• Published 23rd Dec 2020
  • 814 Views, 18 Comments

Fire in the Frost - applezombi



During an involuntary break from her Wonderbolts duties, Spitfire volunteers to bodyguard a mysterious stranger.

  • ...
2
 18
 814

Chapter 3

“It’s w-winter over h-here, too?” Adagio shivered as the two of them stepped out of the castle and onto the snowy street.

“Sure is,” Spitfire said as the two of them trotted through the snow, leaving hoofprints behind in the fresh fall. “You didn’t bring winter clothing?”

“I was wearing it when I went through the portal,” Adagio grumbled. “But apparently the stuff you’re wearing doesn’t carry through.”

“Oh. Well, I’m sure we could wander back into the castle, see if Princess Twilight has something suitable.”

“Ugh. I would r-rather not be even more indebted to that…” she closed her mouth before she could say whatever invective Spitfire was sure was about to escape her lips. After a deep breath, she continued. “Don’t you have clothing stores?”

“Oh yeah,” Spitfire said. “Ponyville’s got a few vendors. I’m sure we could find something that works. A scarf, and maybe some boots and socks?”

“It sounds l-lovely, but I’m afraid my assets aren’t very liquid at the moment,” Adagio said mournfully. Spitfire wondered how a shivering unicorn discussing finances could somehow manage to sound so sensual.

“Well then, I have good news for you,” Spitfire said. “Princess Twilight said she has an account with all the sellers here in Ponyville. Anything we need will be charged back to the princess.”

“Oh! So I can run up a mountain of purchases, all of which will be charged to Twilight?” Adagio’s eyes widened with glee.

Spitfire shook her head. “No, I can,” she rolled her eyes. “And I still have to deal with her after you’re gone, so tread lightly, hm?”

“Killjoy,” Adagio pouted. “Well, at least our basic needs will be met.”

“I’m sure we can do better than basic.” Spitfire grinned. “One of the best designers in all Equestria lives right here in town. I know she’s away on vacation, but she’s left a friend in charge of her shop. I’m sure we could go splurge a bit.”

“That wouldn’t happen to be… Rarity, would it?” Adagio said carefully, and Spitfire glanced at her.

“You know Rarity?”

“It’s probably safe to say I know about her,” Adagio hemmed. “If this Rarity is anything like…” she trailed off, going silent.

“Princess Twilight wouldn’t tell me much about where you came from,” Spitfire said, curious. Adagio shook her head, her mane swaying about.

“Not much to say. It’s a nightmare on the other side, but I couldn’t exactly come back. I…” There was no hint of the casual sensuality she’d had before; the flirty seductress was gone, replaced with a mare that seemed unsure and maybe a little scared. “…sorry. You don’t need to hear about this. You’re just my babysitter for the day, after all.”

“Hey, Princess Twilight made it clear I was more than a foalsitter,” Spitfire said as the two of them reached the town proper. There were almost no ponies about; most ponies seemed to be indoors, sheltering from the light dusting of snow that was falling down. “I’m going to make sure you have a good time here, regardless of what else is going on.”

“Thanks,” Adagio whispered. She glanced about the town. “This place is… quaint. It looks like something out of a child’s storybook. Do you live here?”

“Me? Nah,” Spitfire tossed her mane. “I usually live up in Cloudsdale.” She fluttered her wings for emphasis.

“What brought you down to this little village?”

“I got grounded,” Spitfire said smugly. “I punched a reporter, and stomped on his camera a few times, so my bosses suspended me for a few weeks.”

“You’re joking,” Adagio’s eyebrows shot up, but when Spitfire merely grinned, she slowly smiled back. “You’re not joking. I’m starting to see why I liked you so much when we first met. You’re a bit of a bad girl yourself, aren’t you?”

Spitfire didn’t know why the accusation filled her with warmth. She matched Adagio’s confident sway, swishing her own tail alongside the unicorns.

“Maybe. The jerk snuck into a closed compound so he could take some pictures of some friends of mine making out.”

“So you chased him down and assaulted him?” Adagio asked. Spitfire glanced around. Technically there were still pending court cases, so she wasn’t sure how much she should be talking about out loud. But there was still almost nopony about. They were passing town hall, and from the lights inside, there was some sort of Hearth’s Warming event going on inside.

“Just a little,” Spitfire said proudly. “And only after he wouldn’t give me the camera.”

“Ooh, I like a girl that knows what she wants and takes it,” Adagio purred, and there was just the slightest flutter of butterflies in Spitfire’s stomach.

