as they stared at her with a bewildered gaze, baffled by her very presence.

“Hello, my little ponies. Are you all enjoying the snow?” Celestia asked as she leaned down to nuzzle each and every one of the ponies that approached her. Celestia carried herself with such weight, and yet it was clear to see the strain she carried. The burden that came with being who she was.

“Yeah! It’s so pretty.” A unicorn filly replied. Her coat was a pure golden yellow, like the sun. She gasped in awe at Celestia with wide pink eyes.

“I’m glad you are enjoying it. What about the rest of you?” Celestia asked the others, but they seemed a bit too shy to say anything at all, and were already scurrying away to continue playing in the snow.

Celestia sighed heavily.

Then, she suddenly felt a hoof against one of her forelegs. Celestia glanced down at Fluttershy, waiting for her to speak up.

“Celestia…” Fluttershy began hesitantly.

“Yes, Fluttershy? Do not be afraid. You can talk to me about anything. I assure you, I will listen and be here. I am always here for my ponies. The ponies of Equestria. They are all special to me.”

Fluttershy’s lips trembled as she bit her tongue. She took a moment, just a second, to think before responding to the Princess.

“Celestia…” Fluttershy began, “Has any pony… ever listened to you?”

“Well, of course they have,” Celestia forced a chuckle. A shiver ran down her spine. “Is it that obvious?”

“Kinda… yeah. I was thinking, since I wanted to study more about Philomena and her habitats anyways, maybe we could spend Hearth’s Warming together?” Fluttershy paused, a slight shiver running down her own spine, and took a deep gulp of a breath. “Just… if you want. I know you’re probably very busy.”

Celestia felt the warmth flowing through her. Such kindness. Such gentleness. A pure angel before her, asking her if she wanted to spend time with Fluttershy for the holidays.

Celestia fidgeted slightly, as she nodded, and nuzzled her snout against the little pegasus’.

“I couldn’t think of a better pony to spend Hearth’s Warming with. And I must say, Fluttershy, I am honored you’d choose to take time out of your day to spread the light of Harmony.”

Fluttershy blushed deeply, her cheeks reddening as Celestia nuzzled her. She took gasps of breaths, trying to calm her inner nerves. However, Fluttershy felt a warmth flowing all throughout her.

The two nuzzled against each other, just content to enjoy their shared warmth. The snow continued to fall, but the chill didn’t matter to them. They felt something deeper. A genuine feeling that could only be the presence of another.

Celestia pulled away first, gently looking ahead to the streets of Canterlot, and towards the train station. She could simply teleport them, and the thought did cross her mind, but why ruin a chance to have more time with Fluttershy. Truly, this pony who thought she was nothing special, was the brightest light on the darkest of nights. Celestia tried to hide the flush forming on her cheeks.

Fluttershy began walking ahead of Celestia, gesturing towards the train station.

Fluttershy trotted along, occasionally glancing back to ensure that Celestia was still behind her. She felt a tremor pass all throughout her body. If she thought pleasing Discord was hard, she could only imagine how difficult a Princess of Equestria could be. Right now, though, she didn’t see Celestia as a Princess, but as a friend.

When they finally arrived at the train station, ponies were scurrying about, hopping off the train to greet family and loved ones with warm hugs, and light kisses. Celestia smiled, seeing the joy of the ponies before her, and feeling it in her heart. “I had thought I’d grown cold, but I see now the warmth the snow can still bring. The joy they all feel. And if not for you, Fluttershy, I never would have realized it. Thank you for all you do. I don’t know if anyone told you, but you are an angel.”

Fluttershy blushed furiously and tried to hide her expression under her mane.

Celestia leaned in, nose to nose with Fluttershy, the two booping snouts. She giggled at Fluttershy’s timid nature before tilting her head to the side, and giving her a gentle, yet loving kiss, and spreading the warmth of the kindness she had received, showing Fluttershy the joy of her heart. The warmth and love all around. For once, Celestia didn’t feel alone, but felt butterflies in her stomach. She realized what this meant, how ponies might view her if she sought companionship from another in such a chaste manner. But, here in this moment she didn’t care. She was selfish, and kissed the angel before her.

When she finally pulled away, Fluttershy stood there unable to move, or utter a word, but Celestia saw the deep reddening of her cheeks. She saw how her fur shivered.

“Are you cold, Fluttershy? Shall we board the train?” Just two questions, to lighten the air around them.

“Cold? Oh no… Actually I’m quite warm. Just um… I never thought I’d be kissed by a Princess,” Fluttershy meekly replied, trying her best to not look away. Her foreleg shifted awkwardly against her other one, as she searched for the right words. “Do you...want to try?”

“Try?” Celestia asked. “Try what, Fluttershy? ”

“Do you want to… be my special somepony?” Fluttershy managed to say, after stumbling, and stuttering. Trying to hide, and back away in shame.

