• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 1,172 Views, 2 Comments

The Ones She Left Behind - tatony



Big McIntosh and Granny Smith deal with life and the farm after Applejack's move to Manehatten

  • ...
1
 2
 1,172

Chapter 2

“McIntosh, get yer plot over here! I made ya breakfast!” Granny Smith called out to her grandson. McIntosh had been working the fields since dusk and had skipped dinner the night before. He had been skipping meals to make sure all the work gets done. Granny Smith could see him walking over to her and Apple Bloom, the plow still attached to him. She had prepared the table with all of his favorite food. “Mac take that thing off and come eat wit’ yer family.” Granny Smith said as she poured him a glass of orange juice. McIntosh sat next to his baby sister who was eating from a small bowl. He began eating eggs with a piece of toast. Apple Bloom giggled and splashed her apple sauce around the table. “Apple Bloom, mind yer table manners.” Granny Smith told the foal.

“Apple! Apple!” Apple Bloom answered as she continued splashing the mush onto her big brother. McIntosh nuzzled his sister’s mane and continued eating. Apple Bloom learned her first word the day after her sister left and she was learning more of them very quickly. She was getting bigger and would be starting school in a few months.

“This little one’s sure is a handful.” And look at you McIntosh, all this farm work and you haven’t grown a lick of muscle.” She said as she drank her morning prune juice. “Well no need t’ worry ‘bout that, pretty soon you’ll be the biggest pony in Ponyville, then maybe even I’ll start calling ya ‘Big McIntosh.’ How ‘bout that?” She asked with a smile. McIntosh was silent. “Which reminds me; we got another letter from Applejack.” Granny Smith told to her grandson, Applejack had been sending a letter to them once every week since she left. “She’s usin’ a lot of big words, guessin’ yer aunt and uncle had been teachin’ her a lot.” McIntosh stayed silent. “Anyways, she says she still having trouble sleepin’, it’s really loud in the city, ya know. An’ that she misses us an’ not to worry she’s having a fine time.” McIntosh finished his eggs. “So that’s good, I guess, hmm?” She asked trying to get McIntosh to say something.

“Eeyup.” He answered as he grabbed a plate of apple slices.

“Please Mac, you’ve hardly say more than two words since yer sister left. Now I’m gonna write a letter and send it t' 'er tomorra, is there anything ya’d like me t’ say fer ya?”

“Nope.” McIntosh said as he reached for the leftover apple pie his Granny Smith had baked the night day before. She pulled it away from him.

“No mister, no pie til you tell me sumin' I can write to yer sister.” Granny Smith said as she covered the pie with her hooves.

“Come home.” He said, Granny Smith sighed and gave him a slice.

“Okay, fine, but I want ya ta get out of this slump. Can ya do that fer me?” Granny Smith had been having a hard time without her granddaughter, but McIntosh had taken it worse. Some nights she was able to hear him crying in his room. McIntosh didn’t respond.

“Now McIntosh, remember what ---” Granny Smith was stopped by an incredibly loud explosion.

“Macky, Granny, look.” Apple Bloom said, smiling and pointing at the sky above. “Rainbow boom. Rainboom!” She yelled clapping her hooves.

“Mac you got that book learnin’, what in tarnation is that?” Granny Smith asked, McIntosh could only stare and smile. And for a second he forgot all about his sister and just knew that everything would be okay.

“I don’t know.” He said as he picked up his baby sister so she could get a better look.

“Rainbow boom. Rainboom!” She yelled still smiling.

“Sure is.” McIntosh said to his little sister. When the colorful display in the sky began to fade he set his sister down and stood next his grandmother.

“I miss them.” McIntosh said with tears in his eyes. Granny Smith knew that McIntosh wasn’t only upset about his sister. He had lost his parents too and the only person who knew how he felt wasn’t with him anymore.“I know ya do Mac. I miss ‘em too and I love ‘em with all my heart.” Granny Smith said as she hugged her grandson. “But Applejack’s still with us and we gotta make sure she never forgets that we love ‘er. Just remember that she’ll always be yer little sister.” McIntosh dried his tears. The two stood in silence for a what felt like hours.

“Um … Granny.” McIntosh said quietly.

“What is it Mac?” Granny Smith asked holding tightly onto her grandson.

“I, uh, gotta go buck the Red Delicious trees.” McIntosh said.

“Oh, alright, if’n you think that that’s more important than hugging yer granny, then I’ll let ya go.” Granny Smith said with a chuckle. McIntosh nuzzled Apple Bloom and left to go work in the apple orchard. Hard work always helped him deal with is feelings. He passed the road his little his sister had taken to leave their farm and looked out into the hills she disappeared behind; he was finally able to look without crying. He continued his until noticing a shadow coming from a distance. As the figure got closer he saw it was pony, an orange and blonde pony.

“Granny!” He yelled, it was the first time in months he had raised his voice. “Granny, come here. Hurry!”

“I’m coming as fast as I can!” He heard his granny yell back at him. She stood with him at the farm’s entrance. The pony was running, getting closer and closer. “My word.” McIntosh heard his granny gasp. He began jumping back and forth, he never felt so happy. The small filly rushed into their embrace. The family stood at the farms archway in silence. McIntosh hugged his sister as hard as he could.

“Hey Big McIntosh, cut it out you’re gonna break me.” The filly said to her big brother. He ignored her.

“Hey AJ, you yer got cutie mark.” He said, unable to let go of his sister.

“Really! What is it?” She said as she struggled to get out of her big brother’s hooves. “Big McIntosh c’mon, let go, I want t’ see it.” McIntosh held on tight, he promised himself that he would never let her go again.

Comments ( 2 )

Wow, she ran home really quickly.:derpytongue2:

Cute! The only thing I could really find to criticize about it was the inconsistant spelling of Big Mac's (Little Mac's?) name, as you switched between Mac and Mc a couple times.

Login or register to comment