• Published 1st Apr 2021
  • 3,347 Views, 56 Comments

As the Sun Sets, Twilight Covers. - Pickleless



Celestia converses with Sunset through the journal, shortly after she runs away.

  • ...
7
 56
 3,347

Take care of yourself

Hey.

Good morning Sunset, how are you? I apologize for leaving abruptly last night.

Don't worry about it. So I've been rereading our conversations. Thinking a lot on them, and I've come to view them in a different light.

Oh?

I have a favor to ask, but before that, I want to say a couple things first. This will take a bit, so give me a minute or two.

I can wait Sunset.

...

Love isn't a feeling, but a choice. It takes commitment, conscious effort to put time and energy to love someone, and if emotion blooms from that, great, but if not, you can still love someone. I think it's the same for hate. It's a choice, more than a feeling. I don't hate Celestia. I did, but now that I see things differently, I don't hate Celestia. In fact, despite how I feel, I love her, and I want what's best for her. I don't just want her to be safe, I want her to be happy. I'm working on helping the Celestia over here reach that point, but I can't help your Celestia anymore. Which leads to my favor. Can you promise me that you'll take care of Celestia?

...

Take your time, I expected tears.

These tears are not from pain.

I know.

I'm sorry.

What has you apologizing now?

...

I cannot make that promise.

Why not?

I can't keep Celestia safe.

Why not?

I'm not as strong as you think I am.

You're the strongest mare I've ever met. You just need to work on self maintenance a little bit.

You think too highly of me.

You think too lowly of yourself. Promise me you'll take care of Celestia?

Shouldn't you be asking me to take care of myself then?

I already know you'll put in the conscious effort to love Twilight. Promise me you'll take care of Celestia?

...

Please.

Sunset Shimmer.

Promise me.

I cannot.

You must, I insist. Promise me you will care for Celestia.

Why must I?

Because I love her.

...

I promise I will take care of Celestia.

Do you promise you won't let her die when she faces Luna?

Sunset.

Do you promise?

I can't Sunset.

You can, will you promise not to let her give up and get killed by her sister?

I promise I will not let Celestia get killed by her sister.

Will you promise to put in the effort to love Celestia, as much as you love others around you?

I promise Sunset, that I will take care of Celestia, that I will not let her sister kill her, and that I will put in the effort to love her as much as I love others.

Thank you.

...

You're crying.

These tears are not from pain.

...

I love you.

I love you too.

Comments ( 41 )

Well the colors are still broken for me, but the story is still good.

I am sad and at the same time I resonate with this. :heart:

Good story!

Beautiful.

Excellent use of color here to make the point.

Fuck, it's amazing how a few words can be so powerful. I really felt Celestia's voice with your choice of wording, thermal speech that started so rigid as Celestia tried to imitate a young foal. Spectacular work!

10749579
Twilight. You can tell that the initial green text is Celestia as she desperately reaches out to Sunset, possibly years or months before Twilight, whose text is lavender, picks up the book and writes in it. Sunset tells Twilight to piss off, Twilight then tells Celestia about this, and Celestia decides to impersonate her student as she writes to Sunset, essentially cat fishing the pony turned human as she tries to figure out what went wrong with their relationship.

Great short piece. This was especially well-paced: I went in without reading the descriptions—just the tags—and it really made the topics they addressed proper stand-ins for who they are.

This was a good story. I wonder why Sunset and Celestia never actually mentioned they both know what's going on, even though it's pretty clear to them both.

Wow, for a somewhat short piece, that was really emotional.
You can tell that both long for each other, despite Sunset's initial resistances.
It makes their reunion much later all that much sweeter

This was actually really uplifting. Sunset totally figured things out in the last chapter and began encouraging Celestia to love and forgive herself, never taking no for an answer just as Celestia did so earlier for her. We see forgiveness and growth from both of them, all in such a minimal context that we feel it, rather than just read the words. Eight thumbs up.

An excellent story, Pickleless. Great use of the colors and format. You really got Celestia and Sunset.

Really liked this story. Great job

Ah, I like this a lot! Thinking about the exchange from both characters' perspectives was great. Well done.