“I should have called security and had them deal with it,” she admitted.

“But you didn’t,” Adagio said. “You took the h-hooves on approach.”

“Yup. One of the better decisions I’ve ever made,” Spitfire said smugly. She hadn’t felt that way at the time, and she might regret it more later, but right now? No regrets in the slightest.

“Oh?”

“It got me suspended, which got me right here.”

This time Adagio reacted, blushing slightly. It could have been the cold. “F-flatterer.”

“C’mon, let’s hurry up and get you to the boutique.” She sped up to a trot, and Adagio followed after.

“You’re just d-doing this to show off your f-flank,” Adagio mock-complained, and Spitfire giggled.

“You’re admitting looking?” Spitfire made sure to bounce her step just a little more, and heard Adagio’s throaty laugh in response.

“Oh yes,” Adagio breathed, in a breathy voice that certainly stirred the butterflies to life in Spitfire’s stomach. “Admit it; you got a n-nice look back at the castle.”

Spitfire felt it wise to stay silent. They passed the town hall and approached the carousel shaped building that Spitfire had seen from the air before.

“This is Carousel Boutique,” she explained. “Rarity’s shop. I’ve never been here, but Dash says it’s the best around.”

“Of course Rainbow Dash would say that,” Adagio muttered, a little bitterly. “I wonder how alike they really were.” Spitfire glanced at her, but she’d already put up her usual sultry façade.

“Let’s go inside,” Spitfire said, a little nervously. Apparently there were parts of this mystery that were just a bit uncomfortable. She pushed the door open and heard the tinkling of bells above her head.

“Um, welcome to Carousel Boutique!” came the surprisingly male voice from inside. Spitfire was even more shocked when Princess Twilight’s bipedal dragon friend trotted over. What was his name? Spurt? Splash? “Oh, hey Spitfire. And, uh, have we met?” He stared intently at Adagio.

“Are you… Spike?” Adagio asked, and Spike’s eyes suddenly widened with recognition.

“You!” he shrieked, pointing with a claw. “What are you doing here?”

“Spike, calm down,” Spitfire inserted herself between them. “Adagio, close the door, it’s cold out there. Spike, we’re here on the Princess’ permission. Adagio is her guest in town. She didn’t tell you?”

“Yeah, she told me,” Spike muttered angrily. “But I didn’t expect her to show her face here.” He nearly spat.

“Spike, be nice,” Spitfire chided. “Adagio is here to get some winter clothes. You know coming through the portal makes the clothing you had on the other side disappear.” Spike flushed with anger, spinning and turning his back on the mares.

“Whatever. Well, I’m running the shop for a few days while Rarity is gone, so I guess just do what you have to do.”

“Princess Twilight also said something about an account for the castle? Charging things to the royal tab?”

“Yeah, I guess,” Spike growled. “Just keep her out of trouble.” He pointed with an accusing claw.

“Adagio is behaving perfectly,” Spitfire defended. “As opposed to a certain rude little dragon I know.” Spike’s wings fluttered with anger, and he huffed, a tiny puff of smoke seeping out of his nostrils. “C’mon, what would Rarity say about you treating paying customers this way?”

“But you’re not even paying, Twilight is!” he protested.

Spitfire shrugged. “I guess we could go to Barnyard Bargains. I’m sure they have scarves and socks there. I’ll just have to be sure to apologize to Rarity that we couldn’t give her any business.”

Spike took a deep breath. “Sorry. Don’t go.” His eyes still simmered, though. “The socks are on the shelves over there, as well as winter boots.” He pointed. “Scarves are over here, hanging on a rack.” He sighed. “Look, I’m sorry, but if you knew what that… that creature put us all through, you wouldn’t be so quick to trust her.”

“Princess Twilight trusts her. At least a little,” Spitfire said. “Enough to leave her here while she goes through the portal to deal with whatever’s going on.”

“Look, I don’t want to argue, okay?” Spike said. “Just don’t turn your back on her.” He retreated to the counter, clearly uninterested in more conversation. That didn’t stop his watchful eyes from following Adagio everywhere.

Spitfire huffed and walked over to the shelves he’d mentioned. There were dozens of socks, all warm-looking. She tried to ignore the suspicious dragon over in the corner and looked over the merchandise.

“I’m thinking I’d like some blue solids,” Spitfire said, picking up a set. Adagio was watching her carefully.

“You’re not going to ask?” Adagio whispered.

