• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 15,129 Views, 814 Comments

Mare of Steel - iowaforever

  • ...
20
 814
 15,129

Part 1, Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The Wonderbolts training facility was on the far end of Cloudsdale, away from the housing and industrial quarters. The main facility was a large indoor area, complete with barracks, so that the Wonderbolts could train more or less undisturbed. There was a second outdoor facility right next to the main building, but due to the numerous hopefuls and overeager fans that hung out in the area the flying team only used it for special events.

Rainbow Dash landed outside the main facility, quickly checking to make sure no guards got the wrong idea and attacked her. Once she was certain nopony had thought she was an intruder, she approached the entrance to the building and pushed the door open. Inside, she could only see a few ponies, and most of them paid her little mind at first.

“Rainbow Dash?” Rainbow turned and saw Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts, standing behind her “What are you doing here?”

“Sorry, Spitfire, but I need to see Firefly.”

“She’s busy right now. Can you come back later?”

“No, I really need to see Firefly. Please, Spitfire, it’s really important.” Spitfire regarded Rainbow Dash for a moment, then sighed.

“I suppose I still owe you for saving those ponies from the statue at the Gala. Okay, Firefly’s on the track with Rapidfire. Just don’t tell anypony you were here, okay?”

“Okay.” Rainbow Dash gave a nod of thanks and made her way towards the track. Again, the Pegasi present did not pay her much attention, and some even waved to her as she passed. Rainbow Dash would have waved back, but she was focused on what lay ahead of her.

Mainly, the sound of Firefly shouting.

“Rapidfire, I’ve told you a hundred times that you’ve got to stop cutting your corners so close!” the source of the voice was a pink Pegasus mare with a slightly grayed blue mane. She was standing with her back to Rainbow Dash, all of her focused placed upon the Wonderbolt standing in front of her.

“I’ve tried, but it cuts back on my speed, and you’re always preaching about speed.” Rapidfire said.

“Oh, of course. I can tell you all about speed when you’re in traction for turning too sharp and slamming into a wall! Get back out there and watch your turns, or I swear to Celestia I will buck you into the nearest pillar!”

“Yes ma’am.” Rapidfire turned and took off down the track. Now that Firefly was no longer occupied, Rainbow Dash stepped forward.

“Um, Mom?” Firefly turned, her face showing a mix of surprise and joy.

“Rainbow?” Firefly laughed, then raced forward and hugged Rainbow Dash “Oh, it’s so good to see you!”

“Good to see you too, Mom.” Rainbow Dash said, returning the hug.

“I’ve been meaning to visit, but I never get the chance. I swear, if it wasn’t for me these ponies couldn’t do their routines if you gave them cheat sheets.” Firefly laughed again before dropping down on all fours “So, how are things in Ponyville?”

“Pretty good. I got myself a pet tortoise.”

“Really? I always thought turtles were cool.”

“Um, they’re not the same thing.”

“Eh, that doesn’t matter. So, anything else?”

“Yeah...” Rainbow Dash looked away and shuffled her hooves a bit.

“Rainbow, something is wrong, isn’t it? Did you get fired from your weather job?”

“Huh? No, of course not.”

“Are you getting married?”

“No, it’s just...” Rainbow Dash shuffled some more before deciding to tell Firefly everything “Why didn’t you tell me where I came from?” All the joy rushed from Firefly’s face. The older mare staggered back, as if Rainbow Dash had just disowned her.

“I... I wanted to, I really did, But your father and I... we were scared.”

“Scared? Scared of what I was? Scared that your alien daughter might hurt you?”

“No. We thought... the guards would find you and take you away from us... you were so young we didn’t want to hurt you like that.” Firefly sat down on the ground “When did you find out?”

“... A few days ago, this rock showed up in my room and when I touched it I got sick. The next few days were fine, except that I started doing... things. Things I’d never done before.”

“Like?”

“I splintered a tree with a kick, I flew from my house to Ponyville in under thirty seconds without feeling stress, and I looked clear through a pony’s saddlebags. My friend said it was my magic overloading, but Princess Celestia said I was... Kryptonian, whatever that means.” Now it was Rainbow’s turn to sit “I got mad. I said a few things I shouldn’t have... I don’t want to be some alien monster.”