Well how about that, despite Celestia's best efforts this did not explode into a disaster of lies and recriminations. Lucky her.

Wait, someone clear this up for me, will you?

Twilight originally found the journal, hence why in the start the writing was in purple. She met Sunset, Sunset was a bit mean to her, and I assume that Twilight gave the book to Celestia.

So Celestia, realizing that Sunset believes the book is in someone else's care now, pretended to be Twilight so she could converse with Celestia, and Sunset could believe she was just talking to Twilight instead?

so simple yet so good. Very well done.

10750291
Celestia tries to contact Sunset, but Sunset ignores her. Later on, Twilight finds Celestia's copy of the journal and thinks that it's no longer active. She takes notes in it, which set off communication with Sunset. If you're interested in a story that follows this premise as is, I recommend The Witch of the Everfree, which has the same thing happen starting in Chapter 4. Instead of following that path, in this story Sunset demands that Twilight stop using the journal, which Twilight does after Sunset cuts off communication.

It's not clear whether Twilight gives the journal to Celestia directly, or Twilight follows Sunset's advice and simply puts it back where she found it. Either way, Celestia learns that Sunset responded to Twilight five times, which is five times more than Sunset has responded to her since their estrangement. Celestia pretends to be Twilight and contacts Sunset.

This works, and the resulting correspondence is the story.

It can be inferred that, in the final chapter, Sunset has come to realize to whom she is speaking. Note that Sunset only says "Twilight" once, and it's not in the form of direct address; it's in third person. Every other chapter, she calls the pony she's writing to Twilight, but for this one she only ever says "you". The direct breakdown is two times in chapter one, eight times each in chapters two and three, and none in chapter four.

In other news, this is a very well written story.


On a more selfish note, the reception it's gotten makes me feel a little better about a story idea I have where Celestia reenters Sunset's life under false pretenses.

10750471
Thanks for the breakdown! This was confusing, yet highly enjoyable!

Loved your presentation on this one! The way you set up the not-Twilight aspect was perfectly understated. And I appreciate the nuance of the final chapter, Sunset's realization and her final words to Celestia. Thank you for sharing!

Wow! Just... wow! That was beautiful man! :twilightsmile:
Adding to my favs! :pinkiehappy:

This was wonderful and heartfelt. I just hope they did meet each other again after that, even if it took some years to happen. I'm a sucker for reconciliation fucked l fics with those two :fluttercry:

I will put in the effort to love her as much as I love others.

One single letter tells so much. You take did a wonderful job with this one, well deserving of the favourite. Bittersweet, in the end :pinkiesad2:

Lol are they trying to cry all over the book? I am imagining Celestia slamming her face in the book trying to get rid of the tears lol

Well, this was delightful. :)

The story was quite good, espically at the end, though I think that the premise is let down in the blurb. Instead of having us think that Sunset is talking to Twilight and working out that its Celestia at the end, we know that from the start.

There's no mystery, we know the twist from the very beginning.

10749972
That tiny bit, I think it would feel more natural if Sunset just said "princess",
Nevertheless, a masterful piece. Went directly into my favorites.

Personally my favorite parent child relationship in the series , just so much room for drama and character development

Honestly I don't think with these events sunset would take the crown in this scenario I hope we get to see their reconciliation

10754179
Is that from the comic? If so it means nothing to me. Separate continuity.

10754205
It says she an orphan in the first chapter of this fic :/

Summarised thoughts on this story: Damn

10986848
Thx, I’m actually really proud of this stupid joke lol

I wonder if Celestia still writes to Sunset after this story if Luna got reformed like in the show. If she ended up not writing to her again because she was dealing with showing Luna the new world and taking care of Twilight which made Sunset think she was being thrown away again I think that would make for a good tragic sequel.

I keep coming back to this and wishing it was longer. It's executed so well, and explores a rare but beautiful dynamic. I wish we got to see more of Sunset and Celestia's conversations, but at the same time this story is perfect for how long it is. Wow.

Very good story!

Thank you.

Thank you for writing this. This is another story I will be adding to my favorites because I know I will have to reread this at some point for the good feels.

Again, thank you.

Login or register to comment