Spitfire shrugged. “Does it matter for sock shopping?”

The question appeared to catch Adagio by surprise, and she smiled. It wasn’t the sultry sort of half-grin she usually wore, but something a little more genuine, and heartfelt.

“Thanks for defending me,” she whispered, and moved over. “Blue solids? Hmm…put it up against your fur so I can get a better look.” Spitfire complied, and Adagio nodded approvingly. “Oh, those will do nicely. Now if I only get to watch you slip them slowly up your legs…”

That was more like it. Spitfire shook her head, laughing. “What about for you? Maybe white and purple stripes?” She found a likely set and held it out to Adagio. She obligingly held them up to her own fur. “Looks good.” The purple complimented her crimson eyes, and contrasted nicely against her yellow fur.

“Boots next?” Adagio asked.

Spitfire snorted. “You kidding? We’re shopping on the Princess’ bit, here, Adagio. We can’t just stop at one set.”

The smirk that Adagio gave her in return was almost vulpine. In the end, they went with three sets each. Boots were easier; they only needed one set each. And of course they had to get one matching scarf for each set.

“You sure this is what Twilight had in mind when she opened up her accounts to you?” Spike asked them skeptically as he tallied up their purchases. Spitfire smirked confidently.

“Sure it was, Spike.” She shrugged. “And if it wasn’t, it’s not like I don’t have money. Relax. If the Princess complains, I can cover it.”

“Whatever,” Spike shrugged with another suspicious stare at Adagio. “Changing rooms are over there.”

“Thanks, Spike.” At least one of them could be gracious.

“Do we need a changing room, though?” Adagio said far too innocently, a hoof to her chin. “It’s just socks.”

“Knowing you?” Spike snorted. “You’d make even something as simple as putting on socks into some sort of obscene display.”

“Why, thank you for the compliment, Spike,” Adagio curtsied. “Peed on any fire hydrants lately?”

Spike darkened. “Just put on your stuff and leave, Adagio. And try not to do anything weird in my town until you leave, okay?”

“Hm, I don’t know if I can restrain myself,” Adagio purred, and Spike scowled at her.

“Play nice, both of you,” Spitfire said with a roll of her eyes. “C’mon, let’s go get dressed.”

Adagio hadn’t been kidding about dressing in the open. She slowly unwrapped the first pair of socks, using only her teeth to slowly slide it up one of her forelegs. Spitfire blinked, her mouth dry. Her eyes were locked on the striped purple and white fabric as it slowly slid over the fur, stretching to tightly hug the contours of Adagio’s limb. Spitfire swallowed, before glancing up to meet her eyes. There was an increasingly familiar vulpine glimmer, of course, but Spitfire also saw invitation and challenge. She felt a growing flame of excitement in her belly. Competition she understood perfectly.

Slowly, and while deliberately keeping her eyes locked on Adagio’s, she unrolled her own set, and began to slowly slide it up her legs, using her nimble wingtips. She was rewarded when Adagio’s eyes dipped, following her actions for a brief moment before jerking back up. There was enough pink in Adagio’s face that Spitfire felt the familiar rush of victory.

It was such a little thing, a simple distracted glance, a few blood vessels in the cheeks heating up, but Spitfire knew the taste of winning. She made sure to keep running her feathers over her fur as she put on her own socks, and was rewarded with the sight of Adagio slipping in her own seductive motions once again, the sock slipping out of her teeth at least three more times. She couldn’t help but give a raspy chuckle.

“H-hey, don’t tease. I’ve never had to do this without hands before,” Adagio said, flustered. Spitfire was about to shoot back, when she heard Spike give a disgusted snort. Wincing, she realized she’d forgotten he was even there.

“I’m pretty sure I’m way too young to be watching this,” he said, glaring at them. “You both wanna be less weird and get going?”

“Sorry, Spike,” Spitfire mumbled, then glanced at Adagio. Adagio looked skeptical, then surprised, looking back and forth between Spike and Spitfire before finally groaning.

“S-sorry, Spike,” she acquiesced. Spike looked rather shocked at the apology.

They quickly pulled the rest of their socks on, laughing a little at the mutual embarrassment, before also slipping on their new boots and scarves. When they turned to leave, however, Spike spoke up again.

“Hey, uh, Spitfire? Adagio? Um, sorry I was a jerk.” Adagio gaped at him. “Um, yeah. And happy Hearth’s Warming.”

“You too, Spike,” Spitfire waved. “Thanks.”