“You are not a monster, Rainbow Dash. You’re still a pony, even if you weren’t born on this planet.”

“But what if I-”

“Rainbow Dash, I raised you since you were a little filly, and never once was there anything that told me you were dangerous. And if your definition of monster is simply ‘big scary thing that doesn’t look like a pony’, not only do you not fit that definition but you need to broaden your views of the world.” Rainbow Dash was silent for a moment.

“How did you find me?” she asked.

“Well, first off, your father was a lousy driver...”

................

Firefly looked up at the sky, then back down at the cart. The current remains of the left wheel were strewn across the road, and the various food stuffs inside the cart had spilled on the floor and slid to one side. Beneath the cart, struggling to get the spare wheel unstuck, was her husband Thunderhead, a gray-coated Pegasus who was nowhere near as good at repairs as he liked to say he was.

“This is your fault, you know.” she said.

“Yes, you have reminded me for the past five minutes of that and I am well aware that it was, in fact, my fault.” Thunderhead yanked the wheel out from under the cart and crawled back out.

“Well, at least you acknowledge it.”

“Sure... You do know it’s as much your fault as it was mine.”

“Was not.”

“Says the mare who was tickling my flanks.”

“Oh, right... yeah, I guess I did do that.” Firefly blushed and looked away.

“Hey, it wasn’t that bad until we crashed.” Thunderhead pulled a jack from the cart and began to set it up beneath the cart. “Since it was partially your fault, you mind helping me out here?”

“Sure.” Firefly trotted over to her husband “What do you need me to do?”

“I want you to hold on to that wheel and make sure to slip it on as soon as I get the axle off-” he was interrupted by a large explosion in the field next to them. The ground shook and a massive cloud of dust flew up in the air, obscuring any visibility. Firefly yelped in fright and grabbed on to Thunderhead, and both of them ducked in case there was any falling debris.

“Wha... What was that?” Firefly asked. She released her husband and looked around, searching for any signs of danger. There was still plenty of dust in the air, but she could see the faint outline of something half-buried in the ground “Should we go have a look?”

“Are you crazy? What if it’s some monster come to kill us?”

“I think it would have killed us by now. Besides, what if it’s a pony? Maybe those unicorns in Canterlot tried to send somepony into space and their capsule crashed.”

“You read too much science fiction.”

“Oh, and you don’t?” Firefly swatted Thunderhead with her tail and trotted towards the field, Thunderhead following soon after. As they neared the object, they were able to get a clear look at it; it was large, about the size of two ponies, and cylindrical in shape. Due to dirt and a fair amount of soot it was hard to tell what color the thing was, and the sides looked as if somepony had taken a heavy mallet to them.

And crawling away from the wreckage, dazed but otherwise unhurt, was a filly Pegasus. Its coat was light blue, and the little tuft of hair that comprised its mane was a wide spectrum of colors. Firefly stopped when the filly looked towards her, large magenta eyes staring at the older mare in awe.

“Thunder. It’s... it’s a filly.” Firefly took a step towards the foal “Can we keep her?”

“Now I know you’re crazy.” Thunderhead said “You want to adopt some pony that fell out of the sky and nearly killed us.”

“Look at her, she’s only a baby; it’s not like she was trying to kill us.” Firefly took another step towards the filly. The filly did not run, but instead stood rigid and focused on Firefly.

“Firefly, stop this. Do you have any idea what you’re doing?”

“Thunder, she’s harmless, and I think she’s scared.” Firefly was now only a few feet away from the filly, who had not moved from her spot “Hey, don’t be scared. I want to help you.” Firefly said, trying to calm the foal. The filly smiled and ran over to her, her tiny wings buzzing in happiness. Once the smaller pony reached Firefly, the older mare gently scooped her up in her hooves and nuzzled her.

“See?”

“I... well...”

“Thunder, you and I always wanted to have kids, and since I... well, can’t...”

“Firefly, please don’t bring that up.”

“No, it’s okay. I just... maybe this is our chance to have a foal of our own.” Firefly felt something tugging at her neck and noticed the filly had wrapped her forelegs around her in an attempt at a hug “Please? For us?”

“I... All right, she can come with us.”