“Oh… of course, Fluttershy. That is, if you’d have me,” Celestia cooed, nuzzling against the pegasus lovingly, showing her it was okay to be nervous. She knew that not every pony could be as calm as her. It took centuries of practice, and learning that sometimes you had to force smiles for the sake of others. Right now, she wasn’t forcing anything. She felt joy.

“Fluttershy look up.” Celestia insisted with a light chuckle, as they waited for the others on the train to depart. Above their heads on a wooden beam holding the roof of the station upright was a mistletoe. They were quite common around the holidays, and their meaning was well known to her, but she wondered if this angel would kiss her.

Fluttershy tilted her head upwards towards what Celestia had pointed out. When she saw the leaves and small berries of the mistletoe, her cheeks darkened a deep cherry red, slowly and nervously looking up at Celestia.

“I mean… I wouldn’t mind. But um… Do you want to kiss me?” Fluttershy asked her, hesitating and trying to hide her embarrassment behind her pink locks.

Celestia giggled, a big fit of laughter, that crescended into a snorting chuckle.

“Fluttershy, if I agreed to date you, I believe it would be rather silly of me to never kiss my girlfriend.” Celestia retorted, with a slight snort, trying to compose herself. She could hear Philomena on her head letting out a squawk of her own.

“Squawk!” Philomena cried out. Philomena looked right at Fluttershy, before lifting herself up from Celestia’s mane, and pecking at Fluttershy’s muzzle.

“You’re right. I am being silly. It’s just… I never thought I’d be dating a Princess. What makes me special?”

“Squawk!!!!!” Philomena cried out, flying over to Fluttershy, and pushing her towards Celestia. The two were barely inches apart, as Philomena let out another squawk and tilted her head, waiting.

“I think she approves.” Celestia quipped back, leaning down, and pressing her lips against Fluttershy’s, finding out what it was like to taste an angel of pure beauty and wonders.

Fluttershy blushed deeply, but didn’t pull away. She leaned into the kiss gently, a bit nervously and returned it. The two muzzles connecting, and intertwining in an intimate, yet serene and gentle way. Fluttershy was finding out what it was like to kiss a Princess.

Hearth's Warming was a time to share love with family, and spread cheer and joy to others, but in this moment, Celestia wanted this angel all to herself. Suddenly, she couldn’t wait to go back to the cottage where Fluttershy lived, and get to know her on a deeper level. After all, she was her marefriend now, and even if others might look at them negatively, she didn’t care. She admired, and cared deeply for this timid pegasus.

“Looks like the train is boarding now, Fluttershy. Shall we go then?” Celestia asked her, gently. She waited.

“Oh, of course. We wouldn’ want to miss our train. I’m sure the other animals will be happy to see you again too. It’s not often they get a visit from a Princess.”

Celestia paused, she almost opened her lips to ask a question, but quickly shook her head, and followed Fluttershy onto the train, as she watched Fluttershy take the window seat.

Celestia sat down on the outside seat, as she heard whispers from the other passengers already speaking about her being on the train with regular ponies. She was a Princess after all. She didn’t need to take the train. But if she didn’t take it, she’d miss out on the joy of spending quiet time with her marefriend. Watching Fluttershy be fascinated and engaged in all the varieties of animals they saw through the window, as the train took off, was simply the most wonderful sight she could ever hope to see.

Celestia hoped to make many more memories with Fluttershy, but right now it felt good to just relax. She couldn't’ recall the last time she had gotten a break from all the stress and hassle of who she was. This felt like a refreshing change of pace. And there was no better mare to spend her holiday with, then the mare who had waltzed into her life so suddenly and reminded her of what love could feel like, all over again.

Comments ( 13 )

Aww! That was sweet.

That was the perfect Christmas/Hearth's Warming Gift I've had this year.

That was cute! Philomena was the perfect catalyst to get that ship sailing. :twilightsmile:

Oh my god. This is so cute i want to die absdhjflasdfnlasdf

This is an amazing gift! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank youuuuuuuuuu

eh
not the most egregious i've seen, but still not a great ship
you get no negative rating, mostly because you're trying something rare/new
if you or anyone tries to expand upon this, i sure hope you/they have an answer to the mayfly-december problem this ship presents

10601548
This was requested by Pethricord. They asked for CelestiaxFluttershy. I am sorry that it wasn't your cup of tea.
But I can't please every pony, no matter how hard I try. There will always be dislikes, and ponies that don't enjoy it. Hopefully, you can find stories that you enjoy. Have a nice day. :scootangel:

This was such a cute story to read. You did a really good job with this Nailah.

Aww this is so romantic 😍 and a very interesting shipping too 😊 merry Christmas 🎅 🎄

Nice story. Fluttershy and Cellestia isn't my ship, but why not.

That was a good story.

Comment posted by Maryfoster deleted Dec 20th, 2022

What a beautiful Story Fluttershy is there not only to help Celestia with Philomena but also to invite Celestia to a special holiday event or celebration. She wants to share the joy of Hearth's Warming Day with her and create a memorable experience together. Tell Happy Star

Thanks and regards
MichaelCrawford

Login or register to comment