“Thank you, Thunder.” Firefly looked at the filly “Would you like that? Do you want me to be your mommy?” the filly smiled again and nodded, causing Firefly to laugh and place the foal on her back.

“How are we going to explain this though? We can’t just say she fell out of the sky in a spaceship.”

“I have a friend who works in the Royal Archives; she can get us some birth certificates and adoption papers to fill out.” They walked back to their cart, the little filly smiling all the way “What should we name her?”

“You really want to do that now?”

“Well, why not? Better now than when we start explaining to ponies how we got a child.”

“Okay... Any ideas?”

“Well, something with rainbows, obviously.” Firefly pointed to the small bits of rainbow fur on the filly.

“I’ll think of something. Meanwhile, I’ve got to get this cart fixed.” Thunderhead picked up the spare wheel and moved towards the cart. “Here, hold on to the wheel so I can get this level.”

“Okay.” before taking the wheel, Firefly turned and plucked the foal off her back and set her down on the ground. “How much longer?”

“Not much. Next time we’ve got to get a lighter cart; this one takes too long to-” there was a creak before the jack slipped out from beneath the cart, threatening to drop the cart on Thunderhead’s back. He yelped in surprise and jumped back, almost knocking Firefly over in the process.

“Thunder! Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. The stupid jack slipped but I think I’m fine... where’s the foal?” The two ponies looked around, searching in vain for the filly.

“She must have run off... oh dear, what if she gets caught by a manticore or-” Firefly stopped talking when she looked back at the cart. The filly was standing underneath it, her little legs pushing up against the bed of the cart. What was more surprising was that she was showing no sign of strain, and she was still smiling just as before. Firefly had heard of Pegasus foals having abnormal bouts of strength, but this was unheard of.

“... That’s actually kind of cool.” Thunderhead said after a long pause.

“Yeah... is now a bad time to say that I think Rainbow Dash is a good name?”

“No, I don’t think it is a bad time...”

...................

“... and that’s how we found you.”

“So, I saved Dad’s life when I was a baby?”

“More or less. Your strength mellowed out a bit after that, so you never did anything like that again.”

“But, that spaceship thingy I was in... what happened to that?”

“Well, lucky for you there was a storm scheduled for that afternoon, and say what you will about your father’s driving skills he was very good at creating lightning strikes. That’s why I married him in the first place; he could get very creative with bursts of energy.” Rainbow Dash shuddered at an unpleasant image that came into her thoughts.

“But, I mean, you still could have told me about what I was.”

“You were young, and we didn’t want you to feel like you were different than other ponies.”

“Like how I feel now?”

“I know this is a lot to take in, but it’s nothing to be afraid of. You have an amazing gift, Rainbow, and it would be a shame if you kept it away from everypony else.”

“But... What if they don’t like this? What if they shun me because I’m something they don’t like? I don’t want to deal with that... I don’t want this ‘gift’, I just want to be a normal pony.”

“Rainbow Dash, you are anything but a normal pony. Even before you found out about this, you were never just a ‘normal pony’. Remember what your dad said to you, the day before you got your cutie mark?”

“Yeah... yeah I do.”

................

Rainbow Dash was sitting outside her house, watching the Pegasi return from their various jobs. While she watched, she picked at little pieces of cloud and swatted them around with her hooves in an attempt to alleviate the situation.

“Rainbow Dash?” Rainbow turned and saw her father standing behind her “Why are you sitting out here by yourself?”

“Hey Dad,” Rainbow Dash said “I had a bad day at flight camp today.”

“Oh?” the older Pegasus sat down next to his daughter “Care to tell me about it?”

“Do I have to?”

“The only way it’s going to get better is if you talk to somepony about it. What’s wrong?” Rainbow Dash looked away, briefly swatting at a few small bits of cloud.

“Well... those bullies at flight camp were really mean today, especially to that one filly, Fluttershy. I wanted to do something, wanted to make them less mean, but I couldn’t...”

“‘Make them less mean’? How would you do that?”

“I don’t know. Maybe beat them up or something.”

“That’s only thinking on their level, Dash. They want you to do that, and if you do it only puts you one step closer to being just like them. Do you want to be like that, being mean to ponies and hurting others?”

“No. I don’t want to hurt anypony... But, all those things they said, it made me feel bad, especially for Fluttershy. They said we weren’t anything special, and that we were terrible fliers.”

“You are an amazing flier, Rainbow Dash, and don’t let anypony tell you otherwise. And you are special; heck, you’re probably more special than you realize.”

“But, all the adults I’ve met said that everyone is special...”

“That’s true, but you’re not just anypony,” Thunderhead turned Rainbow Dash towards him “One day, you’re going to have to make a choice. You’re going to have to decide what kind of mare you want to grow up to be. Whoever that mare is, good character or bad, she’s going to change the world.”

“Me? I’m going to change the world?”

“Of course you will.”

................

“Do you think he was trying to tell me the truth back then?”

“Maybe. I lived with him for twenty eight years and I never really figured out most of what he did.” Firefly sighed and shifted her position “I don’t think the other ponies will shun you. Sure, they may be scared just because you are a little different, but have more faith in them and they will come around.”

“I guess...” there was a pause before Firefly stood up.

“If you’re still having doubts, there’s something I want to give you.” Firefly trotted over to a nearby wall, where a pair of saddlebags was waiting. she opened the nearest bag and pulled out an object wrapped in a blue cloth. “Your father found this in the wreckage of the ship you landed in. He wanted me to give it to you if you ever found out about who you were.” she placed the object before Rainbow Dash and pulled back the cloth.

It was a green crystal, only about five or six inches long. It looked more like a shard of glass than a gem, except that it lacked the small air bubbles usually found in glass. Like the rock, it glowed green with some kind of energy, but Rainbow Dash felt more at ease with this crystal than she ever did with the rock.

“What is it?”

“I’m not sure. I haven’t really thought about finding out, but every time I’ve touched it I hear... voices, like there’s somepony inside wanting to be released.” Rainbow Dash picked the crystal up in her hooves, searching of any indication of what it was.

“What am I supposed to do with it?”

“That’s for you to figure out. I’ve never gotten it to do anything, but maybe you can.” Rainbow Dash smiled a little and stood up.

“Thanks for the talk, Mom. I... I really needed it.”

“You’re welcome, Rainbow.” Rainbow Dash tucked the crystal behind her wing and prepared to leave.

“I think I need some time to clear my head.”

...................

Another Pony Pet Play Date had arrived, yet they were still short one pony.

“Maybe she got sick again and couldn’t come...” Fluttershy said.

“No, I don’t think that’s it.” Twilight said “She did seem kind of distraught after she met with the princess.”

“Wait, why’d Rainbow go to see the princess?” Applejack asked.

“Well, I had a theory that Rainbow Dash’s internal magic was overloading and could have killed her, so I told her Princess Celestia might have been able to help.”

“Did she?”

“I don’t know... but I really shouldn’t pry.” the conversation was interrupted by a buzzing sound. The group looked and saw Tank flying towards them, a small scroll in his mouth. The tortoise landed in front of them and spat out the scroll, which Twilight then picked up with her magic and opened.

Hey guys,
Sorry I couldn’t make it to the Pony Pet Play Date, but the last train for Seaddle leaves early and I want to make it on time.
I suppose I should have said that earlier. Well... I’m leaving Ponyville for awhile. I just have a lot on my mind right now and I need somewhere to clear my head. Don’t worry, I’m coming back... someday.
There should be an address here, so if you want to stay in touch you can send letters to me. I’m not the best at responding, though, so you’ll have to wait a few days.
Oh, and if you can make sure that nopony breaks into my house while I’m gone that would be great. Oh, and if Fluttershy can take care of Tank, that would be great too.
I’ll miss you guys.

Rainbow Dash

Twilight set the note aside and looked at her friends. “Do you think there was something we could have done to help her?” she asked.

“Sounds like she’s tryin’ to figure it out for herself. Don’t worry about it, Twi; Rainbow’s a strong pony an’ I’m sure she’ll come back right as rain.” Twilight nodded and looked back at the note.

“I hope you’re right, Applejack... I really do.”

Author's Note:

Since Thunderhead is a Pa Kent expy, we can kind of figure out what happened to him...
Anyway, next chapter will find Rainbow in Seaddle, hanging with old friends, and possible appearances of Trixie and other characters of lower moral standards
I own nothing except the OCs and likes and comments are appreciated.